Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Studio Headphones to Record Audiobooks: T50RP and ... K271 or SRH440?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Studio Headphones to Record Audiobooks: T50RP and ... K271 or SRH440?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

I'll be buying studio headphones to record audiobooks: a flat, revealing midrange is thus my priority. The headphones should be closed or at least semi-closed, to prevent leakage into the microphone during tracking. I already own a pair of Etymōtic HF5, but they're fidgety to put in and keep in place, so will be more useful for mixing than tracking.

 

I'm already sold on the T50RP (and, should I like them enough, will look into Thunderpants). I've been considering the K271 MK II and SRH440 as complement. If you've got any comparative experience between these two headphones, including their comfort for long-term wear, please chime in!

 

Frequency Response:
graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1273&graphID[]=2881&graphID[]=2901&graphID[]=2811

Frequency Response (Raw):

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1271

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2879

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2899

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2809


Harmonic Distortion of a 500Hz Sine Wave Input:
graphCompare.php?graphType=1&graphID[]=1273&graphID[]=2881&graphID[]=2901&graphID[]=2811

Impedance Versus Frequency:
graphCompare.php?graphType=7&graphID[]=1273&graphID[]=2881&graphID[]=2901&graphID[]=2811

Isolation Response with Pink Noise Input to Monitor:
graphCompare.php?graphType=6&graphID[]=1273&graphID[]=2881&graphID[]=2901&graphID[]=2811

Square Wave Response 500Hz:
graphCompare.php?graphType=4&graphID[]=1273&graphID[]=2881&graphID[]=2901&graphID[]=2811

Square Wave Response 50Hz:
graphCompare.php?graphType=3&graphID[]=1273&graphID[]=2881&graphID[]=2901&graphID[]=2811

 


Edited by Sinocelt - 3/14/11 at 9:42pm
post #2 of 9

You might want to look at the Sony V6s.  They've got a very flat response through the midrange.

 

If you go with the T50s and are using them just for spoken word, I'd probably recommend against modding them very much.  I don't have the links on me right now, but most of the mods trade away some of the flat FR for things for improvements in other areas.  I'd assume that a flat FR is most important in that kind of work and I don't think a single voice will do much to excite the resonances in the stock enclosure that can ruin the stock 'phones for full blown music..

post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:

Originally Posted by maverickronin View Post

 

You might want to look at the Sony V6s.  They've got a very flat response through the midrange.

 

Not according to the graphs (though, of course, we all perceive sound somewhat differently):

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1513

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1511

 

Though it does seem to behave better than my other contenders past 2 kHz:

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1513&graphID[]=2901&graphID[]=2811&graphID[]=1273

 

Also:

hp_rta_v6.jpg

http://www.ratsound.com/cblog/archives/365-The-Mighty-Headphone-Quest-Part-6.html

 


Quote:

Originally Posted by maverickronin View Post
If you go with the T50s and are using them just for spoken word, I'd probably recommend against modding them very much.  I don't have the links on me right now, but most of the mods trade away some of the flat FR for things for improvements in other areas.  I'd assume that a flat FR is most important in that kind of work and I don't think a single voice will do much to excite the resonances in the stock enclosure that can ruin the stock 'phones for full blown music..

 

Precious advice. Thank you.


Edited by Sinocelt - 3/14/11 at 9:49pm
post #4 of 9

I'm not sure I agree that a modded T50rp has less flat FR than a stock pair, as that's a big part of the reason to mod them, to bring bass into balance for example and lower midrange, which is important for vocals.  But the stock T50 is designed for studio use, and has a kind of standardized sound, whereas every modded pair is going to be different and you'd have to trust your ears (or someone else's) to mod them for a flat FR.

 

As for the frequency response graphs, unless you really know how to read FR graphs specifically for headphones, I would recommend not putting too much emphasis on them.  A flat headphone will not measure flat on a graph.  But if you know what you're doing then that's another story. 

 

I'm not sure which headphone to recommend though as they all have issues...


Edited by rhythmdevils - 3/11/11 at 11:37pm
post #5 of 9

Its only a few dB.  If you're worried about something that small then I'd recommend that you get the T50s and don't mod them at all.  AFIK there isn't anything as flat from the mids down through the bass for anything near that price.

post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmdevils View Post

I'm not sure I agree that a modded T50rp has less flat FR than a stock pair, as that's a big part of the reason to mod them, to bring bass into balance for example and lower midrange, which is important for vocals.  But the stock T50 is designed for studio use, and has a kind of standardized sound, whereas every modded pair is going to be different and you'd have to trust your ears (or someone else's) to mod them for a flat FR.

 

As for the frequency response graphs, unless you really know how to read FR graphs specifically for headphones, I would recommend not putting too much emphasis on them.  A flat headphone will not measure flat on a graph.  But if you know what you're doing then that's another story. 

 

I'm not sure which headphone to recommend though as they all have issues...


I think you're confusing flat with natural.  Bringing up the bass does indeed make them sound more natural, especially at lower volumes, but a ruler flat FR is likely better in a studio where you don't want to deal with preferences and potentially incompatible HRTFs.

post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils View Post

 

As for the frequency response graphs, unless you really know how to read FR graphs specifically for headphones, I would recommend not putting too much emphasis on them.  A flat headphone will not measure flat on a graph.  But if you know what you're doing then that's another story.


I can use the HF5, which I own, as a comparison point:

1000x500px-LL-283d8a25_HF5.jpg

 

Note that Headroom's graphs don't show absolute FR, but FR as perceived by an "average" human ear (using a Neumann synthetic head, I believe).

 

On the other hand, I don't know how these FR graphs (taken from this website) were made:

 

hf5_f.gif= HF5

t50rp_f.gif= T50RP

 

You may also be interested in this YouTube video, from 4:00 to 5:00 minutes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKdFyjQYvP4&feature=related


Edited by Sinocelt - 3/14/11 at 9:55pm
post #8 of 9

If you subtract 2 from the graphID in the URL you can get what I think is the raw data.  Compare:

 

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1273

 

with

 

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1271

post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickronin View Post

If you subtract 2 from the graphID in the URL you can get what I think is the raw data.  Compare:

 

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1273

 

with

 

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1271

 

Yes, it is, and this raw FR graph seems closer to how I perceive the sound of the HF5 (i.e. prominent highs). Thank you. I used your "trick" to check the raw data on all the other headphones I'd taken an interest in, before going to a store to try some out, sooner today. I also edited my past posts to add raw FR graphs.


Edited by Sinocelt - 3/14/11 at 10:57pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Studio Headphones to Record Audiobooks: T50RP and ... K271 or SRH440?