Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review... - Page 129

post #1921 of 4231
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupac0306 View Post

No, they still don't ship out of EU

 

Thanks for answering, and how did I miss that?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozu View Post

My Aud-6x'es arrived today. Initial impressions are extremely favorable so far. No fit issues that I can detect, no harsh treble, no channel imbalances.

 

My first thoughts, sound-wise, are that they're a lot like a more technically proficient version of my GR07s, although somewhat bassier as well, which makes me wonder about that description of them as "neutral reference monitors". Not that I'm complaining.

 

I will admit that I was a bit pissed to have almost $700 IEMs sent back to me in a tiny, uninsured, First Class box, no case included, packed in a ziploc with some bubblewrap around it (almost as if he was expecting me to send them back again).

 

That aside, quite pleased so far, at least in this first hour with them.

 

Thanks for sharing.  From my experience, custom IEMs can convey quite a bit of bass due to the superior seal and bone conduction.  Is the 6X more bass heavy even with tracks that have light bass, or just with heavy bass tracks?  

 

The bottom line is how they sound and perform for you...will you be happy with them in a month, 3, and 6?  Let's hope they work for you and last you as long as you want them to.

post #1922 of 4231

Besides the Ultimate Ears TF10, what would you say is the next best candidate for reshelling? I think the TF10 is a special case because it can be had for $99 on occasion and once they are reshelled, they are great. I have a custom pair and I love it. But I am itching for something different. What other IEM's do you think represent the best bang for your buck to be used as a host for a reshell. I realize I can just get a custom from the get go but they start at $400. In the example of the TF, you can pay $100 for a triple driver IEM, reshell it for ~$120 and you are almost $200 cheaper than getting a starter custom which is only a dual driver.

post #1923 of 4231

Placed my order on Heir 8A with magnus cable. From your review the heir seems to have headphone quality bass. Hopefully they will be my portable version of TH900. Can't wait! smily_headphones1.gif

post #1924 of 4231

Well got my tf10 left back from minerva today.  Would have had it yesterday but got the dreaded "tried to deliver" card instead :)

 

The Minerva's themselves I find are slightly odd beasts.  I am very (though reading from the reviews I guess I shouldn't be) surprised by how much volume they need to get going out of an ipod touch (third gen).  It's the first set of headphones I have that I felt could really do with an amp to do them justice.  As a rule a set of westone 3's I have could be set before the pause button on the ipod touch and be considered "loud".  With the mi's it has to be around or even past the pause to get going.  I'm not convinced on the fit just yet but that may be me getting used to silicone instead of acryllic.  Rather amusingly it's the left that's giving me hassle rather than the right which is what's given me trouble in the past.  Just feels tighter in there than I'm used to.

 

As well as an amp (I wonder how a fiio e17 would match)I'm also considering getting a set of tips done for the westones, just so I don't have to keep coughing up for complys in the future.  As they have scanned my impressions I don't need to get another set done and they'll knock £10 off the price. 

 

Oh and top marks for minerva's communication.  Had a response at 9:30pm the other night to do with the missing headphone.

 

Cheers.

post #1925 of 4231

Just been listening to my EM6 pro which has sit in the box for almost half a year because of the fitting issue. God. This thing is still absolutely a beast!..The dynamic and the power of the bass still amazes me. This is probably the only IEMs that has the bass that I can actually feel it's moving air. Great speed too that doesn't distort mids/highs like my other bass heavy IEMs did. Super extended airy, but smooth highs. The full bodied mids is musical and analytical at the same time to my ears. 

 

Too bad that they can never get the fitting of my right ear right. 

post #1926 of 4231

I tried the JH13 demo yesterday and I really like the neutrality wicih does not sacrifice excitement. Just wondering, any other IEM/CIEM out there that shares similar sound sig to the JH13?

post #1927 of 4231
Thread Starter 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post

Besides the Ultimate Ears TF10, what would you say is the next best candidate for reshelling? I think the TF10 is a special case because it can be had for $99 on occasion and once they are reshelled, they are great. I have a custom pair and I love it. But I am itching for something different. What other IEM's do you think represent the best bang for your buck to be used as a host for a reshell. I realize I can just get a custom from the get go but they start at $400. In the example of the TF, you can pay $100 for a triple driver IEM, reshell it for ~$120 and you are almost $200 cheaper than getting a starter custom which is only a dual driver.

