Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011) - Page 130

post #1936 of 3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssarrow View Post

Even if buying from high feedbacks, you could end up receiving fakes and still not know.

I usually buy from those descriptions that have verified their op amp autencity.

Whichever op-amps i swap out for i/v, i still preferthe muses01.
They go well with pretty much anything for buffer, so at times its hard to find a better performing op-amp for the buffer stage.

When you say diode you mean the blue light emiting diodes?
I have already changed all of mine to red 3mm flat heads (flat looks way better on the essence one).
Not only did i change those, i also went on changing the surface mount leds that light up the power button with red as well.

It's a little lless bright now, but the color is awesome!
The previous blue color was way too bright, dont you agree?

 

Thank you, will follow your advice on using ebay.

 

Yes, not really a big fan of the blue. It used to give an exclusive look & feel back when they were rare. Nowadays it seems everything comes with those blue diodes. And yes, it's too bright, especially in a dark room. I've not read through this entire thread lately (read a lot of it 5 months ago), did you ever post an image of your unit with the red ones? If not, would you mind sharing with us? I imagine it to look more aggressive and go better together with the black. Will probably do the same thing myself.

post #1937 of 3016

Is this a limitation from the Creative ZXR or Asus Xonar one?

 

 

My settings:

 

 

post #1938 of 3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssarrow View Post


@WhiteRaven

Leads were too short and big, could not push them in the socket, and it would of looked ugly if they were mounted sideways.

I got one in so left side works now, took quite awhile to check for continuity so that nothing went wrong, its the right side that im worried about since another 100 ohm resistor came off, but it seems like a simple fix.

Now that i listen to the 49710 more, it does sound a tad bright, especially in speakers.
Maybe its cause im a treble freak.
I'll be auditioning the opa827 and lme49990 soon.
Im guessing since its more neutral, being less bright, if should have more bass/warmth than something like the 49720 right?

Yes the opa827 is warmer, in terms of bass in the buffer it problably has a somewhat more bass than the 49710. 

post #1939 of 3016

I'm very interested in the essence one and am wondering if it will drive my active infinity overture 1 speakers without an additional amp. The infinity's manual states: Amplifier Requirements: Recommended for use with amplifiers
10 ~ 100 W (@ 8 W)

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

 

John
 

post #1940 of 3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norway View Post

 

Thank you, will follow your advice on using ebay.

 

Yes, not really a big fan of the blue. It used to give an exclusive look & feel back when they were rare. Nowadays it seems everything comes with those blue diodes. And yes, it's too bright, especially in a dark room. I've not read through this entire thread lately (read a lot of it 5 months ago), did you ever post an image of your unit with the red ones? If not, would you mind sharing with us? I imagine it to look more aggressive and go better together with the black. Will probably do the same thing myself.

Will have the picture for you soon.

Looks a lot more aggressive and neutral, unlike the baby blue color looking tipsy and trying to sparkle.

 

If you don't know which SMD's to buy, i can help you out.

post #1941 of 3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssarrow View Post

Will have the picture for you soon.

Looks a lot more aggressive and neutral, unlike the baby blue color looking tipsy and trying to sparkle.

 

If you don't know which SMD's to buy, i can help you out.

 

Cool! :)

 

Yes, please.

post #1942 of 3016

I'm now running AD797Bs with decoupling and decompensation capacitors soldered on in the I/V stage, AD797Bs with decompensation capactitors in the LPF, and OPA627BMs in the buffer stage. The AD797Bs are stable and run warm, but they're designed to. The 627s remove the hiss that I was getting with the LME49990s in the buffer stage. I've tried running the LME49990s in other stages but it seems to remove a layer of detail, at least to my ears.

 

Basically I wanted to point out that the AD797s can run stable, they just need some modification to do so.

 

Sk1n5

post #1943 of 3016
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norway View Post

 

TH900, drooling ... :) I love Denon AH-D7000 so the TH900 has to be owned sometime! Do you find it to be a good match with E1? Did you get the MUSES edition? Will probably get MUSES, but not until I've rolled some opamps. I have two standard editions to simplify the rolling and maybe use one of them as a bedside rig :) Right now LCD-3 and AURALiC TAURUS and ARK MX+ is king, if E1 MUSES can top that I will be gobsmacked.

