If your budget is $100, and you wanted an IEM which is as neutral as possible, what would you choose? By neutral I mean lacking overt colouration, a decenly flat response curve, does treble, mids, and bass equally well. And all 'rounder. Probably some would consider this a boring sounding IEM, but if one wanted accuracy which stays true to the source material above all else... which would you pick?
- productEtymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphonestagged by System, 3/15/11
- productEtymotic Research ER4S MicroPro Reference Earphonestagged by System, 3/15/11
- productHEAD-DIRECT RE0 In-ear Headphonestagged by System, 3/15/11
- productHEAD-DIRECT RE ZEROtagged by System, 3/15/11
- productHiFiMAN RE252tagged by System, 3/15/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 3/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Yet another "best IEM for ~€120 ($150)" thread Last post on 11/2/12 at 5:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Ety's vs. Fischer? Last post on 9/21/12 at 3:11pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- RE-Zero vs RE0 - SS vs tubes Last post on 10/21/10 at 5:57pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- WICH IEM HAS THE FLATTEST SOUND SIGNATURE.. Last post on 12/5/13 at 5:20pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking to compliment the ER4P/S? EX600, GR07 or RE262 Last post on 9/7/11 at 5:57pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/10/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
The Most Neutral $100 IEM?post #1 of 173/10/11 at 7:56pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 173/10/11 at 8:17pmpost #3 of 173/10/11 at 8:27pmpost #4 of 173/10/11 at 10:21pm
The RE-ZERO is certainly a good starting point and a good all-around option. If you don't mind upping your price some, things like the RE252 and ER4S/P are better options for where you're trying to go. They can be priced well used in the $150 range if that's not too much of a stretch for you.post #5 of 173/11/11 at 2:01ampost #6 of 173/11/11 at 4:40ampost #7 of 173/11/11 at 10:59ampost #8 of 173/11/11 at 11:16ampost #9 of 173/11/11 at 11:35amThread Starter
Are the recommendations for the Sunrise X-Cape taking into account the new version reportedly having a different character?
Also, I have an Fiio E1 coming (I wanted the remote control and the amplification supposedly helps as well) - would that be sufficient for the RE0's?
Thanks!post #10 of 173/11/11 at 12:32pmpost #11 of 173/11/11 at 12:38pmpost #12 of 173/11/11 at 2:16pmpost #13 of 173/25/11 at 2:00pmThread StarterHmmm, I think I would like a few more options...
Let's suppose we increased the budget to $200... what opportunities would that then open up?
In particular, I'm interested in something "airy" and "detailed", especially in the mids through highs. I would take tighter bass over deep extension, provided the bass doesn't roll of at an absurdly high frequency.
I definitely do not want anything with a mid bass hump. I have enough headphones which do that already!
Durability is a concern. I can't bring myself to buy IEMs which I know will likely break despite gentle handling.
Thanks!post #14 of 173/25/11 at 2:02pmThread Starterpost #15 of 173/25/11 at 2:41pmThread StarterJust so you don't think I'm completely lazy, I'm looking at the Fischer Audio's DBA-02, or the ATH-CK10 if I can find a good price. There must be others though I'm overlooking.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The Most Neutral $100 IEM?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Is the Astell & Kern AK10 a DAC and amp? Or just a DAC? 18 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 41 seconds ago
- › worst date stories 55 seconds ago
- › HiFi Man RE-400 a new standard for $99 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 1 minute ago
- › Best headphone / Earphone for iPhone 5S 1 minute ago
- › Norse Audio: Feedback & Impression Thread 2 minutes ago
- › HD 380 Pro buyers remorse. Advice appreciated. 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH1440- best choice at $320? 2 minutes ago
- › Bigger soundstage means less tight musically. 3 minutes ago
- › TDK BA200 by kimvictor
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by Misterbushido-
- › Ultrasone DJ1 by HybridBlinds
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by SocialCapital