Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review... - Page 178

post #2656 of 4092
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

 

If you don't enjoy the HE-500, I'd advise you to sell it. Regardless of any future plans for a custom IEM. Why keep something that you don't even like?

I never said I don't like it. But I've listened to it over and over so much that I want to hear my music differently. Whether it's me buying a different amp to listen to it in a different sound signature or getting a really Good CIEM to replace it and enjoy the CIEM in it's on aspect.

post #2657 of 4092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic View Post

I never said I don't like it. But I've listened to it over and over so much that I want to hear my music differently. Whether it's me buying a different amp to listen to it in a different sound signature or getting a really Good CIEM to replace it and enjoy the CIEM in it's on aspect.

 

My error, sorry. I was going by this part:

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poetic View Post
 

... im honestly getting quite tired of its sound now.

 

 

I took that to mean you disliked it. But I can see now that it could mean you'd just like to try something new. 

 

I'd still say go for it. You can sell the HE-500 and there will always be used HE-500s to re-buy if you ever decide to. Custom IEMs have a bit of trouble with resale value, but it's not too terribly bad when it comes to the more popular models. HE-500s lose a good amount of value too, but less than CIEMs. 

post #2658 of 4092
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic View Post

Hey guys this might sound dumb, but lets hypothetically say im able to get the Spiral Ear SE 5way, do you think it would be worth it to sell my Hifiman He-500. I've read a few places that the Spiral Ear is compared to the LCD Audeze 2. I was wondering if this IEM would be a worthy sacrifice of the He-500... and im honestly getting quite tired of its sound now.

 

If they are expendable (i.e., you don't use them), why keep them?  

post #2659 of 4092
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

 

If they are expendable (i.e., you don't use them), why keep them?  

that's why I just said that if the spiral ear would be something in a replacement of enjoying music in a good quality of the Hifiman he-500...

But I figured I should just go for another Headphone. looking to either the LCD 3 or maybe the spiral ear se 5way, I have know someone that will be able to help me get it

post #2660 of 4092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic View Post

that's why I just said that if the spiral ear would be something in a replacement of enjoying music in a good quality of the Hifiman he-500...

But I figured I should just go for another Headphone. looking to either the LCD 3 or maybe the spiral ear se 5way, I have know someone that will be able to help me get it

 

As much as I love custom IEMs, I have to admit that it's easier to rotate through full-sized headphones until you find the one you love. Just buy from the forums, and resell if you don't love it. Customs can be resold but it's a more complicated process and you lose some money each time. 

post #2661 of 4092
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

 

As much as I love custom IEMs, I have to admit that it's easier to rotate through full-sized headphones until you find the one you love. Just buy from the forums, and resell if you don't love it. Customs can be resold but it's a more complicated process and you lose some money each time. 

yup, that's what im afraid of. xD

post #2662 of 4092
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

 

As much as I love custom IEMs, I have to admit that it's easier to rotate through full-sized headphones until you find the one you love. Just buy from the forums, and resell if you don't love it. Customs can be resold but it's a more complicated process and you lose some money each time. 


Yes, but with cans, you do not have the :"how can something so small and cute sound soooo good" effect :)

post #2663 of 4092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic View Post

that's why I just said that if the spiral ear would be something in a replacement of enjoying music in a good quality of the Hifiman he-500...

But I figured I should just go for another Headphone. looking to either the LCD 3 or maybe the spiral ear se 5way, I have know someone that will be able to help me get it

You are welcome tongue_smile.gifLCD 3 is good too. You won't go wrong with either. LCD 3 is brighter than SE 5 WAY, vocal is more forward, less bass presence but incredible extension and control. 

post #2664 of 4092

Hello friends!

 

How does the hybrids like the 1plus2 and Merlin compare? What is the weakness and strength of hybrids? 

 

Hey Joe, have you tried any? Not your cup of tea?

 

Thanks

post #2665 of 4092

Sorry Joe, I see now that the Earpower EP-10 plus is a hybrid. Have you tried other hybrids?

post #2666 of 4092
Thread Starter 

 

I wanted to give some quick updates, mainly on the sources.

 

Lear FSM-02 V2.  Wow, this thing is goooooood.  Two different amps, built in EQ, and it makes everything sound great.  It isn't quite as thick as the 627, but Lear did get this one right.  Driving the 8X, very nice, the RSM, no complaints, the Proguard P2+1, good, and the Lime Ears LE-3 wow.  Damn, the DX100 -> FSM-02 -> 8X is spectacular!  Amps can make a difference!

 

The Leckerton is a very "true" source with a very good price/performance ratio, but it doesn't sing with everything like the 627 and FSM-02 V2 do.  The treble is a bit hotter on with the Leckerton than the 627 and FSM, but they aren't lacking.  Unfortunately, the UHA-6S MKII I have has a bit of a channel imbalance at lower volumes with many of my CIEMs.

 

The Nova is definitely smoother than the Clip+ with the RSM and images better with the P2+1.  The UI does leave a lot to be desired, however.

 

Not pictured, the SM64 is an upgrade to the SM3, but I am surprised by the low sensitivity.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindskog View Post

Hello friends!

 

How does the hybrids like the 1plus2 and Merlin compare? What is the weakness and strength of hybrids? 

 

Hey Joe, have you tried any? Not your cup of tea?

 

Thanks

 

Everything is my cup of tea!  Seriously, I review things to understand them, and I try to see the value they have along with the weaknesses so I can help others decide what is best for them.  

 

I have two hybrids: the Thousand Sound TS842 and EP-10 Plus, but both aren't the highest performing hybrids.  Thousand Sound has a new hybrid, and I am not sure what ever happened to EarPower, as they were going to remake my EP-10 Plus with less mid-bass.

 

The Rooth LSX5 is very nice, and I heard the demo.  It is the best hybrid I have heard, including the K3003 and Merlin demo, but the Merlin demo was admittedly bad.  I am looking forward to hearing the AS-2 and would love to review a customized LSX5.  

 

I haven't heard the 1plus2 yet, but was supposed to at some point in time.  It isn't a custom, however, but it may still sound very good like the LSX5.  

post #2667 of 4092
Just updating to say Alclair have amazing customer service, even after 3 months they were happy to do a refit and change colours and what not. Amazing, they really want satisfied customers. Lets hope fit is good this time :-)
post #2668 of 4092
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

 

I wanted to give some quick updates, mainly on the sources.

 

Lear FSM-02 V2.  Wow, this thing is goooooood.  Two different amps, built in EQ, and it makes everything sound great.  It isn't quite as thick as the 627, but Lear did get this one right.  Driving the 8X, very nice, the RSM, no complaints, the Proguard P2+1, good, and the Lime Ears LE-3 wow.  Damn, the DX100 -> FSM-02 -> 8X is spectacular!  Amps can make a difference!

 

The Leckerton is a very "true" source with a very good price/performance ratio, but it doesn't sing with everything like the 627 and FSM-02 V2 do.  The treble is a bit hotter on with the Leckerton than the 627 and FSM, but they aren't lacking.  Unfortunately, the UHA-6S MKII I have has a bit of a channel imbalance at lower volumes with many of my CIEMs.

 

The Nova is definitely smoother than the Clip+ with the RSM and images better with the P2+1.  The UI does leave a lot to be desired, however.

 

Not pictured, the SM64 is an upgrade to the SM3, but I am surprised by the low sensitivity.  

 

 

Everything is my cup of tea!  Seriously, I review things to understand them, and I try to see the value they have along with the weaknesses so I can help others decide what is best for them.  

 

I have two hybrids: the Thousand Sound TS842 and EP-10 Plus, but both aren't the highest performing hybrids.  Thousand Sound has a new hybrid, and I am not sure what ever happened to EarPower, as they were going to remake my EP-10 Plus with less mid-bass.

 

The Rooth LSX5 is very nice, and I heard the demo.  It is the best hybrid I have heard, including the K3003 and Merlin demo, but the Merlin demo was admittedly bad.  I am looking forward to hearing the AS-2 and would love to review a customized LSX5.  

 

I haven't heard the 1plus2 yet, but was supposed to at some point in time.  It isn't a custom, however, but it may still sound very good like the LSX5.  

I thought about trying The Rooth LSX5, do you think the price is worth it though? $800.00 ^_^

post #2669 of 4092
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkid View Post

Just updating to say Alclair have amazing customer service, even after 3 months they were happy to do a refit and change colours and what not. Amazing, they really want satisfied customers. Lets hope fit is good this time :-)

 

Marc (and from what I have heard repeatedly, Amy) provide excellent customer service, so I am not surprised!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic View Post

I thought about trying The Rooth LSX5, do you think the price is worth it though? $800.00 ^_^

 

Of the hybrids I have heard, I was most impressed with the LSX5 even in its universal form.  I didn't have the time I wanted with it, but it is very good and IMO, considering the pricing of other hybrids, it is worth it.

post #2670 of 4092

So I'm looking into possibly getting another custom or two. I have a meet coming up and I think the two I'm looking at right now are the UE Reference Monitors and the Alclair RSM. I'm only dealing with companies based in the USA so my options are quite limited. The other companies I can think of is Westone,JHA and 1964 Ears unless I missed something. Nothing against the other companies but refits are such a pain and I'd rather not deal with that again although UM could be an option. That triple dynamic sounds very interesting..

 

Is the Alclair review you have up in a different thread the same or a different product? I couldn't find Reference Master Custom anywhere on their site so they could have changed the name or just referred under something else. I will have the chance to hear a demo UE Reference Monitors but from everything I've heard it is what I want but the same can be said for the Alclair and the RSM is supposed to be similar to the Reference ones but better at least according to Marc from Alclair.


Edited by rawrster - 4/19/13 at 6:04am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)