Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › You know you're an audiophile when...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

You know you're an audiophile when... - Page 372  

post #5566 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

It's quite handy. I never need to do it with my Clip Zips, which only have 24-40GB of capacity and faster running internals, but my 80GB 5.5G Video does take a good little while to initialize.

 

I've noticed the stability of the firmware on the Zip is quite variable between releases (as though the unstable label wasn't an indication). When I first put it on there I had no end of problems with it, including the entire UI getting frozen when building the library (requiring a hard reset), and my computer recognized the device only one time in four when I plugged it in. I decided to see if they'd updated anything since I initially Rockboxed the Zip, and sure enough there was another version, and so far it's been rock solid. I'm not going to fiddle with it anymore, at least until they finalize the firmware for the Zip, but I was kind of wary of doing anything at all when it was building because that usually resulted in a freeze. I'll definitely have to try your suggestion now that I know it's probably not going to get stuck anymore.

 

You know you're an audiophile when you'll put up with a buggy release of your favorite portable device firmware just because it's awesome and you won't use anything else.

post #5567 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post

Jeff is the velour still uncomfortable?redface.gif  

or has it soften/broken in already?

I still refuse to believe its real velour. Ive had these phones from over 6 months, and although the have gotten better, it doesn't feel like id imagined. Still kinda scratchy.
post #5568 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender323 View Post

I would probably get the Stax and sell them. Not because I don't want the stax, but I don't have anywhere near enough cash to buy an amp to use it properly. From my understanding, they sound awful out of a crappy amp/no amp. (My current options are a Sansa Clip, an iPhone, or an E11.)

I'm sorry, but fail.

post #5569 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

Hi, Money Tree! I'm only 13 so.. No job.
You're very lucky getting $300 for your birthday at that age. At 13 I got a new skateboard (just the deck) and felt so happy. I'd recommend saving up for your first car so you can take all the ladies out, or if we were back to topic save up for that LCD-2. Your parents would probably tell you to turn your music down anyway if you get the speakers (assumption).
Its more like $125 but get $100 from relatives.
post #5570 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyris View Post

 

I've noticed the stability of the firmware on the Zip is quite variable between releases (as though the unstable label wasn't an indication). When I first put it on there I had no end of problems with it, including the entire UI getting frozen when building the library (requiring a hard reset), and my computer recognized the device only one time in four when I plugged it in. I decided to see if they'd updated anything since I initially Rockboxed the Zip, and sure enough there was another version, and so far it's been rock solid. I'm not going to fiddle with it anymore, at least until they finalize the firmware for the Zip, but I was kind of wary of doing anything at all when it was building because that usually resulted in a freeze. I'll definitely have to try your suggestion now that I know it's probably not going to get stuck anymore.

 

You know you're an audiophile when you'll put up with a buggy release of your favorite portable device firmware just because it's awesome and you won't use anything else.

I've had my Zip freeze as well. Even a hard reset didn't do the job, I had to leave it on for a day to drain the battery.

post #5571 of 6356
Second thought, Im wearing the HD518's for the first time in a week, and the earpads are smooth, the only scratchiness is on the headband, but that might be the little bit of dry scalp ive got DX
post #5572 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyNeodymium View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJesusGuy View Post

Yeah, but wouldn't the headband get a permanent dent in the bottom from hanging of it..

Are we talking about 5lb headphones? lol

Doesn't matter how heavy they are, the headband can still get dented. The K240 and many of AKGs other cans are especially subsceptible to this despite being light.

post #5573 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHorseNamedJeff View Post

Second thought, Im wearing the HD518's for the first time in a week, and the earpads are smooth, the only scratchiness is on the headband, but that might be the little bit of dry scalp ive got DX

well i guess the scratchyness of the headpadding should go away too with some more usage. 

post #5574 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

You know you can still play music via the file browser while the database initializes, right? 

Oh snap...I did not know that.  Been ready to crush my poor zip waiting for that stupid thing to refresh the database...I thought I was doing something wrong.  I left it plugged in for hours waiting...

My first rockbox endeaver.  Guess i should read the manual more closely.

 

must test this out immediately....

 

P.S. @Koopa989 Nice avatar - Samurai Champloo rocks!!!


Edited by bearFNF - 1/3/13 at 9:25pm
post #5575 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearFNF View Post

Oh snap...I did not know that.  Been ready to crush my poor zip waiting for that stupid thing to refresh the database...I thought I was doing something wrong.  I left it plugged in for hours waiting...

My first rockbox endeaver.  Guess i should read the manual more closely.

 

 

 

It's one of the most popular benefits of Rockbox, at least with the Sansa players, because of how long the DB refresh takes with the Sansa OS (a time when you can't do anything but wait)

post #5576 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

Any good bookshelf speakers that are active for $300? Looking for something for my Birthday(jeez this hobby) and it would be speakers or a new interconnect and more CD's. Reason for speakers is that I have DT880 + O2/ODAC and to get better sounding headphones I would have to get Hifiman HE-500 or LCD2's.. Now thinking about it.. I could get HE-500 for Christmas if I just ask for money for my birthday.. Decisions.. Would HE-500 be much better then DT880's? You know your an audiophile when this is what your doing..
Yep he500 is much better then the dt880..imho..but pls consider the right amp as well or else the he500 wont be at his best biggrin.gif
post #5577 of 6356

More different I'd say than better. I've been swapping between them for 3 weeks now and still haven't made up my mind.

post #5578 of 6356
Good to know. Would the LCD 2 be much better?
post #5579 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post

More different I'd say than better. I've been swapping between them for 3 weeks now and still haven't made up my mind.


the he500 is more amp dependent then a dt880 to sound at its best. i have the nephew of the dt880 the mmx300 (and i love him very much!) but when connected to my 337 the he500 is really in a total different league...maybe its because the dt880 is much more bright then the more balanced he500? to my ears anyway


Edited by hifimanrookie - 1/4/13 at 1:43am
post #5580 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

Its more like $125 but get $100 from relatives.

Word up. Grandparents are the best.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › You know you're an audiophile when...