Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions? - Page 154

post #2296 of 2387

Ok well here are some early first impressions on the Lyr.  Out of the box, I'm very impressed.  I'm going to try and stay reserved until the amp has been fully burned in (only have about 2 hours of play time on it so far).  But man, the power this thing puts out.  I did not expect such a difference with my HD650 between the PS Audio GCHA and the Lyr.  Don't get me wrong, the GCHA has its strengths; but the Lyr just seems to be breathing new life into these headphones.  I think the problem with the GCHA matched with the HD650 is that the GCHA is a tad rolled off in the treble.  That would be great for certain headphones, but the HD650s are already warm sounding headphones.

 

I'll post more impressions later after both the Lyr and my ears have burned in.

 

On a side note, I've got a pair of T1's on the way to try out with this amp.  Should be an interesting time.

post #2297 of 2387
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

+1

 

Return the Lyr and get the Mjolnir as to avoid the $1000-$3000 deficit caused by tube rolling. tongue.gif

LOL! biggrin.gif

post #2298 of 2387

Ok here are a few of my notes I've been taking since yesterday:

 

Just received the Lyr today (Friday, July 27, 2012). Right now I have about 7 hours on the amp, and it's sounding pretty good. Compared to the PS Audio GCHA, I notice that the Lyr has more transparency, which could simply be the result of the amp being less rolled off in the treble than the GCHA. The PS Audio has always been noted by other users as having a rolled off sound. The PS Audio does have a very liquid sound to it, but the Lyr maintains a bit of that liquidity while also bringing more dynamics and control to the table. The two sounds are still very different, however. Right now I'm listening to John Mayer's "Stop This Train", and even at a moderate volume, everything sounds very nuanced and controlled, but you can still hear a bit of that tube magic within the harmonic textures. The PS Audio did have a bit of specialness to the textures, but it wasn't quite like tube sound. There's just something very distinctive about tube sound; it adds an emotional quality to the music. The Lyr seems to provide better "separation" of the instruments, with a more expansive soundstage. The idea of soundstage when describing headphones seems a bit ridiculous, but once you've heard it, it's understandable. I'm trying to avoid gushing too much right now, simply because the amp is new, and new things have a tendency to sound fantastic at first. But I cannot deny the additional emotion that this amp seems to portray. I will see how this develops even further as the amp burns in. I read people describing the amp as running hot, but I didn't expect it to run this hot. I was disappointed to discover this, as this office room already can get a bit warm during the summer with our computers running. Even though the amp is relatively hot to the touch, it doesn't seems to warm up the room too much overall. I chose to get the amp with the NOS GH 6BZ7 tubes. I don't know how these compare with the second option, which is the JJ E88CC tubes. I may hear just a tad of midrange emphasis from this amp right now, which would also be the result of the tubes. I can't say that I mind it. I have a set of Beyerdynamic T1's on the way coming from the Cable Co. I'll be curious to hear these, but I'm most excited about the Hifiman HE-6 and HE-500s, which are next up after the T1.

 

I've also read people describing the Lyr as having a "high noise floor", but I'm not just not hearing that with the HD650. The noise floor sounds very low to me, and sounds seem to emerge from a fairly dark background, at least as dark as the PS Audio Amp.

 

I should also note that at this point, I'm using the PS Audio Digital Link III DAC, the PS Audio UPC-200 power conditioner, and Audience Conductor E interconnects. Power cables are PS Audio and Van Den Hull.

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Listening to the Lyr again now after it's been burning in overnight.  Rage Against the Machine's Bombtrack is full of energy, with strong, tight, impactful bass.  I'm hearing the qualities of a good strong solid state amp, but yet things like guitar strings still have that tube lushness to them.  I find that it's dangerously easy to crank up the volume on this amp, just because the sound is so exciting; but I need to be careful with my hearing.  But ironically, it's not to say that this amp doesn't sound good at low volumes.  In fact, I find the Lyr to do a much better job at lower volumes than the GCHA.  

 

Wow, Killing in the Name just came on, and I'm getting chills.  The guitars have such grunge and bite to them, but have that fantastic tube bloom when it comes to harmonics.  I can't say that I've ever heard a sound like this before; it's pretty hard to describe.  I'm getting very excited to start trying out some good orthyodynamics (or Planar Magnetic, as the kids call them these days).  

 

One thing that I've noticed with this pairing of the Lyr and HD650 is that the gain does seem to be too high.  I can barely get the volume knob to 9 o clock, and if I take it any higher, I feel like I'm going to start doing damage to my hearing.  In fact, at 8:30, I'm already playing at levels that should not be sustained for long periods.  This could also have something to do with the output voltage of the PS Audio Digital Link III.  I remember in the past some people discussing how it has a slightly higher-than-average output voltage.


Edited by jsplice - 7/28/12 at 5:55am
post #2299 of 2387
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsplice View Post

 

but the Lyr maintains a bit of that liquidity while also bringing more dynamics and control to the table. The two sounds are still very different, however. But I cannot deny the additional emotion that this amp seems to portray. One thing that I've noticed with this pairing of the Lyr and HD650 is that the gain does seem to be too high.  I can barely get the volume knob to 9 o clock, and if I take it any higher, I feel like I'm going to start doing damage to my hearing.  In fact, at 8:30, I'm already playing at levels that should not be sustained for long periods.  This could also have something to do with the output voltage of the PS Audio Digital Link III.  I remember in the past some people discussing how it has a slightly higher-than-average output voltage.

 

You describe what I like about this amp. It is a little surprising that the gain seems high to you with the HD650's since they are pretty high impedance so its probably a high output from the DLIII. The 6DJ8 tubes have a little less gain than the 6BZ7 (33 vs 36), so that would be worth trying. If you are using the DLIII with a computer you could also turn down its output a few debibels without degrading SQ using a good software volume control (ie foobar.)
post #2300 of 2387
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternE View Post

 

You describe what I like about this amp. It is a little surprising that the gain seems high to you with the HD650's since they are pretty high impedance so its probably a high output from the DLIII. The 6DJ8 tubes have a little less gain than the 6BZ7 (33 vs 36), so that would be worth trying. If you are using the DLIII with a computer you could also turn down its output a few debibels without degrading SQ using a good software volume control (ie foobar.)

 

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will have to put the 6DJ8's on my list for when I want to begin tube rolling.  As for the volume control, I'm currently using a MacBook with the trial version of Audirvana Plus.  I see that the Plus version allows to you use a software volume control, but the Free version of Audirvana does not have that in the options.  I don't think I'm going to spend the money on Audirvana Plus because there are probably other free alternatives.  I don't know that there is any benefit to spending money on expensive software players; I haven't noticed any difference in the sound between any of them, and reviews all over the Internet suggest the same thing.

post #2301 of 2387
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsplice View Post

 

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will have to put the 6DJ8's on my list for when I want to begin tube rolling.  As for the volume control, I'm currently using a MacBook with the trial version of Audirvana Plus.  I see that the Plus version allows to you use a software volume control, but the Free version of Audirvana does not have that in the options.  I don't think I'm going to spend the money on Audirvana Plus because there are probably other free alternatives.  I don't know that there is any benefit to spending money on expensive software players; I haven't noticed any difference in the sound between any of them, and reviews all over the Internet suggest the same thing.

Just use Bitperfect.

post #2302 of 2387
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Just use Bitperfect.

 

Looks like the price has been raised to $10 on that.  Not sure it's any better than Audirvana Free, especially since iTunes can't play FLAC, and I'd rather not hack up iTunes to get it to play FLAC.  Is there a clean easy way to play FLAC in iTunes?

 

Back to the Lyr, got a few more hours on it, but I was away most of this weekend.  One thing about this amp, notes seems to linger and decay so elegantly and correctly.  The level of transparency is good to the point where sometimes I think sounds are coming from other points in the room, when actually they are just parts of the song.  I can only imagine what this is going to sound like with some good orthos.

post #2303 of 2387
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsplice View Post

 

Looks like the price has been raised to $10 on that.  Not sure it's any better than Audirvana Free, especially since iTunes can't play FLAC, and I'd rather not hack up iTunes to get it to play FLAC.  Is there a clean easy way to play FLAC in iTunes?

 

Back to the Lyr, got a few more hours on it, but I was away most of this weekend.  One thing about this amp, notes seems to linger and decay so elegantly and correctly.  The level of transparency is good to the point where sometimes I think sounds are coming from other points in the room, when actually they are just parts of the song.  I can only imagine what this is going to sound like with some good orthos.

I'll feel a bit odd saying this, but $10 is "too much". I think Bitperfect is just a convenient and hassle free gem.

 

I don't see how converting FLAC to ALAC is very hard, but ok. I remember trying FLUKE however, it created pretty bad lag switching between songs.

 

Glad you're enjoying your Lyr. I'd urge ya to get some orthos and start tube rolling.


Edited by paradoxper - 7/29/12 at 5:08pm
post #2304 of 2387
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsplice View Post

I read people describing the amp as running hot, but I didn't expect it to run this hot. I was disappointed to discover this, as this office room already can get a bit warm during the summer with our computers running.

 

 

Welcome to the Lyr Club! I'm also using the PS Audio DLinkIII and think it sounds terrific with the Lyr.

 

Oh, and I know what ya mean about the heat from the Lyr...see my sig. biggrin.gif

post #2305 of 2387
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post

 

Welcome to the Lyr Club! I'm also using the PS Audio DLinkIII and think it sounds terrific with the Lyr.

 

Oh, and I know what ya mean about the heat from the Lyr...see my sig. biggrin.gif

 

The Lyr would actually be a step down compared to my "winter system", which is my speaker system.  I have a Primaluna Prologue 2 integrated amp that uses 4 KT88 power tubes.  The Lyr is practically an ice cube by comparison tongue.gif

post #2306 of 2387

Add me as a third with the DLIII and Lyr, if just temporary.  The DLIII is part of my main a/v system (and far too big for my desk)  so I've got an rDAC coming in.  Anyway, it's an awesome combo.  Hope the rDAC (heard/read the USB implementation is awesome) is a good alternative.

Anyway, loving the Lyr with the HD700 and HE400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post

 

Welcome to the Lyr Club! I'm also using the PS Audio DLinkIII and think it sounds terrific with the Lyr.

 

Oh, and I know what ya mean about the heat from the Lyr...see my sig. biggrin.gif

post #2307 of 2387
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post

Add me as a third with the DLIII and Lyr, if just temporary.  The DLIII is part of my main a/v system (and far too big for my desk)  so I've got an rDAC coming in.  Anyway, it's an awesome combo.  Hope the rDAC (heard/read the USB implementation is awesome) is a good alternative.

Anyway, loving the Lyr with the HD700 and HE400.

 

How would you compare the sound of the HD700 versus the HE400 with the Lyr?  Does the price difference correlate to a performance increase?

post #2308 of 2387

They are very different cans.  When I had the HD650, I pretty much split my time with them and the HE400. Now that the HD700 have broken in and lost it's edginess, the HE400 are not getting much love.

 

The HD700 are more airy, open and much less dark (they do have a bit of a dark side while maintaining great mids with sparkle.. not sure how to explain it). The HE400 sound dull relative to the Senns.  As far as bass goes, the HD700 is tighter, quicker, much more natural and pleasing. If I had to choose between them, it would be the HD700 hands down.

I listen to a lot of Enigma, 80s & 90s remix dance and new wave and female vocal.  Plus Patricia Barber, Frank Sinatra, Michael Buble, Eva Cassidy, throw in some Supertramp, Dire Straits, AC/DC and Eagles.. all are simply stunning on the HD700 with the Lyr (running the stock GE tubes right now)

 

Not sure how to answer the value question but I definitely feel the HD700 just smokes the HE400 (with the Lyr).  I purchased the Lyr because I fell in love with the LCD2 last year.  Got sidetracked with the HE400 and HD700. My Christmas present to myself will be the LCD2 rev 2 (and it will probably replace the HE400)

If I listen to just the HE400s for a while, they're quite fun and enjoyable - definitely a superb value - just can't go back and forth between the two.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsplice View Post

 

How would you compare the sound of the HD700 versus the HE400 with the Lyr?  Does the price difference correlate to a performance increase?


Edited by MickeyVee - 7/29/12 at 8:21pm
post #2309 of 2387
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post

Add me as a third with the DLIII and Lyr, if just temporary.  The DLIII is part of my main a/v system (and far too big for my desk)  so I've got an rDAC coming in.  Anyway, it's an awesome combo.  Hope the rDAC (heard/read the USB implementation is awesome) is a good alternative.

Anyway, loving the Lyr with the HD700 and HE400.


Hey Mark! Glad you are still loving your Lyr!

 

I see you added a Dragonfly. Hows it sound?

post #2310 of 2387
It's actually stunning with the HD700. Been running it non stop for the last week or so to burn in. By far, the best portable solution I've tried. For me, it's a keeper. Done with looking for my ultimate portable setup with the MacBook Air.
If the rDAC works out, also done with my desktop solution too. MacMini > rDAC > Lyr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post


Hey Mark! Glad you are still loving your Lyr!

I see you added a Dragonfly. Hows it sound?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?