If your budget is $100, and you wanted an IEM which is as neutral as possible, what would you choose? By neutral I mean lacking overt colouration, a decenly flat response curve, does treble, mids, and bass equally well. And all 'rounder. Probably some would consider this a boring sounding IEM, but if one wanted accuracy which stays true to the source material above all else... which would you pick?
- productEtymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphonestagged by System, 3/15/11
- productEtymotic Research ER4S MicroPro Reference Earphonestagged by System, 3/15/11
- productHEAD-DIRECT RE0 In-ear Headphonestagged by System, 3/15/11
- productHEAD-DIRECT RE ZEROtagged by System, 3/15/11
- productHiFiMAN RE252tagged by System, 3/15/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 3/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Yet another "best IEM for ~€120 ($150)" thread Last post on 11/2/12 at 5:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Ety's vs. Fischer? Last post on 9/21/12 at 3:11pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- RE-Zero vs RE0 - SS vs tubes Last post on 10/21/10 at 5:57pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- WICH IEM HAS THE FLATTEST SOUND SIGNATURE.. Last post on 12/29/14 at 8:36am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking to compliment the ER4P/S? EX600, GR07 or RE262 Last post on 9/7/11 at 5:57pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Many thanks to Venture Electronics for the VE Monk review sample! Product website: http://eng.52ve.cn/product.php?cm_id=205 I haven't been using earbud for quite a long time since my...
INTRODUCTION: The Havit H91DJ is a budget over-ear headphone with a warm signature. Sound quality is very impressive considering the low cost. The value of these headphones is quite high,...
Intro: SoundFoundations, is a company which manufactures accessories like racks, stands, and vibration control & custom cables. It is based in India. SoundFoundations is known in India for...
Introduction I would like to start this review off by saying thank you to the folks at Pro-Ject Audio systems for lending me a pair of their brand new Hear-it-One headphones....
Preamble: Before I start with my review, I’d like to thank Vivian from DUNU-Topsound for providing me with a sample of the DN-2000J for my evaluation. My review reflects my actual honest opinion...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
The Most Neutral $100 IEM?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The RE-ZERO is certainly a good starting point and a good all-around option. If you don't mind upping your price some, things like the RE252 and ER4S/P are better options for where you're trying to go. They can be priced well used in the $150 range if that's not too much of a stretch for you.
Are the recommendations for the Sunrise X-Cape taking into account the new version reportedly having a different character?
Also, I have an Fiio E1 coming (I wanted the remote control and the amplification supposedly helps as well) - would that be sufficient for the RE0's?
Let's suppose we increased the budget to $200... what opportunities would that then open up?
In particular, I'm interested in something "airy" and "detailed", especially in the mids through highs. I would take tighter bass over deep extension, provided the bass doesn't roll of at an absurdly high frequency.
I definitely do not want anything with a mid bass hump. I have enough headphones which do that already!
Durability is a concern. I can't bring myself to buy IEMs which I know will likely break despite gentle handling.
- The Most Neutral $100 IEM?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Home-Made IEMs 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 1 minute ago
- › Geek Wave backers: Customer Happiness Survey (from a fellow backer) 1 minute ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 2 minutes ago
- › Hiii Head-Fiers! Glad to Join the Community! 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here. 3 minutes ago
- › Hifiman Edition X 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 5 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 6 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and... 6 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk by earfonia
- › HAVIT® HV-H91DJ Professional Stereo Studio Dj Series Headphones... by Vividcard
- › SoundFoundations Barracuda PowerMax Elite by YoYo JoKeR
- › Pro-Ject Audio - Hear it One - Audiophile stereo headphone - Black by ForShure
- › DUNU DN-2000J by HiFiChris
- › MEElectronics A151 2nd Generation by HiFiChris
- › Sound Blaster E5 - 24-bit/192kHz High-Resolution USB DAC &... by hakushondaimao
- › Creative T4W 2.1 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker System by BloodyPenguin
- › G430 Gaming Headset by themastercheif
- › Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound by themastercheif
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2