- 10 Posts. Joined 10/2010
- Location: Auckland, New Zealand
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- REVIEW: Burson DA-160 vs Asus Essence One vs Creative X-Fi Titanium HD Last post on 8/7/13 at 6:48am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best computer DAC under 100? Last post on 2/14/14 at 7:10pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Suitable DAC and Amp for Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 1/22/14 at 11:16pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Advice regarding the Asus Xonar Essence One Last post on 1/22/14 at 3:56am in Dedicated Source Components
- Volume control - analog or software? Speaker or DAC? Last post on 1/11/14 at 1:46pm in Computer Audio
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 1/22/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio)Last edited: 12/10/13
This review is based on the brief time I had the X5 as part of the UK tour. I am not going in the facts, like spec, what's in the box etc, we all know that by now. This is all my...
In this review, I will be introducing what I believe to be Noontec Zoro's brother, the Zoro HD. The Zoro was a very successful headphone that get positive reviews on several big audio forum/website...
Hello Just few words about my self: Im professional sound engineer, who enjoys pure and flat sound. Nothing hyped and no snake oil for me thank you. Just got them couple days ago, and i was...
For the first time I'm actually digging Beats. I've owned and tried different audiophile headphones. Sony MA900, Audio Technica AD900x/AD700x, V-Moda Crossfade M-100 and Sennheiser PC360 are some...
I really enjoyed this headset for the short period I used them. After only a couple of months of very light use (walking to the office), the headband broke at the left hinge. Unfortunately the shop...
Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011) - Page 4post #46 of 29516/1/11 at 10:14pmThread StarterNo word from Computex?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 29516/2/11 at 10:06am
If this thing sounds the same or better than the ST, I might replace it just for the volume knob (if it is an actual pot, not a "digital knob").
If it can work as a standalone Dolby/DTS decoder (for a game console, for example) and DAC, then it is almost a day-one buy.
It would be pure flexibility if it could work either through its own power supply or through USB power.
Edited by kumaiti - 6/2/11 at 10:13ampost #48 of 29516/2/11 at 2:13pmpost #49 of 29516/15/11 at 7:40am
I really do think ASUS has addressed many issued to get the best sound.
That combined with the fact that they are a $10 Billion dollar corporation means [to me] that they can turn the stand alone Dac market upside down.
Their production and piece cost has got to be dirt cheap. They have not one or two engineers at their disposal like 99% of the high end Dac companies, Lavry, Weiss, Audio-GD, etc. etc. but can put a team of engineers on the task. Looking at past ASUS sound card products they seem to really "want" to make a Audiophile product that addresses Audiophile concerns.
I really do think this Asus Essence One will be one great Dac....or at least it has the potential to be.post #50 of 29516/15/11 at 8:34ampost #51 of 29516/15/11 at 8:48am
I have a thought that it will be a GOOD DAC, but I have my doubts that it will be great.
The fact that they have so many engineers on staff will certainly help, but it's a matter of ROI to a certain extent. It's not their core function, their Essence soundcards notwithstanding. It's a drop in the bucket when compared to their motherboard business, and will continue to be even if it's wildly successful IMHO. Unless they can make a LOT of money doing it, it's not going to be an area of focus. Generally speaking, the market at that end is too small for a mass-producer to be interested.
BTW - I would add that good technology and access to engineering resources doesn't necessarily mean that they can implement it well in an audiophile target market even if they WANT to. DACs and amps are still going to have to SOUND right, and IMHO the best designers are in fact audiophiles/music nuts themselves.
I have a thought that they will give it enough attention that it will be an upgrade from your headphone out (hopefully a significant upgrade!) but not a lot more. I've heard the Essence card, and it's not bad...may pick on up myself. That said, it's not the earth-shattering sonic revolution that one might have read about in Stereophile. It's not going to replace the Ayre QB-9 any time soon.
Having said all this, I'd be happy to be proven wrong. A high quality but inexpensive DAC and headphone amp from a mainstream electronics manufacturer would be nothing but good IMHO.post #52 of 29516/15/11 at 8:51ampost #53 of 29516/15/11 at 11:05am
and the others listen w/ their oscilloscope(Benchmark DAC-1 anyone?) and throw measurements at you, in order to try proving their point(and impress newbies)..."OH MY GODZ, 150dB SNR...it's gonna rule!"post #54 of 29516/15/11 at 11:09ampost #55 of 29516/15/11 at 11:09amQuote:
Hey how ya doing Lee....long time.
What you don't like the sound of an oscilloscope???post #56 of 29516/15/11 at 11:14ampost #57 of 29516/15/11 at 11:18ampost #58 of 29516/15/11 at 11:34am
The thought came to mind.
How would Asus sell the Essence One??
Certainly computer stores are not the place, neither is Best Buy, Walmart, etc.
They might have a issue on their hands because if they cant move the unit it will get discontinued very quickly.post #59 of 29516/23/11 at 1:45pmpost #60 of 29517/20/11 at 3:35pm
No updates yet? I'm starting to think this is some type of mystical creature like a leprachaun or a unicorn. I'm debating if I should just get an external amp for my X-Fi titanium until this card comes out.
- Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced 10 seconds ago
- › Insane Question! Using Headphones for watching movies? 22 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 52 seconds ago
- › How to find a low priced Chinese version of any super expensive DAC? 54 seconds ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 54 seconds ago
- › Guitar-fi anyone? 1 minute ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › 8 years ago . . . 3 minutes ago
- › Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC/Preamp/Amplifier Review & Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 High-res Portable Music Player by KT66
- › Noontec ZOROHDBLK ZORO HD True Sound Headphones with Inline Mic and... by BillsonChang007
- › Hisoundaudio BA100 by Jazmanaut
- › Beats Studio Wireless Over-Ear Headphone by gl0ry
- › AKG K619 Premium DJ Headphones with Mic (Black) by jonnablaze
- › Cowon EM1 In-Earphone by vaibhavp
- › AKG K451 High-Performance Foldable Mini Headset (Black) by subwoofer
- › Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone by aeromaniac
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by echo1284
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude