Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review... - Page 164

post #2446 of 4437
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoxy View Post

Could you give us some impressions on the sound signature?
post #2447 of 4437

??

post #2448 of 4437
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

 

The leading characteristic of the 5-way is that it changes based on the way the track was recorded, so much more so than other CIEMs.  I believe this is in part due to the ability of the 5-way to change its note presentation to that of the track.  Some tracks sound thick and warm while others sound crystal clear, making it a difficult CIEM for me to compare as other CIEMs don't change anywhere near the extent of the 5-way.  Are you experiencing the same thing?

 

As far as the 4-way, I believe the sound signature is closer to the 3-way joker reviewed, but with technical ability similar to the 5-way.

Not at all, the SE-5 is just boosted midbass (100-300Hz, centered at 160 Hz). If a track doesn't have much or any midbass, it won't be audible, obviously. That's the only place where SE-5 has a boost - it has cuts elsewhere, including some deep subbass cut (but not as much as many other BA IEMs, starts at 32 Hz). Plus the bass has a sharp, but correct decay quality.

The "chameleon" quality is due to flatness 500-3 kHz, then major cut 3k-8k. So depending on the track, it will be neutral, dull, sharp, soft, hard-hitting or bass boosted.

Highs are BA-like "over"crisp but quiet compared to lows. Not a veil, but highs are kinda shelved - no less extension though.

 

SE-5 *note presentation* stays the same all the time. Sharp but bit too thick bass with correct decay (it's hard to describe... perhaps a tiny bit of harmonic distortion?), good thickness mids, slightly thin treble.

That is unlike Westone 4 (the closest sounding universal), which had shorter bass decay, softer impact, thicker treble.


Edited by AstralStorm - 1/17/13 at 2:21am
post #2449 of 4437
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralStorm View Post

Not at all, the SE-5 is just boosted midbass (100-300Hz, centered at 160 Hz). If a track doesn't have much or any midbass, it won't be audible, obviously. That's the only place where SE-5 has a boost - it has cuts elsewhere, including some deep subbass cut (but not as much as many other BA IEMs, starts at 32 Hz). Plus the bass has a sharp, but correct decay quality.

The "chameleon" quality is due to flatness 500-3 kHz, then major cut 3k-8k. So depending on the track, it will be neutral, dull, sharp, soft, hard-hitting or bass boosted.

Highs are BA-like "over"crisp but quiet compared to lows. Not a veil, but highs are kinda shelved - no less extension though.

 

SE-5 *note presentation* stays the same all the time. Sharp but bit too thick bass with correct decay (it's hard to describe... perhaps a tiny bit of harmonic distortion?), good thickness mids, slightly thin treble.

That is unlike Westone 4, which had shorter bass decay, softer impact, thicker treble.

I also find a boost around 16-18k. well compared to all my other earphones (not headphones).

post #2450 of 4437

It's not a boost, it's actually almost flat. (-3 or -4 dB) Most other IEMs have a rolloff by then.

post #2451 of 4437
Hi Joe,

Have you heard the MH335DW? Or 1plus2? If not are you planning on getting one?

I'm really curious with heir 8A, SE5, and fitear mh335dw.
post #2452 of 4437
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralStorm View Post

Not at all, the SE-5 is just boosted midbass (100-300Hz, centered at 160 Hz). If a track doesn't have much or any midbass, it won't be audible, obviously. That's the only place where SE-5 has a boost - it has cuts elsewhere, including some deep subbass cut (but not as much as many other BA IEMs, starts at 32 Hz). Plus the bass has a sharp, but correct decay quality.

The "chameleon" quality is due to flatness 500-3 kHz, then major cut 3k-8k. So depending on the track, it will be neutral, dull, sharp, soft, hard-hitting or bass boosted.

Highs are BA-like "over"crisp but quiet compared to lows. Not a veil, but highs are kinda shelved - no less extension though.

 

SE-5 *note presentation* stays the same all the time. Sharp but bit too thick bass with correct decay (it's hard to describe... perhaps a tiny bit of harmonic distortion?), good thickness mids, slightly thin treble.

That is unlike Westone 4 (the closest sounding universal), which had shorter bass decay, softer impact, thicker treble.

 

I can't say that my ears agree with your assessment about the "major" cut at 3K-8K, as that is the area that I find changes from sounding cut to perfectly balanced to even bright at times.  To my ears, the 5-way has the capability to reproduce every note thrown at it accurately to my ears, from the fastest notes to very reverberant and thick ones due to the excellent PRAT.

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace8888 View Post

Hi Joe,

Have you heard the MH335DW? Or 1plus2? If not are you planning on getting one?

I'm really curious with heir 8A, SE5, and fitear mh335dw.

 

No, I haven't heard either, but really want to hear the 335.  I have been in contact with Tralucent, but don't have a set date for when I will receive a demo, however the 1plus2 is not a CIEM.

post #2453 of 4437

Got my UM Platform Pure 6 in today. Wow, that cable is a beast. The hardware box is surprisingly light weight though, which could make up for the cable if someone truly intended to use it as a portable. I'll probably do more "transportable" type use though. 

 

It's strange seeing the innards of the CIEM portion minus the crossovers. Looks a bit empty, until you count the drivers and make sure that it really is a 6 driver setup. As usual, UM did a fantastic job with the build - I'll grab some pics and post them when I get a chance. 

post #2454 of 4437
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

Got my UM Platform Pure 6 in today. Wow, that cable is a beast. The hardware box is surprisingly light weight though, which could make up for the cable if someone truly intended to use it as a portable. I'll probably do more "transportable" type use though. 

 

It's strange seeing the innards of the CIEM portion minus the crossovers. Looks a bit empty, until you count the drivers and make sure that it really is a 6 driver setup. As usual, UM did a fantastic job with the build - I'll grab some pics and post them when I get a chance. 

 

Nice, I am looking forward to the pictures. Hopefully mine will be shipping soon...

post #2455 of 4437
Looking forward to hearing your impressions (both) on the PP6. Joe, I have just tried the demo version of the Fitear MH335DW and they sound great (from 15mn of listening straight through my DX100). It would be awesome if you managed to review the demo version or even the real custom...I know they are 2000 bucks but...they might lend you demos...
post #2456 of 4437
Jaben, all over Asia, has demos...
post #2457 of 4437
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

Looking forward to hearing your impressions (both) on the PP6. Joe, I have just tried the demo version of the Fitear MH335DW and they sound great (from 15mn of listening straight through my DX100). It would be awesome if you managed to review the demo version or even the real custom...I know they are 2000 bucks but...they might lend you demos...

 

Thanks for sharing.  Yes, I would like to hear/review the 335!

post #2458 of 4437

Hey Joe, another one to add to the overall list - http://www.head-fi.org/t/647328/ultimate-hearing-protection-systems-uk-soundear-pro-3-new-uk-custom-iems#post_9080324 - a new option for those of us in the UK.

post #2459 of 4437
Thread Starter 

Thanks, updated the list with Ultimate Hearing Protection and another ;)

post #2460 of 4437
Thread Starter 

 

Alclair RSM

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)