or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information) - Page 56

post #826 of 4815
Thread Starter 

I have neither the FX700 or EX1000 as I stated previously, and didn't have them at the same time hence I didn't compare them.  I believe joker did and I can't say I would disagree with what he wrote.  And the Copper isolates better than the FX700.

 

Just a thought...the aud-5X can compete with custom IEMs that are more expensive and offers exceptional value with a good deal better sound quality than the FX700 or EX1000 with better isolation.  Better isolation = lower volume and safer for your long term hearing health.  Resale value of course is less, but you would be getting one of the best CIEM values, and it has extended treble.  The EX1000 treble isn't all that extended BTW and the aud-5X should be an easier load on your iPod than either of the universals.

post #827 of 4815
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

I have neither the FX700 or EX1000 as I stated previously, and didn't have them at the same time hence I didn't compare them.  I believe joker did and I can't say I would disagree with what he wrote.  And the Copper isolates better than the FX700.

 

Just a thought...the aud-5X can compete with custom IEMs that are more expensive and offers exceptional value with a good deal better sound quality than the FX700 or EX1000 with better isolation.  Better isolation = lower volume and safer for your long term hearing health.  Resale value of course is less, but you would be getting one of the best CIEM values, and it has extended treble.  The EX1000 treble isn't all that extended BTW and the aud-5X should be an easier load on your iPod than either of the universals.


I just dont really want to buy a custom at the moment. I kind of changed my mind. I dont think there is an alternative to FX700 (big bass, big treble combination). 

can you think of a universal that replaces FX700?

 

and for the isolation, have you ever wore it on the bus or outside? Can you hear what word people are saying a meter away from you?

 

post #828 of 4815
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini0510 View Post


I just dont really want to buy a custom at the moment. I kind of changed my mind. I dont think there is an alternative to FX700 (big bass, big treble combination). 

can you think of a universal that replaces FX700?

 

and for the isolation, have you ever wore it on the bus or outside? Can you hear what word people are saying a meter away from you?


As I said before, anatomy plays a role in isolation.  However, depending on the volume you listen at you can drown out just about any outside noise.  The problem with something like the FX700 is that since it is open you will hear outside noises and that will degrade the sound and distract you.  The natural reaction is to turn the music up to compensate, which is where hearing damage comes into play.  You may not care now, but hearing loss is an issue for so many people these days because of iPods.  A custom IEM or some universals will isolate quite a bit more and allow you to listen at a lower volume.  I read a quote on a shooting forum that went something like this: Spend whatever you have to now to protect your ears because it is no fun having to smile and nod when people smile at you, laugh when you see others laugh, and not be able to communicate properly.  OK, enough of my lecture, but I think many people need education on hearing loss (including musicians that crank up audio through their custom IEMs).

 

post #829 of 4815

When wearing the FX700's with no music, it is quite easy to have conversations. With music playing it depends on how loud it is. The FXT90 isolates much better IMO and offers somewhat the same sound signature with a bit less bass. Personally I wouldn't get the 700's for wearing in buses or crowded public places but ymmv and others may disagree.

post #830 of 4815
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post


As I said before, anatomy plays a role in isolation.  However, depending on the volume you listen at you can drown out just about any outside noise.  The problem with something like the FX700 is that since it is open you will hear outside noises and that will degrade the sound and distract you.  The natural reaction is to turn the music up to compensate, which is where hearing damage comes into play.  You may not care now, but hearing loss is an issue for so many people these days because of iPods.  A custom IEM or some universals will isolate quite a bit more and allow you to listen at a lower volume.  I read a quote on a shooting forum that went something like this: Spend whatever you have to now to protect your ears because it is no fun having to smile and nod when people smile at you, laugh when you see others laugh, and not be able to communicate properly.  OK, enough of my lecture, but I think many people need education on hearing loss (including musicians that crank up audio through their custom IEMs).

 


Currently I listen with my coppers with 30% to 50% volume on my iPod Touch on the bus and street. So maybe 40% - 60% with FX700?

Klipsch S4 is weird, so loud even at 25% = copper at 40% volume.

 

heres an random article about hearing dangers. Theres lots of similar ones on google.

http://www.cochlea.org/en/watch-out-danger.html

 


Edited by Mini0510 - 12/18/11 at 11:53pm
post #831 of 4815

average_joe, How do you decide what iems you are going to get when you pick a supplier? Do you pick randomly, or is there a method to your madness? I am going to get something from Heir Audio, but I am also considering getting something from Alien Ears as well maybe the SQ4 or SQ5. Do you have any thoughts on that?

post #832 of 4815
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

 


Were the details distorted only with the JH13?  And it sounds like you have a bunch of toys on the way to compliment your current and future custom IEMs, but tough decisions on the termination type.  There are plenty of custom IEMs out there, what sound signature are you looking for?

 

That would be the million dollar question. I am not sure what sound signature hence my dilema on what CIEM to get. No I did not notice the distortion with the JH13, but then everything seems clearer with the JH16, maybe a cable thing. I need to do some further listening to try and determine where the breakdown lies. 

post #833 of 4815
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedingredline View Post

average_joe, How do you decide what iems you are going to get when you pick a supplier? Do you pick randomly, or is there a method to your madness? I am going to get something from Heir Audio, but I am also considering getting something from Alien Ears as well maybe the SQ4 or SQ5. Do you have any thoughts on that?


Various manufacturers are of interest to me, especially if there are no head-fi reviews or little information on the particular CIEM.  Also, I do want to stay away from the CIEMs that I have read aren't all that great since there are plenty that are good.  These days I am focusing primarily on new products, however there are certain existing products I really want to review.  I have read not so positive things about the Alien Ears products from people that own other custom IEMs and know one person that said they were OK but not great, however no one that I know owns the SQ5, so you never know.  The aud-5x is in the same price range, same # of drivers, and I think it sounds very good for the price.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedingredline View Post

That would be the million dollar question. I am not sure what sound signature hence my dilema on what CIEM to get. No I did not notice the distortion with the JH13, but then everything seems clearer with the JH16, maybe a cable thing. I need to do some further listening to try and determine where the breakdown lies. 


The best way to figure that out is to get a bunch of universal IEMs and try to figure it out.  Also, figuring out the JH13 issue could save you some money, but also not having the JH16 molded for your ear could be reducing the amount of bass.  Do you think it is very bass heavy, especially in comparison with the JH13?

 

post #834 of 4815
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini0510 View Post


Currently I listen with my coppers with 30% to 50% volume on my iPod Touch on the bus and street. So maybe 40% - 60% with FX700?

Klipsch S4 is weird, so loud even at 25% = copper at 40% volume.

 

heres an random article about hearing dangers. Theres lots of similar ones on google.

http://www.cochlea.org/en/watch-out-danger.html


Nice article, do you know how loud the 30 to 50% is with the copper in dB?  It would seem the better isolation of a custom IEM would be beneficial in allowing you to play your music at lower volumes, even with louder background noise.

 

BTW, the Copper is a relatively hard to drive IEM and would benefit quite a bit from a good amp, even at the same volume level.

 

post #835 of 4815

Hi Joe, which would be the best earphone to listen jazz straight out of an ipod classic? Since I have a massive music collection, my only choice of player would be the classics. However, the classics have a lean, bass-weak and sterile signature IMO, and since the EQ in apple products are literally useless, pairing is exceptionally important and I tend to pair the classics with slightly dark and warm iems. Can you tell me which iem (preferably European companies since I could get them without VAT, which means 20% off) could compensate for the weaknesses of ipod classic ( or any apple products since their sound signatures are pretty much the same) and sound neutral (preferably a bit to the warm side), with a balanced frequency and good detail reveal?

post #836 of 4815
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

 


Nice article, do you know how loud the 30 to 50% is with the copper in dB?  It would seem the better isolation of a custom IEM would be beneficial in allowing you to play your music at lower volumes, even with louder background noise.

 

BTW, the Copper is a relatively hard to drive IEM and would benefit quite a bit from a good amp, even at the same volume level.

 


I think 35%-40% copper is around 60dB which is normal speaking. But depends on the music though, I need more volume for hip pop music.

My right ear Copper isn't working anymore but I remember I did compare it with people speaking around me because I dont want to damage my hearing.

 

Someone else said they listen to FX700 at 50%-70%. I think I'll keep the music volume in less than 70dB. I mean I listen to stock apple earbuds with almost zero isolation at 65%-75% on street and buses. The FX700 is going to have more isolation than stock Apple earbuds.

post #837 of 4815
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainykchan View Post

Hi Joe, which would be the best earphone to listen jazz straight out of an ipod classic? Since I have a massive music collection, my only choice of player would be the classics. However, the classics have a lean, bass-weak and sterile signature IMO, and since the EQ in apple products are literally useless, pairing is exceptionally important and I tend to pair the classics with slightly dark and warm iems. Can you tell me which iem (preferably European companies since I could get them without VAT, which means 20% off) could compensate for the weaknesses of ipod classic ( or any apple products since their sound signatures are pretty much the same) and sound neutral (preferably a bit to the warm side), with a balanced frequency and good detail reveal?


Earsonics products would fit the bill and the Minerva Mi-3 is also has a warm sound.  The Starkey products really need a good amp to shine, so they are out.  The Spiral Ear products would fit also, but they are not necessarily as warm as others, but true to the source/music and has the best detail retrieval I have heard and makes lower end sources sound better than with other custom IEMs.  I like the Fabs for Jazz from my iPhone.

 

I am starting to appreciate the EM4 from Earsonics and I should have the ACS T1 Live! arriving soon, which is also supposedly warm.

 

What is your price range and when are you planning on buying?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini0510 View Post

I think 35%-40% copper is around 60dB which is normal speaking. But depends on the music though, I need more volume for hip pop music.

My right ear Copper isn't working anymore but I remember I did compare it with people speaking around me because I dont want to damage my hearing.

 

Someone else said they listen to FX700 at 50%-70%. I think I'll keep the music volume in less than 70dB. I mean I listen to stock apple earbuds with almost zero isolation at 65%-75% on street and buses. The FX700 is going to have more isolation than stock Apple earbuds.


Yea, most things have more isolation than stock earbuds.  I am not sure about the dB levels, did you measure (or did they measure) or are those guesses/estimations?

post #838 of 4815
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

Yea, most things have more isolation than stock earbuds.  I am not sure about the dB levels, did you measure (or did they measure) or are those guesses/estimations?


i estimated of course. Even with Turbines on at 50%, I can hear traffic just slightly. Therefore it shouldn't damage my hearing.

 

post #839 of 4815
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

 


Earsonics products would fit the bill and the Minerva Mi-3 is also has a warm sound.  The Starkey products really need a good amp to shine, so they are out.  The Spiral Ear products would fit also, but they are not necessarily as warm as others, but true to the source/music and has the best detail retrieval I have heard and makes lower end sources sound better than with other custom IEMs.  I like the Fabs for Jazz from my iPhone.

 

I am starting to appreciate the EM4 from Earsonics and I should have the ACS T1 Live! arriving soon, which is also supposedly warm.

 

What is your price range and when are you planning on buying?

 


My price range is around $1000 and I'm planning to get something from Earsonics at the moment. The EM4 sounds really good, but I've heard comments of it for being a bit bass shy and bright, and if that's true, I'm very sure that I wouldn't like it paired with my already bass shy and bright ipod. For the em3pro or the Mi-3, I'm afraid they don't deliver enough speed or detail for speedy jazz tracks. I still have doubts about the spiral ear products because I'm afraid that they are not warm enough for my taste. 

 

Actually, I still have the imod/ Rx combo with me, but I'm planning to sell them and get an ipod classic since I felt that the combo is an overkill for the DBA02 I'm using now. Does the addition of an amp add a jump in sq of customs? If that's the case, I might just stay with the combo since the 2nd hand price of the combo isn't satisfactory anyway. 

 

post #840 of 4815

^So you have the EM4 already?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)