Well I got them I didn't expect bass but I also didn't expect.....none, at all I'm using a dark amp for them, I have had them for a while and read that the k601-701 pads can increase the bass any truth behind this? Currently I have put a piece of fabric on the back of the pad and it has bumped the bass up a tad are their any suggestions on modifications*soft mod preferably* to increase the bass just a bit more?
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones + dac/amp help please Last post on 4/16/12 at 5:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- headphone upgrade help! Last post on 8/24/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone recommendation Last post on 8/22/11 at 10:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- So, I got my Q701 today... Last post on 10/29/11 at 2:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG k240 mkII - looking for upgrade - [Solved] AKG k702 Last post on 6/24/13 at 5:26am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction: From the company that brought you the N5 and N6 sources comes the Cayin i5. The i5 is their entry into the very competitve mid priced DAP market. Cayin also has other lines of...
The product was provided to me free of charge for the review purpose in exchange for my honest opinion. The review was originally posted on my blog, and now I would like to share it with all of...
UP with the Encasement of Sound! When I heard the Shanling UP, I was perplexed. I had read many a comment espousing the virtues of the Audioquest Dragonfly Black (DFB), and especially the Red...
To begin with, I would like to thank iFi for making this great tour and allowing some of us to test this product. I've been enjoying my original micro iDSD since January 2015 and it is really a...
-- **This review is a sample portion from the full thread: Meet the Puresounds Earbud Family.** **All photos are taken by me.** **Disclaimer - I was provided the Puresounds...
Adding bass ot the K500's?post #1 of 223/6/11 at 4:30pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 223/6/11 at 4:35pmpost #3 of 223/6/11 at 4:42pmpost #4 of 223/6/11 at 5:49pmpost #5 of 223/6/11 at 9:18pm
Get a Luxman P-1u for them, it really helps !
But if a $3000 mod isn't an option, I think your best option is to learn to love for what they do right. K701 pads do increase the bass a bit, but in my opinion also completely destroy the sound signature of the K500.post #6 of 223/6/11 at 10:48pmThread Starter
well the k701's are outta my price range, I could sell them and get the k601's FS here but headphones don't move that fast.
and yea a $3000 mod is a bit out of my price, only a little *cough*
Also I'm not looking for like BASSSSSS!!!!!!111!!!!11
that's why I have the HFI-580's i just want enough bass so that rock wont sound so flat, granted it has wonderful sound stage but the lack of bass is just kind of MEH
Edited by WhiteCrow - 3/6/11 at 10:53pmpost #7 of 223/6/11 at 11:00pmpost #8 of 223/6/11 at 11:07pmThread Starter
yes...I get that I'm asking is their anything I can do just to bump it up a bit, I don't have the money to throw them out and buy new cans.
and some one mentiond felt where would I put such a thing? I have seen some headphones if you cover the outer part of the pads it can add bass would that same thing apply here?post #9 of 223/7/11 at 12:46am
I'm not sure, you would just have to experiment. But one thing you could try is K601 pads. They are said to be a middle ground between the 701 pads and 501 pads and might add some bass or midbass without changing the tone.
I actually liked the 701 pads on the K500 if I'm remembering right. I just didn't like them on the K400. They make the sound a bit more dry and analytical but I thought it worked ok on the K500.post #10 of 223/7/11 at 1:09amThread Starterpost #11 of 223/7/11 at 1:41am
Yes they are!
I've been experimenting with my K501s and AKG pads for quite some time. This is one of the most effective and yet simple mod one can do.
Here is what I think of them :
K601 pads: these are the fattest and fluffiest of all. The velour fabric is the thickest of all 3, which provides a better seal (hence more bass). I think they're also a bit deeper but only slightly.
I'm not so fond about them (they color the sound a bit too much for my liking). They do increase bass quite significantly (the most of all 3 pads) , but sacrifice the midrange 'purity' (sort of speak) in the process.
I've only tried the on my v3 and v1 K501 (which are bassier). Not sure how they apply to K500, but I would absolutely give them a try.
K701 pads: these are quite similar to the K601 pads, maybe a bit more dense and less fluffy. Their main feature is that one side is fatter (angling the drivers a little bit). I use to like them quite a lot with my ver.2 K501 (which is probably closest to the K500 in sound signature, very airy and bass-less). Not as much today, but I still prefer them with certain types of music/recordings. Sound signature wise they're kind of midway between K601 and K501 pads.
K501 original pads: initially I didn't care for them all that much. Compared to the other two they just seemed bass-light, boring and dry. After more listening and buying brand new pads (from Thomann.de) I came to like them the most. I think the condition of the pads is very important. Very worn ones don't sound as good as new ones.
Another type of mod that improves the sound a bit: bitumen/blue-tack (or similar) dampening on the back of the drivers. Also a tiny bit on the inner, smaller cup.
I've found that this mod reduces a bit the glare of the mid-highs , where K501 is the hottest , and gives a bit more clarity and balance to the sound. I'm not sure if it affects directly the low frequencies (if it does it's subtle anyways), but it does help by contrast (from removing treble glare)
Edited by audiofil - 3/7/11 at 1:45ampost #12 of 223/7/11 at 1:46amThread Starter
I see, I will try to get my buddy to let me try his k601 pads out, the k500 pads are original and have been through 3 users, great condition but some ware on them. I'm going to try to get a moderatly thin layer of felt and line the inside of the cup with it and see if that helps, I wish I could stuff the pads but that would entail tearing them up.post #13 of 223/7/11 at 2:01amThread Starterpost #14 of 223/7/11 at 11:01amYou dont want to just stuff the pads. A bigger chamber or more distance between driver and ear reduces bass.
You want to either make the chamber smaller, flatten the pads (try pushing the phones against your head a bit) or make the pads seal better. A better seal will mean more bass, which is why leather pads are bassier than cloth if theyre the same size/shape. So you could try something on the outside of the pads. Some grado users put electrical tape around the outside of the bowl pads to increase bass.post #15 of 223/7/11 at 11:13am
Stuffing the pads can work, a simple mehod to increase the bass it to build a thin "sausage" out of paper tissue and adhesive tape. You place that construct as a ring in your pads, and voilà, there's the boom. I personally didn't keep that in any can though, the effect is too strong for my taste.
Edited by nickchen - 3/7/11 at 11:17am
- Adding bass ot the K500's?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 27 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 30 seconds ago
- › Cypherus Audio Products Discussion Thread: CampFred Earbuds, QFred... 1 minute ago
- › Review: 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphone with In-line... 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › Woo Audio WA-8 1 minute ago
- › best sounding 6922/e88cc tubes :D 2 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-7200 4 minutes ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 4 minutes ago
- › Objectivists board room 4 minutes ago
- › Cayin i5 by subguy812
- › Lotoo Paw Pico by twister6
- › Shanling UP Portable DAC/Headphone Amplifier AMP ES9018K2M+MAX97... by ngoshawk
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by rafaelpernil
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Schiit Audio Vali 2 by DeeKay10
- › AKG K92 | Over Ear Closed Back Monitoring Headphone by SaturnVuk
- › ORIVETI NEW PRIMACY - Premium Triple Driver Hybrid HiFi IEM Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Accutone Gemini HD by crabdog
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear