or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information) - Page 34

post #496 of 4815
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemshemems View Post


Its a bit more "simple" when importing from the the US, Canada, China, 2-12% custom charge, and 25%VAT, there is tax on the shipment too, globalisation and open markets my butt..

 

But its nice we have some good costums here in Europe that can compete, instead of all only focusing on JH, UE ect. But its not usually worth the effort with these import issues and the price will never be the same for us here..

 

Im home tomorrow at noon, but i need some days to get used to them, so ill get back later..


Until then happy listening!

 

post #497 of 4815
Thread Starter 

What is this?

 

P1000989.JPG

 

If you guessed the DRM Earz 4X, you would be wrong.  This is the new flagship, the aud-5X.  So new it isn't on the site yet...

 

P1000990.JPG P1000991.JPG P1000992.JPG P1000994.JPG

 

The 5X has has 5 drivers (2 dual drivers and a single sub-bass driver) and 4 crossover points for $565.  I will be reviewing it in the near future but wanted to mention that it sounds very good.  And I know it says 4X on the shell, but I can see the 5 drivers and it will be called 5X.

post #498 of 4815

5drivers for USD565?! Wow!

post #499 of 4815

 

Are you going to add Unique Melody line up to your collection soon? Words on the UM Miracle seems pretty good.

 

post #500 of 4815
Thread Starter 

There are a lot of custom IEMs I still want to review...Unique Melody, Westone, ACS, and Compact Monitors to name a few.  I do think I have a good idea about the Miracle/Merlin from hearing the demos, hearing jokers Miracle, and talking with joker about the sound signature.  But, I won't know the true performance until I get one molded for my ears!

post #501 of 4815

Please do, get all of them. biggrin.gif

I don't think there is anyone with that many custom earphones as you are. I will be waiting for the review of DRM aud-5X, for that price you are getting a lot.

post #502 of 4815

Hi there Average_Joe

 

I have read as much of your review, and other threads as i can at this point and I am asking for your advice on my current dilema.

 

1 year ago, I pre-ordered the JH3A/16, and as you may be aware it is still delayed with no end in sight.  I am very close to pulling the plug and taking that $1800 and getting a different set of customs.

 

My current rig is:  LCD-2 r2. SR71B balanced out via Ipod LOD.   I have a Cavalli Audio Stacker II on the way which if you dont know is often compared in the class of the liquid fire, and the people i have talked to call it more musical than the LF, and also better than a beta22.. in other words, its a good amp.

 

My plan is to get a CLAS to act as the dac for both my LCD-2 rig, and my customs.

 

To me customs that sounded most like the LCD-2 rig,  or like orthos in general woudl be ideal - very even frequency response, excellent sub bass, full musical sound rather than overly tight and "sterile".  liquid, realistic mids,  etc..etc...  im sure you have discussed this topic ad nausium by now

 

In reading all your reviews the 2 that jump out at me are the starkey sa-43, and the spiral ear 5ways which it seems i couldnt get even if i wanted due to my USA location.

 

I am really torn between sticking it out for the 3A and looking into other customs, of which there are SOOOOO many and involve taking a big risk.

i really get the feeling the 3A may be a little too.. well jh16'ey sounding .. given all the reviews i have read about them.

 

THE Unique melody series, particularly the merlin, or that new 14mm dynamic IEM also sound very promising.

 

my rig would end up being - customs, sr71b, clas, ipod...

 

So.. I ask of you, oh custom IEM connoisseur, what say you?

 

thanks a lot.  Your contribution to the world of Custom buyers is HUGELY appreciated.

I would be completely lost without this post among others.

 


Edited by Br777 - 9/30/11 at 3:27pm
post #503 of 4815
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br777 View Post

Hi there Average_Joe

 

I have read as much of your review, and other threads as i can at this point and I am asking for your advice on my current dilema.

 

1 year ago, I pre-ordered the JH3A/16, and as you may be aware it is still delayed with no end in sight.  I am very close to pulling the plug and taking that $1800 and getting a different set of customs.

 

My current rig is:  LCD-2 r2. SR71B balanced out via Ipod LOD.   I have a Cavalli Audio Stacker II on the way which if you dont know is often compared in the class of the liquid fire, and the people i have talked to call it more musical than the LF, and also better than a beta22.. in other words, its a good amp.

 

My plan is to get a CLAS to act as the dac for both my LCD-2 rig, and my customs.

 

To me customs that sounded most like the LCD-2 rig,  or like orthos in general woudl be ideal - very even frequency response, excellent sub bass, full musical sound rather than overly tight and "sterile".  liquid, realistic mids,  etc..etc...  im sure you have discussed this topic ad nausium by now

 

In reading all your reviews the 2 that jump out at me are the starkey sa-43, and the spiral ear 5ways which it seems i couldnt get even if i wanted due to my USA location.

 

I am really torn between sticking it out for the 3A and looking into other customs, of which there are SOOOOO many and involve taking a big risk.

i really get the feeling the 3A may be a little too.. well jh16'ey sounding .. given all the reviews i have read about them.

 

THE Unique melody series, particularly the merlin, or that new 14mm dynamic IEM also sound very promising.

 

my rig would end up being - customs, sr71b, clas, ipod...

 

So.. I ask of you, oh custom IEM connoisseur, what say you?

 

thanks a lot.  Your contribution to the world of Custom buyers is HUGELY appreciated.

I would be completely lost without this post among others.


You are welcome, thank you for reading!  Spending on the 3A indicates you want the best sound you can get, and I do hear a correlation between price and performance.  I have a chart where I have my technical scores (I will post it some day, but it isn't ready at the moment) as well as sound signature ratings.  Technically the SA-43 is close to the LS8, UERM, and JH16, but all 4 have different sound signatures.  The SA-43 is close in soundstage size to the LCD-2 V1 to my ears and doesn't do anything wrong and the sound signatures are similar, but the bass isn't quite to the LCD-2 level.  The EM3 Pro is similar in sound signature but the LCD-2 is technically superior and there is a fairly large soundstage size difference.

 

The UERM, JH16, and LS8 are all different in sound being much brighter and for the most part a good deal thinner in note.  This leaves the 5-way, which is difficult to obtain (unless you know someone within the EU) which to my ears is superior to the LCD-2, but isn't as spacious.  However it sounds more natural and realistic with better transparency, detail, clarity, dynamics, imaging, etc to me when comparing with the Anedio D1 as a source/amp.

 

The 5-way is more liquid and richer than the SA-43 even though the presentations styles are fairly close.  Treble extension is better with the 5-way, which is brighter and the 5-way has more bass capability to go with more detail/resolution.  But that is not saying the SA-43 is a slouch.  There should be additional thoughts on the SA-43 in the near future from Hemshemems.

post #504 of 4815

thanks for that ^ - even with all your explaination, i am still finding myself drawn more the the UM miracle than anything. 

I have heard lots of people describe it in ways that appeals to me, and i think their stellar reputation is playing a big factor as well.

 

no matter which i get, i cant wait to see what the SR71B and CLAS rig can throw at them.   If the 71B's performance with the LCD-2 is any indication, I'm in for a treat.

 

The trickiest part of this whole process is going to be getting to the audiologist.. wish me luck!

 

gosh waiting a whole month for customs sounds grueling, but after waiting a year with no payoff, i bet the month will breeze right by!


Edited by Br777 - 9/30/11 at 11:17pm
post #505 of 4815

^After all, UM Miracle is a miracle customs w/ 6drivers biggrin.gif

post #506 of 4815
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

What is this?

 

P1000989.JPG

 

If you guessed the DRM Earz 4X, you would be wrong.  This is the new flagship, the aud-5X.  So new it isn't on the site yet...

 

P1000990.JPG P1000991.JPG P1000992.JPG P1000994.JPG

 

The 5X has has 5 drivers (2 dual drivers and a single sub-bass driver) and 4 crossover points for $565.  I will be reviewing it in the near future but wanted to mention that it sounds very good.  And I know it says 4X on the shell, but I can see the 5 drivers and it will be called 5X.

Woha! Do I see Sonion 3800? The most powerful and the biggest dual driver on the market? These have to bass monsters. 5drivers, 4way, 3bores. It must sound good. And wait $560?! That's an awesome deal.

I wonder how it compares with Quads or Merlin.

 

post #507 of 4815
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br777 View Post

thanks for that ^ - even with all your explaination, i am still finding myself drawn more the the UM miracle than anything. 

I have heard lots of people describe it in ways that appeals to me, and i think their stellar reputation is playing a big factor as well.

 

no matter which i get, i cant wait to see what the SR71B and CLAS rig can throw at them.   If the 71B's performance with the LCD-2 is any indication, I'm in for a treat.

 

The trickiest part of this whole process is going to be getting to the audiologist.. wish me luck!

 

gosh waiting a whole month for customs sounds grueling, but after waiting a year with no payoff, i bet the month will breeze right by!


Out of curiosity, what is drawing you to the Miracle?  I think I have a decent understanding of where it stands within the custom realm from my experience with joker's and talking with him about how he hears them, and it seems they are very similar to the EM3 Pro but with less warmth resulting in better clarity and maybe a little less forward projection (the EM3 Pro is amazing in this regard).  But of course without hearing one in my own ears I can't be sure exactly where the Miracle ranks.  Of course I am sure you will like the Miracle if you like the LCD-2 as they should be fairly similar in frequency response and note thickness.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrus-g View Post

Woha! Do I see Sonion 3800? The most powerful and the biggest dual driver on the market? These have to bass monsters. 5drivers, 4way, 3bores. It must sound good. And wait $560?! That's an awesome deal.

I wonder how it compares with Quads or Merlin.

 


I don't know what the actual drivers are and haven't tried to look or ask, but the largest driver you can see is a single driver with a dual next to it.  It can pump out quite a bit of bass, not quite as much as the 14mm i9pro, but surprisingly close.

post #508 of 4815
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

 


Out of curiosity, what is drawing you to the Miracle?  I think I have a decent understanding of where it stands within the custom realm from my experience with joker's and talking with him about how he hears them, and it seems they are very similar to the EM3 Pro but with less warmth resulting in better clarity and maybe a little less forward projection (the EM3 Pro is amazing in this regard).  But of course without hearing one in my own ears I can't be sure exactly where the Miracle ranks.  Of course I am sure you will like the Miracle if you like the LCD-2 as they should be fairly similar in frequency response and note thickness.

 

 



 

well part of the reason i finally cancelled my JH3A preorder, among many others ;-) , was that all the reviews of the 16's and especially the 3A make it seem like it leans towards very precise, very fast, and therefore less smoothe and musical... great for rock, agressive music but maybe not ideal for jazz, female vocals, smoothe music...  this is the kind of sound i do not like.. i have experienced it and its not for me.

alternatively the reviews for the miracle seem to say it has everything i want...

excellent bass and bass extension

smoother more lush sound while still maintaining excellent seperation and detail retrevial and not sounding dark.

excellent frequency balance - people say they are quite neutral

great soundstage

 

it just sounds like its getting really solid reviews all around, and sounds like it will make an excellent companion to the LCD-2.  As in it will sound at least pretty close to it.

 

tie all that in to the fact that UM has an exceptional reputation, and their customer service people are being very fast and helpful with all my questions, and I'm pretty much sold.

I will probably be putting my order in in the next few days.

 

and of course the price is right - basically half the price of the JH3A.

 

I would probably go with the 5-way if it was possible, and the only other real contender for me right now is the sa-43, and i just feel more comfortable going with UM when it comes down to it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #509 of 4815

Hello...

 

I Havnt listened much to my Starkey SA-43 yet, and as of now im charging my borrowed amps and need to fix some jack cables and lod for later testing..

 

But out of the Touch i didnt fall down of my chair and i needed 90% volume for normal listening, so i can see im inclined to upgrade right now amp wise...

 

I do need to find a very neutral setup, and i dont even like the added bassboost right now, but i need to get used to the fit and sound, and coming from Ety's with a thin soundstage and no bass, takes some time to used to..

 

 


Edited by Hemshemems - 10/2/11 at 1:00am
post #510 of 4815
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br777 View Post

well part of the reason i finally cancelled my JH3A preorder, among many others ;-) , was that all the reviews of the 16's and especially the 3A make it seem like it leans towards very precise, very fast, and therefore less smoothe and musical... great for rock, agressive music but maybe not ideal for jazz, female vocals, smoothe music...  this is the kind of sound i do not like.. i have experienced it and its not for me.

alternatively the reviews for the miracle seem to say it has everything i want...

excellent bass and bass extension

smoother more lush sound while still maintaining excellent seperation and detail retrevial and not sounding dark.

excellent frequency balance - people say they are quite neutral

great soundstage

 

it just sounds like its getting really solid reviews all around, and sounds like it will make an excellent companion to the LCD-2.  As in it will sound at least pretty close to it.

 

tie all that in to the fact that UM has an exceptional reputation, and their customer service people are being very fast and helpful with all my questions, and I'm pretty much sold.

I will probably be putting my order in in the next few days.

 

and of course the price is right - basically half the price of the JH3A.

 

I would probably go with the 5-way if it was possible, and the only other real contender for me right now is the sa-43, and i just feel more comfortable going with UM when it comes down to it.

 

Yes, I am imagining the sound signature of the JH-3A is similar to that of the JH13/JH16 which is fairly different than that of the LCD-2.  And the reason I asked about the description is because I have heard many high end customs and feel they all offer excellent bass and extension, smooth and lush sound, etc, basically amazing sound.  Balanced is a funny audiophile term as your balanced may not be my (or anyone else's) balanced.  I do feel the LCD-2 V1 is on the warmer side of neutral and slightly on the darker side while the JH16 is on the brighter side and pretty close to neutral as far as warmth.  Someday, hopefully, I will hear my own Miracle so I really know but at the moment I have a lot of other reviews on my plate.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemshemems View Post

Hello...

 

I Havnt listened much to my Starkey SA-43 yet, and as of now im charging my borrowed amps and need to fix some jack cables and lod for later testing..

 

But out of the Touch i didnt fall down of my chair and i needed 90% volume for normal listening, so i can see im inclined to upgrade right now amp wise...

 

I do need to find a very neutral setup, and i dont even like the added bassboost right now, but i need to get used to the fit and sound, and coming from Ety's with a thin soundstage and no bass, takes some time to used to..


I am not surprised as I find the sound out of the touch to be similar but more colored than my iPhone and the iPhone 4 I have listened to.  Here is my iPhone source matching write-up from my review:

 

 

Quote:
iPhone 3G: Very poor combination that lacks detail and dynamics, the imaging/instrument placement/spaciousness is dramatically affected negatively, and the bass quality takes a plunge.  The bass switch doesn’t do all that much and there isn’t a whole lot of rumble, even with the switch on.  I listened to about 10 tracks and never want to hear that combo again.  The SA-43 sounds like a $20 IEM at best IMO from the iPhone 3G.  1/10

 

The iPhone & Sa-43 is one of the worst combinations I have heard.  And is it the added bass boost on the SA-43, or the player?  And yes, the high end customs all make the Ety's sound thin, lacking soundstage depth, and bass to my, lol.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)