- 2 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones to keep in a time capsule Last post on 12/20/11 at 5:53am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- ATH-M50 achieved, time for good IEM's Last post on 8/8/11 at 11:47am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Hello and Thank You Last post on 7/25/11 at 9:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I buy the ATH M50 or M50s for running/working out? Last post on 7/18/11 at 7:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Aesthetic vs sound quality Last post on 4/27/11 at 9:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
My current set. My favorite and my private oasis. These beauties will cut out most if not all ambient noise like while driving in a car and household noise when the music is flowing. I became a fan...
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
ATH-M50 Open Mod - Page 4post #46 of 5710/10/12 at 11:20pmWhere did you get/buy your steel mesh speaker grill to cover the hole?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 5710/11/12 at 10:19amQuote:
It's not speaker grille; speaker grille is far too stiff to work with. You can buy simple steel mesh in sheets off of amazon's industrial category. You need to get thin mesh; if it's thick you won't be able to do anything with it. You'll need shears to cut it.
You can also make your own using wire that you have lying around. This is harder though, so keep that in mind.post #48 of 5710/11/12 at 10:35ampost #49 of 5710/11/12 at 11:37amQuote:
That works too, LOL.
Edited by takato14 - 8/28/13 at 9:03pmpost #50 of 5710/11/12 at 3:40pmpost #51 of 5710/11/12 at 3:48pmpost #52 of 5710/11/12 at 10:54pmpost #53 of 5710/12/12 at 10:03am
The plastic on the inside of the brushed aluminum ring should be cut away. Put the mesh inside. I haven't worked with the M50 so I don't know the size of the insides.post #54 of 571/2/13 at 1:48pmpost #55 of 574/27/13 at 9:56pm
Bump. Can either the OP or new guy with the silver grills post some pictures of how they did it? It would be a great contribution to the community! (Hopefully you have pictures, and don't have to disassemble the headphone again :( )post #56 of 574/29/13 at 10:37amQuote:
Hi, I'm one of the original guys who did this mod.
Actually, you can find some very fine meshes within kitchen utensils. -> the one I used was a a flat mesh you cover your pans with to prevent the hot grease from spitting everywhere.
As I am not a native speaker, I don't have a clue how to call this thingy~
As for a tutorial:
Step 1: get some tools, preferably a Powertool/Dremel
Step 2: work
Step 3: your done :D
seriously, don't take this personal guys, but I don't get you, like at all :D
-Just take the headphones apart, then route through the center of he cup until you almost touch the "metal-ring". beware, you'll slice through this ring like butter.
-Remove the ring, it's just glued in.
-file the last few mm by hand and make it look tidy.
-insert the mesh with glue onto where you have taken out "the ring"
-glue it in place and reassemble the cups.
oh, and you might wanna dampen some part of the inner cups, because you should take out the white flat dampening.
But the driver itself is a bit dampened on its own and they are quite sturdy and open -> ressonances shouldn't be worse then on a K701 (hahaha, seriously... they are just plastic)
sorry, I didn't responde until now... I kinda dislike head-fi due to thei Censoring and hyping everythig they get sponsored by. Also, all the Voodoo and Cable-Cult. And... Grado (Seriously they all are horrid, except for the JoeGrado HP1k which got discontinued.
If anyone doesn't feel like he/she is able to perform this mod,
I still have a pair of modded cups which are looking for a new owner
-> PM, I don't want much, but beware, I'm shipping from Sauerkrautland (Ger).
- ATH-M50 Open Mod
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 12 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ Appreciation thread. Opinions, reviews,... 13 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 16 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 46 seconds ago
- › Which DT770 version for FiiO E7? 53 seconds ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 57 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread** 4 minutes ago
- › HARBETH P3ESR Special Edition 6 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by echo1284
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude