or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information) - Page 58

post #856 of 4815

I prefer the SM2 over the SM3... where would that bring me in your world of customs? biggrin.gif

post #857 of 4815
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post

I prefer the SM2 over the SM3... where would that bring me in your world of customs? biggrin.gif


Same here, some of the reason is no mid bass hump and leaner presentation, I also prefer sm2 over my previous JH11 and actually I just put my order for brand new EM2pro:D
post #858 of 4815
Thread Starter 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedingredline View Post

Well that is quite the list, 2 of my choices are on that list, the W4 and the ck10. I expected to see the ex1000 on the list as well, but I dont know if I can bring myself to buy those. Today I enjoyed listening to some tunes on the following combo, S:flo2 -> sr-71b -> twag v2(SE)/jh16. I listened to some Tool, Madonna, Lo Fidelity All-stars, LMFAO, Basement Jaxx, and Adele. I will have to say to the music really came alive, I was walking from building to building which are all ghost towns at the hours I work. I kept looking over my shoulder because I was hearing things in the music I never heard before. But I couldnt believe the clarity while listening to Adele, she just sang hear lungs out, lol. Then the battery died in the S:flo2. I switched to the iphone after that for some Metallica and justice for all, which was probably mp3 format, all previous mentioned music was flac. Used the twag v2/jh16 combo for that as well, then I tried the W3s and the JH13s, no comparison there, the 16s were the winners hand down. I couldnt even keep the W3 in my ears, just cant get a good fit.


The setup you have with your JH16, especially the TWag cable, really help it develop a more enveloping 3D presentation, although it still isn't quite up to par vs. many stock CIEMs in the price range, but the JH16 (and probably JH13) do have some very good qualities you won't find in universals.  Listening to the universals isn't the easiest time because you have to get by the lower technical performance and focus on how the music is presented.  

 

How much of a difference did you notice between the S:flo2 and iPhone?  I know that in comparison with my custom IEMs just about every universal is left in the dust and I can't keep them in for reasons other than fit ;)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heret1c View Post

That last statement about the EM4 was exactly what I was hoping to hear you say about them as I was rather disappointed after reading the EM3 pro review. The EM4 is sounding more and more like the CIEM I've dreamt about!

 

Agree on the K3003 and PFE323 but the price of admission for those are pretty steep unless I can find someone who has them here in Malaysia and is willing to let me audition them. I'd be more inclined to save the money towards the EM4....althought of late I've been playing with the idea of a UM reshell (maybe even add drivers) for the SM3. But I haven't read anything concrete in terms of reviews to convince me that's a good idea yet.


I would like to hear those universals and have actually received several PMs asking if I could get a K3003 for comparison since the price is on par with the high end CIEMs, but I have no time at the moment.  If you are thinking of a reshell of the SM3, the EM4 would be a solution that outperforms a reshelled SM3.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post

I prefer the SM2 over the SM3... where would that bring me in your world of customs? biggrin.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprasetya View Post

Same here, some of the reason is no mid bass hump and leaner presentation, I also prefer sm2 over my previous JH11 and actually I just put my order for brand new EM2pro:D

 

Reading joker's review of the SM2 I can see parts of the SM2 and SM3 in the EM4, but there the quality is a good step higher than the SM3.  However, the EM4 has a brighter sound.  I still have a lot of listening and comparing to do with the EM4 before I completely get it, but I think Franck did an excellent job tuning it for audiophiles.  Since the SM2 is a little less bright, the SE stuff may be a better approximation.  

 

My quick comparison of the 5-way and EM4 last night made me realize just how powerful the bass of the 5-way is; it is more substantial for bass heavy tracks, but I don't find the EM4 to lack at all in the bass department.  The 5-way is somewhat of an evolution in the bass recreation, at least with a high end source.

post #859 of 4815

 

How much of a difference did you notice between the S:flo2 and iPhone?  I know that in comparison with my custom IEMs just about every universal is left in the dust and I can't keep them in for reasons other than fit ;)

 

Was a noticeable difference as I was using the S:flo2 amped with the sr-71b, the iPhone was straight HO, no amp. I need to get a LOD for the iphone.

post #860 of 4815

I really want to try the universals but after trying to use the W3 I don't think I can do it.

post #861 of 4815

If the EM4 is like the SM2 or SM3 with the treble energy of DBA-02 --- then I think that's the custom for me... remember that I am using the EM3pro with boosted treble (@+6 in a Rockboxed Fuze).
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post
Reading joker's review of the SM2 I can see parts of the SM2 and SM3 in the EM4, but there the quality is a good step higher than the SM3.  However, the EM4 has a brighter sound.  I still have a lot of listening and comparing to do with the EM4 before I completely get it, but I think Franck did an excellent job tuning it for audiophiles.  Since the SM2 is a little less bright, the SE stuff may be a better approximation.  

 

My quick comparison of the 5-way and EM4 last night made me realize just how powerful the bass of the 5-way is; it is more substantial for bass heavy tracks, but I don't find the EM4 to lack at all in the bass department.  The 5-way is somewhat of an evolution in the bass recreation, at least with a high end source.



 

post #862 of 4815
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedingredline View Post

I really want to try the universals but after trying to use the W3 I don't think I can do it.


Yea, high SQ can do that.  If you really want to try the universals don't listen to your custom IEMs for a day or two and then see how the W3 sounds...



Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post

If the EM4 is like the SM2 or SM3 with the treble energy of DBA-02 --- then I think that's the custom for me... remember that I am using the EM3pro with boosted treble (@+6 in a Rockboxed Fuze).

 

I am not sure if the EM4 has DBA-02 treble, but even if it does the amount of bass doesn't give the same overall balance. 

post #863 of 4815

Well I am off to do a little spring cleaning, so I am busting out the s:flo2 -> sr71b -> twag 2/JH16, gonna give Adele - Live at Albert Hall a listen. Normally I don't like live recordings, hope this changes that out look.

post #864 of 4815
Thread Starter 

Live recordings can be amazing when they are portrayed right!  

post #865 of 4815

Thanks for that. I'll keep my EM3 then biggrin.gif Hope to compare the sf5v2c before the year ends.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

 


Yea, high SQ can do that.  If you really want to try the universals don't listen to your custom IEMs for a day or two and then see how the W3 sounds...

 

I am not sure if the EM4 has DBA-02 treble, but even if it does the amount of bass doesn't give the same overall balance. 



 

post #866 of 4815
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

 


Yea, high SQ can do that.  If you really want to try the universals don't listen to your custom IEMs for a day or two and then see how the W3 sounds...

 

I suppose I could always just get the universals remolded so that I could tolerate listening to them. ksc75smile.gif

 

post #867 of 4815

Hello guys and gal. I am looking for a new pair of IEM and I was thinking to get the UE pro 4 or the AC2. 

 

However I found out that they only have 2! Driver on each side, so my new plans is to get the NEW Sony XBA 4SL with the quad driver and then get it remolded into customs.

 

Can you guys help a noob here ? Is my plan a good one or not ? Price range is about 500$

post #868 of 4815
Hi Joe ,
Would like to ask how you rate SE5 , em3pro and the Hidition NT6pro ?
Currently a TF10 user looking for a upgrade and I liked the sound signature
As I don't hav the chances of listening to the demo pieces, so asking opinion of yours to which more suitable for me ?
post #869 of 4815
Quote:
Originally Posted by xatlx View Post

Hello guys and gal. I am looking for a new pair of IEM and I was thinking to get the UE pro 4 or the AC2. 

 

However I found out that they only have 2! Driver on each side, so my new plans is to get the NEW Sony XBA 4SL with the quad driver and then get it remolded into customs.

 

Can you guys help a noob here ? Is my plan a good one or not ? Price range is about 500$



The Sony XBA 4SL uses proprietary/custom BA drivers so it's probably not possible to get it remoulded into customs.

post #870 of 4815
Hey Joe, how did you order the Hidition NT6? I could only find their web page in Korean and I'm interested on getting the NT6 Pro..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)