- 10 Posts. Joined 10/2010
- Location: Auckland, New Zealand
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- REVIEW: Burson DA-160 vs Asus Essence One vs Creative X-Fi Titanium HD Last post on 8/7/13 at 6:48am in Dedicated Source Components
- Help with injecting positional audio (Dolby 5.1) into my current PC audio setup without a soundcard Last post on 6/24/14 at 12:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound Card Last post on 5/13/14 at 4:05am in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- Xonar One vs E09k + E17? Last post on 3/26/14 at 11:33am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best computer DAC under 100? Last post on 2/14/14 at 7:10pm in Dedicated Source Components
My setup: iBasso DX50 --> Dunu DN-1000 Packaging Yes the accessories in the box are plenty. But the cloth material used for inner box and metal case is poor. The black dust from the cloth...
It is really surprising to find this high quality CD performance in analog and digital format. When I connected it to Burson Audio Conductor, all the ignored CD library came back to life. This...
Got this earphones for the sole purpose of working out/biking. Tested out multiple sports headsets (similarly priced), from sennheiser and bose. They tend to sound better, especially than the...
Overall a great little card. Dolby headphone is amazing I preferred this card to my Sound Blaster Z, I sold that card when I needed a bit of money and bought this one to replace it for cheap and I...
I was in the market for a higher end 2.1 system when my search ended up at the Edifier website, I was impressed with the specs and decided to delve further, found a set at a nice price and pulled...
Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011) - Page 4
Gear mentioned in this thread:
If this thing sounds the same or better than the ST, I might replace it just for the volume knob (if it is an actual pot, not a "digital knob").
If it can work as a standalone Dolby/DTS decoder (for a game console, for example) and DAC, then it is almost a day-one buy.
It would be pure flexibility if it could work either through its own power supply or through USB power.
Edited by kumaiti - 6/2/11 at 10:13am
I really do think ASUS has addressed many issued to get the best sound.
That combined with the fact that they are a $10 Billion dollar corporation means [to me] that they can turn the stand alone Dac market upside down.
Their production and piece cost has got to be dirt cheap. They have not one or two engineers at their disposal like 99% of the high end Dac companies, Lavry, Weiss, Audio-GD, etc. etc. but can put a team of engineers on the task. Looking at past ASUS sound card products they seem to really "want" to make a Audiophile product that addresses Audiophile concerns.
I really do think this Asus Essence One will be one great Dac....or at least it has the potential to be.
I have a thought that it will be a GOOD DAC, but I have my doubts that it will be great.
The fact that they have so many engineers on staff will certainly help, but it's a matter of ROI to a certain extent. It's not their core function, their Essence soundcards notwithstanding. It's a drop in the bucket when compared to their motherboard business, and will continue to be even if it's wildly successful IMHO. Unless they can make a LOT of money doing it, it's not going to be an area of focus. Generally speaking, the market at that end is too small for a mass-producer to be interested.
BTW - I would add that good technology and access to engineering resources doesn't necessarily mean that they can implement it well in an audiophile target market even if they WANT to. DACs and amps are still going to have to SOUND right, and IMHO the best designers are in fact audiophiles/music nuts themselves.
I have a thought that they will give it enough attention that it will be an upgrade from your headphone out (hopefully a significant upgrade!) but not a lot more. I've heard the Essence card, and it's not bad...may pick on up myself. That said, it's not the earth-shattering sonic revolution that one might have read about in Stereophile. It's not going to replace the Ayre QB-9 any time soon.
Having said all this, I'd be happy to be proven wrong. A high quality but inexpensive DAC and headphone amp from a mainstream electronics manufacturer would be nothing but good IMHO.
and the others listen w/ their oscilloscope(Benchmark DAC-1 anyone?) and throw measurements at you, in order to try proving their point(and impress newbies)..."OH MY GODZ, 150dB SNR...it's gonna rule!"
Hey how ya doing Lee....long time.
What you don't like the sound of an oscilloscope???
The thought came to mind.
How would Asus sell the Essence One??
Certainly computer stores are not the place, neither is Best Buy, Walmart, etc.
They might have a issue on their hands because if they cant move the unit it will get discontinued very quickly.
No updates yet? I'm starting to think this is some type of mystical creature like a leprachaun or a unicorn. I'm debating if I should just get an external amp for my X-Fi titanium until this card comes out.
- Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
- › AUDEZE LCD 2 (FAZOR) & DHC single ended cable 11 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread 46 seconds ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-M40x: The Little Brother that Could 1 minute ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 6 minutes ago
- › Yamaha EPH100 and T-PEOS Altone200 7 minutes ago
- › Upgrading my iems 7 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 7 minutes ago
- › Free 192kHz/24-bit Percussion & Drum Music 9 minutes ago
- › Post Your Photography Here #2 (new dial-up 800X600 friendly) 9 minutes ago
- › Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS! 10 minutes ago
- › Dunu DN-1000 by screwedpeep
- › Sony BDPS500 Bravia Theater Sync Blu-ray Player by Joong
- › Audio Technica Sonic Fuel ATH-CKX9iS In-ear Headphones with In-line... by BenKatz
- › Asus Xonar DGX by TsukiNick
- › Edifier S730 by Croozer
- › Velodyne vPulse In-Ear Headphones (Classic Black) by spinnin
- › QLS QA360 Portable HiFi Lossless Music Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Koss Pro4S Full Size Studio Headphones, Black with Silver Trim by psblend
- › Meier Audio Corda Classic by longbowbbs
- › Klipsch Image S4i II Black In-Ear Headphones with Microphone by laurentiusjan
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)