Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review... - Page 220

post #3286 of 4437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunlun View Post

Okay, here's the frequency response chart. As always, one's ears come first. Good measurements, like this one, help us to describe what we are hearing.

 

 

Stage monitors tend to have a lift in the vocal range and a drop in the sibilant range. That double lift you see in the vocal range is common as well.

 

It's a stage monitor sound, that's it's character. None of this "magical" garbage. If you like stage monitors and the dark sound they have, then look at it if you're in the EU and want to spend a lot.  If not, then look elsewhere.


Let me guess, instead of wasting our money, we should all buy the MG6 Pro, Sensaphonics 3Max or Aurisonics ASG-2? Is that about right? Hum...seems like I have heard this song before.

post #3287 of 4437

Thanks for the Writeup?

Could you pls pick the 3 CIEMs with greatest Soundstage and Imaging? :)

post #3288 of 4437
I've read every review of CIEMs I could find over the last year and a half. In that time the most consistently comprehensive useful and comparative reviews have come from Average Joe. He takes his time to offer sage advice and post a plethora of useful knowledge in the threads he starts.

It's also good to read the dissenting opinions. That's provided the dissenting opinions are thoughtful, intelligently presented and don't arise from what seems like a personal agenda or conflict.

More information, less making it personal please.
post #3289 of 4437
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas2402 View Post

@A_J

 

I don't quite understand the sound of SE-5. On the one hand, you say they're never bright and a little like LCD-2. On the other hand, you mentioned that it doesn't have a sound signature.

 

I had HD 600, HD 650 (= close to LCD-2??), UE 900, K 701, DT 880, ATH M50. They all have sound signatures.

 

UE 900 has veil, too small & flat soundstage.

HD 600 sounded very nice: non-fatiguing, but soundstage width was missing

HD 650 sounded like it wasnt able to output high frequency, a little bass heavy.

K 701 too much high-mid frequency, wide soundstage without depth and hole in the middle of soundstage.

ATH M50 treble = harsh, recessed mids, punchy

DT 880 = sharp S, lots of treble, mids recessed

IERM = as you stated: unforgiving when playing poor recordings, flat response

 

(I have a low impendance-amp and a CD Player)

 

So, if the HD 650 didnt have enough treble, will the SE-5 disappoint me?

 

Andreas

 

I mentioned the sound signature is more difficult to pinpoint than with other headphones/CIEMs due to the ability of the SE5 to adjust note weight (PRaT) better than others, but it does have a sound signature.  I have spent hours listening to the SE5 with multiple sources and tracks ranging from classical to EDM to pop to rock to country and more, and as the mastering of the tracks change, so does the sound of the SE5, much more so than most headphones/CIEMs I own.  When comparing with other CIEMs using random tracks, the changes are readily apparent as one song will be brighter or more mid-forward with the SE5, than another track will be the opposite.  However, in general, the SE5 is on the warmer and darker side of things.  To answer your question, I would say most likely yes.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohannLiebert View Post

Thanks for the Writeup?

Could you pls pick the 3 CIEMs with greatest Soundstage and Imaging? :)

 

From what I have heard, the M-Fidelity (foremerly Starkey) SA-43 is #1 (and the EarPower EP10 Plus is up there also if you want an alien looking open CIEM).  As for the next two, it really depends on the source and track.  For example, the SE5 sounds extremely spacious with the Anedio D1 and well recorded/mastered 24 bit live tracks, but the UM PP6 on average is more spacious.  The UE PRM is right there also, as is the NT-6 pro.  There are several that are a small step down.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviltooth View Post

I've read every review of CIEMs I could find over the last year and a half. In that time the most consistently comprehensive useful and comparative reviews have come from Average Joe. He takes his time to offer sage advice and post a plethora of useful knowledge in the threads he starts.

It's also good to read the dissenting opinions. That's provided the dissenting opinions are thoughtful, intelligently presented and don't arise from what seems like a personal agenda or conflict.

More information, less making it personal please.

 

Thank you and I agree.

post #3290 of 4437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunlun View Post




Impressive
post #3291 of 4437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunlun View Post

Okay, here's the frequency response chart. As always, one's ears come first. Good measurements, like this one, help us to describe what we are hearing.

 

 

Stage monitors tend to have a lift in the vocal range and a drop in the sibilant range. That double lift you see in the vocal range is common as well.

 

It's a stage monitor sound, that's it's character. None of this "magical" garbage. If you like stage monitors and the dark sound they have, then look at it if you're in the EU and want to spend a lot.  If not, then look elsewhere.

Would you say ASG-2 is darker than SE5? or brighter? 

post #3292 of 4437
Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrus-g View Post

Impressive

If humor,
LOL
post #3293 of 4437
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post


If humor,
LOL

post #3294 of 4437
Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrus-g View Post


I just meant that if you were being sarcastic that I thought it was funny. If not then nevermind.
post #3295 of 4437

I was serious. 

 

Edit:

Although graph shows some tweeter problem on the "red" channel, or it could be due to poor IEM placement in a coupler.


Edited by piotrus-g - 8/9/13 at 6:07am
post #3296 of 4437
Ok awesome. Nevermind my comment then.

But i do have a question if you don't mind. As a custom earphone designer and maker, what makes that impressive?

I ask because maybe that sort of frequency response is difficult to achieve and I don't understand that and I would like to.

I also ask because I see ~10 dB interchannel difference at both 5k and 10k which doesn't seem to me a very good thing.

Edit:
Yea, I had assumed that was a possibility. So assuming there was no imbalance, what makes that impressive? I'm genuinely curious because its an interesting comment.
Edited by vwinter - 8/9/13 at 6:12am
post #3297 of 4437
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupac0306 View Post

Would you say ASG-2 is darker than SE5? or brighter? 
That's a nice question, I also would like to learn the answer.
post #3298 of 4437
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post

Ok awesome. Nevermind my comment then.

But i do have a question if you don't mind. As a custom earphone designer and maker, what makes that impressive?

I ask because maybe that sort of frequency response is difficult to achieve and I don't understand that and I would like to.

I also ask because I see ~10 dB interchannel difference at both 5k and 10k which doesn't seem to me a very good thing.

Edit:
Yea, I had assumed that was a possibility. So assuming there was no imbalance, what makes that impressive? I'm genuinely curious because its an interesting comment.
The range or the IEM is 10Hz to 20kHz (and probably higher judging by the rising peak at the end) with just a 10dB spread. Such frequency response is really, really hard to achieve. I'm not discussing peaks and valleys because they have to be there to compensate ear canal equalization. Waterfall graph would tell more about actual sound - how it propagates in time. I believe I saw one on another forum and bass looked really good - with the delayed ignition woofer.

Yes the difference in channels could be either caused by faulty driver or even two or wrong IEM placement in the measuring coupler. I'm not the one to judge what is an actual cause.
post #3299 of 4437
Thread Starter 

If you have been thinking about getting the Lime Ears CIEMs, but weren't sure if you should get the LE3 or LE3b, now you can get both in one!  Emil has incorporated a switch into the LE3, and it looks well integrated.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrus-g View Post

The range or the IEM is 10Hz to 20kHz (and probably higher judging by the rising peak at the end) with just a 10dB spread. Such frequency response is really, really hard to achieve. I'm not discussing peaks and valleys because they have to be there to compensate ear canal equalization. Waterfall graph would tell more about actual sound - how it propagates in time. I believe I saw one on another forum and bass looked really good - with the delayed ignition woofer.

Yes the difference in channels could be either caused by faulty driver or even two or wrong IEM placement in the measuring coupler. I'm not the one to judge what is an actual cause.

 

Thank you for your honest and unbiased answer.  I agree a waterfall graph would help tell the story, but the so often left out (always left out in IEMs?) spread of the graph is rarely mentioned.  

post #3300 of 4437
Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrus-g View Post

The range or the IEM is 10Hz to 20kHz (and probably higher judging by the rising peak at the end) with just a 10dB spread. Such frequency response is really, really hard to achieve. I'm not discussing peaks and valleys because they have to be there to compensate ear canal equalization. Waterfall graph would tell more about actual sound - how it propagates in time. I believe I saw one on another forum and bass looked really good - with the delayed ignition woofer.

Yes the difference in channels could be either caused by faulty driver or even two or wrong IEM placement in the measuring coupler. I'm not the one to judge what is an actual cause.

Thanks for the response! Enlightening and very interesting seeing it from the other side, so to speak.

Now I just need to figure out the single BA vs Multi BA confusion in my mind regarding treble extension.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)