So I have E9 and it has high and low gain switch. I know what the switch does but is there a quality difference between the two? I never understood a point of having the two when I can easily just use high gain unless there is any SQ difference, which I must say don't see any.
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 3/15/11
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by System, 3/15/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 3/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Millet starving student hybrid amp/Fiio e9 questions Last post on 6/19/12 at 3:41pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- 200 or less neutral desktop amp Last post on 5/30/12 at 10:37pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Budget amp options for DT990/250s Last post on 1/4/12 at 8:07am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- e7/e9 OR udac-2/Schiit asgard with HD650 Last post on 10/6/11 at 2:22pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp--Overkill? Last post on 10/3/11 at 4:01am in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
This has been called beats for audiophiles. It has great sound, is neutral and detailed, but they are glossy and fairly fashionable. In general, I like a V shape and listen to hardcore, metal,...
Disclaimer I got this unit as part of New Zealand tour arranged by @Brooko & @Andykong, thank you very much for including me in this tour :) Introduction I am just another music fans in this...
Ok so it is 2017 and I'm late to the party but I just got this headphone from Singapore Jaben because it seems they were clearing their stock. I got this for a whooping $34.90 SGD!! When I looked...
Have you ever felt like the spark that used to be there just vanished? That the world, once bright and colorful became bland and dull over time? That you no longer feel the joy, the excitement and...
Work in progress. I need to practice my English a bit...
Q: High gain? Low gain? Quality difference?post #1 of 423/7/11 at 2:11pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 423/7/11 at 2:51pmpost #3 of 423/7/11 at 2:59pmThread Starter
Yes, the question is about "sound quality." Sorry for sounding like a noob but that's because I am when it comes to amps. So why is there high/low gain if there is no difference other than one having low resistance and the other high resistance?post #4 of 423/7/11 at 7:05pmpost #5 of 423/7/11 at 7:33pmpost #6 of 423/7/11 at 7:36pm
x2. I was under the impression that gain adds noise. My amp, when at the low gain setting with the volume pot at 0, is completely silent, but when at high gain setting with the volume pot at 0, there's a slight hiss.post #7 of 423/7/11 at 7:41pmThread Starterpost #8 of 423/7/11 at 7:43pm
Indeed - when you have higher gain, you have a higher amplification factor, and thus any noise will be amplified more
Unless stability becomes an issue, you always want to use the lowest gain possible, with the pot as high as possible. by doing so, you will have no wasted, excess gain that you compensate for via the potpost #9 of 423/7/11 at 7:57pmThread Starterpost #10 of 423/7/11 at 8:06pmpost #11 of 423/7/11 at 8:53pmThread Starter
Been searching about this topic but it's surprisingly difficult to find more scientific reasons but I did find this from Wikipedia:
In electronics, gain is a measure of the ability of a circuit (often an amplifier) to increase the power or amplitude of a signal from the input to the output. It is usually defined as the mean ratio of the signal output of a system to the signal input of the same system.
Amplifiers generate random voltage at the output even when there is no signal applied. This can be due to thermal noise and flicker noise of the devices. For applications with high gain or high bandwidth, noise becomes a very important consideration.
It looks like when gain is increased noise is introduced (or amplify what was existing like El_Doug said) into the system.post #12 of 423/7/11 at 9:28pm
Many potentiometers have channel imbalances at the low end of the scale, making adjustments difficult with high-gain outputs with low-impedance headphones. Additionally, stepped attenuators often offer limited levels of adjustments on the lower volume spectrum.
You should seriously try some Grados, or low-impedance IEMs, out of a high output amplifier with a stepped attenuator, and then you will see why hi/low gain adjustments are needed.
Quote:post #13 of 427/25/13 at 6:17pmpost #14 of 427/25/13 at 7:28pmQuote:
Sorry, the second comment was the most on-point remark in this thread. The OP asked about "quality difference." Every amplifier has residual noise. Boost the gain so that the load's threshold is lower than that noise floor and you'll hear it. It doesn't mean the sound quality of the amp was affected - only that the noise floor was raised. They're two different things.post #15 of 427/25/13 at 8:46pmQuote:Originally Posted by tomb
Sorry, the second comment was the most on-point remark in this thread. The OP asked about "quality difference." Every amplifier has residual noise. Boost the gain so that the load's threshold is lower than that noise floor and you'll hear it. It doesn't mean the sound quality of the amp was affected - only that the noise floor was raised. They're two different things.
There's a difference between responding to a question with a question (which wasn't informative at all), and then what you just did, which is to explain why. As a complete noob myself, the rest of the thread explained a lot.
- Q: High gain? Low gain? Quality difference?
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Building my own 2.1 system. 19 seconds ago
- › What hardware do I need to access TIDAL's music streaming service? 1 minute ago
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB... 2 minutes ago
- › Sony/HTC/AKG/Blue/MISC Thread 2 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 3 minutes ago
- › Onkyo DP-CMX1 GRANBEAT | Dual Dac | Balanced | Phone DAP 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 5 minutes ago
- › Thebit OPUS#2 Dap - out September/October 2016. 5 minutes ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 6 minutes ago
- › New Burson Conductor - V2 and V2+ 6 minutes ago
- › PSB M4U 1 by JoshG1217
- › Cayin i5 by daduy
- › Goldring DR150 High Fidelity Stereo Headphones by themindfreak
- › Sparkos Labs SS3602 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ by VintageFlanker
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by GirgleMirt
- › Onkyo E700M In-ear headphones Black with microphone by doraymon
- › K240 DF by asymcon
- › TWag V4 Litz ciem replacement cable by tex thai
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by Varun Shankar
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear