Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011) - Page 75

post #1111 of 3014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssarrow View Post

Besides the custom usb cable, are you using anything else that's different than a default setup?

 

Try pressing on upsampling while your music is playing and turning it off, muting it, etc. Perhaps it would go away after burn in.

If not, just return it for a new one.

 

Tim

The power cord as it didnt come with a North American one, but it hasnt happened since I started using the default usb cable

post #1112 of 3014
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelIish View Post

The power cord as it didnt come with a North American one, but it hasnt happened since I started using the default usb cable


Seems like they made you a bad usb cable.

 

Tim

post #1113 of 3014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssarrow View Post

Did you make sure to hold Upsampling and Mute at the same time until the three red lights stopped flashing and turned solid before connecting?

 

If that still didn't work, plug your USB cord to a different socket on the computer. (Try and not do it on a USB 3.0 Port).

 

Tim


Hey Tim,

 

i got it updated and passed

 

but when i click the little icon on the tray, it still gave me blank on F/W

 

the unit work perfectly should i return it? or just deal with it?

post #1114 of 3014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pao_revolt View Post


Hey Tim,

 

i got it updated and passed

 

but when i click the little icon on the tray, it still gave me blank on F/W

 

the unit work perfectly should i return it? or just deal with it?

 

Try uninstall the driver, restarting your pc, re-updating the F/W, and re-installing the driver.

 

All three boxes should have numbers inside.

 

Tim

post #1115 of 3014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssarrow View Post

 

I realized it after comparing the two because i thought they looked extremely similar.

Turns out there was an FR right next to 105°.

Switching it to Panasonic FC is probably a downgrade. That is, unless you need some added resistance, i can't see why you'll need it though as FR/FM replaces FC.

 

Tim

 1500uf 25v  FR ripple=2600, FM=3190

 2200uf 16v  FR ripple=2600, FM=3190

   470uf 16v FR ripple=950, FM=1290

   330uf 25v FR ripple=950, FM=1240

All the FM's are the exact same diameter and lead spacing as the FR's but with greater ripple.

John

post #1116 of 3014
Quote:
Originally Posted by endeeinn View Post

 1500uf 25v  FR ripple=2600, FM=3190

 2200uf 16v  FR ripple=2600, FM=3190

   470uf 16v FR ripple=950, FM=1290

   330uf 25v FR ripple=950, FM=1240

All the FM's are the exact same diameter and lead spacing as the FR's but with greater ripple.

John

I've already stated that FR/FM is better than the FC.

FC has more resistance, and doesn't do good in this application with less ripple current than the two.

 

FR has a lower and higher uF range than the FM.

FR has slightly (barely) more ESR than the FM, and that's only for certain nominal caps.

FR has twice as much "endurance" life span than the FM.

 

Doesn't matter if the FM can resist a higher ripple current, the FR for this mini regulated psu pcb is good enough and even with lower ripple current specifications, was made to last twice as long as the FM.

 

FR  > FM > FC

 

Tim

post #1117 of 3014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssarrow View Post

 

Try uninstall the driver, restarting your pc, re-updating the F/W, and re-installing the driver.

 

All three boxes should have numbers inside.

 

Tim


reinstall driver did the trick

 

thanks tim

post #1118 of 3014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pao_revolt View Post


reinstall driver did the trick

 

thanks tim

Glad you got it working darthsmile.gif

 

Tim

post #1119 of 3014

Would I be able use my essence STX to send a virtual 7.1 signal to my essence ONE?

 

 

Also, electronic echo sounding thing has not happened since I stopped using the audioquest cable.


Edited by HelIish - 1/14/13 at 3:26pm
post #1120 of 3014

Where did the capacitors go?

 

 

 

Oh, there it is, partially..

 

 

post #1121 of 3014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssarrow View Post

Where did the capacitors go?

 

 

 

 

Oh, there it is, partially..

 

 

 

Did you finished changing the capacitors? If yes what kind of a difference has it made?

