- 2 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones to keep in a time capsule Last post on 12/20/11 at 5:53am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- ATH-M50 achieved, time for good IEM's Last post on 8/8/11 at 11:47am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Hello and Thank You Last post on 7/25/11 at 9:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I buy the ATH M50 or M50s for running/working out? Last post on 7/18/11 at 7:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Aesthetic vs sound quality Last post on 4/27/11 at 9:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) is a company that I am very fond of. I absolutely loved their previous flagship, the TFZ Series 5 and praised it with very high word. It became one of my...
From the Doukaudio website: "Shenzheng Cavins Technology Co.,LTD has been established since 2014.. We are devoted to design and research of hi-end level of audio equipments under our own brand...
Brainwavz Intro ABOUT US Brainwavz provides high-end earphones specifically designed for high-quality sound and tailor-made to provide the user with a solution that can be used across a wide range...
Lindemann musicbook:10 DSD A Serious Common Denominator | PREVIOUS REVIEW | REVIEW INDEX | NEXT REVIEW | INTRODUCTION Angles of Approach There’s always been a certain connotation...
http://www.fidue.com/content/view?brand=fidue_en&item=81&core=news Fidue have been active for some years now and they seem to have release great quality products / earphones. Personally,...
ATH-M50 Open Mod - Page 4post #46 of 6110/10/12 at 11:20pmWhere did you get/buy your steel mesh speaker grill to cover the hole?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 6110/11/12 at 10:19amQuote:
It's not speaker grille; speaker grille is far too stiff to work with. You can buy simple steel mesh in sheets off of amazon's industrial category. You need to get thin mesh; if it's thick you won't be able to do anything with it. You'll need shears to cut it.
You can also make your own using wire that you have lying around. This is harder though, so keep that in mind.post #48 of 6110/11/12 at 10:35ampost #49 of 6110/11/12 at 11:37amQuote:
That works too, LOL.
Edited by takato14 - 8/28/13 at 9:03pmpost #50 of 6110/11/12 at 3:40pmpost #51 of 6110/11/12 at 3:48pmpost #52 of 6110/11/12 at 10:54pmpost #53 of 6110/12/12 at 10:03am
The plastic on the inside of the brushed aluminum ring should be cut away. Put the mesh inside. I haven't worked with the M50 so I don't know the size of the insides.post #54 of 611/2/13 at 1:48pmpost #55 of 614/27/13 at 9:56pm
Bump. Can either the OP or new guy with the silver grills post some pictures of how they did it? It would be a great contribution to the community! (Hopefully you have pictures, and don't have to disassemble the headphone again :( )post #56 of 614/29/13 at 10:37amQuote:
Hi, I'm one of the original guys who did this mod.
Actually, you can find some very fine meshes within kitchen utensils. -> the one I used was a a flat mesh you cover your pans with to prevent the hot grease from spitting everywhere.
As I am not a native speaker, I don't have a clue how to call this thingy~
As for a tutorial:
Step 1: get some tools, preferably a Powertool/Dremel
Step 2: work
Step 3: your done :D
seriously, don't take this personal guys, but I don't get you, like at all :D
-Just take the headphones apart, then route through the center of he cup until you almost touch the "metal-ring". beware, you'll slice through this ring like butter.
-Remove the ring, it's just glued in.
-file the last few mm by hand and make it look tidy.
-insert the mesh with glue onto where you have taken out "the ring"
-glue it in place and reassemble the cups.
oh, and you might wanna dampen some part of the inner cups, because you should take out the white flat dampening.
But the driver itself is a bit dampened on its own and they are quite sturdy and open -> ressonances shouldn't be worse then on a K701 (hahaha, seriously... they are just plastic)
sorry, I didn't responde until now... I kinda dislike head-fi due to thei Censoring and hyping everythig they get sponsored by. Also, all the Voodoo and Cable-Cult. And... Grado (Seriously they all are horrid, except for the JoeGrado HP1k which got discontinued.
If anyone doesn't feel like he/she is able to perform this mod,
I still have a pair of modded cups which are looking for a new owner
-> PM, I don't want much, but beware, I'm shipping from Sauerkrautland (Ger).post #57 of 618/8/13 at 1:21pmpost #58 of 617/20/14 at 1:23pmSo I decided to take the plunge and try this mod. Damn,I really need to brush up on my soldering skills. Long story short: much better soundstage at the expense of bass quantity. Highs are a bit harsh,tempered by re-inserting the original foam insert. Overall I am very happy I took the plunge. Feels like a proper open can but with the bass of a regular M50 (more or less). But be sure to put the original foam insert back in else the treble sounds way overpowered.post #59 of 617/20/14 at 1:58pmActually,I must say I am very happy with this mod. Brought new life to my M50s. Very enjoyable listening to them, especially with tracks that I used to consider closed or confined. Everything is now spacious and with a lot more breathing room. It was a bit of a mission to do but overall really easy. Yes, I was worried I'd mess up my cans but all turned out well. There is marginally less bass but it's worth it. Do it!
Edited by Jumba - 7/20/14 at 1:59pmpost #60 of 617/30/15 at 7:05pm
So I tried this but wanted the option of both open or closed back. I found a solution that works well and am so far very pleased with the sound! It really opened up the soundstage! Pictures and a full DIY guide of the project I made can be found here. I highly recommend this mod.
- ATH-M50 Open Mod
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 2 seconds ago
- › Obscure Chinese DAPs 53 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › The ZMF Omni name change contest and sale 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 1 minute ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 8 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 11 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 13 minutes ago
- › Techno, Electro & Underground Beats 13 minutes ago
- › Looking for Beyerdynamics parts 14 minutes ago
- › TFZ Balance 2M by ustinj
- › Nobsound NS-01E Mini Tube Headphone Amplifier Stereo HiFi Amp Audio... by crabdog
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by Wokei
- › Lindemann musicbook:10 DSD by thatonenoob
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by DynamikeB
- › Beyerdynamic T5p by Army-Firedawg
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by Johannus
- › LZ-A4 by peter123
- › Etymotic ER4XR by leaky74
- › Etymotic ER4SR by leaky74
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear