- Looking for the best pair of headphones (long lasting with really high sound quality-to-price ratio) available under $200 (after taxes/shipping to Canada)
- iPhone 4 will power the headphones the majority of the time, and a Macbook Pro the rest of the time
- Would love to have a mic for the iPhone functionality, but I prefer sound quality to that feature
- Looking for good bass that doesn't muddle the sound and high clarity in high's and mid's
- I listen to a WIDE variety of music, but focus on hip-hop/rap, electro/dubstep (don't judge me! haha)
- Some considerations (so far): Q-Jays (~$175), Sennheiser IE7 (~$160), Shure SE315 (~$200), Shure SE420 (~200), Fischer Audio DBA-02 (~$200), Etymotic Research hf5 (~$160), Klipsch Image X5 (~$190), Klipsch S5i (~$150).
- Thanks for your time and have a great day!
[History] I've been a long time lurker, and now a first time poster. Back in 2005-ish, I got a pair of Shure E2G's and they've served me well up until now (amazing for a pair of headphones I got for $70-ish off eBay). I lost the tips for them and so I bought a new set of tips, which set me back $18 and now I lost a tip and can't find the surplus of tips anywhere. I thought for headphones I got for ~$70, it'd be a waste of money to buy ANOTHER set of tips for $18 so now I want new IEM's lol.
Anyways, I'm currently a student and so I can't bring myself to spend more than $200 (shipping/tax included) on new in-ear's. I'm obsessed with getting value out of my products (like the six years of usage I got out of the E2G's, which are still awesome). That's why I probably would never buy headphones like the Monster Turbines because everyone talks about how fast they break and how overpriced they are. I want the highest sound quality-to-price ratio as possible without sacrificing longevity.
[What I'm looking for] I did some research on this site and so far, I have the Q-Jays (~$175), Sennheiser IE7 (~$160), Shure SE315 (~$200), Shure SE420 (~200), Fischer Audio DBA-02 (~$200), Etymotic Research hf5 (~$160), Klipsch Image X5 (~$190), Klipsch S5i (~$150) in mind. All of those prices are from eBay and after shipping, etc.
I listen to music off of my iPhone 4 and Macbook Pro. A mic would be AWESOME for my iPhone, but sound quality trumps the mic for me any day. I listen to a WIDE variety of music from classical to indie rock to hard electro, but I usually listen to hip-hop/rap and electro/dubstep. Bass is important to me, but bass that muddles the sound drives me nuts. Basically I want a pair of headphones with clear high's and mid's with noticeable bass that won't distort.
The E2G's are fairly clear with good mid's and high's (for its price), but I want a pair that is even better. I would also like to have some more emphasis on the bass.
I'm also worried about purchasing $200 headphones without trying them and without being able to return them if they don't fit, sound good, etc. I live in Vancouver, Canada and the only stores I know of that let you purchase and return used headphones are Futureshop and Bestbuy. This is why I'm relying on your expert opinions. Thanks for your time!