Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Denons, but not Denons" a.k.a. what are the other nice closed headphones?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Denons, but not Denons" a.k.a. what are the other nice closed headphones?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

In comparison to the pair of my Denon D5000s in which the screw has broken and I couldn't afford a repair and I had got to sell, another screw in another place of D2000s I have had got only yesterday, just have broken.

I'm totally frustrated with the quality of Denon headphones and even with loving their sound signature I'm going to sell the D2000s as soon as I get it repaired, I'm gonna to get another closed headphones, hopefully in some sub-$1000 price range. Could you recommend me anything that would sound nice and fun (especially for rock, electronic and pop music, I will get HD800s for another kinds) and would not break after a day? There are:

- ATH W5000

- JVC/Victor DX1000

- Sony CD3000 and Z1000

- Ultrasone Pro900

Which one of them would sound nice and would relatively be easy to run? I'm using NuForce Icon HDP at the moment as a source, planning to get Schiit Audio Lyr or Lake People G100 as an amp and PS DLIII as a DAC or iDecco as "everything" - not sure yet but it would nice if any of these equipment could run it (that's the thing I worry about with W5000s, heard they're pretty hard to amp).


Edited by jeycam - 3/2/11 at 6:21am
post #2 of 7

W1000X !

post #3 of 7

I'm surprised, I found the quality on my denons top-notch. The W5000 maybe a little difficult to drive, they are very picky on amps. The Nuforce should be able to power all of other headphones you've mentioned without much trouble but you would definitely want a dedicated amp somewhere down the line. I wouldn't recommend tube amps(schiit audio lyr) for closed headphones, you generally want solid state amps. Get the schiit asgard or KICAS instead.

post #4 of 7


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeycam View Post

In comparison to the pair of my Denon D5000s in which the screw has broken and I couldn't afford a repair and I had got to sell, another screw in another place of D2000s I have had got only yesterday, just have broken.

I'm totally frustrated with the quality of Denon headphones and even with loving their sound signature I'm going to sell the D2000s as soon as I get it repaired, I'm gonna to get another closed headphones, hopefully in some sub-$1000 price range. Could you recommend me anything that would sound nice and fun (especially for rock, electronic and pop music, I will get HD800s for another kinds) and would not break after a day? There are:

- ATH W5000

- JVC/Victor DX1000

- Sony CD3000 and Z1000

- Ultrasone Pro900

Which one of them would sound nice and would relatively be easy to run? I'm using NuForce Icon HDP at the moment as a source, planning to get Schiit Audio Lyr or Lake People G100 as an amp and PS DLIII as a DAC or iDecco as "everything" - not sure yet but it would nice if any of these equipment could run it (that's the thing I worry about with W5000s, heard they're pretty hard to amp).

 

Which screws are you referring to? The ones on the headband (securing the extension of the headband) or the ones holding the cups to the headband? 

 

Don't know much about the cans you referring to, but I would seriously shy away from Ultrasone headphones, since the additional parts that allow the swivel movement of the cups make them more delicate than other full-sized cans.

 

Beyer had sturdy built cans that doesn't break easily, but I am seriously struggling to think of one that is closed and fun like the Denons...

post #5 of 7

I currently have a W5000 and it provides a fine listening experience personally a better option than the Pro900. However, like many people had issues with the fitting, it's important that you get the right fit in order to get some bass in there. If you prefer the sound signature of the denons, I've heard W1000x is in par with the D7000s in the lower end.

post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake22 View Post

W1000X !

Are these fine? Haven't heard anything about them.
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by brasewel View Post

I'm surprised, I found the quality on my denons top-notch. The W5000 maybe a little difficult to drive, they are very picky on amps. The Nuforce should be able to power all of other headphones you've mentioned without much trouble but you would definitely want a dedicated amp somewhere down the line. I wouldn't recommend tube amps(schiit audio lyr) for closed headphones, you generally want solid state amps. Get the schiit asgard or KICAS instead.

As for an amp, decision is to be made. ;)
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by smashing View Post


 

 

Which screws are you referring to? The ones on the headband (securing the extension of the headband) or the ones holding the cups to the headband? 

 

Don't know much about the cans you referring to, but I would seriously shy away from Ultrasone headphones, since the additional parts that allow the swivel movement of the cups make them more delicate than other full-sized cans.

 

Beyer had sturdy built cans that doesn't break easily, but I am seriously struggling to think of one that is closed and fun like the Denons...

I mean the screw behind the pad, one of these four that hold everything with the headband. I did have a DT880s, but they don't really suit my tastes. I also had many of the mid-end headphones and IEMs and Denons are the only one that broke down.
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by soocha2 View Post

I currently have a W5000 and it provides a fine listening experience personally a better option than the Pro900. However, like many people had issues with the fitting, it's important that you get the right fit in order to get some bass in there. If you prefer the sound signature of the denons, I've heard W1000x is in par with the D7000s in the lower end.

What amp do you use with them? I tried them in Yodobashi in Tokyo and the fit was quite fine, I'd tell. Any opinions on the W1000X?
 

 

post #7 of 7

 

I have a W1000x on loan.Yes they surely are fine headphones by my book. It does have bass unlike the AD700. Not the excessive type like the M50 which is downright flabby. Not quite a match for the DX 1000 in either quantity or quality in this region I dare to say already. It´s the traditional AT mid bass oriented bass but with a bit of sub bass in there as well. Midrange and treble reminds me of the AD 700 plus the wood colouration.. Soundstage generally takes time for me but I already love this aspect of it. A bit more forward then the DX 1000 which you would expect from the housing but all but claustrophobic. However it doesn´t really isolate. Often I feel it almost rather accentuate background noises. They just use the wood to get the character it appears. DX 1000 surely is no master of isolation either but it do isolate some at least.

 

One thing is they demand different systems for my ears. DX 1000 I like best out of my solid state GHP to bring up the treble and detail level just a bit more. It congested on the DAC19 a bit much and really benefitted from my Ref 9 for the same reason.  For the W1000x I quickly reached for my tube amp to bring down the sharpness a notch. Female vocalists was still lacking body and floating freely in the air often high in the picture. Same with violins and flutes sounding a bit to thin and on the boarder of being painful. Dusted of the DAC19 in a whim of brilliance and not at all finding much things that distracts from the music. Dac19 with DSP 3 have longer decays and less "air" then Ref9 with DSP 5. Just what the W1000x needs I feel. Sure there is something in the lower treble or somewhere which is still on the limit but it stays within my ears tolerances most of the time and does what it´s supposed to as in "impress" I suppose.  

 

It´s more forward then the DX 1000 as well though I avoid listening to the DX 1000 to maximize my ear burning time on the W1000x. It does appear to be a great allrounder.

 

As for appearance, Comfort fit it´s a homerun victory versus the DX 1000. The headband design has been a hit and miss for me with AT but this is perfect for my head. It fits secure enough and the lack of center part just magnify the headband issue of the DX 1000. The 3d wing support has been a bit of hit and miss for me on the A900/AD700/W1000x but this fit my head like a glove. No clamping whatsoever yet stay secure. 

 

W1000x is also way more proportionate. DX 1000 is to big and bulky and looks more goofy then good.  You can tell this is the second revision :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Denons, but not Denons" a.k.a. what are the other nice closed headphones?