Related Forum Threads
- DT880 - Best Soundcard + Amp combo? Last post on 11/10/12 at 3:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Xonar Essence STX with Beyerdynamic DT880 (600 ohm) - Whats next? opamps? amp? Last post on 7/20/13 at 10:10am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- 2nd PRICE DROP: Beyerdynamic DT880 / DT990 OBO Last post on 9/2/13 at 8:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- I'm Trying To Decide On Best Setup For My Budget(4k) And Taste. Which would you buy? Last post on 8/23/14 at 5:17pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Do I need an Amp for the AKG K550? Last post on 3/14/13 at 9:52am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Design/durability: The earpiece seems very durable, although there are some light finish issues. The braided cable is one of the best in the industry: there are barely any microphonics, it feels...
Photo courtesy of Cozoy INTRODUCTION I recently tested out a couple battery-powered DAC/Amp (Cayin C5DAC and Shanling H3) solutions and the battery-free Calyx PaT DAC/Amp with the goal of...
They sound better than anything I've heard at this price point. I use these earbuds with my iPod Nano every day. The one thing that makes these things annoying as crap is the stupid cable that gets...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Inearz/Fisher Hearing for providing me with a review sample of their IE-P650 CIEM in exchange for my honest opinion. Manufacturer website:...
Creative Aurvana In-Ear 3 Plus Review Hello, my name is Oscar and this is my review of the Creative Aurvana In-Ear 3 Plus. Creative sent these to me as part of a tour and I did not pay for...
Using an External Amp with Xonar Essence ST and Volume Levels (noobie questions) - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 213/3/11 at 11:51am
Well, that makes a world of difference. X-Fi models differ more than expected, specially when each of the last 4 generations of Creative soundcards have had a "black sheep", which in the case of the first X-Fi gen is the XtremeAudio soundcard. But it goes back all the way to the first Audigy chipset, and even a model of the Live!.post #18 of 213/3/11 at 12:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD
With Windows XP yea but I found Windows 7 to start distort a lot sooner with the vol slider set to 100% there was very audible distortion for me but it didn't in XP. Not to mention even the Gary's amp got too loud for me if I didn't lower the vol a bit and even used the lowest gain on the amp and with the potentiometer on the amp at a very low setting it would produce static and the optimal for the amp was to have the potentiometer like between 50~75% so for me it was a requirement to lower the windows vol.
You've been editing most your posts, I've had to read them all over again
PA2V2's noise floor gets a bit high above 75%, but keep in mind that it performs better with at least medium gain values. This comes from both Gary and several users.
About you having distortion in Windows 7, it is related to the drivers, as even the older gen mods have some issues. If it wasn't for the EQ, I would recommend newer mods for your soundcard.post #19 of 213/3/11 at 1:03pm
Well I'm fine for the being as my XB500 doesn't require any amping and actually sounded worse with Gary's PA2V2 as it made it sound even warmer/smoother which is not a good thing for XB500 as it's already very warm/smooth sounding and I sold that amp and would buy an expensier more neutral amp in the future if I need one. I'm using kX Audio drivers for the Audigy 2 ZS tho and the distortion when vol slider is set too high mainly comes from the fact that kX Audio drivers have their own volume sliders NOT linked to the windows 7 vol slider in the taskbar so you have multiple vol sliders you can play around with. The thing is though I can keep the kX Audio master vol slider at 100% and set the windows 7 one lower and it won't distort at all but not the opposite.
Since I have multiple vol sliders and a good working EQ on top of that that can act like a vol booster if you boost the vol of the frequencies there's like enough volume for me to probably damage my hearing permanently whitin 2 secs if I maxed them all, I don't even want to imagine what adding a powerful amp on top of that would do, probably be able to hear the headphones outside my house even wouldn't suprise me. lol
It would probably get louder than even this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfzofaA6-DE
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 3/3/11 at 1:11pmpost #20 of 213/3/11 at 1:04pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by Roller
Usually, high quality enough DACs can easily have digital volume set to 100% to avoid sound degradation and not have clipping of any kind. For instance, the Titanium HD doesn't clip at 100% volume, as well as many other DACs. Only as a very, very, VERY last resort, should you consider lowering the digital volume, Gatsby.
Noted. It seems the answer wasn't as straightforward as I thought, but I have learned a lot. I will set the digital volume as high as it can get without clipping (hopefully 100%). Also, note I won't be boosting any frequencies with an EQ or sound effects or anything.
Thanks for your help guys!post #21 of 211/27/12 at 11:02am
I have an issue with the card (essence ST) related to the volume level... When I want to use my Denons D7000 connected to the headphone output WITH HARDWARE ASIO ON, the volume level is REALLY high so I cannot achieve 100% level in Jriver (=bitperfect) even if I decrease the soundcard's volume level to 1%... Is it because of D7000's low impedance (25 ohm)? Excluding that, the card works pretty well with them and the sound is really clear and neutral as it should be :-)
That means - if I use WASAPI or Kernel in Jriver, everything is fine... But with hardware ASIO, the volume rate is extremely high =/ Does anybody know anything related to that? =/
Edited by MHOE - 1/27/12 at 11:05am
- Using an External Amp with Xonar Essence ST and Volume Levels (noobie questions)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA 54 seconds ago
- › AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone 1 minute ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X3 USB problem. 1 minute ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 1 minute ago
- › A question about a Headset 1 minute ago
- › New iBasso Portable Amp/DAC: iBasso D14 "Bushmaster" 1 minute ago
- › Lotoo PAW 5000 now on Pre-Order From Hifiheadphones.co.uk 1 minute ago
- › WTS: K10 CIEM 2 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 minutes ago
- › OPPO HA-2 by ClieOS
- › Westone UM Pro 30 by Voyageur
- › Cozoy Aegis Portable 24/192 DAC/Amp by nmatheis
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by STRMfrmXMN
- › Inearz IE-P650 6xBA driver CIEM by twister6
- › Creative Aurvana In-Ear3 by Fidelity King
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by asymcon
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by Mediahound
- › Noble Audio Savant by daduy
- › Shure SRH840 by Double-A
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2