- 2 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones to keep in a time capsule Last post on 12/20/11 at 5:53am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- ATH-M50 achieved, time for good IEM's Last post on 8/8/11 at 11:47am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Hello and Thank You Last post on 7/25/11 at 9:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I buy the ATH M50 or M50s for running/working out? Last post on 7/18/11 at 7:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Aesthetic vs sound quality Last post on 4/27/11 at 9:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Great quality to be expected of a Fiio product, the cable works as intended and feels nice in the hand. There`s no strain relief on the 30pin connector, perhaps it`s to increase pliability?...
Feliks Audio Espressivo A Foot Tappin', Head Shakin' Tube Amp | PREVIOUS REVIEW | REVIEW INDEX | NEXT REVIEW | INTRODUCTION A Diamond In The Rough Feliks Audio is a family company...
Intro I've been searching for a pair of headphones to use on commutes for years. I started with the Skullcandy Hesh in middle school which broke after several months. After that i came across...
The ONKYO A800 is a very impressive headphone indeed, and I believe it has the potential to really earn a following among headphone enthusiasts. To be sure, we are in an...
Last year I was so excited buying the Walkman Zx2 and Z7 from Sony, and I was gradually enjoying the better of real quality audio when I am stepping back into the portable world. I feel that now...
ATH-M50 Open Mod - Page 4post #46 of 6110/10/12 at 11:20pmWhere did you get/buy your steel mesh speaker grill to cover the hole?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 6110/11/12 at 10:19amQuote:
It's not speaker grille; speaker grille is far too stiff to work with. You can buy simple steel mesh in sheets off of amazon's industrial category. You need to get thin mesh; if it's thick you won't be able to do anything with it. You'll need shears to cut it.
You can also make your own using wire that you have lying around. This is harder though, so keep that in mind.post #48 of 6110/11/12 at 10:35ampost #49 of 6110/11/12 at 11:37amQuote:
That works too, LOL.
Edited by takato14 - 8/28/13 at 9:03pmpost #50 of 6110/11/12 at 3:40pmpost #51 of 6110/11/12 at 3:48pmpost #52 of 6110/11/12 at 10:54pmpost #53 of 6110/12/12 at 10:03am
The plastic on the inside of the brushed aluminum ring should be cut away. Put the mesh inside. I haven't worked with the M50 so I don't know the size of the insides.post #54 of 611/2/13 at 1:48pmpost #55 of 614/27/13 at 9:56pm
Bump. Can either the OP or new guy with the silver grills post some pictures of how they did it? It would be a great contribution to the community! (Hopefully you have pictures, and don't have to disassemble the headphone again :( )post #56 of 614/29/13 at 10:37amQuote:
Hi, I'm one of the original guys who did this mod.
Actually, you can find some very fine meshes within kitchen utensils. -> the one I used was a a flat mesh you cover your pans with to prevent the hot grease from spitting everywhere.
As I am not a native speaker, I don't have a clue how to call this thingy~
As for a tutorial:
Step 1: get some tools, preferably a Powertool/Dremel
Step 2: work
Step 3: your done :D
seriously, don't take this personal guys, but I don't get you, like at all :D
-Just take the headphones apart, then route through the center of he cup until you almost touch the "metal-ring". beware, you'll slice through this ring like butter.
-Remove the ring, it's just glued in.
-file the last few mm by hand and make it look tidy.
-insert the mesh with glue onto where you have taken out "the ring"
-glue it in place and reassemble the cups.
oh, and you might wanna dampen some part of the inner cups, because you should take out the white flat dampening.
But the driver itself is a bit dampened on its own and they are quite sturdy and open -> ressonances shouldn't be worse then on a K701 (hahaha, seriously... they are just plastic)
sorry, I didn't responde until now... I kinda dislike head-fi due to thei Censoring and hyping everythig they get sponsored by. Also, all the Voodoo and Cable-Cult. And... Grado (Seriously they all are horrid, except for the JoeGrado HP1k which got discontinued.
If anyone doesn't feel like he/she is able to perform this mod,
I still have a pair of modded cups which are looking for a new owner
-> PM, I don't want much, but beware, I'm shipping from Sauerkrautland (Ger).post #57 of 618/8/13 at 1:21pmpost #58 of 617/20/14 at 1:23pmSo I decided to take the plunge and try this mod. Damn,I really need to brush up on my soldering skills. Long story short: much better soundstage at the expense of bass quantity. Highs are a bit harsh,tempered by re-inserting the original foam insert. Overall I am very happy I took the plunge. Feels like a proper open can but with the bass of a regular M50 (more or less). But be sure to put the original foam insert back in else the treble sounds way overpowered.post #59 of 617/20/14 at 1:58pmActually,I must say I am very happy with this mod. Brought new life to my M50s. Very enjoyable listening to them, especially with tracks that I used to consider closed or confined. Everything is now spacious and with a lot more breathing room. It was a bit of a mission to do but overall really easy. Yes, I was worried I'd mess up my cans but all turned out well. There is marginally less bass but it's worth it. Do it!
Edited by Jumba - 7/20/14 at 1:59pmpost #60 of 617/30/15 at 7:05pm
So I tried this but wanted the option of both open or closed back. I found a solution that works well and am so far very pleased with the sound! It really opened up the soundstage! Pictures and a full DIY guide of the project I made can be found here. I highly recommend this mod.
- ATH-M50 Open Mod
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Am I asking for too much? 51 seconds ago
- › AKG K553 Pro vs. AKG K550 MK II (and thoughts on the AKG K550 "MK I") 54 seconds ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions 57 seconds ago
- › Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 1 minute ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 1 minute ago
- › Shozy Zero: $50 IEMs with real rosewood, taking on the $500 big boys! 1 minute ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Launch (With Impressions) - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary) 2 minutes ago
- › Rising cost of "audiophile" equipment and importance of bias/blind... 3 minutes ago
- › Get more out of my es10's 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by istirsin
- › ONKYO A800 50mm Open Back Headphone by Sonic Defender
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by Whitigir
- › Brainwavz Jive by Feilong4
- › AKG K7XX by Aornic
- › SYLLABLE D900S Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Waterproof... by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO E12A Mont Blanc Portable Headphone Amplifier for IEM Special... by Tayyab Pirzada
- › FiiO M3 - Digital Portable Music Player by Levistras
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...