If your budget is $100, and you wanted an IEM which is as neutral as possible, what would you choose? By neutral I mean lacking overt colouration, a decenly flat response curve, does treble, mids, and bass equally well. And all 'rounder. Probably some would consider this a boring sounding IEM, but if one wanted accuracy which stays true to the source material above all else... which would you pick?
- productEtymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphonestagged by System, 3/15/11
- productEtymotic Research ER4S MicroPro Reference Earphonestagged by System, 3/15/11
- productHEAD-DIRECT RE0 In-ear Headphonestagged by System, 3/15/11
- productHEAD-DIRECT RE ZEROtagged by System, 3/15/11
- productHiFiMAN RE252tagged by System, 3/15/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 3/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Yet another "best IEM for ~€120 ($150)" thread Last post on 11/2/12 at 5:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Ety's vs. Fischer? Last post on 9/21/12 at 3:11pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- RE-Zero vs RE0 - SS vs tubes Last post on 10/21/10 at 5:57pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- WICH IEM HAS THE FLATTEST SOUND SIGNATURE.. Last post on 12/29/13 at 11:22pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking to compliment the ER4P/S? EX600, GR07 or RE262 Last post on 9/7/11 at 5:57pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Beats, the biggest headphone brand in the world, selling more headphones than any other by a large margin and with a huge 60% market share in it's domestic market in the USA, has largely been the...
Though these are by no means perfect headphones, their price and excellent bass make them one of the best headphones you can buy for under $200. These headphones are very fun to listen to. They...
Since this is a IEM review I'll keep it short , I have no respect for IEMs ...I wish I could use headphones in the bed but since I cannot I have to resort to IEMs , not a IEM guy I picked...
I'm not much of a audiophile nor a reviewer just a regular audio enthusiast.. Apologies & correct me if I'm wrong.. Absolutely "StUnNeD" by these gems thought of sharing my...
Right have the pleasure of owning these for about 4 months. My Kit: Source: Foobar through Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Amp: Lehman Audio Blackcube Linear Headphones: Audio Technica ATH W...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
The Most Neutral $100 IEM?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The RE-ZERO is certainly a good starting point and a good all-around option. If you don't mind upping your price some, things like the RE252 and ER4S/P are better options for where you're trying to go. They can be priced well used in the $150 range if that's not too much of a stretch for you.
Are the recommendations for the Sunrise X-Cape taking into account the new version reportedly having a different character?
Also, I have an Fiio E1 coming (I wanted the remote control and the amplification supposedly helps as well) - would that be sufficient for the RE0's?
Let's suppose we increased the budget to $200... what opportunities would that then open up?
In particular, I'm interested in something "airy" and "detailed", especially in the mids through highs. I would take tighter bass over deep extension, provided the bass doesn't roll of at an absurdly high frequency.
I definitely do not want anything with a mid bass hump. I have enough headphones which do that already!
Durability is a concern. I can't bring myself to buy IEMs which I know will likely break despite gentle handling.
- The Most Neutral $100 IEM?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › DIY Woody Grado/Symphones Magnums - A build diary 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › New HTC One M8 audio review 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 3 minutes ago
- › Soundblaster Z or Omni (internal vs AMP) 4 minutes ago
- › IC: Next Meet in the Middle, Seattle- Portland meet, fall 2014 4 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › Music City Meet -- Nashville, TN -- Fall 2014 (Sept 20, 2014) 5 minutes ago
- › FS: Brand New Sealed iPad Mini (16GB, WiFi) and included Logitech... 5 minutes ago
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKN50 by bharathss
- › Audio Technica W5000 by CJ09
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by lofoscopico
- › Philips SHE3680 Headphones, Wired by suman134
- › Philips SHE9850 In-Ear Headphones with Advanced Acoustics by suman134
- › audio-technica AIR Dinamic Headphone ATH-AD2000X (Japan Import) by Quazimoto
- › HiSoundAudio E212 by fleasbaby
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)