Related Forum Threads
- DT880 - Best Soundcard + Amp combo? Last post on 11/10/12 at 3:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Xonar Essence STX with Beyerdynamic DT880 (600 ohm) - Whats next? opamps? amp? Last post on 7/20/13 at 10:10am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- 2nd PRICE DROP: Beyerdynamic DT880 / DT990 OBO Last post on 9/2/13 at 8:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- I'm Trying To Decide On Best Setup For My Budget(4k) And Taste. Which would you buy? Last post on 8/23/14 at 5:17pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Do I need an Amp for the AKG K550? Last post on 3/14/13 at 9:52am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Inside the box Besides the headphone's being neatly folded inside of the box, they give you an manual and two cables. The first cable is an USB cable which is used to charge the battery inside of...
For larger images - please click individual photosINTRODUCTIONThis was the 2nd round of the HifiMan review tour of the two new DAPs in their portfolio. I posted the review of the SuperMini earlier...
Linking Mart/Agptek kindly sent me their latest Lossless Media player for review. External Features The first thing that strikes you about this player is its sheer weight and feeling of solidity...
Over the past few weeks I have tried out quite a few over-ear bluetooth headphones in a mad search for the ‘ultimate’ bluetooth headphone. I have tried the Bose QC35’s, V-Moda Crossfade Wireless...
This is a review of the Zorloo ZuperDAC DAC/amp combo. The Zorloo ZuperDAC was sendt to me for free from Zorloo in exchange for my honest review of it. I’d like to say THANK YOU to Zorloo for...
Using an External Amp with Xonar Essence ST and Volume Levels (noobie questions) - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 213/3/11 at 11:51am
Well, that makes a world of difference. X-Fi models differ more than expected, specially when each of the last 4 generations of Creative soundcards have had a "black sheep", which in the case of the first X-Fi gen is the XtremeAudio soundcard. But it goes back all the way to the first Audigy chipset, and even a model of the Live!.post #18 of 213/3/11 at 12:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD
With Windows XP yea but I found Windows 7 to start distort a lot sooner with the vol slider set to 100% there was very audible distortion for me but it didn't in XP. Not to mention even the Gary's amp got too loud for me if I didn't lower the vol a bit and even used the lowest gain on the amp and with the potentiometer on the amp at a very low setting it would produce static and the optimal for the amp was to have the potentiometer like between 50~75% so for me it was a requirement to lower the windows vol.
You've been editing most your posts, I've had to read them all over again
PA2V2's noise floor gets a bit high above 75%, but keep in mind that it performs better with at least medium gain values. This comes from both Gary and several users.
About you having distortion in Windows 7, it is related to the drivers, as even the older gen mods have some issues. If it wasn't for the EQ, I would recommend newer mods for your soundcard.post #19 of 213/3/11 at 1:03pm
Well I'm fine for the being as my XB500 doesn't require any amping and actually sounded worse with Gary's PA2V2 as it made it sound even warmer/smoother which is not a good thing for XB500 as it's already very warm/smooth sounding and I sold that amp and would buy an expensier more neutral amp in the future if I need one. I'm using kX Audio drivers for the Audigy 2 ZS tho and the distortion when vol slider is set too high mainly comes from the fact that kX Audio drivers have their own volume sliders NOT linked to the windows 7 vol slider in the taskbar so you have multiple vol sliders you can play around with. The thing is though I can keep the kX Audio master vol slider at 100% and set the windows 7 one lower and it won't distort at all but not the opposite.
Since I have multiple vol sliders and a good working EQ on top of that that can act like a vol booster if you boost the vol of the frequencies there's like enough volume for me to probably damage my hearing permanently whitin 2 secs if I maxed them all, I don't even want to imagine what adding a powerful amp on top of that would do, probably be able to hear the headphones outside my house even wouldn't suprise me. lol
It would probably get louder than even this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfzofaA6-DE
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 3/3/11 at 1:11pmpost #20 of 213/3/11 at 1:04pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by Roller
Usually, high quality enough DACs can easily have digital volume set to 100% to avoid sound degradation and not have clipping of any kind. For instance, the Titanium HD doesn't clip at 100% volume, as well as many other DACs. Only as a very, very, VERY last resort, should you consider lowering the digital volume, Gatsby.
Noted. It seems the answer wasn't as straightforward as I thought, but I have learned a lot. I will set the digital volume as high as it can get without clipping (hopefully 100%). Also, note I won't be boosting any frequencies with an EQ or sound effects or anything.
Thanks for your help guys!post #21 of 211/27/12 at 11:02am
I have an issue with the card (essence ST) related to the volume level... When I want to use my Denons D7000 connected to the headphone output WITH HARDWARE ASIO ON, the volume level is REALLY high so I cannot achieve 100% level in Jriver (=bitperfect) even if I decrease the soundcard's volume level to 1%... Is it because of D7000's low impedance (25 ohm)? Excluding that, the card works pretty well with them and the sound is really clear and neutral as it should be :-)
That means - if I use WASAPI or Kernel in Jriver, everything is fine... But with hardware ASIO, the volume rate is extremely high =/ Does anybody know anything related to that? =/
Edited by MHOE - 1/27/12 at 11:05am
- Using an External Amp with Xonar Essence ST and Volume Levels (noobie questions)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 25 seconds ago
- › New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation 55 seconds ago
- › Shanling M5 Impressions & Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Dita Audio Flagship - "The Dream" 3 minutes ago
- › sony pha1a 3 minutes ago
- › Obscure Chinese DAPs 4 minutes ago
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 6 minutes ago
- › XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions 7 minutes ago
- › Tennmak 7 minutes ago
- › Lotoo's new product: Lotoo Paw Pico, a 27g ultra-portable music... 9 minutes ago
- › Over Ear Headphone Shareme 4.1 Bluetooth Foldable Headsets with... by genclaymore
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by Brooko
- › AGPTek H01 HiFi MP3 Player with Volume Knob &2.4 Inch HD... by Peddler
- › V-MODA Crossfade Wireless Over-Ear Headphone - Rouge by Peddler
- › Zorloo ZuperDAC by peter123
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM In-Ear by Obery
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by Delance26
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by d8n0g
- › Bluedio T3 Plus (Turbine 3rd) Wireless Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo... by mark2410
- › Bluedio T3 (Turbine 3rd) Extra Bass Wireless Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo... by mark2410
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...