Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011) - Page 135

post #2011 of 3014

lol he complains about firmware updates, I far prefer this to being stuck with "known issues" or software updates that "require RMA"....breaking news, there is software in DAC's and yes it can be improved if need be. Many DAC's(such as my DP1) can't have their software updated by the end-user so WYSIWYG(and yes the DP1 is amnesic and reverts to USB input and upsampling engaged whenever I turn it back on).

 

Also, from the pic on the first page, he doesn't seem to have a retail ONE with the improved A10K pot and the headamp gain jumper, so his review doesn't reflect what's being sold in shops.

 

And he complains that nothing can be stacked on top of it because of the curvy shell, well it's meant to act as a giant heatsink.


Edited by leeperry - 4/27/13 at 9:26am
post #2012 of 3014
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post

lol he complains about firmware updates, I far prefer this to being stuck with "known issues" or "software updates that require RMA"....breaking news, there is software in DAC's and yes it can be improved if need be. Many DAC's(such as my DP1) can't have their software updated by the end-user and that's it(and yes the DP1 is amnesic and reverts to USB input and upsampling engaged whenever I turn it back on).

 

Also, from the pic on the first page, he doesn't seem to have a retail ONE with the improved A10K pot and the headamp gain jumper BTW.

 

And he complains that nothing can be stacked on top of it because of the curvy shell, well it's meant to be used as a giant heatsink.

Usually reviews are meant to help, not confuse! 

The E1 (Muses) like to be (staked) in the upper position...like a king...biggrin.gif.

post #2013 of 3014
Quote:
With that in mind, I reached for the Sennheiser HD 800. WHOA! THAT SOUNDS MUCH BETTER.

 

I liked that part cuz I can agree to that! ksc75smile.gif

post #2014 of 3014

cssarrow was very active in this thread earlier, but I notice that he has been banned now... :(

 

He had modded his E1 to use red diodes and promised to share which diodes he used. We're talking about all the blue lights including that of the power button. Do anyone know which parts are suitable for the job? They should not be extremely bright

post #2015 of 3014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norway View Post

cssarrow was very active in this thread earlier, but I notice that he has been banned now... :(

 

He had modded his E1 to use red diodes and promised to share which diodes he used. We're talking about all the blue lights including that of the power button. Do anyone know which parts are suitable for the job? They should not be extremely bright


Yea... I've noticed the same... That's really sad. What did he do to get banned?

I miss him :(((((((((

post #2016 of 3014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenion View Post


Yea... I've noticed the same... That's really sad. What did he do to get banned?

I miss him :(((((((((

I have absolutely no idea, what a shame. He is very helpful and contributed greatly imo... :(

post #2017 of 3014

He had two separate accounts. Basic, who posted here previously about buying an E1, was him as well.

 

Head-Fi found out and banned both accounts.

post #2018 of 3014

I was of the opinion he moved over to the Schiit Mjolnir thread

post #2019 of 3014
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post

lol he complains about firmware updates, I far prefer this to being stuck with "known issues" or software updates that "require RMA"....breaking news, there is software in DAC's and yes it can be improved if need be. Many DAC's(such as my DP1) can't have their software updated by the end-user so WYSIWYG(and yes the DP1 is amnesic and reverts to USB input and upsampling engaged whenever I turn it back on).

 

Also, from the pic on the first page, he doesn't seem to have a retail ONE with the improved A10K pot and the headamp gain jumper, so his review doesn't reflect what's being sold in shops.

 

And he complains that nothing can be stacked on top of it because of the curvy shell, well it's meant to act as a giant heatsink.

Not to mention, if you look at the 6moons review (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/asus/5.html), he stacks 3 of them on top of each other.... So I wouldn't particularly call it impossible to stack. And I do believe that he mentions that it's a prototype/pre-production Essence ONE at the end of the review (If you're referring to the AudioStream review).

post #2020 of 3014
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post

 

 

Also, from the pic on the first page, he doesn't seem to have a retail ONE with the improved A10K pot and the headamp gain jumper, so his review doesn't reflect what's being sold in shops.

 

 

 

 

Your comments are well taken, although we clearly have different priorities in evaluating gear. It is worth noting that those are not pics of the actual unit.  But I will try to confirm which version was shipped to me for review, as those differences you mention could result in sonic differences, though I doubt the aggregate impressions would be much different.  Regardless, it is information I'd also like to have so thank you for pointing it out.

post #2021 of 3014
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monkey View Post

 

 

Your comments are well taken, although we clearly have different priorities in evaluating gear. It is worth noting that those are not pics of the actual unit.  But I will try to confirm which version was shipped to me for review, as those differences you mention could result in sonic differences, though I doubt the aggregate impressions would be much different.  Regardless, it is information I'd also like to have so thank you for pointing it out.

We all have different tastes when it comes to our own ears and that's a good thing, like I prefer the E1 muses "SQ alone" over the m903 and HP-A8C, that's just me.....where some would say that's ridiculous. So when we read reviews we are just getting the reviewers take, not our own, and listening as the review states quite a few times is the only way to like or not to like

 

However, I have to ask this question, because you say you have to confirm which version was shipped. To me your review really sounds like the Plus Edition, could this in anyway be true? The Plus is bright and has less bass than the Standard or Muses Edition


Edited by Gandah - 4/27/13 at 11:31pm
post #2022 of 3014

Well, rolling the headamp gain between the high & low positions changes SQ quite a bit tbh("high" providing a bassier & punchier sound and "low" sounding thinner & mellower).......and so does the improved pot apparently, so you may wanna try both positions with each of the reviewed phones again IMHO.....and if you don't have the headamp gain switch altogether then this is not a review of a retail Muses unit.

 

Personally, I believe it's good practice to only post pictures of the reviewed unit in order to avoid confusion...especially when you post an internal picture of a non-retail unit wink_face.gif


Edited by leeperry - 4/28/13 at 1:19am
post #2023 of 3014
post #2024 of 3014

HOLY ****, WHERES THE BUY BUTTON!?!?!?!?!

post #2025 of 3014

I don't really get it.

What's the difference between the STU and the Essence One? (despite the lack of upsampling...)


Edited by Kenion - 4/28/13 at 4:59am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)