Hey folks, figured I could post the DIY MOD I did a while back, for anyone who's looking to get a decent iPhone headset.
The hf2 have been on the market for more than two years now. They've undergone some slight revisions since then and etymotic even added the hf3 with volume control.
Back then, my hf-2 cable was beginning to show symptoms of a cable-break and since I've always hated the hideous tiny inline remote that came with it, it was time for storming the Bastille and decapition of the respecive earphones.
Here's the result:
The hf2 earbud casing is glued together. once it's open you will have 3 parts: the 2 cases and the rubber strain-relief
I simply used blunt force (knife) to pry it open. If you're worried about stratches you might wanna try dissolving the glue with heat or steam (though im not sure if it'll work)
The driver. desolder wire and remove remaining solder. doesn't hurt writing down where which colour goes.
decapitate or pry open (remove the silicone ring on the earpiece. there is a small hole located at the bottom of the ring which you can use as a lever - e.g. by using a paper clip - and solder iphone cable off the driver. thread the rubber strain relief.
tie a knot, cautiously remove a bit of the acrylic coating on the tip of the two wires (e.g. #1 using a lighter torch (apply some saliva at the point where you'd like it stop burning or #2 use an acid or fine grained abrasive paper or #3 use your solder by applying tin-solder onto your iron until it forms a drop. run the wire through the drop, the coating will dissolve). Solder it on the HF2 drivers. After a lot of trial & error, instead of my soldering sation, i used a 2$ soldering pen and a universal dc adapter on 9V, 5$)
Put it all together, use superglue to keep it in place
Voilà! the result
edit: finally, pics are also available via head-fi!
-- sorry guys i just cant upload any pictures, will try editing the post a bit later --
still cant post pics, please refer to the imageshack gallery
Edited by funkyfunk - 4/30/11 at 3:07pm