Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Beyer or Denon? Please help me choose
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beyer or Denon? Please help me choose - Page 2

post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalyst21 View Post

But I heard without a decent AMP the 990s will suffer...I'll be running the headphones from my Xonar Essence....I don't know



Really they can sound good with even a cheep portable amp like the little dot MK1+ I used the MK1 for a year and it worked great. There is no point in spending more if you do not have a good dac anyways. Think of it as an investment, this is how I did it when I started out and it worked great. I just had a sound blaster and a little dot MK1 then later I got an audio gd compass and then I got an Imod and then some IEMs. So I still use the MK1 every day. I would really recommend you just get the better headphones and get a decent portable amp as a long term investment. This way you can upgrade in the future but you still start out with a really great setup and you have starting capacity for a great portable rig too!

post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysfail View Post




The highs extend really far. The high pitched sounds like guitar solos will really shine that it might even annoy your ears like a screeching sound. It's not too bad for me though. They also sound really "metallic" instead of warm like other headphones. Just think of emphasis on the highs when it comes to "bright".

 

Actually guitars don't go up that high. Even a guitar solo where the artist is playing in the higher octaves only gets into the upper midrange.  The only instruments that really gets into the upper frequencies of hearing are things like symbols and the highest notes of a violin. 

 

Most of what we here in music that falls in the upper frequency range are not musical notes but ancillary sounds and harmonics.  If you heard an acoustic guitarist playing and were sitting very close or heard a recording that was miked closely you might here sounds coming from his fingers sliding over the wound strings that make high pitched sounds. That's what I mean by "ancillary sounds".

 


 

 

post #18 of 31

If you want Beyers stretch and get the T1s.

post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cswann1 View Post



Actually guitars don't go up that high. Even a guitar solo where the artist is playing in the higher octaves only gets into the upper midrange.  The only instruments that really gets into the upper frequencies of hearing are things like symbols and the highest notes of a violin. 

 

Most of what we here in music that falls in the upper frequency range are not musical notes but ancillary sounds and harmonics.  If you heard an acoustic guitarist playing and were sitting very close or heard a recording that was miked closely you might here sounds coming from his fingers sliding over the wound strings that make high pitched sounds. That's what I mean by "ancillary sounds".

 


 

 


Yeah you're right after I spent more time with the DT990 they really emphasis on the ancillary sounds and harmonics, but some songs still really pronounce those high octave guitar riffs (I'm talking about hardcore rock music not soft rock/acoustic music) where it almost becomes too screechy. basshead.gif

 

post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post

If you want Beyers stretch and get the T1s.


LOL. I think that's way out of his price range. Even a "stretch" won't be enough to get his hands on one of those. wink_face.gif

 

post #21 of 31

The soundstage is much wider with the Beyers.  Part of that is a function of being open-back and part is just those particular headphones.  The Denon D2000 has a nice soundstage for closed-back headphones.  I don't think I could quantify the difference in a specific number.  The difference is, however, significant.

post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy21 View Post

The soundstage is much wider with the Beyers.  Part of that is a function of being open-back and part is just those particular headphones.  The Denon D2000 has a nice soundstage for closed-back headphones.  I don't think I could quantify the difference in a specific number.  The difference is, however, significant.


Yes, the DT990 definitely have a great soundstage compared to everything else I have.

 

post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroibis View Post





Really they can sound good with even a cheep portable amp like the little dot MK1+ I used the MK1 for a year and it worked great. There is no point in spending more if you do not have a good dac anyways. Think of it as an investment, this is how I did it when I started out and it worked great. I just had a sound blaster and a little dot MK1 then later I got an audio gd compass and then I got an Imod and then some IEMs. So I still use the MK1 every day. I would really recommend you just get the better headphones and get a decent portable amp as a long term investment. This way you can upgrade in the future but you still start out with a really great setup and you have starting capacity for a great portable rig too!


My view is that this advice makes good sense if you know that you will remain interested in this hobby and continue to invest in it (Part of me wants to scream at you to run for the door while you still can).  If you plan on buying an amp and are patient, then buying the Beyer's now is a good choice presuming they have a sound signature which you like.  If you are uncertain, you could end up owning an expensive set of headphones which are not suitable for your needs.  In that case, the Denon's, M-50's or 840's are a safer bet.  Others have recommended the new Sennheiser 598 as an open back alternative.  I have not heard those but I do have the 595's which are nice open-back headphones at a reasonable price which do most things reasonably well and nothing extraordinary.

 

post #24 of 31

I would say out off all the beyers, the DT990/600Ohm is your best choice. It has powerful bass, lots of treble, and nice mids (though on the slightly shallow side). It also has a great big soundstage that is third to the T1 and T50. I would say this headphone can be classified as being "very fun" with a lively feel to it.

 

The DT880 has more subdued treble in comparison to the DT990, but also has less bass (that is more accurate), and more midrange presence. The soundstage is also smaller. This headphone is very neutral and true to the recording and can come off as boring on some material.

 

With the 600Ohm models you will need a decent amp for them. If your on a budget you could get a PHENIX G3 as it's an OTL design and is better suited to the higher impedance DT990.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalyst21 View Post

I'm debating between the AH-D2000 and DT880 600 ohm. Which would you go with?

 

I'm more of an all around listener, I like deep, smooth and dominating bass, sharp trebles, excellent mids, and excelling detail.


Edited by Zombie_X - 3/13/11 at 8:03pm
post #25 of 31

If you have a receiver you can plug the 990/600's into that.  I bought a E9 to power the Beyer's I have, but I tried the cheap (relative) Pioneer A / V I have. then I ABXed the E9 and the Pioneer and the pioneer was better IMHO. So I sent the E9 back.  I think you (OP) said you have one of those nice Asus soundcards.  I think the DAC in that card will be fine for you until you decide you are willing to get into real money for this hobby. I'm talking 4 to 5 digit money, cause it ain't hard to spend 5 digits on nice audio. 

 

post #26 of 31
Thread Starter 

Most of the people on here like the 880/600 over the 990/600...Now the people in this thread say the 990 is better, what's the deal?

post #27 of 31

Well you said "I like deep, smooth and dominating bass, sharp trebles, excellent mids, and excelling detail." The DT990/600ohm fits that better than the DT880/600ohm. The DT880 is much more neutral.

post #28 of 31

IMO the DT880 is the better headphone, but the DT990 fits what you want best. It has powerful bass, sharp treble, and clear mids. 

 

The DT880's treble is still present, but about 1/4 less than the DT990's I would say. The mids on the DT880 are more prominent, but the DT990's mids are more resolving. The DT880's bass is about 1/2 of what the DT990 has or maybe even less than half of it. The DT990 bass is thumping while the DT880's is more textured and defined (more precise bass). The DT990 has a much bigger soundstage as well and the DT880 in comparison is more closed in sounding.

post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post

IMO the DT880 is the better headphone, but the DT990 fits what you want best. It has powerful bass, sharp treble, and clear mids. 

 

The DT880's treble is still present, but about 1/4 less than the DT990's I would say. The mids on the DT880 are more prominent, but the DT990's mids are more resolving. The DT880's bass is about 1/2 of what the DT990 has or maybe even less than half of it. The DT990 bass is thumping while the DT880's is more textured and defined (more precise bass). The DT990 has a much bigger soundstage as well and the DT880 in comparison is more closed in sounding.



one is semi open and the other one is full open, of course open is gonna have wider sound stage. Correct me if I am wrong

 

990 sounds absolute better than 880, under one hard situation: you amp it enough

the so call V shape spectrum (good highs and lows, dip down when mid hits) 990 gives is a simple result of not having enought amping power. Why would I know? I brought my DT 990 250omh and plug

around other people's equipment. The uneven sound distrubition disappear at many equipments

( most of them cost you an arm and a leg, especially that Beyer A1 amp which is only good with Beyer)

 

both 880 and 990 are good headphones, but under main stream amping 880 is more favored than 990

in a unlimit budget situation 990 will always win

 

that is why I will say : go get D2000. Sounds like Denon Sweet, and if you don't like it, I will take it. beyersmile.png

 


Edited by iamvincent - 3/15/11 at 9:48pm
post #30 of 31

Yeah people want to always underpower headphones and wonder why they sound bad. You can easily get enough volume even from the 600ohm dt990s with a basic amp, but will it sound what it could? Nooooo. Also, the pads make a difference. If bass is your thing, stick with the leather pads (assuming there's the ones with the holes in the back). If bass is your thing, but so are other parts of the spectrum, stick with velours.

 

I'm thinking of gettings Denons myself to mix it up a bit with something that could plug into the laptop rig AND into the main rig, but I'm still undecided on which one. I'm still happy with my Beyers though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Beyer or Denon? Please help me choose