Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review... - Page 252

post #3766 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrus-g View Post

Are those IEMs closed-back or they have vents in the shell? You report huge soundstage. UM Merlin have also very big and specious imaging but for the cost of being open, is this the case here?

They have vents. RTI1, wan Xuan I9 pro and R^2 also have vents.
post #3767 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post

Nice write up Metalboy.

Rhapsodio RTI1 seems interesting with that complete titanium shell. Too bad, it is probably not bassy enough for me and has piercing highs.

The RD3 is the same line as the RTi1 dynamic driver line. RD3 has a very full sounding bass to it

Metalboy what makes u give the titanium shells a 6/10 for build? Just curious as i personally quite like it.
post #3768 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotnijoe View Post


The RD3 is the same line as the RTi1 dynamic driver line. RD3 has a very full sounding bass to it

Metalboy what makes u give the titanium shells a 6/10 for build? Just curious as i personally quite like it.

 

Mine is acrylic. There are some imperfections on the shells. But great quality is not really important to me. Its just a small bonus.  

post #3769 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalboy View Post
 

Picked these up yesterday. Kumitate Lab Hybrid.

3 balanced armatures and 2 dynamic drivers. 

 

They sound almost too good to be true for 540$ (the faceplates cost extra) 

 

I wondered who the Swedish person that he referred to in his tweet was.

 

Mine are the ones on top of yours (I'm a bit jealous of your faceplates though). They just landed here this afternoon and assuming customs doesn't feel the need to hold onto it for too long they should be at my front door tomorrow.

post #3770 of 4010

I haven't posted much in this thread lately, so I figure I'm due. Here's a few pics of my latest customs.

 

 

 

Lear LCM-BD4.2 - quad balanced armature plus dual dynamic, vented shell, with adjustable bass tuning, titanium faceplate:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Noble Kaiser 10 - 10 drivers per side, with a fairly understated (but looks better in real life) sparkle design which I call "Cosmic Swirl":

 

 

 

 

 

 

Noble 5C with Switch option - 5 driver design, plus the Switch option which enables a completely different crossover with single-driver "Reference" sound, faceplate is also a "Cosmic Swirl" but this time a little more bold:

 

 

 

 

 

Reviews to come on all of them, eventually. 

post #3771 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
 

I haven't posted much in this thread lately, so I figure I'm due. Here's a few pics of my latest customs.

 

 

 

Lear LCM-BD4.2 - quad balanced armature plus dual dynamic, vented shell, with adjustable bass tuning, titanium faceplate:

 

 

 

 

I am very interested in those, when the review will arrive project86? We already have lots of review about Noble products but those 2DD+4BA combination looks nice. I saw they have the universal version too. I will try to check it out and wait for you review.

post #3772 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 

I am very interested in those, when the review will arrive project86? We already have lots of review about Noble products but those 2DD+4BA combination looks nice. I saw they have the universal version too. I will try to check it out and wait for you review.

 

 

They just arrived the other day and I've got a bunch of other stuff in the works prior.... so unfortunately it will be a while.

 

Initial impressions? Surprisingly great, actually. Reminds me of my UM Merlin (which is a prototype, that I find superior to the later, more bass heavy tuning). This is with the bass knob turned to a medium setting. It's got a certain "crispness" reminiscent of the JH13 FreqPhase, but at the same time is less forward sounding.

 

I'll have to get some good pics of the interior but man is this thing complex inside. Must take forever to build one, in comparison to a "standard" 6 driver unit. 


Edited by project86 - 6/28/14 at 6:47am
post #3773 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
 

 

 

They just arrived the other day and I've got a bunch of other stuff in the works prior.... so unfortunately it will be a while.

 

Initial impressions? Surprisingly great, actually. Reminds me of my UM Merlin (which is a prototype, that I find superior to the later, more bass heavy tuning). This is with the bass knob turned to a medium setting. It's got a certain "crispness" reminiscent of the JH13 FreqPhase, but at the same time is less forward sounding.

 

I'll have to get some good pics of the interior but man is this thing complex inside. Must take forever to build one, in comparison to a "standard" 6 driver unit. 


Thanks for the impressions mate. I am looking forward to see your review and comparisons to your other good ciems like Noble 8C JH13FP and all.

post #3774 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post
 

I looked at the site, and Rhapsodios are hybrid(cross between universal and custom), and not custom fit.  That's interesting It performs so well with universal fit.  RTI1, is the bass quality lacking?  What about it's bass do you feel lacking in it?

 

When you say depth, do you mean like a how dynamic the sound comes out? I've noticed this with my NT-6, it gets more dynamic with the right amp.

 

 

It lacks impact, there is not enough bass for me. I mean soundstage depth (depth perception). 

post #3775 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalboy View Post
 

 

 

It lacks impact, there is not enough bass for me. I mean soundstage depth (depth perception). 

You seem like a bass guy so you would know this.  Is it possible to have bass quantity and quality without reducing clarity?  If so, why do you think people say clarity gets lost with bass boost? Which phone do you think has clarity and bass quantity?  The reason I go for neutral is for clarity sake, but if I can get that bass with clarity, I will go for it.  


Edited by SilverEars - 6/28/14 at 12:33pm
post #3776 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post
 

You seem like a bass guy so you would know this.  Is it possible to have bass quantity and quality without reducing clarity?  If so, why do you think people say clarity gets lost with bass boost? Which phone do you think has clarity and bass quantity?  The reason I go for neutral is for clarity sake, but if I can get that bass with clarity, I will go for it.  

 

I´am not really a basshead :) I prefer a little more than neutral. Its very possible to have both clarity and bass quantity. I think that applies more to lower end earphones. My Earsonics EM32 have a lot of bass. (sometimes too much for me) More than all my other ciems but its almost as clear sounding as my NT6 Pro. The NT6 pro is colder and a bit faster though. 

post #3777 of 4010

Hi everyone. I'm looking to move to TOTL and wanted to bounce my thoughts off you. In the bright/analytical camp I'm considering the NT6 Pro and 1plus2 as they seem to get the best feedback. On the warmer side I'm looking at the SE 5way which similarly seems to be at the top. I've done a lot of reading and wanted to see if my impressions are accurate. I listen to pop, rap and heavy metal, and will ONLY be using an unamped phone with Google Music 320 kbps. No interest in getting into AMP/DAC/DAP. I like boosted bass, energy, detail, sparkle without sibilence, large soundstage. I dislike veil/congestion/wall of sound, small soundstage, sibilence, eSSSSSSSSSSy female vocals. I find while I like dynamic/hybrids, they tend to be too slow on heavy metal, resulting in less detail and a veil/wall of sound which I hate. I like to listen at medium to slightly high volume although this may be because I am often in environments with background noise (airplane). I'm not a quiet contemplative listener who sits in a quiet room focused on the music though.

 

NT6 Pro: treble might be harsh and fatiguing, incredible detail and wow factor. Harder to drive than 1plus2 but easier than SE 5way. Soundsig adapts to the music which sounds really smart.

 

1plus2: biggest most impressive soundstage. Otherwise similar to NT6 Pro. Universal (good resale, poor isolation). 

 

SE 5way: incredible detail without being harsh, and easiest to listen for extended periods. Less wow upfront but grows on you over time. Soundstage is smaller than 1plus2 but better/on par with NT6 Pro. Like the NT6 Pro, soundsig seems to adapt to the music. Best isolation and comfort. Hardest to drive. 5way has the most inconsistent reviews - many are thrilled, but more than a few are really really disappointed. This seems to be due to inconsistent anatomy and 5 sound tubes, perhaps the sound tubes get kinked causing a poor experience for some. Only ships to EU, which seems easily overcome by travel/friends/forwarding service.

 

When looking at the broader spectrum of TOTL CIEMs, it seems that from bright/analytical/harsh/airy/open to dark/musical/thick/congested it goes something like:

 

NT6 Pro, NT6, 1plus2, Ref1, SE 5Way, K10, JH Roxanne, Fitear lineup.

 

So the SE 5way is a fairly safe bet being in the middle with similar transparency/detail to the left hand side, without being overly dark and congested like the right hand side (unless you have anatomy problems). Another approach would be to buy some 1plus2 to learn more about my preferences, and resell it. My endgame is CIEM though, which I prefer for comfort and isolation.

 

I'm coming from the Dunu DN1000 which I loved due to the energy, detail and soundstage, but did sound a little eSSSSSSSy at high volume on some tracks with female vocals, so I would prefer a slightly thicker vocal note without losing clarity and detail. On lower volume it was very very enjoyable though.

 

Any thoughts or things I've missed and should consider would be greatly appreciated. And thanks to all the TOTL CIEM mafia who have been super super helpful, patient and generous with their sage wisdom. Thanks for reading. 

post #3778 of 4010

That's some great input. 

 

Yes. SE5 seems to fit the bill. However two things you might need to be careful:

 

1. Source: se5 isn't hard to drive IMO, but it does improve with better source. so with phone, you will just listen to a basic SE5 sound signature rather than some top class technical performance with high end sources.

 

2. Coming from DN1000. you might find SE5 lacks of instant clarity on the first impressions, which is what happens to the customers you mentioned. After owning 3 se5s and listening to several of my friends' se5 (that can fit into my ears). I am almost certain that there is no such thing of manufacturing inconsistency. The differences in review simply comes from personal preferences. And no disrespect, but I find some owners make very quick judgement on SE5 without giving it a thorough listening. Having said that, SE5 is on the warmer side of the spectrum, period. It just has a balanced, natural tuning that allows you to hear everything clearly with high resolution and great layering.

 

 

SE5's detail is not presented from its brightness or clarity. 


Edited by tupac0306 - 7/2/14 at 6:38am
post #3779 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithjedi333 View Post
 

Hi everyone. I'm looking to move to TOTL and wanted to bounce my thoughts off you. In the bright/analytical camp I'm considering the NT6 Pro and 1plus2 as they seem to get the best feedback. On the warmer side I'm looking at the SE 5way which similarly seems to be at the top. I've done a lot of reading and wanted to see if my impressions are accurate. I listen to pop, rap and heavy metal, and will ONLY be using an unamped phone with Google Music 320 kbps. No interest in getting into AMP/DAC/DAP. I like boosted bass, energy, detail, sparkle without sibilence, large soundstage. I dislike veil/congestion/wall of sound, small soundstage, sibilence, eSSSSSSSSSSy female vocals. I find while I like dynamic/hybrids, they tend to be too slow on heavy metal, resulting in less detail and a veil/wall of sound which I hate. I like to listen at medium to slightly high volume although this may be because I am often in environments with background noise (airplane). I'm not a quiet contemplative listener who sits in a quiet room focused on the music though.

 

NT6 Pro: treble might be harsh and fatiguing, incredible detail and wow factor. Harder to drive than 1plus2 but easier than SE 5way. Soundsig adapts to the music which sounds really smart.

 

1plus2: biggest most impressive soundstage. Otherwise similar to NT6 Pro. Universal (good resale, poor isolation). 

 

SE 5way: incredible detail without being harsh, and easiest to listen for extended periods. Less wow upfront but grows on you over time. Soundstage is smaller than 1plus2 but better/on par with NT6 Pro. Like the NT6 Pro, soundsig seems to adapt to the music. Best isolation and comfort. Hardest to drive. 5way has the most inconsistent reviews - many are thrilled, but more than a few are really really disappointed. This seems to be due to inconsistent anatomy and 5 sound tubes, perhaps the sound tubes get kinked causing a poor experience for some. Only ships to EU, which seems easily overcome by travel/friends/forwarding service.

 

When looking at the broader spectrum of TOTL CIEMs, it seems that from bright/analytical/harsh/airy/open to dark/musical/thick/congested it goes something like:

 

NT6 Pro, NT6, 1plus2, Ref1, SE 5Way, K10, JH Roxanne, Fitear lineup.

 

So the SE 5way is a fairly safe bet being in the middle with similar transparency/detail to the left hand side, without being overly dark and congested like the right hand side (unless you have anatomy problems). Another approach would be to buy some 1plus2 to learn more about my preferences, and resell it. My endgame is CIEM though, which I prefer for comfort and isolation.

 

I'm coming from the Dunu DN1000 which I loved due to the energy, detail and soundstage, but did sound a little eSSSSSSSy at high volume on some tracks with female vocals, so I would prefer a slightly thicker vocal note without losing clarity and detail. On lower volume it was very very enjoyable though.

 

Any thoughts or things I've missed and should consider would be greatly appreciated. And thanks to all the TOTL CIEM mafia who have been super super helpful, patient and generous with their sage wisdom. Thanks for reading. 

I'd listen to tupac. He's the man with all the toys to actually know. From my conversations, those with both the Hiditions and the SE5 tend to listen to the SE5 more which is telling. I personally was turned off by the SE5 forwarding requirement and the EU customs nightmare/charges and took the easy route with the NT6pro given the S. Korea/US free trade agreement. I have no regrets as the NT6pros are stunning and have far exceeded all my expectations and for a great deal less. However, in a perfect world, I would own both as per tupac, they are very complementary CIEMs providing two unique sound signatures. It doesn't seem like you can go wrong with either.

 

I don't have tupac's perspective as I only have the NT6pro, but I can speak for my experience with them. The NT6pro is not a bright, fatiguing, hiss rocket as you might think from its analytical description. IMO, it is all about clarity, blackness, and extension in both directions. If the sound is not in the music, it is silent providing a unique clarity - no always on bass, no fake hissy shimmer. However, with the right music, the bass thunders massively all the way down to the lowest sub regions and the treble can be faithfully reproduced all the way up the spectrum with nice black space between the instruments. The NT6pro provides a full sized, extraordinarily detailed, intimate presentation like my LCD2 with my Mjolnir that I didn't think was possible with in ears that had always previously sounded like I was listening from the nose bleed section with my TF10s or Coppers. I can't even listen to those any more so I am selling them.

 

One more thing - the NT6pro scales down very nicely making even my iPhone 5S and my Clip Zip sound audiophile. However, scaling up becomes addictive as it has a lot more to give than what those devices can deliver. Without going crazy, I found the X5 to be a beautiful pairing for the NT6pro providing thick textures you can feel with strong mids along with improved bass response. It is a very noticeable SQ upgrade from a phone and obviously less distracting.

post #3780 of 4010

Get the SE5way, stop looking for ciems ;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)