Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Appreciation Thread!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Appreciation Thread!! - Page 27

post #391 of 841

From what I could hear at the SF Bay Area meet, the M100 has more of a v-shaped response than the ES10. It has slightly bigger soundstage due to being over-ear rather than on-ear, but as a result, everything sounds a bit more laid back than the ES10, which is very forward and in-your-face.

 

That said, ES10's bass is more forward and has greater impact than M100 to my ears. If that's what you mean by "kick".

post #392 of 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-P View Post

From what I could hear at the SF Bay Area meet, the M100 has more of a v-shaped response than the ES10. It has slightly bigger soundstage due to being over-ear rather than on-ear, but as a result, everything sounds a bit more laid back than the ES10, which is very forward and in-your-face.

That said, ES10's bass is more forward and has greater impact than M100 to my ears. If that's what you mean by "kick".

So which has more bass presence/is bassier in general (sub bass and mid bass). Lol, I'm a basshead.
post #393 of 841

It's quite hard to tell to be honest.

 

M100 gave me that atmospheric warm tone that I usually hear in a movie theater. But it's a bit loose, and the impact isn't quite there.

 

ES10 has cleaner, tighter, more controlled bass, with more impact. I think part of that is because ES10 has bigger driver diameter than M100, so it can move more air.

 

I think that if you like to have your ears massaged, then M100 will do that. But if you like to have your ears punched, then ES10 will do that.

post #394 of 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-P View Post

It's quite hard to tell to be honest.

M100 gave me that atmospheric warm tone that I usually hear in a movie theater. But it's a bit loose, and the impact isn't quite there.

ES10 has cleaner, tighter, more controlled bass, with more impact. I think part of that is because ES10 has bigger driver diameter than M100, so it can move more air.

I think that if you like to have your ears massaged, then M100 will do that. But if you like to have your ears punched, then ES10 will do that.

Hmm, they both sound very appealing. Btw, is $320 for a used ES10 too good to be true?
post #395 of 841

$320 seems like standard pricing to me.

 

I saw a $260 ES10 in the for sale section the other day. If you're looking for one, I think that's the better deal.

 

And don't mind the scratches on the ear cups. There's nothing you can do about it... short of sanding the sucker down.

post #396 of 841

I have been so incredibly intoxicated with now 500 hours burned in ES10 and MHd-Q7. The pairing seems to be a match made in heaven. I highly recommend it.

I am having a hard time listening to anything else. 

post #397 of 841

anyone knows where can i source for pads for esw11 ltd except ebay ? found a couple ones from ebay @60usd+

post #398 of 841
I would also like to say the es10 with the esw9 pads have a rare liveliness and air to the sound that is not on most portables.
With the m100 you are definitely getting a different sound wich is rich and more laid back and yes ear bass massage but my point is:
Different mids and presentation.
Edited by Maxx134 - 5/8/13 at 1:32pm
post #399 of 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Allen View Post

Like mine, too.  A couple of impressions.  They are much more comfortable than ES7s - a nice padded headband and my ears actually fit within the pads (thanks to the larger drivers.)  I'm sure someone will ask how they compare to ES7s, but I can't answer that question since I passed my pair on to my son at college before receiving my ES10s  Agree that these need an amp to shine, otherwise you'll be left wondering what all the hoopla was about since they sound pedestian if unamped.  I use mine at work (now an official member of the high priced audio gear at work club) with a Go-Vibe 7 amp and either a 2G Nano or 6G Shuffle. Not particularly impressed at low volumes, but things certainly rock as the volume goes up.  I bought these for the bass to listen to electronica and the numerous variations thereof and feel they deliver.  The mids and highs are there (no sibilance) and are relatively balanced vis-q-vis with the bass.  I don't find them fatiguing to wear at all, whether due to fit issues or the sound (unlike with my ATH-AD900 where the emphasized mids and highs get to me after about an hour).  Small, unobtrusive (roughly 4' cable), and comfortable, they fill a niche for me.  Are they worth $400?  IMHO, not as your primary can and not without an amp.  Let me post a disclaimer here that I've been on a buying binge the last few months and will admit that my impressions are based on casual use at work and in competition with other headphones.  Loving my KH-K1000 right now.  smily_headphones1.gif

 

The thread title should be revised form ATH-ES-10 to ATH-ES10 to allow folks to find this thread using Google or the search function.

 

blitzraider, I see that you also have a A900ti.  How do they compare with the ES10?

They really do need an amp? Would a FiiO E6 be good enough? Also, I generally keep my iPhone volume level around halfway (I <3 my hearing). Will I still get the full effect of these?

post #400 of 841

Hi everyone. Where did you order your replacement parts for the ATH-ES10?

post #401 of 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv My BASS 1 View Post

They really do need an amp? Would a FiiO E6 be good enough? Also, I generally keep my iPhone volume level around halfway (I <3 my hearing). Will I still get the full effect of these?

What does an amp have to do with volume........almost nothing.rolleyes.gif

post #402 of 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallan View Post

What does an amp have to do with volume........almost nothing.rolleyes.gif

I didn't necesarially say that they were related, but I was just wondering if these two independent factors were crucial to a pleaseant ES10 experience.
post #403 of 841

It's okay, just sayin'.... well yeah, usually headphones that i have own sound better with an amp although i have had one exception when using a configuration that i liked better with out.  Rare though.  Never used a Filo though.  ES10 is enjoyable either way but better with an amp imo.

post #404 of 841

if you guys can ever have the chance try the MHd-Q7 with ES10. Out of he 6 amps I owned and the dozen I tried MHd-Q7 has a magical pairing with the ES-10.


Edited by audionewbi - 5/17/13 at 2:44am
post #405 of 841

Just ordered a pair of these. I'm really excited because I've been curious about these for a long time. I have the Momentum and MDR-1R on hand to compare so it will be interesting to see how these do against more recent entries.

 

Question: just where is everyone getting these ESW11 earpads anyway? :0

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Appreciation Thread!!