Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › You know you're an audiophile when...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

You know you're an audiophile when... - Page 310  

post #4636 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyris View Post

 

My local GC doesn't have the DT880 or x70x (or at least they didn't three summers ago when I was last in there). If they did, my search would have ended sooner....

 

It's really variable how helpful staff will be pretty much anywhere you go. The time I was in that GC when I ended up buying the M50, everybody was really helpful, pulling headphones down from the rack and getting them out of the box for me to try. When I went back to return the M50 a different guy made it clear (without saying a word) that nobody would be pulling down any boxes for me this time. He was almost chiding me when he pointed out I'd have to pay a restocking fee (which I already knew). I get that shrink wrapped stuff can't be tested (like the old-style, gold-trimmed K240 they had which that I was sorely tempted to just walk out with sight unheard for $119), but still. Who would buy headphones without at least trying to hear them first? I don't see it as too unusual a request to make.

 

They didn't have an awful lot, anyway. From what I remember there were the M50, SRH440, SRH840, MDR-7506, HD280, DT770 (the exclusive version GC used to sell), the K240 I mentioned, and the M40fs (I probably should have tried those the first time). Not a terrible selection for the time (summer 2010), but nothing really exotic, either. Also, nothing open-backed, interestingly enough. I had expected they would at least have a K70x, HD600/650, and/or a DT880/990 to try.

You're lucky you have a store with anything. My nearest store is HMV which is like 10 miles away and It's full of beats and low end Sony and Sennheisers

post #4637 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJesusGuy View Post

You're lucky you have a store with anything. My nearest store is HMV which is like 10 miles away and It's full of beats and low end Sony and Sennheisers

Occasionally the HMV near me gets a decent pair of cans in stock. They had a D2K for £150 when they were being discontinued...obviously I bought them(for a friend). The best they have seems to be the SK Aviators and Senn HD448s right now.

post #4638 of 6356
I've seen some top end Senn BT headphones in HMV, and lots of cheaper, interesting stuff, and I think they even have HD25. It's nice to look at the stuff and play with the display iPads and whatever, but mostly everything is overpriced.

I did score some Sony MDR-EX500 for £5, reduced from £70, tho. They're a bit bright, but I went through a phase of using them.



On a tangent, the last time I bought shoes there was a rack of Skullcandy. They were the only headphones or even electronics in the entire store...oddly I was tempted.
post #4639 of 6356
This is where it seems to me that americans have more choice of stores that stock decent headphones, unless you live in London. Although I did find a couple of stores in Leeds recently that have some fairly decent cans and are willing to order in any model from the brands that they do sell.
post #4640 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjeena View Post

This is where it seems to me that americans have more choice of stores that stock decent headphones, unless you live in London. Although I did find a couple of stores in Leeds recently that have some fairly decent cans and are willing to order in any model from the brands that they do sell.

 

I didn't think the difference would matter that much...since you can just order them online?confused_face(1).gif

 

Also, I thought brick and mortar stores were generally more expensive anyways? 

post #4641 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post


Aren't you talking about the darth beyers? (Or i think he calls them the terminator or something now?)
http://www.headphile.com/

nope. i'm talking about the europe only manufaktur options. I don't want the darth beyers right now, i just want my dt990 to look beautiful, because those options do make it so.

post #4642 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallade475 View Post

nope. i'm talking about the europe only manufaktur options. I don't want the darth beyers right now, i just want my dt990 to look beautiful, because those options do make it so.

can't help you there. didn't know they did wood. thought it was just purdy colors. ok well good luck with that.
post #4643 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyProduce View Post

 

I didn't think the difference would matter that much...since you can just order them online?confused_face(1).gif

 

Also, I thought brick and mortar stores were generally more expensive anyways? 

It's a pain send back the ones you don't like or taking a hit by selling them on. Also, some brands/models are really badly represented in the UK, eg the Audio Technica ES series(I've never seen one in a store)

post #4644 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post

It's a pain send back the ones you don't like or taking a hit by selling them on. Also, some brands/models are really badly represented in the UK, eg the Audio Technica ES series(I've never seen one in a store)

Fair enough. I guess going to meet-ups and the likes can help with trying out the more obscure headphones.

post #4645 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post

It's a pain send back the ones you don't like or taking a hit by selling them on. Also, some brands/models are really badly represented in the UK, eg the Audio Technica ES series(I've never seen one in a store)

 

+1

 

Here in the States I can indeed order just about anything online. But I'd never want to order anything >$100 without either hearing it first and/or a really good return policy. Return policies vary widely among different merchants, and most of them aren't as generous as someplace like HeadRoom. But if I want something HR doesn't carry (or want it for a bit cheaper, as it usually is on, say, Amazon), I'm stuck taking a gamble whether or not I'll like it. Imagine buying an HD800 this way and discovering you didn't like it! eek.gif I haven't got the time or the bux to burn. (Or the will--I was starting to feel like there was no headphone for me after both the M50 and the SR225i didn't work out. Thankfully the DT880 was a winner).

 

Having access to a shop with a great selection of headphones to try is a very big help for the reasons listed above.

post #4646 of 6356
You know that you are an audiophile if you translate DAP with "Digital Audiophile Player" instead of "Digital Audio Player, and exactly that DAP costs more than the entire hometheater set a friend of you just bought... -.-

And you are an Audiophile if the last thing you do before you go into hospital for a surgery is sending your ear mould impressions to China...
post #4647 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyris View Post

 

+1

 

Here in the States I can indeed order just about anything online. But I'd never want to order anything >$100 without either hearing it first and/or a really good return policy. Return policies vary widely among different merchants, and most of them aren't as generous as someplace like HeadRoom. But if I want something HR doesn't carry (or want it for a bit cheaper, as it usually is on, say, Amazon), I'm stuck taking a gamble whether or not I'll like it. Imagine buying an HD800 this way and discovering you didn't like it! eek.gif I haven't got the time or the bux to burn. (Or the will--I was starting to feel like there was no headphone for me after both the M50 and the SR225i didn't work out. Thankfully the DT880 was a winner).

 

Having access to a shop with a great selection of headphones to try is a very big help for the reasons listed above.

Amazon has a 30 day return guarantee. 

post #4648 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyris View Post

Here in the States I can indeed order just about anything online. But I'd never want to order anything >$100 without either hearing it first and/or a really good return policy. Return policies vary widely among different merchants, and most of them aren't as generous as someplace like HeadRoom. But if I want something HR doesn't carry (or want it for a bit cheaper, as it usually is on, say, Amazon), I'm stuck taking a gamble whether or not I'll like it. Imagine buying an HD800 this way and discovering you didn't like it! eek.gif I haven't got the time or the bux to burn. (Or the will--I was starting to feel like there was no headphone for me after both the M50 and the SR225i didn't work out. Thankfully the DT880 was a winner).

 

Having access to a shop with a great selection of headphones to try is a very big help for the reasons listed above.

I bought my K701s on here without hearing them first, discovered that the sound signature was too harsh for my wide range of music and just sold them for HD 600s which I also bought online with out hearing them first.  

 

If you hunt for good deals you can end up not loosing any money (or even profiting) by re-selling them if you don't like their sound.

post #4649 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyris View Post

 

+1

 

Here in the States I can indeed order just about anything online. But I'd never want to order anything >$100 without either hearing it first and/or a really good return policy. Return policies vary widely among different merchants, and most of them aren't as generous as someplace like HeadRoom. But if I want something HR doesn't carry (or want it for a bit cheaper, as it usually is on, say, Amazon), I'm stuck taking a gamble whether or not I'll like it. Imagine buying an HD800 this way and discovering you didn't like it! eek.gif I haven't got the time or the bux to burn. (Or the will--I was starting to feel like there was no headphone for me after both the M50 and the SR225i didn't work out. Thankfully the DT880 was a winner).

 

Having access to a shop with a great selection of headphones to try is a very big help for the reasons listed above.


id so love to see a Headphone shop at least near my area.

 

oh how long id spend my time in there.

 

 

 

because it sucks buying a headphone and you are not satisfied of its sound even possibly after burn in.

thats why buying a headphone you need to research thoroughly and be real set that you'd like how it sounds.

 

for me, i like my headphones to sound neutral and realistic. closely resembling the sound like from surround speakers.

i hate how some people rely on Bass being the main part of sound when it isnt. Too much bass can cloud the mids and highs.

too little can make the treble sound too harsh if possible.

 

a good amount is enough to provide the proper "intensity" of the music of your liking.

 

 

just throwing this out there, i also really like the Grado "house" sound.

post #4650 of 6356

When you're Son's girlfriend calls you Ironman, thats right Ironman.  I lit up my tube amp and DAC with the HiFiMan HE-400 and the kids who listen to iPods via earbuds were sufficiently impressed.  My life is complete I am IRONMAN.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › You know you're an audiophile when...