Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011) - Page 137

post #2041 of 2965
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamics View Post


I just received the new "revised" version of the Muses edition and I would have to completely agree with you.  E1 Muses is far from from bright.  It sounds very smooth and lush.

 

However, my previous Muses edition was on the bright side and the bass was kind of thin too.  I don't know if I received a defective unit or what, but that's what it sounded like.  I was thinking it is possible I might have received the Plus edition wrapped in a Muses box? confused_face(1).gifI never really did open it up to confirm the op-amps.

 

But whatever issues I had with my old Muses have been resolved.  The new Muses I received directly from ASUS a few days ago has tight bass and detailed mids and highs.  It's a very smooth sound.  Non-fatiguing.

Yeah sounds like it was a defective unit going by your comparisons between the supposedly identical units one without the gain jumper, and maybe the E1 in this review is also a defect

post #2042 of 2965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandah View Post

Yeah sounds like it was a defective unit going by your comparisons between the supposedly identical units one without the gain jumper, and maybe the E1 in this review is also a defect

Strangely, after receiving two E1 muses units with the gain switch to replace my Muses edition without the gain, I ended up sending back the 2 units with the gain and keeping the one I had before.

 

The original sounded  more open,present, better separation & wider sound stage. 

 

It was airy, less full or mid-bass than the models with the gain switch, but it was refined. It was able to decay better and show more "hidden" details....

 

With some songs it was like night and day and with others it was there but difficult to hear.

 

The model with the gain sounded thick and veiled in comparison, too "shy" for my taste.

 

Maybe others would have / will prefer the model with the gain switch. A fellow Headfier "upside"shared the same finding with me, and I think he ended keeping the non gain version (hope he reads this and confirms....wink.gif)

post #2043 of 2965

Quite a few mixed feelings, seems to be hit and miss with how this unit sounds. Norway you have two E1s, mate could shed your thoughts on how if any the two units sound?

 

turokrocks, I remember you had a scratching problem with the volume nob on the second unit, I did not know you also had SQ issues, I'm glad you got it sorted out man

post #2044 of 2965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandah View Post

Quite a few mixed feelings, seems to be hit and miss with how this unit sounds. Norway you have two E1s, mate could shed your thoughts on how if any the two units sound?

 

turokrocks, I remember you had a scratching problem with the volume nob on the second unit, I did not know you also had SQ issues, I'm glad you got it sorted out man

Thank you.

The second replacement was flawless, except I did not like how it sounded, and I kept it for about a week before taking a final decision.

 

Believe me the difference was  not "Placebo"...

 

 

At least I am happy now....

post #2045 of 2965

I believe you man, there is too many mixed experiences just in the last few pages of this thread, which cancels out any Placebo effect

post #2046 of 2965
Quote:
Originally Posted by turokrocks View Post

Thank you.

The second replacement was flawless, except I did not like how it sounded, and I kept it for about a week before taking a final decision.

 

Believe me the difference was  not "Placebo"...

 

 

At least I am happy now....

Actually, I think ASUS sent me the one without the gain switch again.  I thought I had the gain switch in the beginning, but I don't think I do.  In fact the sound quality improved with the new unit; bass is tighter and just everything else doesn't sound as thin which might explain the reason as to why my new Muses is not "bright" on the bright side.  The new unit seems to have a much more realistic presentation with bass being more pronounced where it should be.  The channel imbalance is gone too.

 

I thought I had it at first cause it seemed like it gave me more room to control the volume.  But it's really the same old switch and I still leave the volume knob around the 8 o'clock position.

 

And if there was a drop in sound quality believe me I would notice it as well.

 

Now, that you mention the SQ drop with the gain switch I'm glad I don't have it.

 

I am another very happy owner of the Asus Essence One Muses.

 

I think my first one was likely a defective unit cause I bought the Muses as soon as it was announced and the first store that had it I hit the buy button.  I bought it from some store I can't even remember the name anymore and had never heard of it.  But I wanted it desperately and bought it from them.  I should also mention my first Muses came without the US power cord and I also had to set the voltage on the back to 115 for US.  Also, the usb connection on the back was very loose on the back.  It felt very fragile.  It was most likely one of very first ones out of productions and maybe the quality control wasn't as good or installation of some of the parts wasn't done properly.  But I'm finally very happy with my new one and glad I got it exchanged :D.  The new one came with a US power cord and the usb fits nice and tight on the back :D.

post #2047 of 2965
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamics View Post

Actually, I think ASUS sent me the one without the gain switch again.  I thought I had the gain switch in the beginning, but I don't think I do.  In fact the sound quality improved with the new unit; bass is tighter and just everything else doesn't sound as thin which might explain the reason as to why my new Muses is not "bright" on the bright side.  The new unit seems to have a much more realistic presentation with bass being more pronounced where it should be.  The channel imbalance is gone too.

 

I thought I had it at first cause it seemed like it gave me more room to control the volume.  But it's really the same old switch and I still leave the volume knob around the 8 o'clock position.

 

And if there was a drop in sound quality believe me I would notice it as well.

 

Now, that you mention the SQ drop with the gain switch I'm glad I don't have it.

 

I am another very happy owner of the Asus Essence One Muses.

 

I think my first one was likely a defective unit cause I bought the Muses as soon as it was announced and the first store that had it I hit the buy button.  I bought it from some store I can't even remember the name anymore and had never heard of it.  But I wanted it desperately and bought it from them.  I should also mention my first Muses came without the US power cord and I also had to set the voltage on the back to 115 for US.  Also, the usb connection on the back was very loose on the back.  It felt very fragile.  It was most likely one of very first ones out of productions and maybe the quality control wasn't as good or installation of some of the parts wasn't done properly.  But I'm finally very happy with my new one and glad I got it exchanged :D.  The new one came with a US power cord and the usb fits nice and tight on the back :D.

Dy...why don't you give your E1 the "Screw" treatment...biggrin.gif (NO PUN INTENDED)..and see if the gain is there (with a picture).

Very easy to open...

post #2048 of 2965
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamics View Post

Actually, I think ASUS sent me the one without the gain switch again.  I thought I had the gain switch in the beginning, but I don't think I do.  In fact the sound quality improved with the new unit; bass is tighter and just everything else doesn't sound as thin which might explain the reason as to why my new Muses is not "bright" on the bright side.  The new unit seems to have a much more realistic presentation with bass being more pronounced where it should be.  The channel imbalance is gone too.

 

I thought I had it at first cause it seemed like it gave me more room to control the volume.  But it's really the same old switch and I still leave the volume knob around the 8 o'clock position.

 

And if there was a drop in sound quality believe me I would notice it as well.

 

Now, that you mention the SQ drop with the gain switch I'm glad I don't have it.

 

I am another very happy owner of the Asus Essence One Muses.

 

I think my first one was likely a defective unit cause I bought the Muses as soon as it was announced and the first store that had it I hit the buy button.  I bought it from some store I can't even remember the name anymore and had never heard of it.  But I wanted it desperately and bought it from them.  I should also mention my first Muses came without the US power cord and I also had to set the voltage on the back to 115 for US.  Also, the usb connection on the back was very loose on the back.  It felt very fragile.  It was most likely one of very first ones out of productions and maybe the quality control wasn't as good or installation of some of the parts wasn't done properly.  But I'm finally very happy with my new one and glad I got it exchanged :D.  The new one came with a US power cord and the usb fits nice and tight on the back :D.

 

If that's an exchanged unit it should be with gain jumpers. The volume pot on the gain jumper version is different to standard edition - to allow better range with the gain jumpers. All else is the same.  

post #2049 of 2965

ASUSXONAR, I know you represent North America, but do you know if the E1 muses edition with the gain jumper and fixed chl balance will be released in Australia anytime soon?

 

Cheers

~Steve

post #2050 of 2965
Quote:
Originally Posted by turokrocks View Post

Dy...why don't you give your E1 the "Screw" treatment...biggrin.gif (NO PUN INTENDED)..and see if the gain is there (with a picture).

Very easy to open...


Lol.  I won't bother with it.  I know it's pretty easy to open it up.  I'm very happy with the new unit.  I have no complaints.

 

Whether it has the gain jumper or not, it sure sounds better than the old one.  I wish I would have opened up the old one, cause the bass definitely wasn't right on that one and not too mention the channel imbalance was pretty bad on my unit.  But everything is taken care of now and the Muses sounds amazing.

post #2051 of 2965
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSXONAR View Post

 

If that's an exchanged unit it should be with gain jumpers. The volume pot on the gain jumper version is different to standard edition - to allow better range with the gain jumpers. All else is the same.  


Thanks for all your help by the way too.

 

I'm extremely happy with the new unit and it sounds amazing.

 

I couldn't be any happier.

post #2052 of 2965

For anybody wondering about sourcing the thing, I ordered and received a E1 Muses from Compsource. I haven't opened it or tried it yet, but it looks like I got the right thing (if I didn't, I'll note that too).

 

 

Came with the european cable set....Firmware: 0111, Firmware 1.27.


Edited by Quaintative - 5/1/13 at 1:27pm
post #2053 of 2965
Quote:
Originally Posted by turokrocks View Post

Strangely, after receiving two E1 muses units with the gain switch to replace my Muses edition without the gain, I ended up sending back the 2 units with the gain and keeping the one I had before.

 

The original sounded  more open,present, better separation & wider sound stage. 

 

It was airy, less full or mid-bass than the models with the gain switch, but it was refined. It was able to decay better and show more "hidden" details....

 

With some songs it was like night and day and with others it was there but difficult to hear.

 

The model with the gain sounded thick and veiled in comparison, too "shy" for my taste.

 

Maybe others would have / will prefer the model with the gain switch. A fellow Headfier "upside"shared the same finding with me, and I think he ended keeping the non gain version (hope he reads this and confirms....wink.gif)

 

Turokrocks is correct in that I share his impressions of the E1 Muses with the gain jumper as well as the version without the jumpers.

 

Actually, I have heard all versions of the E1. I started out with a stock base unit then upgraded to the Plus edition. I, like Turokrocks, received an early sample of the Muses without the jumpers and then a final Muses edition with jumpers and the A10 volume control. Each has a different sound signature as would be expected. I don't find the sound signature differences between each subtle in any way.

 

I can see someone describing the Muses without the gain jumpers as bright and headphones pairing definitely plays a part in the final overall sound. I found the "brighter" Muses sounded great with my HD-650s and Q-701s but a bit too peaky with my HD-800s and T1s. The Muses with the jumpers sounds a bit overly warm and veiled with the HD-650s and Q-701s but better with the HD-800s and T1s.

 

To each their own though.

 

Strangely, I still quite like my Plus version for certain recordings - even more than either Muses variety. I know - heresy. One reason I really like the Asus E1 is that you can tailor the sound to your taste and just enjoy the music.

post #2054 of 2965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaintative View Post

For anybody wondering about sourcing the thing, I ordered and received a E1 Muses from Compsource. I haven't opened it or tried it yet, but it looks like I got the right thing (if I didn't, I'll note that too).

 

 

Came with the european cable set....Firmware: 0111, Firmware 1.27.

Congrats on your latest purshace.

Hope you like it

 

Waiting for your impressions and comments/comparisons.

post #2055 of 2965

Does anyone know if the which version of the Essence One comes with the gain jumpers? I'm hoping all of them do as I can just fit the MUSES01 opamps to a standard Essence One and save at least $500.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)