New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ECCI PR401 Review - Page 2

post #16 of 33

I'm shooting for earphones under $80, and even though the M3's are $10 more than that, I don't think I could do it. For balanced sound, which do you consider better: the PR401's or or the Head-Direct RE0's? I also want these to last long, so durability is a big factor. Thanks!


 

post #17 of 33

Also, listening to music like dupstep, bass is indeed a factor with the sound, along with the mids and highs... it's just so complicated... it would be nice if you could test them first.

post #18 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo212 View Post

I'm shooting for earphones under $80, and even though the M3's are $10 more than that, I don't think I could do it. For balanced sound, which do you consider better: the PR401's or or the Head-Direct RE0's? I also want these to last long, so durability is a big factor. Thanks!


 



 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo212 View Post

Also, listening to music like dupstep, bass is indeed a factor with the sound, along with the mids and highs... it's just so complicated... it would be nice if you could test them first.



yeah id say the PR401 is better suited than the RE-0 for what you want

post #19 of 33

Just to be sure, on songs that aren't supposed to have a lot of bass, the PR401's don't overy-amplify the bass, do they? I promise this is the last question :P


 

post #20 of 33

I'm not sure if these just passed some burn-in threshold or running them through the impedance adapter for a long time did something but I listened to them today unamped & without the resistor adapter and WOW.. it's like they were reborn or something.. just gorgeous balance.

 

The midbass hump has now completely smoothed out and the bass has become really well textured and much better controlled.  Out of the box, the mids were a bit dry (for my taste) and recessed.. not any more.. they have just the right level of lush and thickness without muddying up instrument separation.  The mids have moved forward to come into excellent balance with the deep bass and shimmering treble.  They're simply in perfect harmony with the bass and treble  now, where they were a little recessed before.  Vocals, snares, saxes, delicate percussion, and everything else that plays in the midrange sound really good and much more clear now.

 

The treble clarity is now better than it's ever been to my ears.. I'm amazed a budget dynamic can turn out this kind of ridiculously crisp, clean, treble with excellent timbre & no sibilance.  It was a little hot out of the box but their potential was evident.. now the rough edges has smoothed out and the treble has fantastic definition.

 

So, no more need for the impedance adapter with these now.. unamped, they're an absolute diamond in the rough.  Color me IMPRESSED.

post #21 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo212 View Post

Just to be sure, on songs that aren't supposed to have a lot of bass, the PR401's don't overy-amplify the bass, do they? I promise this is the last question :P


 



no, dont worry the bass on these doesnt dominate in an way that it shouldnt

post #22 of 33

Alright, thanks! I'm sold on these :)


 

post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

I'm not sure if these just passed some burn-in threshold or running them through the impedance adapter for a long time did something but I listened to them today unamped & without the resistor adapter and WOW.. it's like they were reborn or something.. just gorgeous balance.

 

The midbass hump has now completely smoothed out and the bass has become really well textured and much better controlled.  Out of the box, the mids were a bit dry (for my taste) and recessed.. not any more.. they have just the right level of lush and thickness without muddying up instrument separation.  The mids have moved forward to come into excellent balance with the deep bass and shimmering treble.  They're simply in perfect harmony with the bass and treble  now, where they were a little recessed before.  Vocals, snares, saxes, delicate percussion, and everything else that plays in the midrange sound really good and much more clear now.

 

The treble clarity is now better than it's ever been to my ears.. I'm amazed a budget dynamic can turn out this kind of ridiculously crisp, clean, treble with excellent timbre & no sibilance.  It was a little hot out of the box but their potential was evident.. now the rough edges has smoothed out and the treble has fantastic definition.

 

So, no more need for the impedance adapter with these now.. unamped, they're an absolute diamond in the rough.  Color me IMPRESSED.




Being what you might call a "junior nerd," (:P) what exactly do you mean by "unamped and without the resister adapter"? Are they modifications you can make on the earphones?

post #24 of 33

Oh, and one more thing... where's a good place to buy these? They're not sold in America, are they? I'm just worried about shipping costs from elsewhere in the world.

post #25 of 33

Lend Me UR Ears

post #26 of 33

And that's free shipping?


 

post #27 of 33

Yup
"Shipping*
Free Worldwide international shipping via Singpost with tracking no. provided. We ship worldwide!"

I got my Xcape from him last week.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo212 View Post

And that's free shipping?

post #28 of 33
Cool, thanks a lot!
post #29 of 33

+1 to Mark when he says that the bass does not enter into the picture when not called for! Geo, if that is a priority, the pr401 is a good choice. The separation is also pretty good, only thing I miss is a bit more richer timbre to the string instruments.

post #30 of 33

Received the PR401 a couple of days ago and out-of-the-box I wasn't impressed at all.

Let them burn in for about 40/45 hours over the last few days, but still was not impressed.

 

I am usually a single flare medium size tips guy. So I thought, why not give it a shot and try some different tips, because the fit of the single flares wasn't perfect. Well I tried these really huge double flare tips that I got with my Head-Direct RE0 a while back, and WOW!! Are you kiddin me? That big of a difference just because of different tips?

 

The PR401 now sounds very full with a LOT of body. Now I am officially impressed.

I agree with Flysweep above, these are very balanced headphones. No sibilance. 

I listen to a lot of electronic music (mainly trance) and I have to say this PR401 beats the RE0 and the X-cape V2 by a mile for this kind of music.

 

I got them off Ebay, seller wsz0304. Shipping took a while to Europe, but all good in the end.


Edited by Straby - 8/21/11 at 1:48am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: