Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.) - Page 370

post #5536 of 5653
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post

Hello? I listen to 70's-80's pop/rock and 40's big band too! Its half my music library! There has been electronic since the 70's I realize, yes... And I love Kenny g. Lossless WAV files of most of his songs. Yes, I am 15... But I know what's good and what isn't. Omnitica? He deserves more than he's gotten. He is awesome. You are very wise, I'll give you that, but some of what you say I have to kindly disagree with. You have gained my respect sir.

So you were born in 1999??? Ouch, now I really feel old. Don't blink, man. Your 30's go by in a blur!
post #5537 of 5653
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidogio View Post
 

 

pin-pointing someone's intelligence due to their music taste?

 

 

Didn't mean it like that. I mean unintelligent in the genre and surrounding artists. I worded it poorly, my bad.

post #5538 of 5653

 

BTW I absolutely hate the term EDM, Been listening to all things "Electronic" since 09 and to me EDM refers to commercialized bad dance music... lately been getting very into melodic dubstep and chillout or chillstep and away from big room prog house

post #5539 of 5653

 I never get sick of this song, its really awesome

post #5540 of 5653
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidogio View Post

back then? you mean when 25+ years ago when house techno and their derivatives were created? you really think skrillex or any of those "artists" invented anything?
Not trying to start arguments but I was talking about the time in 2011/2012 when skrillex was starting to become popular and EDM became a term used commonly. I know electronic has starts that go back further than 3 or so years but when the now almost -typical-growl-and wobble-bass "dubstep" started becoming popular, there weren't anywhere as many producers trying to become popular as there is now.
post #5541 of 5653
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundPon3 View Post

Not trying to start arguments but I was talking about the time in 2011/2012 when skrillex was starting to become popular and EDM became a term used commonly. I know electronic has starts that go back further than 3 or so years but when the now almost -typical-growl-and wobble-bass "dubstep" started becoming popular, there weren't anywhere as many producers trying to become popular as there is now.
I've known about electronic since 2006... Dubstep originated from the U.K. in 2003 (supposedly.) and has grown in popularity because it has been thrown into the ring with American pop music and rap. It kind of makes me angry that something like electronic (HAPPY NOW? biggrin.gif.) is being grouped in with the gangster drug smoking scene just because of a select few musicians. I tell people I like electronic music, or edm etc., and the first thing I hear? "HAVE YOU HEARD SCARY MONSTERS AND NICE SPRITES???!!??"... -_-... Me: you don't listen to electronic often, do you?... They then shrug it off, and I can see in their face they were confused by my reaction to them.
post #5542 of 5653
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post


I've known about electronic since 2006... Dubstep originated from the U.K. in 2003 (supposedly.) and has grown in popularity because it has been thrown into the ring with American pop music and rap. It kind of makes me angry that something like electronic (HAPPY NOW? biggrin.gif.) is being grouped in with the gangster drug smoking scene just because of a select few musicians. I tell people I like electronic music, or edm etc., and the first thing I hear? "HAVE YOU HEARD SCARY MONSTERS AND NICE SPRITES???!!??"... -_-... Me: you don't listen to electronic often, do you?... They then shrug it off, and I can see in their face they were confused by my reaction to them.

You heard about it when you were 7?
That's impressive. I didn't hardly know what a genre was when I was 7.

post #5543 of 5653
Quote:
Originally Posted by semaj8james View Post

You heard about it when you were 7?

That's impressive. I didn't hardly know what a genre was when I was 7.
yep. Doesn't mean I listened to it back then however. biggrin.gif when I was 10, I stopped listening to pop music, and I started listening to 70's-80's pop/rock... I'm a partial 80's child. biggrin.gif
post #5544 of 5653

I think this is a great tune!
 

post #5545 of 5653

post #5546 of 5653
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post

I've known about electronic since 2006... Dubstep originated from the U.K. in 2003 (supposedly.) and has grown in popularity because it has been thrown into the ring with American pop music and rap. It kind of makes me angry that something like electronic (HAPPY NOW? biggrin.gif.) is being grouped in with the gangster drug smoking scene just because of a select few musicians. I tell people I like electronic music, or edm etc., and the first thing I hear? "HAVE YOU HEARD SCARY MONSTERS AND NICE SPRITES???!!??"... -_-... Me: you don't listen to electronic often, do you?... They then shrug it off, and I can see in their face they were confused by my reaction to them.
You do realize hip hop is electronic music right? Modern hip hop production uses samplers, sequencers, drum machines, synthesizers, turntables, as well as live instrumentation. Electronic music is often associated with drugs too, it is not just hip hop. Just because someone likes a song that is a bit old or overplayed doesn't mean you are better than them because you exclusively listen to artists that have under 10k followers on soundcloud.
post #5547 of 5653

I keep trying to type a response to convey how stupid this conversation is but it's just so futile...

post #5548 of 5653
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckle490 View Post


You do realize hip hop is electronic music right? Modern hip hop production uses samplers, sequencers, drum machines, synthesizers, turntables, as well as live instrumentation. Electronic music is often associated with drugs too, it is not just hip hop. Just because someone likes a song that is a bit old or overplayed doesn't mean you are better than them because you exclusively listen to artists that have under 10k followers on soundcloud.

Doesn't mean I'm better. Just means I search through more artists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post
 

I keep trying to type a response to convey how stupid this conversation is but it's just so futile...

I'd say you conveyed it fairly well.

post #5549 of 5653
So as I've got my iPod on shuffle some "The Prodigy" from dirt chamber sessions has come on. Where does that figure in electronic in terms of sub genres?
post #5550 of 5653
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy98mtu View Post

So as I've got my iPod on shuffle some "The Prodigy" from dirt chamber sessions has come on. Where does that figure in electronic in terms of sub genres?

The Prodigy is mostly breakbeat/breaks or drum and bass.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.)