Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › What's the Deal With Beats By Dre?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's the Deal With Beats By Dre? - Page 13

Poll Results: Do you like Monster and Beats By Dre

 
  • 9% (27)
    Yes
  • 90% (264)
    No
291 Total Votes  
post #181 of 236

i recently got warned about a beats discussion by mods.  So they can be heated debates.  I like the fact the beats exist, it tips that scale of being interested in audio is cool and fashionable, then its just a hop skip and a jump to caring less about what they look like and more on what they sound like.  

Another factor to consider is if i am a person who can't tell the difference between beats and say m50's, im gonna pick the beats cause they look better.  There is no reason to get the m50's unless i find the sound to be significantly better, and your general listener isn't a sound engineer.

post #182 of 236



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-phect View Post

i recently got warned about a beats discussion by mods.  So they can be heated debates.  I like the fact the beats exist, it tips that scale of being interested in audio is cool and fashionable, then its just a hop skip and a jump to caring less about what they look like and more on what they sound like.  

Another factor to consider is if i am a person who can't tell the difference between beats and say m50's, im gonna pick the beats cause they look better.  There is no reason to get the m50's unless i find the sound to be significantly better, and your general listener isn't a sound engineer.



If your rich and have money to blow then go for it for all i care. Its personal opinons in the end and if you want something that sounds bad, looks alright and blows a whole in your wallet then go for the beats

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishcabible View Post

 

Actually, some factories, as mentioned before, run the line a little longer, hide the costs, and sell the headphones (right?), which is likely the case here because the machinery to make the Pros is probably rather expensive, but I could be wrong.

 

Monster spends too much money advertising the beats period. The would probably be the cause of the price.

 

 

 

post #183 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBakedEmoKid View Post

Monster spends too much money advertising the beats period. The would probably be the cause of the price.

 

You've got that backwards.  Because they market them as necklaces and not as headphones they can charge well beyond what they sound like.

post #184 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBakedEmoKid View Post

 

Monster spends too much money advertising the beats period. The would probably be the cause of the price.

 

 

 


Well they charge so much because they can, and people buy them. If I had some sort of "superfantabulous" product that people love, why would I charge $100 when I can charge $350 and get the same amount of buyers? But I was talking about the machines that shape the metal on the Pros. I don't think that's exactly cheap tech for every faking company to buy.

 

post #185 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishcabible View Post

Well they charge so much because they can, and people buy them. If I had some sort of "superfantabulous" product that people love, why would I charge $100 when I can charge $350 and get the same amount of buyers? But I was talking about the machines that shape the metal on the Pros. I don't think that's exactly cheap tech for every faking company to buy.


Yeah.  Dies for pressing metal are going to run a lot more than injection molds for plastic.

post #186 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishcabible View Post


Well they charge so much because they can, and people buy them. If I had some sort of "superfantabulous" product that people love, why would I charge $100 when I can charge $350 and get the same amount of buyers? But I was talking about the machines that shape the metal on the Pros. I don't think that's exactly cheap tech for every faking company to buy.

 


oh right... but in sense, its not the same amount of buyers because many are scared away due to the high price tag though i see your point... kinda

 

post #187 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBakedEmoKid View Post




oh right... but in sense, its not the same amount of buyers because many are scared away due to the high price tag though i see your point... kinda

 



If you mean the product comment, if I advertise it or build it up using the profits, I can make the product seem like either an unattainable product only for the "elite" or if you don't have one, you're basically a loser, which is kind of what Monster does.

post #188 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishcabible View Post


If you mean the product comment, if I advertise it or build it up using the profits, I can make the product seem like either an unattainable product only for the "elite" or if you don't have one, you're basically a loser, which is kind of what Monster does.


Yeah, i agree to that +1

 

post #189 of 236

Market demand sets the price for a product.  If people are willing to pay for $350 pair of Studio Beats, why would Monster not charge that price?  They would be fools to try to compete price wise with similar quality headphones when they have built their brand up through tons of advertising and can charge an insane markup.  As a customer, it's up to you to make your own purchases.  I would never pay $350 for the Studios, but I don't think somebody should be knocked if they do.  It's their money and they can spend it on whatever they want.  Now, if they go bragging about the quality and all that, then go ahead and educate them.  

post #190 of 236

After reading the countless threads I have made up my mind to go to the apple store and demo the whole beats lineup.

 

Hopefully they will let me bring my own Mp3 player and run it through my ALO Rx Mk2.

 

I have listened to a pair of the Solo model at Best Buy (they were the last pair of three with the ear pads still attached) through their demo unit but not my own source.

 

What really shocked me the most when I saw them in person was how cheap they looked (and felt). 

 

I can't stop watching this video however: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRbBhfG4tig 

 

 

post #191 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaRed View Post

After reading the countless threads I have made up my mind to go to the apple store and demo the whole beats lineup.

 

That's great! That's totally the way to go.

 

 

Quote:

Hopefully they will let me bring my own Mp3 player 

 

Yeah that shouldn't be a prob-...

 

 

 

Quote:

and run it through my ALO Rx Mk2.

 

...-lem.

 

post #192 of 236

I've FINALLY had a chance to demo the ENTIRE Beats line (Minus the Artist/celebrity specific, but I will mention one in my verdicts) through my J3 and here is my ultimate verdict on each.

 

I'll keep this brief as I can:

 

Beats Tours: Horrible sound, Decent tips, good isolation. I have to hand it to Monster, they make some nice tips for their IEMs. However, as I said the sound was horrible, the bass was overpowering and muddy, and it leaked into the recessed mids. The highs were decent enough, but nothing to write home about. I can't say anything overtly negative about the build quality, BUT I've been spoiled by HJE900s, and those can't even hold a candle to that build quality. Verdict: not worth the money at all... 

 

LGG Beats: I haven't even listened to these, but I refuse to on the mere grounds that on my last trip to Best Buy, I saw them BROKEN in the LOCKED case. That means, that somehow, these IEMs BROKE without ever being even TOUCHED by anyone. I don't care how fantastic the sound is if they'll randomly break when nothing is touching them. 

 

Solo Beats: Pros: Nice compact design (folds up nicely), nice case, removable cable, comfortable. Cons: Really cheap looking. I'm sorry to those who think they look nice, but they really don't. They look closer to cheap plastic than anything. I don't get all the hype about style. I suppose it is Apple's fault for making that style of products popular. My reaction to their sound is on par with Tyll's in his Solo review. It was awful to listen to. These will never go on my head again. I tried everything to make them sound good. Nothing seemed to work with them. The bass was far too overpowering (even after I toned it down on the EQ) and the bass that was present was the mid-bass more than anything, and there was some serious roll-off, Mids felt nearly non-existent, possibly from the overpowering bass. And the highs are more attenuated and played down than my TMA-1s. Nothing at all works with these headphones. Oh right, and the build quality is on par with $20 headphones, not $200 headphones. I think that the cheap headphones that came with Sony Diskman PCDPs were better built than these. Verdict: AVOID.

 

Edit: Upon consideration, it is entirely possible that it was the cord, because logic tells me that the sound quality jump should not have been THAT great between the Solo and Solo HD. This is just an assumption though, but I stand by my recommendation to avoid them.

 

Solo Beat HD: Take almost every negative in sound and turn it positive. They really improved the sound with these. Not $220 worth, but much better in comparison to the Solo Beat regulars. They are apparently better built in the headband too. I can't really tell though because they feel just as cheap as ever. The bass is toned down but still powerful, the mids are much clearer, and the highs are not as attenuated and actually sparkle more. Are they worth $220? no $200, still no, but if there is some crazy 50% off sale, I'd say they are alright for that price, assuming they hold up physically, but judging from the plastic, I'd think not. So it is a good effort, but I'd still never buy them just on apparent build quality, though I do commend Monster for making great strides from the regulars. (I should mention that my time was limited, so I didn't have a chance to check if they suffered the same affliction of muddiness in the bass that its younger brother had) Verdict: Not worth it, but moving in the right direction.

 

Studios: Never would buy these never will. Midbass is the only good bass here. Sub bass is pretty bad. Like the rest of the beats, they leak somewhat into the mids, but nothing terrible. They actually sound FAIR. By fair I mean I didn't want to remove them from my head right away. However, there are three glaring problems for me. The first is the sound leakage. When I was testing I was going through my playlist, and to test to see how badly they leaked I tried an experiment (more like a joke). My friend who was gracious enough to lend them to me was right next to me, so I put on Queen's Under Pressure and asked him if he knew the song I was listening to, and if he could hear it. He replied with the utmost certainty "Ice Ice Baby," and that he could hear it well enough to pick up on that. To which I slapped him upside the head, and told him that it was Under Pressure (clearly he is not a very good friend when it comes to musical taste). The other huge problem is in that you can't use them without having the sound canceling on... And it is not very good sound canceling. I put on a Mozart Symphony (it was 25 if I recall correctly), and listened for silences. To which I heard SOMETHING, I don't know what, but some higher end frequency was there when there should have been nothing. The only thing I can think of is the sound canceling. The last problem is also with the sound canceling in that they EAT batteries (according to my friend). And you can't listen without the batteries, so... yeah... Not worth 300, not even worth 150. Due to the problems, I like them LESS than the Solo Beats HDs. I'd recommend those over the Studios. The sound is only marginally better in some areas (The HDs actually have nicer bass, just not as strong), and the HDs didn't have the silence problem. Verdict: Go either with the Pros or the Solo HDs, preferably the former. 

 

Beats Pros: Color me surprised. I won't say that I love them, but they are quite good. Studio quality? Not really, but darn good and fun to listen to. The build quality is stellar, which is a pleasant change. You can tell they are marketing to the kids whose parents have deep pockets and want something "professional." There is nothing too much to complain about. They aren't the fastest headphones I have heard, and I can't see them being used for mastering or for serious monitoring. But for on the go, I could actually see myself enjoying them. Are they worth $450? Not in the slightest, like the other beats they are worth about half their asking price.The sound could be better, but I am willing to forgive for the aluminum housing. I'd like to see them be closer to $200 though. The sound isn't up to par with that price range exactly. It is close enough to $200 that I wouldn't mind it too much at that price range. Ideally I'd have these sub 200, because I got my TMA-1s for $150 and they are just as tough and sound better (but that could be because I know how to EQ them). All in all, these are the Beats headphones to get. Verdict: good headphones, but not $450 good. 

 

To me, I don't think the Beats deserve all of this hate, but I can't say that it is unfounded either. They are all overpriced, but they are moving in the right direction. I refuse to buy monster now more on principle than anything. That doesn't mean if I get Turbines for free I'll complain at all. But their marketing and business practices leave me with a foul taste in my mouth. Within these headphones they should have stopped making the regular Solos and switched over entirely to the Solo HDs. That is what they should have been from the start, but they didn't and that is still a thorn in my side to this day. 

 

Monster seems to be moving in the right direction and I hope they see the problem with their pricing, because I'd like to see these competitively priced in the future. I can't personally see myself owning them due to problems with the company, and disliking the style, but I can see them being far more well received if they were better priced to compete with the respected companies here at Head-fi.

 

NOTE: I didn't have a chance to do any real in depth critical listening. But I consider that these headphones aren't made for critical listening so I gave them a fair shake on that end. I listened anywhere from 30 minutes to 1.5hrs. The ones I listened to for that long were unsurprisingly the Solo HDs and the Pros. I just finished listening to the pro's and the HDs last weekend so my mind isn't fresh on them, but I remembered enough to give a general review of the entire beats line. 


Edited by kyuuketsuki - 6/22/11 at 11:58pm
post #193 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuuketsuki View Post

I've FINALLY had a chance to demo the ENTIRE Beats line (Minus the Artist/celebrity specific, but I will mention one in my verdicts) through my J3 and here is my ultimate verdict on each.

 

I'll keep this brief as I can:

 

Beats Tours: Horrible sound, Decent tips, good isolation. I have to hand it to Monster, they make some nice tips for their IEMs. However, as I said the sound was horrible, the bass was overpowering and muddy, and it leaked into the recessed mids. The highs were decent enough, but nothing to write home about. I can't say anything overtly negative about the build quality, BUT I've been spoiled by HJE900s, and those can't even hold a candle to that build quality. Verdict: not worth the money at all... 

 

LGG Beats: I haven't even listened to these, but I refuse to on the mere grounds that on my last trip to Best Buy, I saw them BROKEN in the LOCKED case. That means, that somehow, these IEMs BROKE without ever being even TOUCHED by anyone. I don't care how fantastic the sound is if they'll randomly break when nothing is touching them. 

 

Solo Beats: Pros: Nice compact design (folds up nicely), nice case, removable cable, comfortable. Cons: Really cheap looking. I'm sorry to those who think they look nice, but they really don't. They look closer to cheap plastic than anything. I don't get all the hype about style. I suppose it is Apple's fault for making that style of products popular. My reaction to their sound is on par with Tyll's in his Solo review. It was awful to listen to. These will never go on my head again. I tried everything to make them sound good. Nothing seemed to work with them. The bass was far too overpowering (even after I toned it down on the EQ) and the bass that was present was the mid-bass more than anything, and there was some serious roll-off, Mids felt nearly non-existent, possibly from the overpowering bass. And the highs are more attenuated and played down than my TMA-1s. Nothing at all works with these headphones. Oh right, and the build quality is on par with $20 headphones, not $200 headphones. I think that the cheap headphones that came with Sony Diskman PCDPs were better built than these. Verdict: AVOID.

 

Edit: Upon consideration, it is entirely possible that it was the cord, because logic tells me that the sound quality jump should not have been THAT great between the Solo and Solo HD. This is just an assumption though, but I stand by my recommendation to avoid them.

 

Solo Beat HD: Take almost every negative in sound and turn it positive. They really improved the sound with these. Not $220 worth, but much better in comparison to the Solo Beat regulars. They are apparently better built in the headband too. I can't really tell though because they feel just as cheap as ever. The bass is toned down but still powerful, the mids are much clearer, and the highs are not as attenuated and actually sparkle more. Are they worth $220? no $200, still no, but if there is some crazy 50% off sale, I'd say they are alright for that price, assuming they hold up physically, but judging from the plastic, I'd think not. So it is a good effort, but I'd still never buy them just on apparent build quality, though I do commend Monster for making great strides from the regulars. (I should mention that my time was limited, so I didn't have a chance to check if they suffered the same affliction of muddiness in the bass that its younger brother had) Verdict: Not worth it, but moving in the right direction.

 

Studios: Never would buy these never will. Midbass is the only good bass here. Sub bass is pretty bad. Like the rest of the beats, they leak somewhat into the mids, but nothing terrible. They actually sound FAIR. By fair I mean I didn't want to remove them from my head right away. However, there are three glaring problems for me. The first is the sound leakage. When I was testing I was going through my playlist, and to test to see how badly they leaked I tried an experiment (more like a joke). My friend who was gracious enough to lend them to me was right next to me, so I put on Queen's Under Pressure and asked him if he knew the song I was listening to, and if he could hear it. He replied with the utmost certainty "Ice Ice Baby," and that he could hear it well enough to pick up on that. To which I slapped him upside the head, and told him that it was Under Pressure (clearly he is not a very good friend when it comes to musical taste). The other huge problem is in that you can't use them without having the sound canceling on... And it is not very good sound canceling. I put on a Mozart Symphony (it was 25 if I recall correctly), and listened for silences. To which I heard SOMETHING, I don't know what, but some higher end frequency was there when there should have been nothing. The only thing I can think of is the sound canceling. The last problem is also with the sound canceling in that they EAT batteries (according to my friend). And you can't listen without the batteries, so... yeah... Not worth 300, not even worth 150. Due to the problems, I like them LESS than the Solo Beats HDs. I'd recommend those over the Studios. The sound is only marginally better in some areas (The HDs actually have nicer bass, just not as strong), and the HDs didn't have the silence problem. Verdict: Go either with the Pros or the Solo HDs, preferably the former. 

 

Beats Pros: Color me surprised. I won't say that I love them, but they are quite good. Studio quality? Not really, but darn good and fun to listen to. The build quality is stellar, which is a pleasant change. You can tell they are marketing to the kids whose parents have deep pockets and want something "professional." There is nothing too much to complain about. They aren't the fastest headphones I have heard, and I can't see them being used for mastering or for serious monitoring. But for on the go, I could actually see myself enjoying them. Are they worth $450? Not in the slightest, like the other beats they are worth about half their asking price.The sound could be better, but I am willing to forgive for the aluminum housing. I'd like to see them be closer to $200 though. The sound isn't up to par with that price range exactly. It is close enough to $200 that I wouldn't mind it too much at that price range. Ideally I'd have these sub 200, because I got my TMA-1s for $150 and they are just as tough and sound better (but that could be because I know how to EQ them). All in all, these are the Beats headphones to get. Verdict: good headphones, but not $450 good. 

 

To me, I don't think the Beats deserve all of this hate, but I can't say that it is unfounded either. They are all overpriced, but they are moving in the right direction. I refuse to buy monster now more on principle than anything. That doesn't mean if I get Turbines for free I'll complain at all. But their marketing and business practices leave me with a foul taste in my mouth. Within these headphones they should have stopped making the regular Solos and switched over entirely to the Solo HDs. That is what they should have been from the start, but they didn't and that is still a thorn in my side to this day. 

 

Monster seems to be moving in the right direction and I hope they see the problem with their pricing, because I'd like to see these competitively priced in the future. I can't personally see myself owning them due to problems with the company, and disliking the style, but I can see them being far more well received if they were better priced to compete with the respected companies here at Head-fi.

 

NOTE: I didn't have a chance to do any real in depth critical listening. But I consider that these headphones aren't made for critical listening so I gave them a fair shake on that end. I listened anywhere from 30 minutes to 1.5hrs. The ones I listened to for that long were unsurprisingly the Solo HDs and the Pros. I just finished listening to the pro's and the HDs last weekend so my mind isn't fresh on them, but I remembered enough to give a general review of the entire beats line. 



you got my belief on the pros right on. i loved those things if only they weren't so expensive.

post #194 of 236

The Dr Dre Beats Pro bass is TOO muddy. I don't like it at all. It's to the point where it taints the midrange. I'd prefer the M50, DT 990, or the HFI 580. Those give the kind of bass that doesn't interfere with the rest of the frequency. It's also like a subwoofer feel in a safe way.


Edited by Niyologist - 6/23/11 at 3:25am
post #195 of 236

I've only listened to them once, but I was not impressed at all, especially for their expensive price!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › What's the Deal With Beats By Dre?