New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

UE 4 Pro Impressions

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

I've been getting more into music since I had my vision ruined by a couple of eye surgeries. I probably spend about 5 hours a day listening. I am currently running a 4G ipod touch and Fiio E7 using a Fiio LOD. Until today I had been using a $3 pair of wicked buds that I got from woot. Today I got my UE 4 Pros and am disappointed. I honestly feel that they do not sound much better than my wicked buds. They do have much better sound isolation and look great, but the sound is not what I was hoping for. Am I looking for too much? They are crisp but seem to lack any bass, even with the bass boost set to 3 on the E7. I'm not a basshead, but was expecting a more full sound. I'm not bashing UE by any means as they have provided me with excellent customer service and the monitors really look great.

post #2 of 7

It sounds like you got the wrong earphone or just not used to a not as boosted bass unless your files are not very good.

post #3 of 7

I wouldn't be surprised, because most of your money went to the molding service and those lab tech's salary.

I'd say 1964 has a much better value than UE customized IEM

Unless you got the 18 pro, I doubt its gonna sound good and feel good

post #4 of 7

Why would it not be as good unless you got the UE 18 pro? Have you heard them all as well as the 1964 Ears to compare?

post #5 of 7



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH0RTBUS View Post

I've been getting more into music since I had my vision ruined by a couple of eye surgeries. I probably spend about 5 hours a day listening. I am currently running a 4G ipod touch and Fiio E7 using a Fiio LOD. Until today I had been using a $3 pair of wicked buds that I got from woot. Today I got my UE 4 Pros and am disappointed. I honestly feel that they do not sound much better than my wicked buds. They do have much better sound isolation and look great, but the sound is not what I was hoping for. Am I looking for too much? They are crisp but seem to lack any bass, even with the bass boost set to 3 on the E7. I'm not a basshead, but was expecting a more full sound. I'm not bashing UE by any means as they have provided me with excellent customer service and the monitors really look great.

I know it's off-topic, but what eye surgeries did you have?

 

 

Have you tried something like a $100 earphone before jumping from $3 earbuds to customs?

Maybe a monster turbine, for example. I think you'd get a better sense of enjoyment with that jump as the bass would be a bit closer to what you are used to. Then, you could plan a next step up with a better sense of what you'd like to hear.

 

 

post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunlun View Post



 

I know it's off-topic, but what eye surgeries did you have?

 

 

Have you tried something like a $100 earphone before jumping from $3 earbuds to customs?

Maybe a monster turbine, for example. I think you'd get a better sense of enjoyment with that jump as the bass would be a bit closer to what you are used to. Then, you could plan a next step up with a better sense of what you'd like to hear.

 

 


 

I probably should have tried earphones that were a smaller jump in price as I was not really disastisfied with what I had been using. My thoughts were that instead of spending a couple hundred dollars on midpriced earphones, I'd just go all out and buy what I thought would be the ultimate pair for me. Maybe I just need to give them a little time and I will appreciate them more. I am happy with them though, especially the noise isolation.

 

As far as the eye surgeries, it was LASIK. Supposed to be safe and give excellent results. In my case it ruined my vision and has left me seeing multiple images in each eye, blurry images, and constantly fluctuating vision. I no longer watch tv so I started listening to music much more.  
 

 


Edited by SH0RTBUS - 3/20/11 at 11:24am
post #7 of 7


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH0RTBUS View Post



 


 

I probably should have tried earphones that were a smaller jump in price as I was not really disastisfied with what I had been using. My thoughts were that instead of spending a couple hundred dollars on midpriced earphones, I'd just go all out and buy what I thought would be the ultimate pair for me. Maybe I just need to give them a little time and I will appreciate them more. I am happy with them though, especially the noise isolation.

 

As far as the eye surgeries, it was LASIK. Supposed to be safe and give excellent results. In my case it ruined my vision and has left me seeing multiple images in each eye, blurry images, and constantly fluctuating vision. I no longer watch tv so I started listening to music much more.  
 

 

Holy Crap! That should be a major lawsuit. I hope you were well compensated after that and that there are options for helping your vision.

 

The cheap earbuds you were using have a different kind of transducer (the sound-making-thingy) which is called a moving coil or a "dynamic" driver--it's like a smaller version of what's in your home speakers. There are also mid-priced and high-end earphones with much better quality dynamic drivers. You would probably be happier with one of these (there are a million threads on these, do a search). Some of the nicer universal fit earphones with this kind of driver are the Monster Turbine Pro copper and Miles Davis, the Sony EX1000, the Sennheiser IE8, the Future Sonics Atrios, the JVC HA-FX700...plus there's the custom fit Future Sonics MG6Pro.

 

The UE4 Pro uses balanced armature transducers, which are used in hearing aids. Many very fine universal fit and custom earphones use these, often in multi-armature designs (although more is not necessarily better). They have a different sound presentation usually than the dynamic driver earphones do. It's a matter of preference which is better, everyone has their own taste.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: