Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011) - Page 191

post #2851 of 2965

Yes, I think so. 

 

If I am in your position, I may buy 2 more muses01 and put them in LPF stage and the matter is settled once and for all for these 2 sections. 

 

Many users who installed muses in HP/RCA buffers did not find much improvements. In fact, many found that 49710/49720s (metal caps) perform very well in HP section and I can vouch that wholeheartedly. I have never tested 49990 so can't comment. 

post #2852 of 2965
Thx swapped testing now.
post #2853 of 2965
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamelge View Post
 

 

Which opamp combo are you using in the Plus version? 

 

My initial purchase with Standard version with stock op amps. Currently I am using 4 pieces of OPA2132PA in I/V and 5 pieces of 49720HA (metal caps) in LPF and HP/RCA outputs and this combo outperforms the sound quality of both Standard and Plus versions. I bought these opamps later on. My guess is that 49720 has played a bigger role in sound improvement. I have never tried the Muses version or op amps so can't comment. 


I am using the Asus op-amp swap kit so I have 2132PAs in the I/V positions and 4562NAs in the LPF as Asus recommended. Everything else is stock. I have heard great things about the metal can 49720s but did not test as I bought my Muses right after the Plus kit upgrade. I find the Plus version to be about 90% of the Muses for sound quality and actually prefer the Plus to the Muses with certain headphones and certain music but the Muses is the better piece in absolute terms.

 

Have you experienced any heat issues or oscillation with your 49720s? 

post #2854 of 2965
So.....very happy with SS I'm getting out of the E1 after moving around the 4 muses to the I/V and the LME49990 in the LPF.
I have to say the muses are so good at micro details love them, bass is thigh sound stage is wide and vocals dead on.
When I get some extra funds I'll buy 4 more and add 2 to the LFP and headphones and complete it to a full Muses E1 can't wait to hear it.
post #2855 of 2965
Quote:
Originally Posted by upside View Post
 


I am using the Asus op-amp swap kit so I have 2132PAs in the I/V positions and 4562NAs in the LPF as Asus recommended. Everything else is stock. I have heard great things about the metal can 49720s but did not test as I bought my Muses right after the Plus kit upgrade. I find the Plus version to be about 90% of the Muses for sound quality and actually prefer the Plus to the Muses with certain headphones and certain music but the Muses is the better piece in absolute terms.

 

Have you experienced any heat issues or oscillation with your 49720s? 

Initially, I was concerned over 49720s getting hot very quickly than other op amps but now I am using them for over the past 2 months without any issue. They are easily available online and not expensive so one can try them. 

 

I have also heard from other forum members that the difference between Plus and Muses editions is in the range of last 5-15 percent - still a difference that counts much in audiophile circles. 

 

You prefer Plus with which headphones? 

post #2856 of 2965

Got my E1 a couple days ago, first thing i did was check the balance with the volume under 9 o'clock and no issues there.

 

Installing the driver's was simple and easy. but i wasn't able to update the firmware for some reason, i wont try to update again unless there's a problem. 

 

The sound is buttery smooth,really enjoying it. Build is top notch apart from the plastic buttons, isn't bothering me though.

 

I'm going into a local audio store today to buy some opticle cables, i'll compare it to some of the expensive stuff while i'm there. 

 

All said and done it's brilliant for the money.


Edited by GorillaSceptre - 1/12/14 at 8:37pm
post #2857 of 2965

Is there anything new out there that can compete with this at the same price point, as one year on and I'm still unable to get the muses edition in the UK from a UK supplier, which I find totally ridiculous.

post #2858 of 2965

At this price point, not many Dac-HP-Preamp combo come to my mind which can beat Asus Essence One in built, sound quality and functionality. My guess is that muses edition might still be available in limited quantities in Europe and Asia. 

post #2859 of 2965

If they were available in Europe I wouldn't have had a problem getting one, I've had a google alert set up on google shopping for a year and never seen one become available in the UK or the rest of Europe.

 

Although I just spotted one on amazon uk and that's the first I've ever seen period.

post #2860 of 2965
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamelge View Post
 

At this price point, not many Dac-HP-Preamp combo come to my mind which can beat Asus Essence One in built, sound quality and functionality. My guess is that muses edition might still be available in limited quantities in Europe and Asia. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
 

Is there anything new out there that can compete with this at the same price point, as one year on and I'm still unable to get the muses edition in the UK from a UK supplier, which I find totally ridiculous.



True enough. I live in Portugal and could not find the muses anywhere. It was on sale through amazon.uk for a while and I was eyeballing it for a couple of months but never did make the decision to get it (partly because of financial capability, partly because of uncertainty) but once I finally decided to just get the thing it was no longer available :( .Could not find it anywhere after that.

Ended up ordering it from Hong Kong through accessoryjack.com (which I can recommend, as the item got here on time and very well packed).

I had to pay a really hefty customs and import tax, though. But oh well, once the unit got here and I set it up and listened to it I immediatelly started to feel better.

post #2861 of 2965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compfy Listenin View Post
 

 



True enough. I live in Portugal and could not find the muses anywhere. It was on sale through amazon.uk for a while and I was eyeballing it for a couple of months but never did make the decision to get it (partly because of financial capability, partly because of uncertainty) but once I finally decided to just get the thing it was no longer available :( .Could not find it anywhere after that.

Ended up ordering it from Hong Kong through accessoryjack.com (which I can recommend, as the item got here on time and very well packed).

I had to pay a really hefty customs and import tax, though. But oh well, once the unit got here and I set it up and listened to it I immediatelly started to feel better.

Why not just buy the muses opamps and install them yourself. People in this thread who had both muses edition and standard edition muses upgraded, say the standard upgrade SQ is slightly better

post #2862 of 2965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandah View Post
 

Why not just buy the muses opamps and install them yourself. People in this thread who had both muses edition and standard edition muses upgraded, say the standard upgrade SQ is slightly better

 

I see no reason why it should be better. Still, I was under the impression that the muses had a gaing switch at the back for lower impedance headphones (like my AD700x's). Apparently not so really I could have made the upgrade myself, I guess. No big deal. It's here now and sounding stellar.

post #2863 of 2965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compfy Listenin View Post
 

 

I see no reason why it should be better. Still, I was under the impression that the muses had a gaing switch at the back for lower impedance headphones (like my AD700x's). Apparently not so really I could have made the upgrade myself, I guess. No big deal. It's here now and sounding stellar.

I'm just going by all the impressions I've read in this thread, I personally would not know as I've only had the standard muses upgrade, However I was going to buy muses edition for the gain jumper and A10K potentiometer, but after many dislikes between the two I stay with standard muses up until 4 months ago

post #2864 of 2965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandah View Post
 

Why not just buy the muses opamps and install them yourself. People in this thread who had both muses edition and standard edition muses upgraded, say the standard upgrade SQ is slightly better


You would have to be a bit stupid not to do this unless you wanted the gain switch, in theory it should have been easier to buy the Muses Edition rather than buying the standard or plus versions and then sourcing the MUSES 01 Op-Amps.

post #2865 of 2965
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
 


You would have to be a bit stupid not to do this unless you wanted the gain switch, in theory it should have been easier to buy the Muses Edition rather than buying the standard or plus versions and then sourcing the MUSES 01 Op-Amps.

It's just the way it is, it's like how the PerfectWave DAC "PWD" mk1 upgraded to mk2 sounds better than the PWD mk2. All things should be equal but they are not unfortunately.....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)