- 2 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones to keep in a time capsule Last post on 12/20/11 at 5:53am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- ATH-M50 achieved, time for good IEM's Last post on 8/8/11 at 11:47am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Hello and Thank You Last post on 7/25/11 at 9:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Should I buy the ATH M50 or M50s for running/working out? Last post on 7/18/11 at 7:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Aesthetic vs sound quality Last post on 4/27/11 at 9:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I realize it is a bit of apples vs oranges, but I will compare these to the Sennheiser HD 600 sound, since I sometimes use those to mix recordings with, and many know their sound. Assuming good...
My Amazon Review: I've owned many pieces of high end home audio over the years. Brands like Dali, Audio Research, Krell, Melos, and others. I expect a lot from my gear. In this case, one of the...
About me: I am not an audiology, sound expert or anything professional about audio of short. I am simply just a consumer with a lot of love for musics for years....I purchased this pair, and Would...
Before the Lyr 2 I owned two hybrid headphone amplifiers: the Hifiman EF2A, and the Maverick Audio A1. What both those entry level amplifiers lacked was the power and sonic dynamics to drive my...
I've spent about a month with Cayin N6 DAP, and I'd like to share my thoughts about it. There is few really great reviews of this DAP, so I won't repeat them again, describing it's box,...
ATH-M50 Open Mod - Page 4post #46 of 5910/10/12 at 11:20pmWhere did you get/buy your steel mesh speaker grill to cover the hole?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 5910/11/12 at 10:19amQuote:
It's not speaker grille; speaker grille is far too stiff to work with. You can buy simple steel mesh in sheets off of amazon's industrial category. You need to get thin mesh; if it's thick you won't be able to do anything with it. You'll need shears to cut it.
You can also make your own using wire that you have lying around. This is harder though, so keep that in mind.post #48 of 5910/11/12 at 10:35ampost #49 of 5910/11/12 at 11:37amQuote:
That works too, LOL.
Edited by takato14 - 8/28/13 at 9:03pmpost #50 of 5910/11/12 at 3:40pmpost #51 of 5910/11/12 at 3:48pmpost #52 of 5910/11/12 at 10:54pmpost #53 of 5910/12/12 at 10:03am
The plastic on the inside of the brushed aluminum ring should be cut away. Put the mesh inside. I haven't worked with the M50 so I don't know the size of the insides.post #54 of 591/2/13 at 1:48pmpost #55 of 594/27/13 at 9:56pm
Bump. Can either the OP or new guy with the silver grills post some pictures of how they did it? It would be a great contribution to the community! (Hopefully you have pictures, and don't have to disassemble the headphone again :( )post #56 of 594/29/13 at 10:37amQuote:
Hi, I'm one of the original guys who did this mod.
Actually, you can find some very fine meshes within kitchen utensils. -> the one I used was a a flat mesh you cover your pans with to prevent the hot grease from spitting everywhere.
As I am not a native speaker, I don't have a clue how to call this thingy~
As for a tutorial:
Step 1: get some tools, preferably a Powertool/Dremel
Step 2: work
Step 3: your done :D
seriously, don't take this personal guys, but I don't get you, like at all :D
-Just take the headphones apart, then route through the center of he cup until you almost touch the "metal-ring". beware, you'll slice through this ring like butter.
-Remove the ring, it's just glued in.
-file the last few mm by hand and make it look tidy.
-insert the mesh with glue onto where you have taken out "the ring"
-glue it in place and reassemble the cups.
oh, and you might wanna dampen some part of the inner cups, because you should take out the white flat dampening.
But the driver itself is a bit dampened on its own and they are quite sturdy and open -> ressonances shouldn't be worse then on a K701 (hahaha, seriously... they are just plastic)
sorry, I didn't responde until now... I kinda dislike head-fi due to thei Censoring and hyping everythig they get sponsored by. Also, all the Voodoo and Cable-Cult. And... Grado (Seriously they all are horrid, except for the JoeGrado HP1k which got discontinued.
If anyone doesn't feel like he/she is able to perform this mod,
I still have a pair of modded cups which are looking for a new owner
-> PM, I don't want much, but beware, I'm shipping from Sauerkrautland (Ger).post #57 of 598/8/13 at 1:21pmpost #58 of 597/20/14 at 1:23pmSo I decided to take the plunge and try this mod. Damn,I really need to brush up on my soldering skills. Long story short: much better soundstage at the expense of bass quantity. Highs are a bit harsh,tempered by re-inserting the original foam insert. Overall I am very happy I took the plunge. Feels like a proper open can but with the bass of a regular M50 (more or less). But be sure to put the original foam insert back in else the treble sounds way overpowered.post #59 of 597/20/14 at 1:58pmActually,I must say I am very happy with this mod. Brought new life to my M50s. Very enjoyable listening to them, especially with tracks that I used to consider closed or confined. Everything is now spacious and with a lot more breathing room. It was a bit of a mission to do but overall really easy. Yes, I was worried I'd mess up my cans but all turned out well. There is marginally less bass but it's worth it. Do it!
Edited by Jumba - 7/20/14 at 1:59pm
- ATH-M50 Open Mod
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › 2015 - Sony PHA - 1A Portable Hi-Res DAC/Headphone Amplifier 31 seconds ago
- › Music City Meet Vol. 3 -- Nashville, TN -- Spring 2015 (April 18,... 41 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 55 seconds ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread 1 minute ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 1 minute ago
- › Fiio E18 2 minutes ago
- › Buttkicker Gamer/Tactile Transducer Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 2 minutes ago
- › Senn HD650 with sparkle and sharp punchy bass 3 minutes ago
- › IC: 2015 Melbourne Meet 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by Zobel
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+ Bluethooth Wireless Headphones by Deckardk
- › JVC KENWOOD In-Ear Headphones HA-FX750 by Whitigir
- › Schiit Lyr 2 by bpandbass
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by cleg
- › OSTRY KC06A Hi-Fi In-Ear High Performance Earphones Headphones by xsuper
- › Brainwavz Delta by vaziyetu
- › JVC Kenwood Victer Stereo Headphones Ha-sz1000 by Hawaiibadboy
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by pformagg
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 by Giogio
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2