If your budget is $100, and you wanted an IEM which is as neutral as possible, what would you choose? By neutral I mean lacking overt colouration, a decenly flat response curve, does treble, mids, and bass equally well. And all 'rounder. Probably some would consider this a boring sounding IEM, but if one wanted accuracy which stays true to the source material above all else... which would you pick?
- productEtymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphonestagged by System, 3/15/11
- productEtymotic Research ER4S MicroPro Reference Earphonestagged by System, 3/15/11
- productHEAD-DIRECT RE0 In-ear Headphonestagged by System, 3/15/11
- productHEAD-DIRECT RE ZEROtagged by System, 3/15/11
- productHiFiMAN RE252tagged by System, 3/15/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 3/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Yet another "best IEM for ~€120 ($150)" thread Last post on 11/2/12 at 5:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Ety's vs. Fischer? Last post on 9/21/12 at 3:11pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- RE-Zero vs RE0 - SS vs tubes Last post on 10/21/10 at 5:57pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- WICH IEM HAS THE FLATTEST SOUND SIGNATURE.. Last post on 12/29/14 at 8:36am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking to compliment the ER4P/S? EX600, GR07 or RE262 Last post on 9/7/11 at 5:57pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
The Rockmaster OE (along with its sister product the Rockmaster IE) is a new offering from Encore that explores crowdfunding as a way to produce high quality yet low priced items. They can do this...
The Rockmaster IE is a new offering from Encore that explores crowdfunding as a way to produce high quality yet low priced items. They can do this by selecting OEM manufacturers and customizing the...
About Me I am in my fifties and have loved music and music equipment all my life. From about 8 years old, I had my first exposure to my mother’s reel to reel tape recorder. A few years later, I...
Introduction: I was asked by Brainwavz’/GPGSHK’s Pandora whether I was interested in reviewing their latest Brainwavz product, the Kidwavz KV100 that was especially designed for kids, so I...
At the time of the review, the Brainwavz Jive earphone was was on sale at Amazon’s website for $25.00 USD. Here is a link to Their listing of the...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
The Most Neutral $100 IEM?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The RE-ZERO is certainly a good starting point and a good all-around option. If you don't mind upping your price some, things like the RE252 and ER4S/P are better options for where you're trying to go. They can be priced well used in the $150 range if that's not too much of a stretch for you.
Are the recommendations for the Sunrise X-Cape taking into account the new version reportedly having a different character?
Also, I have an Fiio E1 coming (I wanted the remote control and the amplification supposedly helps as well) - would that be sufficient for the RE0's?
Let's suppose we increased the budget to $200... what opportunities would that then open up?
In particular, I'm interested in something "airy" and "detailed", especially in the mids through highs. I would take tighter bass over deep extension, provided the bass doesn't roll of at an absurdly high frequency.
I definitely do not want anything with a mid bass hump. I have enough headphones which do that already!
Durability is a concern. I can't bring myself to buy IEMs which I know will likely break despite gentle handling.
- The Most Neutral $100 IEM?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › New Nagra HD DAC 9 seconds ago
- › ENIGMAcoustics Dharma 15 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Smartphone vs. mp3 player? 1 minute ago
- › Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' over-ear headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Why are the PS1000e so underrated?! 3 minutes ago
- › Questyle QP1 3 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 5 minutes ago
- › AKG "K267 TIËSTO" - Discussion, Impressions & Review Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 7 minutes ago
- › Encore RockMaster OE by Armaegis
- › Encore RockMaster IE by Armaegis
- › Final Audio Design Heaven VII by AndrewH13
- › Brainwavz Kidwavz KV100 Childrens Bluetooth Volume Limited Headphones by HiFiChris
- › Brainwavz Jive by Hisoundfi
- › Soundpeats Qy7 Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running... by BloodyPenguin
- › Cozoy Aegis Portable 24/192 DAC/Amp by Baycode
- › OPPO HA-2 by ClieOS
- › Westone UM Pro 30 by Voyageur
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by STRMfrmXMN
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2