- 2 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones to keep in a time capsule Last post on 12/20/11 at 5:53am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- ATH-M50 achieved, time for good IEM's Last post on 8/8/11 at 11:47am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Hello and Thank You Last post on 7/25/11 at 9:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I buy the ATH M50 or M50s for running/working out? Last post on 7/18/11 at 7:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Aesthetic vs sound quality Last post on 4/27/11 at 9:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I had these a while back and found them to be pretty good alas they did have a couple things that spoiled them. Comfort: Finding the best earbuds took a bit of time. Although once you did,...
DUNU TITAN 1 - QUICK REVIEW photos taken from the internet Specifications Driver: 13mm Titanium Diaphragm Dynamic Driver Impedance:16Ω Sensitivity: 90+- 2dB Reproduction Frequency:...
At the time this review was written, the MKLL M-1 was on sale for $79.00 USD on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to a listing of their product at the time of the...
My review is based on the loaner pair that Oppo sent to me as part of their PM3 loaner program. My gratitude to Oppo for giving me this opportunity to demo their product. Oppo is known for...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION My introduction to DUNU Topsound (18 months ago) was with their triple hybrid DN-1000,...
ATH-M50 Open Mod - Page 4post #46 of 5910/10/12 at 11:20pmWhere did you get/buy your steel mesh speaker grill to cover the hole?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 5910/11/12 at 10:19amQuote:
It's not speaker grille; speaker grille is far too stiff to work with. You can buy simple steel mesh in sheets off of amazon's industrial category. You need to get thin mesh; if it's thick you won't be able to do anything with it. You'll need shears to cut it.
You can also make your own using wire that you have lying around. This is harder though, so keep that in mind.post #48 of 5910/11/12 at 10:35ampost #49 of 5910/11/12 at 11:37amQuote:
That works too, LOL.
Edited by takato14 - 8/28/13 at 9:03pmpost #50 of 5910/11/12 at 3:40pmpost #51 of 5910/11/12 at 3:48pmpost #52 of 5910/11/12 at 10:54pmpost #53 of 5910/12/12 at 10:03am
The plastic on the inside of the brushed aluminum ring should be cut away. Put the mesh inside. I haven't worked with the M50 so I don't know the size of the insides.post #54 of 591/2/13 at 1:48pmpost #55 of 594/27/13 at 9:56pm
Bump. Can either the OP or new guy with the silver grills post some pictures of how they did it? It would be a great contribution to the community! (Hopefully you have pictures, and don't have to disassemble the headphone again :( )post #56 of 594/29/13 at 10:37amQuote:
Hi, I'm one of the original guys who did this mod.
Actually, you can find some very fine meshes within kitchen utensils. -> the one I used was a a flat mesh you cover your pans with to prevent the hot grease from spitting everywhere.
As I am not a native speaker, I don't have a clue how to call this thingy~
As for a tutorial:
Step 1: get some tools, preferably a Powertool/Dremel
Step 2: work
Step 3: your done :D
seriously, don't take this personal guys, but I don't get you, like at all :D
-Just take the headphones apart, then route through the center of he cup until you almost touch the "metal-ring". beware, you'll slice through this ring like butter.
-Remove the ring, it's just glued in.
-file the last few mm by hand and make it look tidy.
-insert the mesh with glue onto where you have taken out "the ring"
-glue it in place and reassemble the cups.
oh, and you might wanna dampen some part of the inner cups, because you should take out the white flat dampening.
But the driver itself is a bit dampened on its own and they are quite sturdy and open -> ressonances shouldn't be worse then on a K701 (hahaha, seriously... they are just plastic)
sorry, I didn't responde until now... I kinda dislike head-fi due to thei Censoring and hyping everythig they get sponsored by. Also, all the Voodoo and Cable-Cult. And... Grado (Seriously they all are horrid, except for the JoeGrado HP1k which got discontinued.
If anyone doesn't feel like he/she is able to perform this mod,
I still have a pair of modded cups which are looking for a new owner
-> PM, I don't want much, but beware, I'm shipping from Sauerkrautland (Ger).post #57 of 598/8/13 at 1:21pmpost #58 of 597/20/14 at 1:23pmSo I decided to take the plunge and try this mod. Damn,I really need to brush up on my soldering skills. Long story short: much better soundstage at the expense of bass quantity. Highs are a bit harsh,tempered by re-inserting the original foam insert. Overall I am very happy I took the plunge. Feels like a proper open can but with the bass of a regular M50 (more or less). But be sure to put the original foam insert back in else the treble sounds way overpowered.post #59 of 597/20/14 at 1:58pmActually,I must say I am very happy with this mod. Brought new life to my M50s. Very enjoyable listening to them, especially with tracks that I used to consider closed or confined. Everything is now spacious and with a lot more breathing room. It was a bit of a mission to do but overall really easy. Yes, I was worried I'd mess up my cans but all turned out well. There is marginally less bass but it's worth it. Do it!
Edited by Jumba - 7/20/14 at 1:59pm
- ATH-M50 Open Mod
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 37 seconds ago
- › Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here! 42 seconds ago
- › What is better as sound quality ? D1 vs ZXR 1 minute ago
- › WAV Sounds The Best (To Me) 1 minute ago
- › [WTB] Denon AH-D2000 1 minute ago
- › DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution? 1 minute ago
- › Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG +... 2 minutes ago
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths 2 minutes ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 3 minutes ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser CX 880 Premium Ear Canal Headphones by interpolate
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Paulus XII
- › MKLL M-1 in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › OPPO PM-3 by Za Warudo
- › DUNU DN-2000J by Brooko
- › Null Audio Vitesse Copper Cable by MikePortnoy
- › Aune B1 by Cotnijoe
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by WifiWizard
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by rigodeni
- › RHA MA750 by fableofgod
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2