- 2 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones to keep in a time capsule Last post on 12/20/11 at 5:53am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- ATH-M50 achieved, time for good IEM's Last post on 8/8/11 at 11:47am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Hello and Thank You Last post on 7/25/11 at 9:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I buy the ATH M50 or M50s for running/working out? Last post on 7/18/11 at 7:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Aesthetic vs sound quality Last post on 4/27/11 at 9:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
So this is my first day impression of the Emotiva Stealth 8 speakers and I will be updating every week untilll I have come to the conclusion that I've finally made it through the burn-in process....
Intro Well, after almost two years on Head-fi, I feel it is time to put my words out there and write my first review. In doing so, I feel it is only right that it be about the newly released...
OK This is my first headphone review so please be easy. I am not much on technical terms and such. I know what I like but is difficult to come to words at times. A little about me: Love most...
The Start This review is part of the Official Sennheiser URBANITE Australian review tour organized by White Lotus and made possible by Sennheiser Australia . Many thanks to White Lotus for his...
These are also known as the monoprice 8323's. I have these for nearly 2 years. I bought them a few months after my faithfull 8323's. Pros - for the price they deliver the highest quality...
ATH-M50 Open Mod - Page 4post #46 of 5910/10/12 at 11:20pmWhere did you get/buy your steel mesh speaker grill to cover the hole?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 5910/11/12 at 10:19amQuote:
It's not speaker grille; speaker grille is far too stiff to work with. You can buy simple steel mesh in sheets off of amazon's industrial category. You need to get thin mesh; if it's thick you won't be able to do anything with it. You'll need shears to cut it.
You can also make your own using wire that you have lying around. This is harder though, so keep that in mind.post #48 of 5910/11/12 at 10:35ampost #49 of 5910/11/12 at 11:37amQuote:
That works too, LOL.
Edited by takato14 - 8/28/13 at 9:03pmpost #50 of 5910/11/12 at 3:40pmpost #51 of 5910/11/12 at 3:48pmpost #52 of 5910/11/12 at 10:54pmpost #53 of 5910/12/12 at 10:03am
The plastic on the inside of the brushed aluminum ring should be cut away. Put the mesh inside. I haven't worked with the M50 so I don't know the size of the insides.post #54 of 591/2/13 at 1:48pmpost #55 of 594/27/13 at 9:56pm
Bump. Can either the OP or new guy with the silver grills post some pictures of how they did it? It would be a great contribution to the community! (Hopefully you have pictures, and don't have to disassemble the headphone again :( )post #56 of 594/29/13 at 10:37amQuote:
Hi, I'm one of the original guys who did this mod.
Actually, you can find some very fine meshes within kitchen utensils. -> the one I used was a a flat mesh you cover your pans with to prevent the hot grease from spitting everywhere.
As I am not a native speaker, I don't have a clue how to call this thingy~
As for a tutorial:
Step 1: get some tools, preferably a Powertool/Dremel
Step 2: work
Step 3: your done :D
seriously, don't take this personal guys, but I don't get you, like at all :D
-Just take the headphones apart, then route through the center of he cup until you almost touch the "metal-ring". beware, you'll slice through this ring like butter.
-Remove the ring, it's just glued in.
-file the last few mm by hand and make it look tidy.
-insert the mesh with glue onto where you have taken out "the ring"
-glue it in place and reassemble the cups.
oh, and you might wanna dampen some part of the inner cups, because you should take out the white flat dampening.
But the driver itself is a bit dampened on its own and they are quite sturdy and open -> ressonances shouldn't be worse then on a K701 (hahaha, seriously... they are just plastic)
sorry, I didn't responde until now... I kinda dislike head-fi due to thei Censoring and hyping everythig they get sponsored by. Also, all the Voodoo and Cable-Cult. And... Grado (Seriously they all are horrid, except for the JoeGrado HP1k which got discontinued.
If anyone doesn't feel like he/she is able to perform this mod,
I still have a pair of modded cups which are looking for a new owner
-> PM, I don't want much, but beware, I'm shipping from Sauerkrautland (Ger).post #57 of 598/8/13 at 1:21pmpost #58 of 597/20/14 at 1:23pmSo I decided to take the plunge and try this mod. Damn,I really need to brush up on my soldering skills. Long story short: much better soundstage at the expense of bass quantity. Highs are a bit harsh,tempered by re-inserting the original foam insert. Overall I am very happy I took the plunge. Feels like a proper open can but with the bass of a regular M50 (more or less). But be sure to put the original foam insert back in else the treble sounds way overpowered.post #59 of 597/20/14 at 1:58pmActually,I must say I am very happy with this mod. Brought new life to my M50s. Very enjoyable listening to them, especially with tracks that I used to consider closed or confined. Everything is now spacious and with a lot more breathing room. It was a bit of a mission to do but overall really easy. Yes, I was worried I'd mess up my cans but all turned out well. There is marginally less bass but it's worth it. Do it!
Edited by Jumba - 7/20/14 at 1:59pm
- ATH-M50 Open Mod
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › looking for mp3 player and have no clue 6 seconds ago
- › Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS! 1 minute ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 1 minute ago
- › Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning] 1 minute ago
- › Grado e Series 2 minutes ago
- › FS: Head-fi set Hifiman HE-400 and Schiit Modi&Magni 3 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 5 minutes ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 2.0 6 minutes ago
- › Original Song Written by Me, Please Have a Listen! 8 minutes ago
- › Emotiva Stealth Eight by Audiobahn808
- › AKG K7XX by Change is Good
- › Symphonized Wraith Premium Genuine Wood Headphones by cmdrmcgarrett
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Black Over-Ear Headphones by Dogmatrix
- › Monoprice MHP-839 by engineerd3d
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by D-TECH
- › Audio-Technica AIR Dynamic Headphones ATH-AD900X by NineRedTools
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by rjm003
- › Miles Davis Trumpet High Performance In-ear Headphones by Merfolk
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Niyologist
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3