Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Being a student audiophile...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Being a student audiophile... - Page 6

post #76 of 201
Thread Starter 

You can give me a HD650 and be an awesome friend xP haha

 

with the jokes aside, why is your HRT MSII collecting dust? I was thinking about buying it as my first dac?

post #77 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by juman231 View Post

You can give me a HD650 and be an awesome friend xP haha

 

with the jokes aside, why is your HRT MSII collecting dust? I was thinking about buying it as my first dac?



It sounds great, it's just too analytical a match for the HD 650's I think. I prefer the the more musical sound signature of the DAC in my EF2A, even if it is a tad less detailed.

 

With my dad's speakers it's pretty amazing though. . . it destroys his ancient CD player in terms of clarity and soundstage. :)

post #78 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite_6 View Post


 

I would imagine that it depends a lot on what your profession is. . . I'm planing on majoring in Geology and FWIR it's not that hard to get a job in earth sciences. . . (maybe I'm just being optimistic though)

 

Just posting to say that I'm a college student. . . and the only reason I can afford the HD 650's is because my dad is awesome. . .
 

 


You might be right, but I'm still skeptical. Engineering has always been a high demand and high paying degree and even now the job market looks bad for us because of the recession, except for maybe Computer Science and EE. After busting my ass for 4 years, no engineer should have a sub 50k job.
Edited by ohhgourami - 3/1/11 at 7:26pm
post #79 of 201
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite_6 View Post





It sounds great, it's just too analytical a match for the HD 650's I think. I prefer the the more musical sound signature of the DAC in my EF2A, even if it is a tad less detailed.

 

With my dad's speakers it's pretty amazing though. . . it destroys his ancient CD player in terms of clarity and soundstage. :)


I would have guessed the analytical sound would have someone alleviated the "veil" of the HD650 everyone talks about. What amplifer did you use them with? Using MSII with HD650 was one of the rigs I was thinking of as my future setup...

 

post #80 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite_6 View Post


 

I would imagine that it depends a lot on what your profession is. . . I'm planing on majoring in Geology and FWIR it's not that hard to get a job in earth sciences. . . (maybe I'm just being optimistic though)

 

Just posting to say that I'm a college student. . . and the only reason I can afford the HD 650's is because my dad is awesome. . .
 

 




You might be right, but I'm still skeptical. Engineering has always been a high demand and high paying degree and even now the job market looks bad for us because of the recession, except for maybe Computer Science and EE. After busting my ass for 4 years, no engineer should have a sub 50k job.


Amen, but even comp sci and EEs are having trouble too, I have a few EE and CPE friends who cannot find jobs, got excellent grades (for engineering) and graduated from cal poly, then I have other EE friends who are interning at apple and microsoft and other massive tech companies, so it is a mixed bag.

post #81 of 201
Quote:
Stay away from torrents and file sharing if possible.  You don't know if that track has been encoded in 128k, then extracted to WAV, then back to 320k, etc


Incorrect information, while the most popular sources such as Limewire/Frostwire, and the pirate bay(hint hint), tend to have crappy descriptions or quality, good (and usually private) trackers like demonoid and especially what.cd make "good" quality (Typically, the absolute minimum is 192kbps, and preferred is V0/320/FLAC) downloads necessary, and they are completely anal about the integrity of their files there.

 

post #82 of 201
Sorry for being off topic.

Turimbar1, you go to cal poly slo? Yeah it might be easier to get a job as an engineer but it's still hard. I'm graduating as an ee and still haven't found one. I know many others who are graduating too and haven't yet, but also know some who got jobs lined up.
post #83 of 201
I go to cal poly slo and I keep seeing a dude wearing some Grado, maybe sr80/60
post #84 of 201
Thread Starter 

Cal Poly? We might be close by! I live in Diamond Bar!

post #85 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by saliu View Post

Sorry for being off topic.

Turimbar1, you go to cal poly slo? Yeah it might be easier to get a job as an engineer but it's still hard. I'm graduating as an ee and still haven't found one. I know many others who are graduating too and haven't yet, but also know some who got jobs lined up.


I went to cal poly slo yeah, did EE for 3 yrs then got booted (quarter gpa below 2.0 three quarters in a row, calc 4 got me hard). now im in SD doing JC until I can get to a college and get my bachelors in something or other.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinola View Post

I go to cal poly slo and I keep seeing a dude wearing some Grado, maybe sr80/60


lol yeah, I knew someone who used those, but he transfered, so idk. I met some other guys who had senn 280s, and I have a friend up there who made his own pimeta amp in highschool and uses it to drive his hd650s, another guy I know up there is making a gamma 2, EEs have the most awesome audio projects (for obvious reasons). There is actually an audio engineering club on campus, though it is not very active from what I remember.

 

 

post #86 of 201

Allesandro MS-1's!

post #87 of 201
From what i've seen I think I'm the only one at my campus with a pair of grados...or any good cans so far :/
post #88 of 201


Well thats unfortunate... Switching to EE I was hoping I'd have a decent job-market outlook, I guess noone is "winning" in employment anymore.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turimbar1 View Post

Amen, but even comp sci and EEs are having trouble too, I have a few EE and CPE friends who cannot find jobs, got excellent grades (for engineering) and graduated from cal poly, then I have other EE friends who are interning at apple and microsoft and other massive tech companies, so it is a mixed bag.



Anyway, the way I do it is I save my pennies, literally. Any coinage I receive as change i consider to be already factored out of my cashflow, and therefore it's mine to do with as I wish. I applied the same principle with my tax return (although I did bank half of it), but it ended up being spent on an iPod (used) as opposed to an amp, because being able to listen to the music on the go is more important than being able to sit down a few times a week and listen to it very well (Heresy, I know).

 

Also DIY, I modded my used SR60's, I'm in the process of a GrubDAC, and hopefully someday an amp (although I may just go with an LD1+). Building also helps fight the upgrade-itus as welll as giving a better return on the dollar per the investment.

 

post #89 of 201


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by juman231 View Post




I would have guessed the analytical sound would have someone alleviated the "veil" of the HD650 everyone talks about. What amplifer did you use them with? Using MSII with HD650 was one of the rigs I was thinking of as my future setup...

 


Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft, veil. rolleyes.gif   That's all I have to say about that.

 

I've been using the EF2A as just an amp and also my dad's NAD speaker amplifier. . . .

 

post #90 of 201

I'm in the same situation... first year in college, and there usually isn't much money left over for headphones :(

I've almost saved up enough to get an amp/dac combo for my AKG Sextetts. Hopefully that will last me through college!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Being a student audiophile...