 

I am going to test some more op-s in the one, here is a part of the op-s that is going to be tested:

 

 

 

post #1122 of 3014

so i'm using the MUSES edition on XLR as a DAC only, compare with my Ayre QB-9, i would say that ASUS is a little bit better sound on my stax009.
 

thumb up to asus for the product as such a low price.

post #1123 of 3014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit3Rav3n View Post

Did you finished changing the capacitors? If yes what kind of a difference has it made?

 

I am going to test some more op-s in the one, here is a part of the op-s that is going to be tested:

 

I only resumed tonight as my soldering tip started to fail me and needed a new one.

That is a lot of op-amps (especially the metal cans)

 

As of now, this is what i have going on for the project.

 

  • Generous amount of thermal paste on PSU Heatsinks (using credit card method) 
  • Aluminum Heatsink on Smaller Fin side of PSU's Heat-sink (Size 25mmx25mmx10mm)
  • Nichicon Audio KA 50V Capacitors
  • 2x Elna Silmic II Capacitors for RCA Out (220uF @ 35V)
  • Gold Plated DIP-8 sockets. (to raise the TO-99 > DIP-8 adapter so it wouldn't hit capacitors/headphone out & volume meter)
  • Replacement LME49710HA w/ aluminum heat-sinks
  • A few OPA op-amps for testing
  • Custom rhodium plated power cord for Essence One
  • Silver Plated OFC Wire w/ silver plated Dupont Female Connector for PCI-E cable (Connecting PSU PCB to Audio PCB)
  • Remove solder from every joint, Replace with Kester 5% Silver Solder (SN95AG5)
  • Aluminum Heat-Sink on Analog Devices ADSP-21261 (Size: 14mmx14mmx6mm)
  • Aluminum Heat-Sink on CM6631 (Size: 11mmx11mmx5mm)

 

WIMA CAPACITORS:

From what i can tell, is that the 2200/100 and 1800/100 is FKP 2. (black marking)

0.022/100 and 8200/100 being FKS 2. (white/silver marking)

 

I used a flash light, which turns out, the bottom of the film capacitors were yellow epoxy (http://www.wimausa.com/EN/marking.htm)

 

FKP 2 is already good for audio application so no need to replace it.

From what i can see, switching the FKS 2 for FKP 2 will improve, or finding the same capacitors in lower tolerance.

 

TAW is going to be sending me a few sample FKP2 WIMA Capacitors for me to replace the stock ones.

This is what im aiming for, hopefully it will work out.

 

(4) 0.022uF/100V/2.5% FKP2 (Stock Essence One : 10% Tolerance FKS)
(6) 1800pF/100V/2.5% FKP2 (Stock Essence One : 5% Tolerance)
(8) 2200pF/100V/2.5% FKP2 (Stock Essence One : 5% Tolerance)
 
(8) 8200pF/100V/5%, or 2.5% FKS2 (Stock Essence One is 10% Tolerance)
OR 
8200pF/630V/10%, 5%, or 2.5% FKP (Stock Essence One is 10% Tolerance FKS)
 
From what i've learned, the lower tolerance, the more accurate levels the film capacitor produces which is more ideal.
Also, that it's okay to use higher voltage capacitors. They offered me 630V for the 8200pF (might be oversized), but i decided to try it out and see if it would fit. Being FKP instead of FKS should yield some improvements.
 
Correct me if im wrong.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by pao_revolt View Post

so i'm using the MUSES edition on XLR as a DAC only, compare with my Ayre QB-9, i would say that ASUS is a little bit better sound on my stax009.
 

thumb up to asus for the product as such a low price.

 

That's great!

 

I'm happy that it improved your sound quality.

 

The stax-009 is sexy. too bad i will never afford one.

 

Tim


Edited by cssarrow - 1/17/13 at 10:00pm
post #1124 of 3014

I decided to get the muses addition, but can't find a place that ships outside US!..appreciate the help guys...redface.gif

post #1125 of 3014
Quote:
Originally Posted by turokrocks View Post

I decided to get the muses addition, but can't find a place that ships outside US!..appreciate the help guys...redface.gif

 

Really, aren't they only on sale at EXcaliberPC ? their shipping calc lists pretty much all countries.

 

http://www.excaliberpc.com/622377/asus-xonar-essence-one-muses.html

 

I'm still waiting for a UK release date angry_face.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)