New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chicago Mini Meet - Saturday May 14th - Page 4  

post #46 of 91
I'll put it on the cendar, and bring some demo material.

Jim
post #47 of 91

I would love to go.  I won't be able to know if I could actually make it until a few days before the meet.  I am really interest to in rsa products and would love to see it in person before I order; so put me down but I am not 100 percent sure yet.


 

post #48 of 91

Hi Everyone,

I hope this isn't out of line (just tell me if it is).

If the attendees are interested I can bring some items that I might like to sell.

Save on shipping!

PM me if interested.

TR

post #49 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokushu View Post

I would love to go.  I won't be able to know if I could actually make it until a few days before the meet.  I am really interest to in rsa products and would love to see it in person before I order; so put me down but I am not 100 percent sure yet.


 


You are officially added.  Hope you can make it.

 

post #50 of 91

I plan on attending.  I can bring a bottlehead crack (sans speedball, perhaps some would like to A/B them), emu 0404 usb, as well as HD600 and beyer dt880/600.

post #51 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlobby View Post

I plan on attending.  I can bring a bottlehead crack (sans speedball, perhaps some would like to A/B them), emu 0404 usb, as well as HD600 and beyer dt880/600.


Added.  With just over 2 weeks to go, looks like a good mini meet turnout.

 

post #52 of 91

well i see that my name is already on the list and i'm glad that this thing is OFFICIAL! Really awesome that this meet is on the weekend right after my finals and also on the same weekend as the Chicago pen show. Going to be a fantastic weekend for me heehee.

 

Oh i'll be bringing the Grado HF 2 since no one will be bringing them.

 

Oh and if anyone has a algorhythm solo, can you bring it too? Pretty please??


Edited by xuan87 - 4/28/11 at 8:25pm
post #53 of 91

Hey Warp, sorry to burst your bubble regarding those cables but I'm not sure they are really worth their price...check this site:

 

http://www.epidauro.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5089

 

To me it pretty much looks like an equalizer box, which is why it appears to sound 'different'.  Anyhow, putting that many caps in a signal path sounds like a really bad idea.

 

mitoraclev2.1_.jpg

 

mitoraclev2.1__.jpg
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Addict View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by warp08 View Post





He didn't respond to my question, so I decided to let the man work on his new amp instead.  I bring what I have.  I'm also testing these from MIT with my new system:

 

 




Interesting. I have wondered about adding those network boxes since it just adds another piece into the signal. However, I know MIT and Transparent have been pretty successful.


 


Edited by monsieurguzel - 4/30/11 at 6:51pm
post #54 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieurguzel View Post

Hey Warp, sorry to burst your bubble regarding those cables but I'm not sure they are really worth their price...check this site:

 

http://www.epidauro.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5089

 

To me it pretty much looks like an equalizer box, which is why it appears to sound 'different'.  Anyhow, putting that many caps in a signal path sounds like a really bad idea.

 

mitoraclev2.1_.jpg

 

mitoraclev2.1__.jpg
 



 


Thanks for the link.  Actually, I think they are more like resistors, which are used to alter the impedance between 3 different settings.  I've never ever switched them, because the standard imp for analog IC is 75Ohms, so the mid-setting is appropriate for me and that's how I broke them in.

 

How else could you "switch" impedance setting of an interconnect?  I'm no EE major, BTW.  I'm asking a question.

 

As someone who actually evaluated these cables with the source gear I have, they are better than anything I've heard so far to my ears, resistors in the signal path or not.  Could there be better ones out there?  Sure.  Stealth makes even more expensive ones, and even MIT's own MA-X line analog interconnects (at 3x the price tag of these is supposed to offer even better performance.  I can't afford to step up to those now.  If I could I would sure to audition them.

 

I think for a $20K source gear (actual pre-owned cost, not retail), spending $3-4K is within ballpark on ICs.  I had a chance to A/B these at the home of the seller I've purchased my ESOTERIC P-03 transport from.  He spent 5 months to evaluate a number of different ICs (both digital and analog) until he ended up with the MITs.  He had a dCS Scarletti DAC, not a D-03.  Regardless, the MIT Oracles sounded noticeably better than any of the other ones--all name brand designer cables--he had there.  The difference wasn't subtle either, a few minutes of critical listening is all it took to see where he was coming from and I was sold.  The key edge was PRAT.  Immense visceral impact and fast attacks by virtually all instruments across the audible spectrum including the piano was quite evident.  So if these resistors in the signal path cause any "harm" it sure wasn't evident the way these actually sound.

 

I have no financial interest at all in any of the cable manufacturers out there, BTW.  A month ago I wasn't even aware MIT existed.  I just wanted to provide a little bit of background history behind this particular "bubble."  BTW, all you need to do is search the Audiogon MIT section and you see these cables sell pretty fast on the used market, particularly in good condition.  I guess there are others out there who like them as well.  But the price I paid for them, I could easily sell them within days.

 

post #55 of 91


Impedance is a combination of resistance & capacitance so there would have to be both caps & resistors in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp08 View Post




Thanks for the link.  Actually, I think they are more like resistors, which are used to alter the impedance between 3 different settings.  I've never ever switched them, because the standard imp for analog IC is 75Ohms, so the mid-setting is appropriate for me and that's how I broke them in.

 

How else could you "switch" impedance setting of an interconnect?  I'm no EE major, BTW.  I'm asking a question.

 

post #56 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd R View Post


Impedance is a combination of resistance & capacitance so there would have to be both caps & resistors in there.


Thanks, Todd.  I've played with the switches briefly this afternoon and there is no audible difference in SQ I could hear, there is the corresponding difference in volume as impedance is increased or decreased.

 

post #57 of 91
I'm still unsure if I can make it, but if I can manage to get my SR125 woodies done (at least the wooden shell part) I'm going to have to find a way to come on up there to try some of your fancy equipment out biggrin.gif

I'm still thinking it's a yes, but I can't be sure yet. Expect me there unless something comes up though smily_headphones1.gif
post #58 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sml1226 View Post

I'm still unsure if I can make it, but if I can manage to get my SR125 woodies done (at least the wooden shell part) I'm going to have to find a way to come on up there to try some of your fancy equipment out biggrin.gif

I'm still thinking it's a yes, but I can't be sure yet. Expect me there unless something comes up though smily_headphones1.gif


I am over in Bloomington so maybe if you can't, there is always a mini meet in Bloomington.  I did have one a few years back and there have actually been 2 meets in Champaign / Urbana.

post #59 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Addict View Post




I am over in Bloomington so maybe if you can't, there is always a mini meet in Bloomington.  I did have one a few years back and there have actually been 2 meets in Champaign / Urbana.


I saw the thread for the CU one. I was really disappointed that I joined after those.

I'd like to come see Ray's sometime though so this would be a perfect opportunity if I can make it.

Bloomington or right here in CU would definitely be easier, but I don't think this one should be a problem. We'll have to see. Hope I can make it.
post #60 of 91

I just stumbled onto this thread, can't believe I missed it from the get go.  Is there still room available for 1 (maybe 2) more to stop out and peruse the wares?  I was able to make it CanJam last year and had a great time, now I think it is time to buy an amp for my 325is's.  This seems like the perfect opportunity to see what is available out on the market these days.

 

My cans are really I have to offer to bring, minus my fat ass and a hard drive full of FLAC files.  I am really interested in coming out, checking out some of the amps like the XP-7 and such and seeing what everyone else is using.

 

I would be making my way out from Valparaiso, IN, anyone have any recommendations on the best way to get there from NWI?  Assuming there is room of course.


Edited by Hadrien - 5/5/11 at 12:08pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked