or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information) - Page 66

post #976 of 4815
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukflyboy View Post

Thanks Joe, though I must say I was hoping you would say the bass on the T1s was great just to make the desicion an easy oneregular_smile%20.gif
I guess I also have the option of reshells too though it just seems like a bit of a copout. Thanks again and I'll let you know how I get on.


The bass on the T1 has great quality, but not quantity.  I am not sure yet exactly where it stands as far as quality, but it is a step above the EM4 in texture and fine detail, however the EM4 has bass enhancement and the ability to rumble much more.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedingredline View Post

Hey Joe, Have any thoughts on a hearing instruments vacuum for CIEMs?


Do you mean the vacuum effect when putting a CIEM in?  I get that from time to time but just pull back slightly and then let them reseat to get rid of it.

post #977 of 4815

No, a vacuum for cleaning the wax out.

post #978 of 4815

Detachable cables now available from SpiralEar! Compatibile with after market cables

post #979 of 4815

Haha yeah! Since now it's on the website I guess I am allowed to leak that information too:) 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrus-g View Post

Detachable cables now available from SpiralEar! Compatibile with after market cables



 

post #980 of 4815
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrus-g View Post

Detachable cables now available from SpiralEar! Compatibile with after market cables


I am not sure if you remember, but my 5-way has some fit issues that make it uncomfortable for extended listening.  I have been waiting on the detachable cable for a while and it is finally here!  I am very interested to That is what I have been waiting on for my replacement SE 5-way!  Mine should ship soon and I am very interested to see the implementation as I suggested a possible method for implementation and I am wondering how close Grzegorz design is to that.  But most importantly, I am wondering just how much improvement there will be with TWag and other aftermarket cables.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedingredline View Post

No, a vacuum for cleaning the wax out.


I don't use a vacuum, but when I do use the cleaning tool I hold the nozzle down.  Sometimes I have to stick a tooth pic into the nozzle to get a flake of cerumen out, but in general if I use the Seren hearing aid dryer, the wax flakes off on its own.

post #981 of 4815
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post


I am not sure if you remember, but my 5-way has some fit issues that make it uncomfortable for extended listening.  I have been waiting on the detachable cable for a while and it is finally here!  I am very interested to That is what I have been waiting on for my replacement SE 5-way!  Mine should ship soon and I am very interested to see the implementation as I suggested a possible method for implementation and I am wondering how close Grzegorz design is to that.  But most importantly, I am wondering just how much improvement there will be with TWag and other aftermarket cables.

Oh you!

My only "against" SE was non-detachable cables. Now I'm really considering getting one of their product. I wrote to Grzegorz and got reply almost right away despite it was Sunday afternoon. Outstanding!
 

 

post #982 of 4815
Thread Starter 

Now you have no excuse!  

 

Seems 2012 is the year of the detachable cable for silicone shells...ACS has their new detachable cable, Sensaphonics upgraded theirs, and now Spiral Ear, with a cable that is compatible with aftermarket cables!  

post #983 of 4815

Hey Joe,

I've been considering getting my Miracles remolded to have a longer tip. If this is possible, would it affect sound? How about isolation? Comfort? Bone conduction? I'm trying to prevent my CIEMs from losing seal whenever I make a facial expression or turn my head.

 

Also, how would you compare a silicone CIEM's bone conduction to that of an acrylic?

Thanks.


Edited by Kanashimu - 1/17/12 at 5:46pm
post #984 of 4815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanashimu View Post

Hey Joe,

I've been considering getting my Miracles remolded to have a longer tip. If this is possible, would it affect sound? How about isolation? Comfort? Bone conduction? I'm trying to prevent my CIEMs from losing seal whenever I make a facial expression or turn my head.

 

Also, how would you compare a silicone CIEM's bone conduction to that of an acrylic?

Thanks.



 

in my opinion, one of the better things you can to do help you get that seal that doesnt break when you move your mouth is to get your impressions made with your mouth almost fully open. 

post #985 of 4815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanashimu View Post

Also, how would you compare a silicone CIEM's bone conduction to that of an acrylic?


I'm not Joe, but basically, the better the isolation, the greater the bone conduction (or rather, your perception of the bone conduction, which no CIEM actually changes). In my experience, silicone isolates better, which leads to greater bone conduction.

 

post #986 of 4815
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanashimu View Post

Hey Joe,

I've been considering getting my Miracles remolded to have a longer tip. If this is possible, would it affect sound? How about isolation? Comfort? Bone conduction? I'm trying to prevent my CIEMs from losing seal whenever I make a facial expression or turn my head.

 

Also, how would you compare a silicone CIEM's bone conduction to that of an acrylic?

