Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Being a student audiophile...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Being a student audiophile... - Page 8

post #106 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletConqueror View Post

Small world lol. I just transfered to UCSC from Cuesta, grew up in Osos, and my uncle's an ME prof at Poly (Joe Mello). I agree with juman231, we should totally have a mini-meet. I should have some new cans by spring break...a700s? I dunno. It's hard to know what you want when you haven't heard too many in the first place. 

 

I'm a CE major and I've already had one internship offer for the summer, but I'm kinda hoping from a better offer from Google or EMC, but either way should be getting some pretty good money over the summer. Maybe this obsession won't totally kill me, or my poor poor wallet. Not likely though lol.

 

 

 

BTW turimbar1, you know that Cuesta uses HD280's for their audio-production program? My friend's in that, apparently the music lab is full of em. I imagine if you spent time at Cuesta you'd see a few around. Makes sense with the isolation, and pretty cheap. God know's Cuesta's not exactly rolling in the dough.


Seriously, they have to close every single summer. No, I had no idea they used sennys, I only went to cal poly. Knew a few audiophiles before I knew what an audiophile was lol

 

Head-Fi.org
[curl] 6: name lookup timed out [url] http://sws.pricegrabber.com/search_xml.php?pid=1818&version=2.54&masterid=817219278&mode=huddler_headfiorg_pg_20&key=63ae801891a60d36339257dbfe91c883c61bc3f55f854c6fa13d4d75

There Seems to be a Problem

We're sorry, but there's been an error in our system, and we can't complete your request. Please report this error to us, using our feedback system. Thanks!

post #107 of 201

Yes college sucks.  I get people giving me weird looks when I walk around with my HM-602.  I see so many damn Beats around.  Just disgusting...  If only I can find more audiophiles down here in UCSD

 

 

 

post #108 of 201

I am in high school and was considering ME or EE when I get to college. Is that silly?

post #109 of 201

Why would that be silly?

post #110 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post

Yes college sucks.  I get people giving me weird looks when I walk around with my HM-602.  I see so many damn Beats around.  Just disgusting...  If only I can find more audiophiles down here in UCSD

 

 

 



have you tried the beats? while im sure theyre not on par with what we use, im sure theyre not thattttttt bad.  plus if you dont know any better, ignorance is bliss.  to them, the beats sound awesome. plus theyre used by athletes so they think theyre more cool.  i have a friend that loves flashy things, he bought one. i suggested denons but he went with beats. im not gonna argue with him. thats what he wants.

post #111 of 201
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post

Yes college sucks.  I get people giving me weird looks when I walk around with my HM-602.  I see so many damn Beats around.  Just disgusting...  If only I can find more audiophiles down here in UCSD

 

 

 


=/...I was deciding between UCSD and CSUF...decided against SD since I coudn't do FAFSA.

 

post #112 of 201

How come every time I listen to them, they are that bad? Ignorance surly can't be bliss when you blow 300 bucks on a can worth $80, because it really sucks when you find out you wasted your cash (like when the cheap plastic snaps).

 

To make this post relevant: I am in college. I have headphones.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caracara08 View Post





have you tried the beats? while im sure theyre not on par with what we use, im sure theyre not thattttttt bad.  plus if you dont know any better, ignorance is bliss.  to them, the beats sound awesome. plus theyre used by athletes so they think theyre more cool.  i have a friend that loves flashy things, he bought one. i suggested denons but he went with beats. im not gonna argue with him. thats what he wants.



 

post #113 of 201


I wouldn't recommend you to do "small" upgrades. You may regret it (Telling you from my own xp). I think saving and waiting a little bit more is a better decision.

Wait until you can afford at least some SR125i

After SR60i, the next big bang for the buck grado model is the SR225i. Consider buying an used pair from anothr headfier, 



 

 

post #114 of 201


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saliu View Post





Asian guy wearing a LA hat with a MacBook? If not wearing a hat probably "bald?"

Not sure about the mini meet as the highest headphone I have is the HD595s heh.



That sounds kind of like him, I'm not totally sure though, I was distracted because I was on my way to a fluids midterm lol.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinola View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by spacewolf11 View Post





another cal poly engineering student checking in. apparently a lot of student audiophiles here...
never seen the guy wearing grados, i saw a guy carrying around dt770pro 80ohm's today though.




what kind of engineering and year? I'm doing industrial, freshman.
I always see people using apple earbuds. For some reason, I don't see people wearing beats by dre. I think the fad might've died down a bit. I used to see 5 a day, but now, I'd see 1 in a week if I'm lucky.

Just sold my pro900's and D4 so I can buy a nice amp for my UM3x. Kinda regretting selling my pro 900 though.


I'm general, concentrating in bmed and mechanical. I'm a fourth year, but not graduating, got pretty far behind. I see one or two pairs of beats a day, but ya, I used to see many more. I see a couple hd428s (one of them mine), a hd202, a hd201, and some sony xb500s on the bus pretty regularly.

 

about a meet. i might be able to do one if it got organized. would be fun...

 

post #115 of 201
Let's do a mini-meet! I only have a UM3x though... Also a Bravo V2 tube amp that I really don't care about.
post #116 of 201

I've got my Pro900, SR225, and then some HD428s I use to go on campus. Probably wouldn't have to many options at a meet, but should still be fun.


Edited by spacewolf11 - 3/3/11 at 11:21am
post #117 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by mralexosborn View Post

I am in high school and was considering ME or EE when I get to college. Is that silly?


only if you are not willing to offer a blood sacrifice to the gods of science every day lol, there is a facebook group for Cal Poly: "I dont need sex because Cal Poly rapes me every day" lol

 

but if you are good at math (like pretty dang good) and science, then you will do fine as long as you work yourself to the bone. If you can get into Cal Poly right now then you deserve to be there, they have cut back on enrollment alot.

 

but I have one friend: did TERRIBLE throughout all of calc and struggled through physics, dropped out and went to cuesta, then he retook everything, took his time, was able to transfer to Sac State and he is graduating with a ME degree, but he is like 26. worth it? it was for him, but he loves engineering. 

 

on another note, the udac2 is excellent, but it cannot power my t50rps as well as I would like, I am now taking a look at the maverick D1 and the audio-gd offerings

 

post #118 of 201



This sounds a bit like me, I did terrible in math in highschool, but it's making much more sense the second time around. I'm one of those people that is very extreem. If I look at something and I don't understand it, it may as well be written in martian, but once I finally do, its as simple as 1+1. I hope that's enough to get me through calc 2 and 3 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turimbar1 View Post

 

but if you are good at math (like pretty dang good) and science, then you will do fine as long as you work yourself to the bone. If you can get into Cal Poly right now then you deserve to be there, they have cut back on enrollment alot.

 

but I have one friend: did TERRIBLE throughout all of calc and struggled through physics, dropped out and went to cuesta, then he retook everything, took his time, was able to transfer to Sac State and he is graduating with a ME degree, but he is like 26. worth it? it was for him, but he loves engineering. 

 

on another note, the udac2 is excellent, but it cannot power my t50rps as well as I would like, I am now taking a look at the maverick D1 and the audio-gd offerings

 



 

post #119 of 201

Calc gets better the higher you get in it, not exactly easier, but definitely better. I went into college without enough math and spent an extra year at cuesta just getting caught up on calc, but it was totally worth it. I don't know much about ME but EE can be pretty intense, but very satisfying. EE is just a few steps away from applied physics in many ways, in fact I know a physics major that ended up in EE. As a CE major I have to take a few EE classes.

 

The only silly reason to go into engineering is to make lots of money. I imagine there are better ways to make more money, but if you like it, do it.

post #120 of 201
Thread Starter 

Ooooh I just threw the meet idea in there but if it works, It'd be FUN!!!

 

Probably in spring break? When is calpoly's spring break? CSUF spring break starts on march 28th. I'll bring my ATH-M50 and Cowon J3!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Being a student audiophile...