 

Which opamps do you like with TH900? Maybe the same combo will be good for D7000.

Yes you can tell by looks and sound sig of both HPs are made by Fostex, however I think the bass and midrange are more refined. Some reviews say that the TH900s midrange is king of all headphones including 009, and the bass although tight and punchy is a tad on the heavy side, around 2db too much, I did agree with this only when I was running the E1 with the stock opamps and not with any other opamp combos.

 

My E1 is the standard edition "rolled", other then the Muses my best combo was OPA2132, LM4562 a tad on the ice pick in ears bright side, but not even in the same ballpark as the Muses SQ. I also no longer use the E1s HP amp as I've just recently got a fully balanced amp, GS-X mk2 handmade by Justin at HeadAmp, I can't really comment on the GS-X yet as it's still burning in, also needs better XLR cables. However so far transparent and airy with authority.

 

Your Auralic setup looks amazing and I bet it sounds just as good too. Can you or have you tried the Grace or E1 balanced into the Taurus?


Edited by Gandah - 4/8/13 at 7:46pm
post #1944 of 3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit3Rav3n View Post

Yes the opa827 is warmer, in terms of bass in the buffer it problably has a somewhat more bass than the 49710. 

I have been using the 49720 and just recently tried the 49410 in the RCA out and didn't like the 49710 at all.   Back to the 49720 which has much better balance (not as bright).  Bass is tight and solid.   Overall response seems balanced across all frequencies.   Have an 827 and will try that when I get a chance.

post #1945 of 3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk1n5 View Post

I'm now running AD797Bs with decoupling and decompensation capacitors soldered on in the I/V stage, AD797Bs with decompensation capactitors in the LPF, and OPA627BMs in the buffer stage. The AD797Bs are stable and run warm, but they're designed to. The 627s remove the hiss that I was getting with the LME49990s in the buffer stage. I've tried running the LME49990s in other stages but it seems to remove a layer of detail, at least to my ears.

 

Basically I wanted to point out that the AD797s can run stable, they just need some modification to do so.

 

Sk1n5

I'm also using the AD797BR in I/V.   They  have .1uf stacked film caps across pins 4 & 8 and a 50pf ceramic across  pins 6 & 8 and they seem stable as they just run warm.   Is that the same thing you are doing.  Are the values the same?

post #1946 of 3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by endeeinn View Post

I'm also using the AD797BR in I/V.   They  have .1uf stacked film caps across pins 4 & 8 and a 50pf ceramic across  pins 6 & 8 and they seem stable as they just run warm.   Is that the same thing you are doing.  Are the values the same?


With the same decompensation (and without) my AD797BR's were stable only at I/V stage. All other positions were oscillating. Those oscillations could not be heard by ear.


Edited by DMarasovic - 4/9/13 at 12:30am
post #1947 of 3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk1n5 View Post

I'm now running AD797Bs with decoupling and decompensation capacitors soldered on in the I/V stage, AD797Bs with decompensation capactitors in the LPF, and OPA627BMs in the buffer stage. The AD797Bs are stable and run warm, but they're designed to. The 627s remove the hiss that I was getting with the LME49990s in the buffer stage. I've tried running the LME49990s in other stages but it seems to remove a layer of detail, at least to my ears.

 

Basically I wanted to point out that the AD797s can run stable, they just need some modification to do so.

 

Sk1n5

I tried decoupling with 100uF and 2220nF Capacitors but both didn´t really work. There was still oscillation noise. What did you use for decoupling, maybe i will try that.They sounded nice in the i/v though, but they weren´t quite as detailed as the 49990 and a bit thin. The 49990 is a bit too bright in the buffer.

post #1948 of 3016

Can all North American customers that have a MUSES Edition Essence One without the gain jumper feature please contact me via PM, if you would like to swap for one with the gain jumper feature. Have units here we can swap for you - we'll cover shipping both ways. Thanks.

post #1949 of 3016

That's pretty cool for those who do want to swap out. Nice one ASUSXONR darthsmile.gif

 

What about the people who can't stand the imbalance of their unit, like myself, can we swap it out for balanced unit? Sorry just putting it out therepopcorn.gif

post #1950 of 3016

I wish there was a fix for this imbalance sound issue.

 

Happens in speakers mainly.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)