Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › What's the Deal With Beats By Dre?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's the Deal With Beats By Dre? - Page 16

Poll Results: Do you like Monster and Beats By Dre

 
  • 9% (30)
    Yes
  • 90% (276)
    No
306 Total Votes  
post #226 of 239

I don't like them because I feel they  had changed peoples taste & standards.

 

whats the reason to be proud of yourself when there is a headphone around your neck it's irrelevant.

 

 people just want to own the brand it's not about the music anymore its more about owning the brand even if you don't listen to music,

 

all beats headphones in my country are fake. 30$ headphones are sold for 300$-650$ & people don't care about the price or sound signature or  whatever

 

its like the aim & tool has been replaced.


Edited by peaceful1 - 1/19/13 at 4:38am
post #227 of 239

:)
 

In the end i think we all have the same problem, we seek perfection. I remember 30 years ago, i was 10 and got my first pair of headphones. They came  bundled with my first walkman and i was amazed only with the fact i could listen to music between classes. I had 90 minutes worth of music on a BASF tape!

Today i travel with 16 days worth of music, i don't have to fine tune the deck's head to optimize high frequencies and i don't need 4 AA batts for each 2 hours of listening. The worst of my headphones today are at least 1000 times better than i could ever dream of those days and still... i am not happy! I want more! :D


Edited by aamaro1971 - 7/6/12 at 2:51pm
post #228 of 239

I really don't think the beats are used in studios, they just bring them in for the photoshoot and then switch to another set of headphones

 

How can you produce/record accurately with that much coloration?

 

On the other hand, I've seen the m50's in plenty of studios and broadcast stations

post #229 of 239

I know this is a fairly old thread but..

Today i compared my Hifiman HE-300 to my beats studio (old version, also still has a monster logo). The studio costs 50 bucks more than the HE-300. (And i'll also throw in the beats pro detox later)

(I tested both unamped, which is in the favour of the beats studio, which can't really handle an amp)

The studio's sounded like one big blur of everything, surrounded with a huge amount of bass, they also leak like crazy for a closed headphone (I dare to say more than the HE-300, which is an open model..) and to finish it, their build quality is plain horrible.. Cheap plastic. But they are pretty comfortable, and you really can't hear a thing around you when you have them on, and you might get some attention saying 'Wow, he is wearing beats.'.

 

The HE-300 has very detailed sound, the bass quantity is much less, but it is way better quality. It isn't muddy and doesnt distort in any way. You can clearly hear the voices and can seperate all the instruments. It also has a better build quality (except for the cable, which is in my honest opinion the worst build quality of a cable I've ever seen of my entire life, mine broke within 4 days.), it's made from strong plastic, which looks like aluminium. They are even more comfortable than the studio's, and they look more professional (if you care about the looks, I stopped doing so.).

 

I also have the beats pro detox, it's just a beats pro, but then with 'Dr. Dre Detox' on the top, and 'beats' on their sides, it's also 100 bucks more and limited edition (been out of the shops for over a year now).

The beats pro is 400 bucks, while the detox was ranging from 500 to 550. They do sound exactly the same.

They have the best build quality I have ever seen, they're made from leather (not sure what kind of leather, but it's really durable.) and aluminium. The paint comes off a little bit with the detox, but I haven't had this problem with the beats pro white.

Now to the sound, they don't sound as bad as the studio, but aren't worth their price.

They don't make it such a huge blur as the studio's do, although it's still a mess of bass. It sounds good with bass heavy genre's like rap/hiphop/trap, but it's just plain horrible for an allrounder, and genre's like rock. The highs are here, but nothing too great. The mids are slightly better than the highs, nothing stunning though. The bass is here, and it sure makes itself noticable. It bleeds into the mids and the highs, and even drowns out some instruments when listening to rock. The bass is in huge in terms of quantity, not quality. If you are a low decibel listener you won't notice this too much, but when you go higher (75+ decibel) it really is annoying.

Their comfort is meh. It's not the worst, but the ear cushions are round, and just a bit too small to fit most people's ears in them (I myself got pretty small ears, so it's alright for me, but for some people it even turns into an on-ear instead of an over ear). They weight about 550g which is a lot, but doable. I really do not recommend these.

 

In the end the Hifiman HE-300 pretty much wins of the three, of course it could be way better if I amped it (which would be possible, and still be cheaper than the beats pro detox.)

 

I hope someone found this post usefull!

 

PS: I just got my Hifiman, and I just recently understood why everyone hated beats, just give other headphones than beats a chance, and be sure to stay away from Bose or SMS audio!

post #230 of 239

The Pro's pads are definitely pleather. My pair's headband and edges of pads are flaking, and the anodized finish is wearing off in certain places. I wish they'd accept other pads, but their dang pad system won't work with other pads without fiddling. My ears do fit within the pads though. But I do agree, they're basically useless for anything that isn't bass driven. I only ever use mine with EDM or the odd hip hop song. I find that the bass is a little better when amped and the housings are damped. They sound significantly better out of my SA-31 than my phone/HM700. The only reason I've kept them is because they don't really sell for much on eBay, and they're a really good beater headphone. Mine has dents everywhere and works perfectly fine.

post #231 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishcabible View Post
 

The Pro's pads are definitely pleather. My pair's headband and edges of pads are flaking, and the anodized finish is wearing off in certain places. I wish they'd accept other pads, but their dang pad system won't work with other pads without fiddling. My ears do fit within the pads though. But I do agree, they're basically useless for anything that isn't bass driven. I only ever use mine with EDM or the odd hip hop song. I find that the bass is a little better when amped and the housings are damped. They sound significantly better out of my SA-31 than my phone/HM700. The only reason I've kept them is because they don't really sell for much on eBay, and they're a really good beater headphone. Mine has dents everywhere and works perfectly fine.

I'm actually selling my beats pro detox, and gave my studio's to my dad. The studio's are broken on 2 sides, but the beats pro detox are still in perfect shape :).

Would you mind explaining what pleather exactly is, and how to see/feel the difference between leather and pleather? I've heard a lot about it, but still don't exactly know what it is.

post #232 of 239

Technically, since the pads have a fabric base, it's leatherette. It's basically soft polyurethane that's made to feel like leather, but is cheaper and easier to care for unless it cracks. I usually smell the material to tell the difference, but if that doesn't work, dig a finger nail in it. If the indent doesn't recover almost instantly, it's probably pleather. Leather also usually feels thicker. The Pro pads are much thinner-feeling than my Alpha Pads.

post #233 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishcabible View Post
 

Technically, since the pads have a fabric base, it's leatherette. It's basically soft polyurethane that's made to feel like leather, but is cheaper and easier to care for unless it cracks. I usually smell the material to tell the difference, but if that doesn't work, dig a finger nail in it. If the indent doesn't recover almost instantly, it's probably pleather. Leather also usually feels thicker. The Pro pads are much thinner-feeling than my Alpha Pads.

Makes me hate them even more, I thought they were leather.. FFS, I always told everyone it was leather. LOL. Oh well, I might be rid of them soon, and then I'll have a Mad Dog coming to me! Way better than dre's **** :)

post #234 of 239

I honestly think they're overpriced and overrated. They sound pretty much the same as my samsung headphones I got for 20 bucks which is ridiculous considering the amount of "fame" they have...

post #235 of 239
Which Beats? You can't just lump them together because they all sound different. Nobody lumps Sennheisers together. But regardless, my Samsung IEMS sound worse than all butthe original Solos...but even then, my particular pair of Samsung IEMS sounds nothing like any pair of Beats.

Oh, and @kilspeed111, yeah they're most definitely pleather. They're soft, but feel unashamedly pleathery. I have a ZMF T50RP (which is cheaper and in my opinion, not that far from the Alpha Dog in a lot of ways) and it's better in every single way compared to the Pros, but they don't have the same amount of slam.
Edited by Ishcabible - 3/14/14 at 12:15pm
post #236 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishcabible View Post

Which Beats? You can't just lump them together because they all sound different. Nobody lumps Sennheisers together. But regardless, my Samsung IEMS sound worse than all butthe original Solos...but even then, my particular pair of Samsung IEMS sounds nothing like any pair of Beats.

Oh, and @kilspeed111, yeah they're most definitely pleather. They're soft, but feel unashamedly pleathery. I have a ZMF T50RP (which is cheaper and in my opinion, not that far from the Alpha Dog in a lot of ways) and it's better in every single way compared to the Pros, but they don't have the same amount of slam.

You're right about the Beats thingy, No way Kd775's samsung IEMS sound better than the beats pro. Maybe they have better highs than the solo and the studio versions, though, that's possible.

I'm still sticking to the Mad dog, heard these and instantly fell in love with them hehe.

post #237 of 239
Beats' value of products are incredibly horrible.. such as paying 300$ for a pair of headphones with cheap plastic coating all over the thin metal strip and doesn't even work without batteries,has overbloated one-note bass, has plasticky cables, and has the WORST customer service I know of. That quality to 300$? No way.
post #238 of 239
Tried out the Beats Studio Wireless at the Apple store. Not too bad. The bluetooth functionality is convenient. The typical Beats bass thump is not as prominent as the original plasticky Studios, but mids and highs are more well-defined. Overall build quality is massively improved over the originals. The black matte ones in particular look pretty cool.
post #239 of 239


I actually bought  the beats solo 2's. Ill admit they are a improvement over the originals. The mids are more pronounced, they are bass heavy still, but not to the point where it over bloated. They have a more in your face sound. The highs are there, again it depends on your source. They remind me of Grados, with a lil more bass. And this is coming from an old guy!

I did also pick up the senns  momentous, actually had a sale at bestbuy for them 149.00.

So if you haven't tried the new ones, they maybe worth another look.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › What's the Deal With Beats By Dre?