Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review... - Page 149

post #2221 of 4438
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

 

Thanks, I will add it soon.

 

 

I know about the 6.A, but from what I was told, UM was getting JH BAs.

 

Ah, OK.   Curious situation.

post #2222 of 4438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post

 

Ah, OK.   Curious situation.

 

It's similar to the Heir 6.A LE situation in that proprietary drivers ended up at the wrong place. But the circumstances differ from there... and we never found out what company the drivers in the 6.A were originally meant for.

 

I don't even think Knowles told Heir Audio who the drivers were supposed to be for - they simply said Heir couldn't order any more. 

post #2223 of 4438
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

 

It's similar to the Heir 6.A LE situation in that proprietary drivers ended up at the wrong place. But the circumstances differ from there... and we never found out what company the drivers in the 6.A were originally meant for.

 

I don't even think Knowles told Heir Audio who the drivers were supposed to be for - they simply said Heir couldn't order any more. 

 

Am I the only one who thinks Knowles appears to have a bizarre approach to business, if this situation arises in the first place, if it arises under more than one circumstance (which, allegedly, it seemingly has), and if they make a song and dance about it when they realise their mistake (if, indeed it ever was a mistake, rather than perhaps clearing surplus bespoke stock from orders commissioned in the past by other customers. I find it hard to believe that a high-precision manufacturer like Knowles doesn't have batch numbers in place, for internal auditing purposes, and, evidently, they are  able to tell what they are selling, when it suits them to 'realise').

 

Personally, given the enormous investment of time and money required in order to develop a refined CIEM, I'm of the opinion that Knowles, if (if) they may have erroneously supplied, should, under such circumstances damn well accept responsibility and therefore continue to honour what has already been supplied by continuing to supply it. It's very unfair for any manufacturer to move the goalposts on the customer, through no fault of the customer, who may be facing a big loss in having to withdraw a successful product from the market and having to invest time, money and advertising on a replacement product.

 

The more I hear about such (alleged) shenanigans, the more I'm really going off Knowles, and consequently, may be more inclined to purchase CIEMs that incorporate BA components from competing companies, such as Sonion or whatever.

 

If it turns out that the above is an inaccurate impression of what has occurred in the supply of TWFKs (etc.) to certain CIEM vendors, then I would appreciate anyone setting me straight and I would, of course, withdraw my sentiments in light of that.


Edited by Mython - 11/19/12 at 6:21am
post #2224 of 4438

What would be the closest sounding CIEM to the Heir Audio 8A, that can be purchased (manufactured/shipped) within Europe? 

post #2225 of 4438

I won't disagree with you there. Whether it is shadiness or just good old fashioned incompetence... either way looks bad. 

 

The scenario in your second paragraph is exactly true for the Heir 6.A though - basically Heir has a big hole in their lineup now because of a mistake on the part of Knowles. It might not matter all that much to Knowles, who probably sells exponentially more units to hearing aid makers compared to CIEM companies... but it matters to Heir and it matters to us. 

 

Then again, CIEMs being a relatively small chunk of their business, maybe they don't care all that much. As you said, there's always Sonion. 

post #2226 of 4438
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post

 

Am I the only one who thinks Knowles appears to have a bizarre approach to business, if this situation arises in the first place, if it arises under more than one circumstance (which, allegedly, it seemingly has), and if they make a song and dance about it when they realise their mistake (if, indeed it ever was a mistake, rather than perhaps clearing surplus bespoke stock from orders commissioned in the past by other customers. I find it hard to believe that a high-precision manufacturer like Knowles doesn't have batch numbers in place, for internal auditing purposes, and, evidently, they are  able to tell what they are selling, when it suits them to 'realise').

 

Personally, given the enormous investment of time and money required in order to develop a refined CIEM, I'm of the opinion that Knowles, if (if) they may have erroneously supplied, should, under such circumstances damn well accept responsibility and therefore continue to honour what has already been supplied by continuing to supply it. It's very unfair for any manufacturer to move the goalposts on the customer, through no fault of the customer, who may be facing a big loss in having to withdraw a successful product from the market and having to invest time, money and advertising on a replacement product.

 

The more I hear about such (alleged) shenanigans, the more I'm really going off Knowles, and consequently, may be more inclined to purchase CIEMs that incorporate BA components from competing companies, such as Sonion or whatever.

 

If it turns out that the above is an inaccurate impression of what has occurred in the supply of TWFKs (etc.) to certain CIEM vendors, then I would appreciate anyone setting me straight and I would, of course, withdraw my sentiments in light of that.

 

I have plenty of thoughts about this and have seen similar issues (sales reps selling something they aren't supposed to sell) in different industries.  Unless we really know how it all went down I wouldn't assign blame to any one place, but found it interesting to hear that there was a change, which I haven't tried to confirm or deny, and I will leave it at that.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by putente View Post

What would be the closest sounding CIEM to the Heir Audio 8A, that can be purchased (manufactured/shipped) within Europe? 

 

The EM4 is pretty close, and you can read my comparison in my 8.A review (linked in the first post).

post #2227 of 4438
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

The EM4 is pretty close, and you can read my comparison in my 8.A review (linked in the first post).