Thanks.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br777 View Post

in my opinion, one of the better things you can to do help you get that seal that doesnt break when you move your mouth is to get your impressions made with your mouth almost fully open. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post

I'm not Joe, but basically, the better the isolation, the greater the bone conduction (or rather, your perception of the bone conduction, which no CIEM actually changes). In my experience, silicone isolates better, which leads to greater bone conduction.


The first step to making sure you have a proper fit is a good set of impressions that need to be deep.  I do all my own impressions these days and I get the ear dam (oto block) as deep as possible and make sure I have enough pressure when plunging out the material.  I have moved from a less viscous material to a more viscous material with better results, although I really don't have any issues.  Professionals should use kits that have more viscous material (softer and flows better).  

 

While I could easily tell when the harder material, such as the material that is included with the Kozee impression kit, is going in my canal, the new material I use applies much less pressure in my canal.  And I do sometimes make multiple impressions to make sure it is done the right way.  However, I really don't recommend people make their own impressions, especially the first time since someone should examine your ears first, and you should watch how it is done and what they should look like.  

 

OK, enough about that.  A longer canal will provide a better fit if the impressions are good.  Any reshell may change the sound, but if you have UM do the reshell, they should be able to get the sound they way it was intended regardless of the canal length.  Of course, there will be some changes to the sound, but the overall sound signature should be fine.

 

As far as how you have your impressions taken, I have found that biting on the thinnest part of a 1" bite block, which is about 1/2" works fine for me and I don't lose a seal no matter what.  With silicone shells I take closed mouth impressions. Of course, if the company wants my impressions a different way, I will do them that way.  To me, it sounds like your impressions might not have been deep enough.

 

A temporary fix is you can use lubrication and that might help keep the seal. Or, you can add material to the shell such as non-toxic nail polish for a longer term fix.

 

Bass is conducted primarily in the air, so a seal is important for bass. And I am not the expert in bone conduction, but I believe it the larger the surface area, the more bone conduction you get, so the entire shell that contacts your ear will contribute, but if there is no seal it will be very weak as that is not what the driver was designed to do.  The effect isn't too large, but does contribute to the experience.


Edited by average_joe - 1/17/12 at 10:25pm
post #987 of 4815
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

Bass is conducted primarily in the air, so a seal is important for bass. And I am not the expert in bone conduction, but I believe it the larger the surface area, the more bone conduction you get, so the entire shell that contacts your ear will contribute, but if there is no seal it will be very weak as that is not what the driver was designed to do.  The effect isn't too large, but does contribute to the experience.


Ah, I thought Kanashimu was inquiring about the kind of bone conduction that makes your footsteps resonate in your skull when your ears are plugged.

post #988 of 4815
Thread Starter 

If that is what he meant, then there really isn't much difference between silicone and acrylic shells for me.  I think hearing footsteps are a function of how good the seal is and your anatomy.  I can hear my footsteps, but not very loudly.  A test would be to hold the CIEM in your ear and see if anything changes, or to use lubricant to create a better seal.

post #989 of 4815
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

 


I am not sure if you remember, but my 5-way has some fit issues that make it uncomfortable for extended listening.  I have been waiting on the detachable cable for a while and it is finally here!  I am very interested to That is what I have been waiting on for my replacement SE 5-way!  Mine should ship soon and I am very interested to see the implementation as I suggested a possible method for implementation and I am wondering how close Grzegorz design is to that.  But most importantly, I am wondering just how much improvement there will be with TWag and other aftermarket cables.

 


I don't use a vacuum, but when I do use the cleaning tool I hold the nozzle down.  Sometimes I have to stick a tooth pic into the nozzle to get a flake of cerumen out, but in general if I use the Seren hearing aid dryer, the wax flakes off on its own.

 

Hi Joe,

 

Does this mean the 5-way will work with my JH13's Twag? That's seriously a huge plus for it....

 

Any quick comments on the 5-way vs T1-live! especially for musicality, bass and soundstage? (detail optional, since my JH13 is just fine for that..)
 

cheers,

Jason

post #990 of 4815
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelt2359 View Post

 

Hi Joe,

 

Does this mean the 5-way will work with my JH13's Twag? That's seriously a huge plus for it....

 

Any quick comments on the 5-way vs T1-live! especially for musicality, bass and soundstage? (detail optional, since my JH13 is just fine for that..)
 

cheers,

Jason


Hi Jason, the 5-way should work with the TWag, but I will have to get it to verify.  I have not had time to compare the T1 Live! with the 5-way as I am finishing up my EM4 review, but I do know they are different experiences, especially in the bass region.  The 5-way can be a monster if it is in the source material and you use a good amp.  The bass capability (ability to reproduce bass) is greater on my 5-way than my LCD-2 with my Anedio D1 DAC/amp!  The T1 Live! is pretty neutral with a bit of warmth, but the single driver doesn't have the capability of the multi-bass driver CIEMs.  Plus, Grzegorz used some unique to him configuration for the bass drivers.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)