still undecided about these... it's so confusing choosing stuff you can't get to try before committing my hard earned scheckles.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Help headphones for rap/hip hop 90% of the time Last post on 1/7/12 at 4:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- Detox Beats by Dre Last post on 8/4/11 at 7:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Itching 2 Upgrade ! [m50] Last post on 7/19/11 at 2:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Looking Portable Headphones Last post on 6/14/11 at 12:48pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Closed rock/metal headphones Last post on 7/2/11 at 2:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Edited on 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeEdited on 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaEdited on 1/6/13
Reposting my original review from Amazon.com - these headphones are just too good to be left in the dustbin of history - for instance, I just bought a pair of Monoprice MEP-933, listed everywhere...
Somehow, the Ballad of Jed Clampett comes to mind, as I start to write this. You know, the Beverly Hillbillies. He was living his life, struck gold, and everything changed. That's kind of what...
Hi, Head-fiers. This is my first post as a newbie in the forum. I will give a short introduction of myself. I am 18 years old currently studying in high-school. I love headphones because...
Build Quality: For something hand built, the overall build quality is quite good. Of course, it isn’t nearly as perfect as something from a plastic molding machine but it is far ahead from the...
Disclaimer: My only other good cans to compare these to are Beyerdynamics DT770 (250). I fully realize this review will be biased because of that. So please keep that in mind. This review is my...
Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Appreciation Thread!! - Page 12post #166 of 4287/29/12 at 4:54am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #167 of 4288/1/12 at 4:25ampost #168 of 4288/2/12 at 4:35pmpost #169 of 4288/2/12 at 7:29pmpost #170 of 4288/3/12 at 4:44am
I've been eyeballing these for a while. In the big "shoot-out" review here, they are compared to be similar to the Senn HD25-1 II, which I own. After rotating through my current HP collection, I picked the HD25s back up and found ---- I really like them! I'm extremely bored with my AT m50.
So the question for me is ---- is it worth the expenditure for these babies, or can I save my money and get a similar sound sig from my HD25s? Obviously no one can answer this, I'm just fishing for informed opinions.post #171 of 4288/7/12 at 9:04amListening to Depeche Mode is a dream on these. I love the ES10's unabashed sense of fun and musicality while still remaining refined. And the bass... just how I like it! Deep and plenty of impact. It's funny, I put these on every time, not expecting much, until I turn on the music... I am impressed every time.
The only thing I wish for was better build on the cable - seems kinda fragile for such an expensive can. And isolation - if only it was up to HD25/DT1350 standards! I may fiddle around with different pads.post #172 of 4288/7/12 at 2:02pmpost #173 of 4288/10/12 at 9:33amSo here are some of my impressions:
If Grado and Ultrasone had a baby, it would be the ES10. Absolutely FUN headphone while being very detailed from top to bottom. The bass is deep and impactful - definitely has the punch I crave. The mids are oh-so-slightly recessed but are crystal clear. The highs are sparkly but smooth simultaneously. I'd say the overall signature is on the fun aggressive side. If you like the HD25s this will be a great upgrade -plenty of PRaT and power which makes metal, rock, and electronica a blast to listen to. This headphone is just unabashed fun. The form factor is actually perfect - looks great on my head and it's very comfortable.
Now for some quibbles. The tonality is not very natural as the headphone is on the colder, brighter side. The decay is great but the tonality itself is slightly off from being realistic. Not a problem if you don't care for something like that. I wish the wire was just a little stronger and thicker but it still looks durable as long as you take care of it. And last but not least, isolation. It's just fine if you are not planning to use on the train/bus but it would've been great if I could use them in those conditions.
Other than that, these are very fun headphones and refined. If you like an aggressive yet smooth sound sig these should be up your alley. A lot of genres shine on these, especially metal, rock, and electronica.
Just because of my preferences, I will probably put these on the FS forum soon in order to put the funds toward something more isolating. If I could afford these and get something else however, these would absolutely be in my stable of cans.
Edited by roma101 - 8/10/12 at 9:37ampost #174 of 4288/10/12 at 4:25pmpost #175 of 4288/10/12 at 11:59pm
I think there's a definite metallic tinge to the sound. Perhaps the titanium cups are to blame? So I can see how some might think that the ES10 are cold. I'd say that the overall sound to me it warm and crispy.
Hmmm. Now I feel like eating something fried...
Edited by Danneq - 8/11/12 at 12:02ampost #176 of 4288/11/12 at 6:37ampost #177 of 4288/11/12 at 3:07pm
Just the opposite impressions.. Warm and forward sounding mids. The emphasis is on the bottom end and mids so I just cannot see how these could be bright as there is (relatively) less energy in the highs. I did make an extension cable for it and that brought a more balanced sound overall- opening up the highs and tightening up the low end to some extent which in turn helped to clean up the mids.
post #178 of 4288/11/12 at 8:23pmIt's all subjective in the end afterall. Those are just my impressions.
The sound of these is addicting. Even my girlfriend wants me to keep them and she's not very fond of my expensive hobby.
Edited by roma101 - 8/11/12 at 8:25pmpost #179 of 4288/12/12 at 3:04pmQuote:
Exactly!post #180 of 4288/12/12 at 6:08pmHm, I don't hear forward mids at all. They're not very recessed (the presentation as a whole is slightly v-shaped but still very balanced) but vocals are slightly distanced to my ears in relation to the other instruments, which IMO is a good thing. Perhaps the differences we are hearing have to do with the recordings and the volumes we are listening at.
- Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Appreciation Thread!!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 10 seconds ago
- › Head-Fi-dentification! 19 seconds ago
- › Is burn in real or placebo? 26 seconds ago
- › Which IEM should I buy next among these...?... 42 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 59 seconds ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl who is now 30! ~ Part 2 1 minute ago
- › Dark Voice 339 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread 1 minute ago
- › Dallas, TX - Sunday, June 9th, 2013 - The "Not Quite In The Oven... 1 minute ago
- › Portaphile Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Philips in-Ear Headphones Crystal Sound SHE9620/28 (Rose Gold) by DozerCSX
- › Sony MDR-NC40 Noise Canceling Headphone (Black) by UmustBKidn
- › Sennheiser Momentum by iSennheiser
- › [Apollo] IEM Upgrade Cable by Effect Audio by ClieOS
- › Audio Technica ATH-M40FS Precision StudioPhones by UmustBKidn
- › JVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black... by daleb
- › Koss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphones by julian67
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by GSARider
- › Denon AH-D600 by johangrb
- › Sennheiser HD 250 Linear II by xEcuToR
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe