Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure 535's lacking bass... better suggestion?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure 535's lacking bass... better suggestion?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Hello,

 

I just received the Shure 535's today.  It sounds great in terms of clarity, and midrange voice comes thru very easily.  I'm quite dissappointed in the warmth, and the bass response though.  I've tried all the sleeves, and found the ones that fits best, but still it doesn't sound to my liking.  I listen to such a broad variety of music, it's not going to make much sense to list them all.

I have read many threads on here praising the Shure 535's in many of the attributes I was looking for in an IEM, is why I chose them.  I have not tested any IEM's except for owning UE 500's.  I assumed that the 535's and others in it's class would easily outperform the UE 500's in bass response.  I was wrong about that.

So, I've heard some switching to the Klipsch X10's, or Westone 3 & 4's...   I'm not even sure this will surpass the UE 500's bass response?

Any other suggestions?

I've tested it on my iPhone 3GS w/ Bass Booster EQ, but also have a Cowon D2 I'll will be using.

Thx.

post #2 of 15

Klipsch X10, Westone 3, Earsonics SM3...will give you better bass than UE500. But if you are really into BIG bass, maybe you should consider a dynamic IEM, like the Sennheiser IE8, Monster turbine Pro Gold or Copper, Victor FX700, Panasonic HJE-900...

post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bum0 View Post

Hello,

 

I just received the Shure 535's today.  It sounds great in terms of clarity, and midrange voice comes thru very easily.  I'm quite dissappointed in the warmth, and the bass response though.  I've tried all the sleeves, and found the ones that fits best, but still it doesn't sound to my liking.  I listen to such a broad variety of music, it's not going to make much sense to list them all.

I have read many threads on here praising the Shure 535's in many of the attributes I was looking for in an IEM, is why I chose them.  I have not tested any IEM's except for owning UE 500's.  I assumed that the 535's and others in it's class would easily outperform the UE 500's in bass response.  I was wrong about that.

So, I've heard some switching to the Klipsch X10's, or Westone 3 & 4's...   I'm not even sure this will surpass the UE 500's bass response?

Any other suggestions?

I've tested it on my iPhone 3GS w/ Bass Booster EQ, but also have a Cowon D2 I'll will be using.

Thx.


I've never heard the UE 500.

You mentioned the W3 & W4. I suggest you read up on the Westone UM3X, a highly regarded IEM, which has excellent mids and (much) better bass than the SE535, in my view. However, if you also enjoyed the SE535 highs, you may not find the UM3X treble to be your cup of tea. I personally found the SE535 treble a bit harsh and grainy at times and much preferred how the UM3X rendered high frequencies.

Another option, and these days they can be had for a very good price ($150 - $180), is the TF10, which also has detachable cables. The TF10 has great bass & treble and mids are a little recessed. However, be warned many have reported fit issues (not my case).

Yet another option, though a bit expensive, is the Audio-Technica CK100 - great sound and excellent build quality.

BTW, the UM3X comes in 2 versions, with or without removable cables; the W3 & W4 only come with fixed cables as does the CK100.

 


Edited by music_4321 - 3/11/11 at 4:06am
post #4 of 15

I'll just post the same recommendation I always do when a hear a "no bass" complaint with IEMs: Before you do anything rash, make sure you've got a full seal.

 

Go to http://www.sensaphonics.com/test/index.html and do the Audio Seal Test (can download or do it online).

 

You'd be amazed at the number of knowledgeable, experienced users who found out their problem was poor insertion or bad fit. Works with any sealed-system IEMs.

post #5 of 15

at a recent headphone meeting, i compared the shure e535 with my westone um2, shure e535 had a tad less bass than um2 (which are also considered bassy iem) but it was better bass (better defined and faster). I didnt have time to compare them to my tf10, but if you really find you need more bass, i'm not sure if armature based iem's can help you, like others have said, perhaps look towards dynamic phones, like monster turbine gold, ultimate ears 5eb, or atrio m5. I tried the turbine gold, which had great bass, and i used to own atrio m5, which still have the best quality bass i have heard in an iem. 


Edited by gduck - 3/11/11 at 5:40pm
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the site test.  I'm using the foam tips right now, and squeezed and stuffed them in pretty good so the 2 tones are somewhat equal... Hard to tell, but they seem close to same volume, perhaps, the midrange tone is a bit more pronounced.  I may be getting a better seal, but testing with music, even with the bass booster, I prefer to have more.  Although I have to say now the sound is less spatial (?), meaning it sounds like it's coming from within my head.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackKontney View Post

I'll just post the same recommendation I always do when a hear a "no bass" complaint with IEMs: Before you do anything rash, make sure you've got a full seal.

 

Go to http://www.sensaphonics.com/test/index.html and do the Audio Seal Test (can download or do it online).

 

You'd be amazed at the number of knowledgeable, experienced users who found out their problem was poor insertion or bad fit. Works with any sealed-system IEMs.



 

post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 

Thank you for all the posts.   I have compiled a list which I'll look thru the forums for reviews.

I should say that besides deeper, and louder bass, I also like screaming highs as well.  Such as such in some instrumental pieces / soundtracks, rock guitar solos....

Speaking of guitars... I feel with the Shure 535's, I should be listening to some guy on stage playing his guitar solo.  Not to be putting down the 535's, but I'll have to keep them and I'll make their use for the right type of music.  I also do notice the pronounced sibilant sounds with these IEM's.  Now I am just looking for overkill on bass some warmth, and perhaps high treble so perhaps I could only need to turn it down with EQ if necessary.

 

My compiled list:

 

Klipsch X10,

Westone 3/4,

Earsonics SM3
Westone UM3X

 

Louder/Deeper Bass: (dynamic?)
Sennheiser IE8,
Monster turbine Pro Gold or Copper,
Victor FX700,
Panasonic HJE-900
ultimate ears 5eb
atrio m5

post #8 of 15

You are exactly describing the Westone 3

post #9 of 15

I found the SE535s had too much bass =_=. Perhaps try the dynamic IE8s?

post #10 of 15

The IE8 doesn't have the "screaming highs" that he likes. As EraserXIV said, it fits the description of the W3. That's based on reading though, as I've used the IE8 but not W3.

post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
I am now getting better results with  my 535 after finding out my R side was not getting a good seal with the foam tips and now I get a better bass response.  Should've tested L & R independently using that test sound file. And perhaps the 535's needed some break-in time.  But now I am using a Cowon D2 as source and have the EQ's heavily tweaked.   It's now set up as a 'V' pattern with +100% at 80Hz, +30% @ 230Hz, and some in the higher treble range, and also have the Bass Enh. @ 10/10.  Anyway, it reminded myself that I definitely like punchier, and deep bass and do not want to hear the rest of the music drowned out.  Keeping that in mind.....

I finally narrowed it down to a few choices based on other reviews and comparisons on this site.  I leaned more towards the more popular ones.  

So, I'm deciding between the MCTGold, MCTCopper, IE8, and possibly the W3.  But I question the W3's ability for bass output as it has an armature driver and conflicting reviews, but sounds like the one for me in the mid and high range. 

I feel the MCTC might be the choice.  Punchier bass, treble and soundstage has decent reviews and not too pricey.  
post #12 of 15


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bum0 View Post

Hello,

 

I just received the Shure 535's today.  It sounds great in terms of clarity, and midrange voice comes thru very easily.  I'm quite dissappointed in the warmth, and the bass response though.  I've tried all the sleeves, and found the ones that fits best, but still it doesn't sound to my liking.  I listen to such a broad variety of music, it's not going to make much sense to list them all.

I have read many threads on here praising the Shure 535's in many of the attributes I was looking for in an IEM, is why I chose them.  I have not tested any IEM's except for owning UE 500's.  I assumed that the 535's and others in it's class would easily outperform the UE 500's in bass response.  I was wrong about that.

So, I've heard some switching to the Klipsch X10's, or Westone 3 & 4's...   I'm not even sure this will surpass the UE 500's bass response?

Any other suggestions?

I've tested it on my iPhone 3GS w/ Bass Booster EQ, but also have a Cowon D2 I'll will be using.

Thx.

hello there, I am from Miami and I have been living in Hong Kong for the past three years. In Miami I put over 10,000 dollars in my car stereo and I loved it and while I was driving I never thought I would spend more then $50 dollars on some earphones. Now having benn living in Hong Kong where I do not have a car and I have to walk over 45 mins to work and another 45 mins back plus add another 30 mins of walking to get food or go shopping I realized I need a system in my head. So three years ago I bought the Shure 530's. They were awesome and still are. Then I bought the Ultimate ears extended bass earphones and they were pure fun especially if you like bass. Then I bought the Westones 3, weel they fit very well and they are good but I like the Shure 530's a bit better. Then I bought the Futuresonics and these are awesome. great bass and the mids and highs are nice. Everything sounds great in them and of course of you want bass they are so good! I actually dropped them into a glass of water and guess what they still work. Another note All earphones will brake if you sweat inside them. My Shure 530's broke as well as the other pair I bought afterwards due to sweating. My Ultimate Ears also broke from sweat during shooting basketball. Last week I bought the new Shure 535. Very nice but yes lack of deep bass but the meds and highs are excellent. I can hear every word and yes its a real earphone. So I would suggest the Future sonic for fun and excitement like being in a nightclub and the Shure 535 for really listening to the music. Boris
 

 

post #13 of 15

I will suggest for true real hard bass  you got to try the Future Sonics! I do not work for any earphone company , I am working in insurance and I am a part time basketball coach. I mentioned before I am now living in Hong Kong and I walk over 2 hours a day and I listen to music (all kinds) and audio books everyday for the past 3 years. For all around sound and the option to bass it like Miami botty bass and electro bass I say go for the Future Sonics. I also have the Shure 530 and 535 to listen to the voice and highs when I am in a serious mood. The Future Sonic does have nice and above average mids and highs, but it is dark and it loves to pound which I can adjust the EQ to counter it but heck if I have the bass it is hard to  avoid it (I love bass).

post #14 of 15

On the subject of comfort on earphones. I will sat the Shure's 530,535 and the Westones 3x are all very good, very comfortable for hours. The comfort on the Future Sonics are very good but not as good as the other 3 mentioned earphones. The Shure 535 cables are excellent. The Shure 530 cables are very good. the cables on the Westone 3x suck! The cables on the Future Sonic are good but not as good as the ones on the two Shure models.

post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bum0 View Post


I am now getting better results with  my 535 after finding out my R side was not getting a good seal with the foam tips and now I get a better bass response.  Should've tested L & R independently using that test sound file. And perhaps the 535's needed some break-in time.  But now I am using a Cowon D2 as source and have the EQ's heavily tweaked.   It's now set up as a 'V' pattern with +100% at 80Hz, +30% @ 230Hz, and some in the higher treble range, and also have the Bass Enh. @ 10/10.  Anyway, it reminded myself that I definitely like punchier, and deep bass and do not want to hear the rest of the music drowned out.  Keeping that in mind.....

I finally narrowed it down to a few choices based on other reviews and comparisons on this site.  I leaned more towards the more popular ones.  

So, I'm deciding between the MCTGold, MCTCopper, IE8, and possibly the W3.  But I question the W3's ability for bass output as it has an armature driver and conflicting reviews, but sounds like the one for me in the mid and high range. 

I feel the MCTC might be the choice.  Punchier bass, treble and soundstage has decent reviews and not too pricey.  

Hello BumO, I have been using the Cowon d2 and D2+ for over 3 years. With this Mp3 player I have used Shure530, Ultimate Ear 5extended bass, Atrios Future Sonic, Westone 3, and Shure 535. I love bass and I also need the mids and highs. I listen to rock, metal, electronic, electro, rap, emo, alternative music and Trance (techno as well). My two favorite earphones would be: Atrios for the bass and general sound. Atrios have a different driver which explains how they can get so much bass and still I canlisten to classical rock or metal and also bass out and jam  the trance. The Shure 530 I like cause it's mid was great and the bass is good and the highs are nice. I have the 535 for only four days but the bass seems less than the 530's. maybe it has something to do with the mids and highs being pushed more forwards. What I like of the 535 is the cables. It is so very strong like some mountain climbers cables. My wish is for Atrios to work on their cables and their fit and I will for sure get another pair. You cant go wrong with the Shure 530 fo the bass. The Shure 535 for the all around sound and strong cables and the Atrios for the bass.
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure 535's lacking bass... better suggestion?