or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information) - Page 37

post #541 of 4815
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post

ave_joe's 5driver DRM Earz is the most affordable right now (?). I'm waiting for his review on that one. That could upset my stance if ever biggrin.gif

 


Yeah, same here!

 

post #542 of 4815

Looking forward to your review on the NT6 Pro's. Look very promising.

post #543 of 4815
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemshemems View Post

I cant pass judgement on a dap i havnt heard i know, but im used to hifi gear from the US with a too much bass emphasis that i needed to calm down with my cd player.

 

And maybe i have my head stuck up my butt by not testing the HM-801, but its a US product and i really have my own reasons not to just go for this.

 

Teclast 51 is also a unit i've been looking up on, but it also has its issues that makes me wanna wait and look elsewhere, Teclast 59 is that a unit that heals some of the issues of the 51?

 

I need an amp or a dap with a decent amp section thats for sure, but as of now im still looking for the perfect companion..


Synergy is a big part of how things sound together.  Feed the SA-43 with a mediocre source and you will get mediocre sound, with a great source and you will get great sound.  I don't have a problem with toomuch bass or lack of treble with the 801, but that doesn't mean that either the 601 or 602 will sound the same.  An aftermarket cable may be a good bet for brightening the sound.  I will soon update the TWag cable review, adding the SA-43 and will be posting reviews of the Silver Dragon and Chris Himself cables in the near future.

 

I believe part of the issue may be that you are used to an IEM that has very little note thickness in the bass so when presented with a more realistic (to my ears) note decay the sound is automatically thickened.  Maybe listening at a lower volume will result in less perceived bass due to loudness curves.  I have found that with the more detailed and better custom IEMs I tend to listen at quieter volumes as they are much more understandable.

 

And thanks for sharing the pic!  Keep us updated.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerid View Post

Hey joe, I have a question for you. Does it matter what type of LOD I get? I don't know much about it and there are some low profile ones for around $50 and some over $100. What are the differences, what do you recommend using for iphone->possibly arrow/pico slim->SA43? Thanks. 


Yes and no.  The iPhone isn't the most resolving thing so any decent grade cable should be OK.  You can tilt the sound with silver wire for example, or some copper LODs do sound better than others, but the differences are fairly small IMO.  I made my own with silver armature wire (3 wires braid per channel, braided) and compared with some loaners that cost up to $300 and thought mine sounded better evil_smiley.gif  Maybe inquire with Chris Himself or the Silver Dragon.

 

 

And I am trying to work my way out of my review hole as my time to review was reduced plus I was fighting a lingering cold but things are back on track. 


Edited by average_joe - 10/5/11 at 10:05pm
post #544 of 4815

 

Quote:

Synergy is a big part of how things sound together.  Feed the SA-43 with a mediocre source and you will get mediocre sound, with a great source and you will get great sound.  I don't have a problem with toomuch bass or lack of treble with the 801, but that doesn't mean that either the 601 or 602 will sound the same.  An aftermarket cable may be a good bet for brightening the sound.  I will soon update the TWag cable review, adding the SA-43 and will be posting reviews of the Silver Dragon and Chris Himself cables in the near future.

 

I believe part of the issue may be that you are used to an IEM that has very little note thickness in the bass so when presented with a more realistic (to my ears) note decay the sound is automatically thickened.  Maybe listening at a lower volume will result in less perceived bass due to loudness curves.  I have found that with the more detailed and better custom IEMs I tend to listen at quieter volumes as they are much more understandable.

 

And thanks for sharing the pic!  Keep us updated.

 

I've just been listening to the Touch/Fostex and AHA-120 for the last hour, the bass resolution is somewhat better, even with the bass switch on, but im not keeping 2 units so im on the verge of ordering the AHA-120, so it can be shipped to my work in the uk...

 

The AHA-120 sounds quite good, but its through a superior source as of now..

 

I hope i get the parts i need today to fix a diy lod for my Touch so i can connect it to the 120 later...

 

Thanks for your very insightfull reply's, i need all the help i can get and well i just started this head-fi, because im never home so my expensive hifi in the livingroom is getting sold..

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #545 of 4815

Hey joe, how do you think the AOL Audio RX MK (I) will match with the sa43?

post #546 of 4815
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerid View Post

Hey joe, how do you think the AOL Audio RX MK (I) will match with the sa43?


 

I have no idea.  The RX was average with some IEMs back when I had it and spectacular with the e-Q7.  I felt that since it didn't really beat the Arrow for the majority of my IEMs at the time I didn't need it, but maybe I will revisit in the next several months.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemshemems View Post

 

I've just been listening to the Touch/Fostex and AHA-120 for the last hour, the bass resolution is somewhat better, even with the bass switch on, but im not keeping 2 units so im on the verge of ordering the AHA-120, so it can be shipped to my work in the uk...

 

The AHA-120 sounds quite good, but its through a superior source as of now..

 

I hope i get the parts i need today to fix a diy lod for my Touch so i can connect it to the 120 later...

 

Thanks for your very insightfull reply's, i need all the help i can get and well i just started this head-fi, because im never home so my expensive hifi in the livingroom is getting sold..

 

 

 

I am sure the AHA-120 is nice as I really like the uHA-120.  Keep us updated!

post #547 of 4815

Hi average_joe, 

 

Don't know if it has been said, but the two last IEM in your custom review summary (eg Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference and Wan Zaun WX I9PRO) are cut (as at the very beginning), and the prices of the Unique Melody UK IEMS have to be updated : on their website, the prices are lower than stated (not considering their launch promo).

post #548 of 4815
Hi Joe, for listening Radiohead songs which one is better between EM3pro or UERM if I want to really connected with Tom's vocals and soundstage that gives truly 3D ambience?
post #549 of 4815
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnegy View Post

Hi average_joe, 

 

Don't know if it has been said, but the two last IEM in your custom review summary (eg Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference and Wan Zaun WX I9PRO) are cut (as at the very beginning), and the prices of the Unique Melody UK IEMS have to be updated : on their website, the prices are lower than stated (not considering their launch promo).


Thanks for noticing, sometimes when I update the post strange things happen.  UM pricing has been updated.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprasetya View Post

Hi Joe, for listening Radiohead songs which one is better between EM3pro or UERM if I want to really connected with Tom's vocals and soundstage that gives truly 3D ambience?


Both have very nice 3D presentations and both couldn't be more different.  Have you had a chance to read my UERM review where I compare the EM3 Pro with the UERM?  The EM3 portrays ambiance better than the UERM, but the overall presentation is much different, so if you like a warmer presentation, EM3, a brighter more analytical presentation the UERM.

post #550 of 4815

hey joe, u gonna get the new EM4 anytime soon?? smily_headphones1.gif

post #551 of 4815

It seems the SA-43 is pretty much everything I have ever wanted, I am weary about the price tag though, naturally. I was looking for the custom with the absolute largest stage, but again over a grand might be pushing it for my budget and I might want to try the 1964 ears or maybe the yet cheaper livewires first...not sure what to do.  


Edited by swbf2cheater - 10/12/11 at 3:56pm
post #552 of 4815
Thread Starter 

Mmmm..EM4.  It sure sounds good from the description, we shall see.

 

And any SA-43 owners care to add any more comments about the SA-43?  One of the weaknesses of the SA-43 IMO (if you can call it a weakness) is it needs a good amp to really show what it can do.  Hemshemems, are your ears better?

 

And if you want to spend less throw the i9pro (review this week) and aud-5X into the mix...

post #553 of 4815
Thread Starter 

Wan Xuan (Beat Audio) wx i9pro review summary updated in the first post and full review posted here.  Custom-IEM.com has a launch promotion on the i9pro now for only $589!

 

Next up...several cable reviews...

post #554 of 4815

Whew! Upgrade to: EM3 Pro biggrin.gif

Many thanks for another wonderful/great review/read/effort.

post #555 of 4815
Thread Starter 

Yes, I am trying out a new way to help people decide.  The i9pro is different than the EM3 Pro, but they do have somewhat similar strengths and weaknesses to go along with a somewhat similar frequency response ;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)