 

Thanks! Will do... beerchug.gif

post #2228 of 4438

Holy mother of God. This thread is boss!

 

I guess I know where to look if I am wanting to go customs. Nice work, Joe!

post #2229 of 4438
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by putente View Post

Thanks! Will do... beerchug.gif

 

Let me know if you have any questions.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by treal512 View Post

Holy mother of God. This thread is boss!

 

I guess I know where to look if I am wanting to go customs. Nice work, Joe!

 

Thank you!  

post #2230 of 4438
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

Let me know if you have any questions.

 

 

Thank you for your help... I think the 8.A is exactly what I'd want in a CIEM, soundwise! But the problem is here where I live, stuff coming from outside of Europe are almost sure to be heavily taxed by customs, around 40% more over the price I paid, and because of that, the 8.A (or any other CIEM coming from outside of Europe) isn't an option for me, sadly! About the EM4, I've read your review and comparison to the 8.A, and since I'm very sensitive to bright treble (sibilance and harshness are a no go for me) maybe they're not for me. I really think the laid back nature of the 8.A's treble would really fit my tastes (but also its mids and lows)... frown.gif

 

I'm currently considering the Cosmic Ears HY3 triple hybrid model, as they're based in Sweden and the price/performance ratio seems very good! That model costs a third of the EM4, and having a dedicated dynamic driver for the low end is a plus for me! From initial impressions, it seems to be a very balanced sounding CIEM in the mids and highs, with great bass output. Maybe that's the way to go for me...

post #2231 of 4438
Quote:
Originally Posted by putente View Post

 

 

Thank you for your help... I think the 8.A is exactly what I'd want in a CIEM, soundwise! But the problem is here where I live, stuff coming from outside of Europe are almost sure to be heavily taxed by customs, around 40% more over the price I paid, and because of that, the 8.A (or any other CIEM coming from outside of Europe) isn't an option for me, sadly! About the EM4, I've read your review and comparison to the 8.A, and since I'm very sensitive to bright treble (sibilance and harshness are a no go for me) maybe they're not for me. I really think the laid back nature of the 8.A's treble would really fit my tastes (but also its mids and lows)... frown.gif

 

I'm currently considering the Cosmic Ears HY3 triple hybrid model, as they're based in Sweden and the price/performance ratio seems very good! That model costs a third of the EM4, and having a dedicated dynamic driver for the low end is a plus for me! From initial impressions, it seems to be a very balanced sounding CIEM in the mids and highs, with great bass output. Maybe that's the way to go for me...

 

Seems like you'd want to take a look at the EM3 or EM6.  The EM3 is basically the highend version of the SM3 which was anything but bright to my ears.  Very heavy, rich, 3D presentation, I can only expect the EM3 to have more of an old tube sound to it than the SM3 did.  Euphoric, involving, romantic.  Not sure where in Europe you're from but if you're familiar with vintage British gear think 60's Leak gear for the EM3 and more like 40's-50's Brook gear for the EM6.  The EM4 is earsonics "audiophile" IEM while still retaining the Earsonics flavor so it will be a bit more accurate/analytical when compared to the rest of their lineup, but still retain an Earsonics house sound.  The EM3 is very musical and colored (again think 60's Leak) where the EM6 would probably sound closest to ProAc speakers if you're familiar. 

post #2232 of 4438

Just curious, and I know its been a while, but from your memory, which sound did you like better: the demo Merlin or the demo LS8? Thanks

post #2233 of 4438

Hi,

 

I've been reading alot of reviews for C-IEMS and hopefully one of you guys here can help with some advice!

 

Going by the Glossary from headfi .. I think I am after a slightly laid back, warm, inbetween neutral to vshape custom IEM but cannot really pin point which one is best suited for this kind of sound sig!!

 

I was looking at Miracles or V6 but nothing seems to be ideal at the moment.

 

thanks

post #2234 of 4438
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibilantz View Post

Hi,

 

I've been reading alot of reviews for C-IEMS and hopefully one of you guys here can help with some advice!

 

Going by the Glossary from headfi .. I think I am after a slightly laid back, warm, inbetween neutral to vshape custom IEM but cannot really pin point which one is best suited for this kind of sound sig!!

 

I was looking at Miracles or V6 but nothing seems to be ideal at the moment.

 

thanks


The Miracles have many talents but I wouldn't describe them as 'warm'.

 

Heir 8.A, maybe, if they're not too bassy for you?


Edited by Mython - 11/22/12 at 5:53am
post #2235 of 4438
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibilantz View Post

Hi,

 

I've been reading alot of reviews for C-IEMS and hopefully one of you guys here can help with some advice!

 

Going by the Glossary from headfi .. I think I am after a slightly laid back, warm, inbetween neutral to vshape custom IEM but cannot really pin point which one is best suited for this kind of sound sig!!

 

I was looking at Miracles or V6 but nothing seems to be ideal at the moment.

 

thanks

 

Maybe the 1964 V3, depending on how warm you want it. I find that at times it seems just slightly boosted, and other times it almost veers into basshead territory depending on the music. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)