- 2 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones to keep in a time capsule Last post on 12/20/11 at 5:53am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- ATH-M50 achieved, time for good IEM's Last post on 8/8/11 at 11:47am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Hello and Thank You Last post on 7/25/11 at 9:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I buy the ATH M50 or M50s for running/working out? Last post on 7/18/11 at 7:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Aesthetic vs sound quality Last post on 4/27/11 at 9:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
At this point of time, iFi Audio shouldn’t need much introduction at all. The British company is the more budget oriented sister brand of the prestige Abbingdon Music Research and have made a name...
For the complete review click on the IMHO Tech Blog link.
So i bought the pistons 3 from Ibuygou.com a week ago. The unboxing experience was stellar just like the older version, I was slightly disappointed that the chocolate smell was not present. Oh...
Too lazy to write the full review yet LOL. Just posting this out first :)
This is my first audiophile grade headphone and I truly believe that this is a brilliant introduction to how awesome music can sound! I live is South Africa, a country that is renowned for...
ATH-M50 Open Mod - Page 4post #46 of 5910/10/12 at 11:20pmWhere did you get/buy your steel mesh speaker grill to cover the hole?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 5910/11/12 at 10:19amQuote:
It's not speaker grille; speaker grille is far too stiff to work with. You can buy simple steel mesh in sheets off of amazon's industrial category. You need to get thin mesh; if it's thick you won't be able to do anything with it. You'll need shears to cut it.
You can also make your own using wire that you have lying around. This is harder though, so keep that in mind.post #48 of 5910/11/12 at 10:35ampost #49 of 5910/11/12 at 11:37amQuote:
That works too, LOL.
Edited by takato14 - 8/28/13 at 9:03pmpost #50 of 5910/11/12 at 3:40pmpost #51 of 5910/11/12 at 3:48pmpost #52 of 5910/11/12 at 10:54pmpost #53 of 5910/12/12 at 10:03am
The plastic on the inside of the brushed aluminum ring should be cut away. Put the mesh inside. I haven't worked with the M50 so I don't know the size of the insides.post #54 of 591/2/13 at 1:48pmpost #55 of 594/27/13 at 9:56pm
Bump. Can either the OP or new guy with the silver grills post some pictures of how they did it? It would be a great contribution to the community! (Hopefully you have pictures, and don't have to disassemble the headphone again :( )post #56 of 594/29/13 at 10:37amQuote:
Hi, I'm one of the original guys who did this mod.
Actually, you can find some very fine meshes within kitchen utensils. -> the one I used was a a flat mesh you cover your pans with to prevent the hot grease from spitting everywhere.
As I am not a native speaker, I don't have a clue how to call this thingy~
As for a tutorial:
Step 1: get some tools, preferably a Powertool/Dremel
Step 2: work
Step 3: your done :D
seriously, don't take this personal guys, but I don't get you, like at all :D
-Just take the headphones apart, then route through the center of he cup until you almost touch the "metal-ring". beware, you'll slice through this ring like butter.
-Remove the ring, it's just glued in.
-file the last few mm by hand and make it look tidy.
-insert the mesh with glue onto where you have taken out "the ring"
-glue it in place and reassemble the cups.
oh, and you might wanna dampen some part of the inner cups, because you should take out the white flat dampening.
But the driver itself is a bit dampened on its own and they are quite sturdy and open -> ressonances shouldn't be worse then on a K701 (hahaha, seriously... they are just plastic)
sorry, I didn't responde until now... I kinda dislike head-fi due to thei Censoring and hyping everythig they get sponsored by. Also, all the Voodoo and Cable-Cult. And... Grado (Seriously they all are horrid, except for the JoeGrado HP1k which got discontinued.
If anyone doesn't feel like he/she is able to perform this mod,
I still have a pair of modded cups which are looking for a new owner
-> PM, I don't want much, but beware, I'm shipping from Sauerkrautland (Ger).post #57 of 598/8/13 at 1:21pmpost #58 of 597/20/14 at 1:23pmSo I decided to take the plunge and try this mod. Damn,I really need to brush up on my soldering skills. Long story short: much better soundstage at the expense of bass quantity. Highs are a bit harsh,tempered by re-inserting the original foam insert. Overall I am very happy I took the plunge. Feels like a proper open can but with the bass of a regular M50 (more or less). But be sure to put the original foam insert back in else the treble sounds way overpowered.post #59 of 597/20/14 at 1:58pmActually,I must say I am very happy with this mod. Brought new life to my M50s. Very enjoyable listening to them, especially with tracks that I used to consider closed or confined. Everything is now spacious and with a lot more breathing room. It was a bit of a mission to do but overall really easy. Yes, I was worried I'd mess up my cans but all turned out well. There is marginally less bass but it's worth it. Do it!
Edited by Jumba - 7/20/14 at 1:59pm
- ATH-M50 Open Mod
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 6 seconds ago
- › AK 240 Stainless Steel Edition is The Best AK 240 Ever Made like... 12 seconds ago
- › OPPO PM-1 / PM-2 Loaner Program 20 seconds ago
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Musician's In-Ear Monitors 26 seconds ago
- › Cowon Plenue M 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Looking for a DAC to replace Xonar Essence STX 1 minute ago
- › Questyle QP1 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 3 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by ClieOS
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by Tzar
- › Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 in-ear headphones by MakeTotlDestroy
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by Sentinei
- › thinksound on1 Supra-Aural On-Ear Monitor Wooden Headphone by biggysmalls
- › TDK IE800 by Arvan
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by sarora
- › VSONIC VSD 2S by Arvan
- › Master & Dynamic MH30 On Ear Headphone - Black by acain
- › SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black by kite7
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2