Related Forum Threads
- DT880 - Best Soundcard + Amp combo? Last post on 11/10/12 at 3:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Xonar Essence STX with Beyerdynamic DT880 (600 ohm) - Whats next? opamps? amp? Last post on 7/20/13 at 10:10am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- 2nd PRICE DROP: Beyerdynamic DT880 / DT990 OBO Last post on 9/2/13 at 8:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- I'm Trying To Decide On Best Setup For My Budget(4k) And Taste. Which would you buy? Last post on 12/5/12 at 2:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- Do I need an Amp for the AKG K550? Last post on 3/14/13 at 9:52am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/5/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
Packaging and build: The packaging is minimal and exquisitely so. The extra tips filters and manual are behind the felt coated foam holding the earphones. As I gingerly dislodged them from the...
Using an External Amp with Xonar Essence ST and Volume Levels (noobie questions) - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 213/3/11 at 11:51am
Well, that makes a world of difference. X-Fi models differ more than expected, specially when each of the last 4 generations of Creative soundcards have had a "black sheep", which in the case of the first X-Fi gen is the XtremeAudio soundcard. But it goes back all the way to the first Audigy chipset, and even a model of the Live!.post #18 of 213/3/11 at 12:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD
With Windows XP yea but I found Windows 7 to start distort a lot sooner with the vol slider set to 100% there was very audible distortion for me but it didn't in XP. Not to mention even the Gary's amp got too loud for me if I didn't lower the vol a bit and even used the lowest gain on the amp and with the potentiometer on the amp at a very low setting it would produce static and the optimal for the amp was to have the potentiometer like between 50~75% so for me it was a requirement to lower the windows vol.
You've been editing most your posts, I've had to read them all over again
PA2V2's noise floor gets a bit high above 75%, but keep in mind that it performs better with at least medium gain values. This comes from both Gary and several users.
About you having distortion in Windows 7, it is related to the drivers, as even the older gen mods have some issues. If it wasn't for the EQ, I would recommend newer mods for your soundcard.post #19 of 213/3/11 at 1:03pm
Well I'm fine for the being as my XB500 doesn't require any amping and actually sounded worse with Gary's PA2V2 as it made it sound even warmer/smoother which is not a good thing for XB500 as it's already very warm/smooth sounding and I sold that amp and would buy an expensier more neutral amp in the future if I need one. I'm using kX Audio drivers for the Audigy 2 ZS tho and the distortion when vol slider is set too high mainly comes from the fact that kX Audio drivers have their own volume sliders NOT linked to the windows 7 vol slider in the taskbar so you have multiple vol sliders you can play around with. The thing is though I can keep the kX Audio master vol slider at 100% and set the windows 7 one lower and it won't distort at all but not the opposite.
Since I have multiple vol sliders and a good working EQ on top of that that can act like a vol booster if you boost the vol of the frequencies there's like enough volume for me to probably damage my hearing permanently whitin 2 secs if I maxed them all, I don't even want to imagine what adding a powerful amp on top of that would do, probably be able to hear the headphones outside my house even wouldn't suprise me. lol
It would probably get louder than even this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfzofaA6-DE
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 3/3/11 at 1:11pmpost #20 of 213/3/11 at 1:04pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by Roller
Usually, high quality enough DACs can easily have digital volume set to 100% to avoid sound degradation and not have clipping of any kind. For instance, the Titanium HD doesn't clip at 100% volume, as well as many other DACs. Only as a very, very, VERY last resort, should you consider lowering the digital volume, Gatsby.
Noted. It seems the answer wasn't as straightforward as I thought, but I have learned a lot. I will set the digital volume as high as it can get without clipping (hopefully 100%). Also, note I won't be boosting any frequencies with an EQ or sound effects or anything.
Thanks for your help guys!post #21 of 211/27/12 at 11:02am
I have an issue with the card (essence ST) related to the volume level... When I want to use my Denons D7000 connected to the headphone output WITH HARDWARE ASIO ON, the volume level is REALLY high so I cannot achieve 100% level in Jriver (=bitperfect) even if I decrease the soundcard's volume level to 1%... Is it because of D7000's low impedance (25 ohm)? Excluding that, the card works pretty well with them and the sound is really clear and neutral as it should be :-)
That means - if I use WASAPI or Kernel in Jriver, everything is fine... But with hardware ASIO, the volume rate is extremely high =/ Does anybody know anything related to that? =/
Edited by MHOE - 1/27/12 at 11:05am
- Using an External Amp with Xonar Essence ST and Volume Levels (noobie questions)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Low End to High end DAP opinion , impression , appreciation and... 6 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 10 seconds ago
- › The Hobbit Movie Thread (and anything else related to Lord of the... 34 seconds ago
- › WESTONE 3 IMPRESSIONS AND APPRECIATION THREAD 46 seconds ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 54 seconds ago
- › $200-300 DAC/AMP for HE-400 1 minute ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 1 minute ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 1 minute ago
- › BEST ANIME OF 2013 ノ( ゜-゜ノ) 2 minutes ago
- › Sub $100 Bluetooth headphones that control Windows Media Player... 3 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe