I haven't found anything under $100 that I like more than the CAL! My last attempt was with the SHP9500, which is a very nice open back headphone with excellent clarity for the price, but the lack of bass kept it from surpassing the CAL! in my estimation. Of course that's comparing open and closed back headphones, which is not always a great idea, but in terms of enjoying the sound, I still preferred the CAL!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Creative Aurvana Live!; Brainwavz HM5; Something else? Last post on 6/14/12 at 5:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Have d5000+compass worth getting hd650? Last post on 1/21/12 at 9:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Creative Aurvana Live! on sale on Amazon for $59.99. Last post on 10/10/11 at 5:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Creative Aurvana Live! One speaker not working. (Troubleshoting help) Last post on 11/23/13 at 1:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help with new cans ~£50 Last post on 8/16/11 at 10:41am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Hi, I'm new to this head-fi community and this would be my first headphone review here at head-fi. Other headphones I've owned and listened to so far would be the Sennheiser hd239, px100, rha...
These headphones are made for listening to modern extreme genres of loud brickwalled poor-quality metal. They smoothen out spikiness and make drums sound so powerful and quick as if your head was...
Greetings, We all know it's coming, whether we like it or not. The wireless wave is upon us. Pretty much every major earphone manufacturer has a wireless option, and there are countless others...
Creative Aurvana Live! Review and Mods - Page 16
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #227 of 2309/30/16 at 12:11pmpost #228 of 23010/2/16 at 10:13am
By the way, I tried the regular HM-5 pleathor pads on my CAL! for about a day and a half before I just had to take them off. They seem to suck all the life out of the sound, placing your ears that much farther out from the drivers.post #229 of 23010/29/16 at 6:36pmpost #230 of 23011/4/16 at 9:08am
So I remembered this article where Tyll from Innerfidielity measured the Harman reference listening room with his measurement rig. I had a go at crunching the numbers and did further creative interpretation by ear, ending up on a correction that I could approximate well with my prefered parametric bell filters:
You can see it suggests the CAL! have a strong high-bass oriented response and a high-treble peak at 10500Hz.
It would be interesting to hear another CAL! owners evaluation of this correction. The next step could be designing a passive EQ circuit.
Edited by markanini - 11/4/16 at 12:08pm
- Creative Aurvana Live! Review and Mods
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Are you a console or PC gamer? 1 minute ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 2 minutes ago
- › Sab TottAL ##91≼7568482899≽ love problem solution specialist ... 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 3 minutes ago
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 5 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions 5 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by Varun Shankar
- › Panasonic RP-HT460E-K by PETEBULL
- › SoundPEATS Wireless Earbuds, True Wireless Stereo Bluetooth 4.2... by B9Scrambler
- › Soundmagic E10BT by msturg29
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by msturg29
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by msturg29
- › Avantree Clari Air by msturg29
- › Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds Stereo Headphones, Ghostek Silencer... by msturg29
- › 1MORE MK802 Bluetooth Wireless Over-Ear Headphones with Apple iOS... by Hisoundfi
- › Focal Utopia by Currawong
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear