Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Drawing too much power off my wall sockets?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Drawing too much power off my wall sockets?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Hey all... I thought unplugging the minifridge would fix this :( damn. Well I have a computer with a 550W psu, a Peachtree Decco, and a subwoofer all plugged into an extension off my wall socket. Also plugged in is a phon preamp and a turntable but they're off most of the time.  I can clearly tell that everything is pulling too much. The phono preamp will turn off and on when I first hit the power. Music will stop playing if I plug something in on another socket in the room. Etc etc. So what's teh resolution? Do I need a UPS? Or is my only option to slim down on power consumption? Thanks all.

post #2 of 11

Just to note, the capacity of your powersupply is a non-issue, as computer power supplies are NOT linear so if you put a lower wattage supply in there it won't make much of a difference, as the power supply only uses as much power as needed, just throwing this out there.

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 

Yep I'm aware of how a PSU works. I'm looking for answers on how to rectify my current situation of drawing too much power off of my wall sockets.

post #4 of 11

It sounds like the wiring of the plug socket could be faulty, possibly no ground? I had a similar problem in the house we recently moved into, every time I plugged something in and/or switched something on it would trip the power. Have you tried other plugs in the same room and if that didn't help elsewhere in the house?

post #5 of 11

Yea sounds like a wiring problem get a electrician to check your house wiring.

post #6 of 11

if the fuse is tripping with all that on, i ask, do you know what other sockets are on this fuse? I know at the house I rent we had the two downstairs fans, the living room itself, the second floor hallway, the two rooms on the second floor, the second floor bathroom, one socket in the third bedroom on the second floor, the third floor hallway, the third floor bathroom, and one of the third floor bedrooms all on one fuse. during the summers, we all had a choice, run ur in window AC or have anything you wanted on. I know my power would knock out everytime i tried to use my desktop, ps3, or floorstanding light with the AC on and the other two ppl had their AC on. i would also sometimes knock the power off with just having the floorstanding light with the pc and music playing from my desktop.

post #7 of 11

sounds like something very wrong, no way that sort of load should trouble the draw available from a wall socket.  is it an old house with 100 year old wiring?

 

you should be able to run an electric kettle off a wall socket and seeing as mine uses about 3kw you wont be coming anywhere close to that.

post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the responses everyone. My house is new so there shouldn't be any problems there. However I don't doubt that my parents cheaped out on the wiring, as is the case with the rest of the house :D 

 

As I recall, the Decco doesn't have a real ground, or has a floating ground, or some other abnormality (I really wish I could find the post, not sure which forum it was on). It was explained to me that this is also why I pick up EFI from my graphics card over USB. Could this have something to do with it? 

 

Anyway, I doubt my parents care enough about my loud music to pay for an electrician to look at my wiring. Any way that I could easily check if something is buggered if I pull off my wall socket? Finally, could it have anything to do with running everything off of a power strip?

 

 

post #9 of 11

Maybe you have a fautly power strip? , i have two sockets in my room both have 6way power strips plugged into them , i can run my laptop , 5.1 system , xbox360 , tv , speaker amp , speakers , dac/amp , freeview pvr , all at the same time with no problems.

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing1337 View Post

Any way that I could easily check if something is buggered if I pull off my wall socket? Finally, could it have anything to do with running everything off of a power strip?

 


Well the faulty sockets in my house result in a red warning light on my surge protector...

post #11 of 11

sounds like you're overloading the actual circuit. Try unplugging some high power loads that are on the circuit (even in other rooms) that was my solution, since i had 3 pc's, 2 tv's, and a receiver on one circuit, and when my sister turned on her hair dryer (same circuit), it cut out the stereo momentarily and sometimes even tripped the breaker.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Drawing too much power off my wall sockets?