Related Forum Threads
- DT880 - Best Soundcard + Amp combo? Last post on 11/10/12 at 3:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Xonar Essence STX with Beyerdynamic DT880 (600 ohm) - Whats next? opamps? amp? Last post on 7/20/13 at 10:10am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- 2nd PRICE DROP: Beyerdynamic DT880 / DT990 OBO Last post on 9/2/13 at 8:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- I'm Trying To Decide On Best Setup For My Budget(4k) And Taste. Which would you buy? Last post on 8/23/14 at 5:17pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Do I need an Amp for the AKG K550? Last post on 3/14/13 at 9:52am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Here a short first impressions review of the AH-MM400. After unpacking I was truly amazed. The build-quality is far beyond anything I ever held in my hands with this price tag on it. If anybody...
My Setup Tested with my Dell XPS 8700 desktop going optical out to a Yamaha RX-V365 amp (1/4 inch headphone out). I played various files (FLAC, MP3, M4A) at different bit rates using...
I try to keep my reviews simple and understandable so I don't go into a large amount of detail with each part. There are others here that do an excellent job at very in depth and detailed reviews....
I'm an on-ear open junkie, so this high praise says a lot about the PX95. A list of on-ear opens I have in various drawer: AKG K512, PX100-ii, PortaPros, Jays V-Jays, and some more that I can't...
Introduction This is a review of the Superlux hd 681 Evo, Version II. It is my first review on Head-Fi, so bear with me. The particular Evo under review here has roughly 40 hrs of burn-in time...
Using an External Amp with Xonar Essence ST and Volume Levels (noobie questions) - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 213/3/11 at 11:51am
Well, that makes a world of difference. X-Fi models differ more than expected, specially when each of the last 4 generations of Creative soundcards have had a "black sheep", which in the case of the first X-Fi gen is the XtremeAudio soundcard. But it goes back all the way to the first Audigy chipset, and even a model of the Live!.post #18 of 213/3/11 at 12:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD
With Windows XP yea but I found Windows 7 to start distort a lot sooner with the vol slider set to 100% there was very audible distortion for me but it didn't in XP. Not to mention even the Gary's amp got too loud for me if I didn't lower the vol a bit and even used the lowest gain on the amp and with the potentiometer on the amp at a very low setting it would produce static and the optimal for the amp was to have the potentiometer like between 50~75% so for me it was a requirement to lower the windows vol.
You've been editing most your posts, I've had to read them all over again
PA2V2's noise floor gets a bit high above 75%, but keep in mind that it performs better with at least medium gain values. This comes from both Gary and several users.
About you having distortion in Windows 7, it is related to the drivers, as even the older gen mods have some issues. If it wasn't for the EQ, I would recommend newer mods for your soundcard.post #19 of 213/3/11 at 1:03pm
Well I'm fine for the being as my XB500 doesn't require any amping and actually sounded worse with Gary's PA2V2 as it made it sound even warmer/smoother which is not a good thing for XB500 as it's already very warm/smooth sounding and I sold that amp and would buy an expensier more neutral amp in the future if I need one. I'm using kX Audio drivers for the Audigy 2 ZS tho and the distortion when vol slider is set too high mainly comes from the fact that kX Audio drivers have their own volume sliders NOT linked to the windows 7 vol slider in the taskbar so you have multiple vol sliders you can play around with. The thing is though I can keep the kX Audio master vol slider at 100% and set the windows 7 one lower and it won't distort at all but not the opposite.
Since I have multiple vol sliders and a good working EQ on top of that that can act like a vol booster if you boost the vol of the frequencies there's like enough volume for me to probably damage my hearing permanently whitin 2 secs if I maxed them all, I don't even want to imagine what adding a powerful amp on top of that would do, probably be able to hear the headphones outside my house even wouldn't suprise me. lol
It would probably get louder than even this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfzofaA6-DE
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 3/3/11 at 1:11pmpost #20 of 213/3/11 at 1:04pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by Roller
Usually, high quality enough DACs can easily have digital volume set to 100% to avoid sound degradation and not have clipping of any kind. For instance, the Titanium HD doesn't clip at 100% volume, as well as many other DACs. Only as a very, very, VERY last resort, should you consider lowering the digital volume, Gatsby.
Noted. It seems the answer wasn't as straightforward as I thought, but I have learned a lot. I will set the digital volume as high as it can get without clipping (hopefully 100%). Also, note I won't be boosting any frequencies with an EQ or sound effects or anything.
Thanks for your help guys!post #21 of 211/27/12 at 11:02am
I have an issue with the card (essence ST) related to the volume level... When I want to use my Denons D7000 connected to the headphone output WITH HARDWARE ASIO ON, the volume level is REALLY high so I cannot achieve 100% level in Jriver (=bitperfect) even if I decrease the soundcard's volume level to 1%... Is it because of D7000's low impedance (25 ohm)? Excluding that, the card works pretty well with them and the sound is really clear and neutral as it should be :-)
That means - if I use WASAPI or Kernel in Jriver, everything is fine... But with hardware ASIO, the volume rate is extremely high =/ Does anybody know anything related to that? =/
Edited by MHOE - 1/27/12 at 11:05am
- Using an External Amp with Xonar Essence ST and Volume Levels (noobie questions)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Schiit Owners Unite 25 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares 49 seconds ago
- › New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and... 2 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Playing FLAC on external hard drive WITHOUT Foobar/Windows OS? 3 minutes ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . . . . dap FW... 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Why most of the old recordings ae 24bit and the new are 16bit? 5 minutes ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 5 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by musikaladin
- › beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphones by rigodeni
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Zalithian
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by inline79
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by serman005
- › ecp audio Black Diamond by Schopenhauer
- › FiiO E12 Mont Blanc by jamato8
- › JVC HA-FX750 Wood Dome Unit Earphone by dnun8086
- › EarWerkz Supra by moedawg140
- › House of Marley - LEGEND ANC by White Lotus
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)