Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Prodipe Pro800: Best Easily Found <$50 Headphone Ever? (Impressions and Reviews Thread)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Prodipe Pro800: Best Easily Found <$50 Headphone Ever? (Impressions and Reviews Thread) - Page 3

post #31 of 42

I have never heard an AKG unfortunately. The Cortex's do go lower and yes I'm sure that they are the same as the Prodide's minus the tape.

At least, when I took them apart that was the only discernible difference.

 

Same enclosures, same sqaure piece of foam inside, same slots (but like I said half of the Prodipe's are covered while the Cortex are completely open), same drivers etc, etc. If there is another difference I couldn't see it.

 

The Cortex's do go lower and they destroy the XB500's. They may not go quit as low as the XB500's but the Prodipe's and the Cortex just kill them in every other regard. One thing I noticed about the XB500's is that the bass was omnipresent - ie always there whether it was on the recording or not. Neither the Cortex's or the Prodipe's do this. Bass is only present when it is on the recording, which is how it should be IMO. And the bass (when present) is strong and powerful.

 

Since you do want the lower, more pronounced bass I too think the Cortex would be the wise choice for you.

 

And trust me, dude, they are circumaural.

 

 

 

 

PS I really wish Ishcabible would come in here and answer some of these questions.

 

 

ISHCABIBLE! SHOW YOURSELF!!!


Edited by Olimoronio - 3/6/11 at 12:14pm
post #32 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olimoronio View Post

The Cortex's do go lower and they destroy the XB500's. They may not go quit as low as the XB500's but the Prodipe's and the Cortex just kill them in every other regard. One thing I noticed about the XB500's is that the bass was omnipresent - ie always there whether it was on the recording or not. Neither the Cortex's or the Prodipe's do this. Bass is only present when it is on the recording, which is how it should be IMO. And the bass (when present) is strong and powerful.

 


I've got the 700s and not the 500s, but I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be the whole point of the XB500s.  They've got so much bass that they bring bass that's normally buried in the mix to the forefront.

 

On some live albums I can hear the rumblings of crap being moved about on stage, back stage, stuff that sounds like passing traffic, etc.  They open you up to whole new world of recording flaws that no one else can hear.  That's why they're best for purely electronic music which won't contain any of those flaws since it isn't recorded in the first place.

 

They also go lower than anything else I've heard at any price (though the XB1000s would appear to have stolen that crown) and they're probably worth keeping just for that.

post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olimoronio View Post

ISHCABIBLE! SHOW YOURSELF!!!

 

let me see if i can invoke him

 


ISHCABIBLE! ISHCABIBLE! ISHCABIBLE!

 

beetlejuice.jpg

 

 

I am seriously considering get me some prodipes 800 next month, and if i do ill ask Joker if he wants to review mines.

post #34 of 42
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olimoronio View Post

I have never heard an AKG unfortunately. The Cortex's do go lower and yes I'm sure that they are the same as the Prodide's minus the tape.

At least, when I took them apart that was the only discernible difference.

 

Same enclosures, same sqaure piece of foam inside, same slots (but like I said half of the Prodipe's are covered while the Cortex are completely open), same drivers etc, etc. If there is another difference I couldn't see it.

 

The Cortex's do go lower and they destroy the XB500's. They may not go quit as low as the XB500's but the Prodipe's and the Cortex just kill them in every other regard. One thing I noticed about the XB500's is that the bass was omnipresent - ie always there whether it was on the recording or not. Neither the Cortex's or the Prodipe's do this. Bass is only present when it is on the recording, which is how it should be IMO. And the bass (when present) is strong and powerful.

 

Since you do want the lower, more pronounced bass I too think the Cortex would be the wise choice for you.

 

And trust me, dude, they are circumaural.

 

 

 

 

PS I really wish Ishcabible would come in here and answer some of these questions.

 

 

ISHCABIBLE! SHOW YOURSELF!!!


I'M SORRY I HAVE A LIFE. Haha. And yeah, they're definitely circumaural. Their hole is about a couple milimeters smaller than the K271 hole. The headphones themselves are surprisingly big.

 

Once I get them back from the loaner program I'll experiment with the bass ports

 

 


 


Edited by Ishcabible - 3/6/11 at 4:41pm
post #35 of 42

So, I just saw a banner ad for the Prodip 800s at Neweeg here on headfi.

 

Destiny or tracking cookies?

 

Either is disturbing if you ask me...


Edited by maverickronin - 3/7/11 at 8:43pm
post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickronin View Post

So, I just saw a banner ad for the Prodip 800s at Neweeg here on headfi.

 

Destiny or tracking cookies?

 

Either is disturbing if you ask me...


every time you click it Oli and Ish gets one dollar.

 

post #37 of 42

1. Good thing I didn't click on it then.  wink_face.gif

 

2. Where do I sign up for this racket?

post #38 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMcProgger View Post




every time you click it Oli and Ish gets one dollar.

 


I really wish this was true.

 

post #39 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickronin View Post

I guess they aren't Ultrasone OEMs then, just a knock-off of the design.



every time this design 'phone comes out peeps say it must be an ultrasone. its not. ultrasone uses a generic design used by many many headphone manufacturers

post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourfpshero View Post

every time this design 'phone comes out peeps say it must be an ultrasone. its not. ultrasone uses a generic design used by many many headphone manufacturers


So I suppose the question becomes, "Who's the real OEM?" then.

post #41 of 42
Thread Starter 

Finally wrote a review. (I've been really slow lately...) I really don't know what to do with them now. Anyone have a headphone with broken drivers? I'd hate for these to go to waste because of their shoddy build. Their drivers are excellent.


Edited by Ishcabible - 6/17/11 at 7:44am
post #42 of 42

IMO these are pretty decent headphones for the price. I bought the original version, the Takstar TS-650. Their pretty warm, but they've got great bass, they feel really sturdy. The only down is that these aren't really portable headphones, their pretty heavy and get pretty warm after a while.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Prodipe Pro800: Best Easily Found <$50 Headphone Ever? (Impressions and Reviews Thread)