 

There really isn't much other than a dual BA in the price range that you can reshell.  And some of the dual BAs aren't easy to remove and reuse from what I have been told, but I can't recall the exact models at the moment.  I guess a B2 might be good, but I am sure others would have better ideas.  Maybe used multi-BA with a broken cable such as an old 530 or Westone product.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by discretesound View Post

Placed my order on Heir 8A with magnus cable. From your review the heir seems to have headphone quality bass. Hopefully they will be my portable version of TH900. Can't wait! smily_headphones1.gif

 

Very nice, let us know what you think when you get them and how they compare with the TH900.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post

Well got my tf10 left back from minerva today.  Would have had it yesterday but got the dreaded "tried to deliver" card instead :)

 

The Minerva's themselves I find are slightly odd beasts.  I am very (though reading from the reviews I guess I shouldn't be) surprised by how much volume they need to get going out of an ipod touch (third gen).  It's the first set of headphones I have that I felt could really do with an amp to do them justice.  As a rule a set of westone 3's I have could be set before the pause button on the ipod touch and be considered "loud".  With the mi's it has to be around or even past the pause to get going.  I'm not convinced on the fit just yet but that may be me getting used to silicone instead of acryllic.  Rather amusingly it's the left that's giving me hassle rather than the right which is what's given me trouble in the past.  Just feels tighter in there than I'm used to.

 

As well as an amp (I wonder how a fiio e17 would match)I'm also considering getting a set of tips done for the westones, just so I don't have to keep coughing up for complys in the future.  As they have scanned my impressions I don't need to get another set done and they'll knock £10 off the price. 

 

Oh and top marks for minerva's communication.  Had a response at 9:30pm the other night to do with the missing headphone.

 

Cheers.

 

Great to hear they were so responsive.  As far as the amp, I can't really say anything about the e17 and would advise seeing who has compared the e17 with other products in the price range.  The Neco amp is quite good for the price.  Silicone can take some time to get used to until it builds up a layer of material that makes it easier to insert/remove and helps form a better seal.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupac0306 View Post

Just been listening to my EM6 pro which has sit in the box for almost half a year because of the fitting issue. God. This thing is still absolutely a beast!..The dynamic and the power of the bass still amazes me. This is probably the only IEMs that has the bass that I can actually feel it's moving air. Great speed too that doesn't distort mids/highs like my other bass heavy IEMs did. Super extended airy, but smooth highs. The full bodied mids is musical and analytical at the same time to my ears. 

 

Too bad that they can never get the fitting of my right ear right. 

 

I can imagine...sounds like a great CIEM, and I do know there are some other CIEMs that can "move air" such as the 5-way and 8.A.  I also can imagine that the EM6 has a more coherent presentation that the EM4 since the EM6 has the Earsonics sound signature, but I can't say for certain.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nationarmy View Post

I tried the JH13 demo yesterday and I really like the neutrality wicih does not sacrifice excitement. Just wondering, any other IEM/CIEM out there that shares similar sound sig to the JH13?

 

How long were you able to demo the JH13 and what were the conditions?

 

Unfortunately I haven't heard the JH13, but the UERM and NT-6 are both neutral, as is the AM4 pro.  I would say the AM4 pro is the most exciting followed by the UERM and then the NT-6, which isn't boring, but is on the thinner side, although it is not lacking in capability of the lowest registers. 

post #1928 of 4231
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

How long were you able to demo the JH13 and what were the conditions?

Unfortunately I haven't heard the JH13, but the UERM and NT-6 are both neutral, as is the AM4 pro.  I would say the AM4 pro is the most exciting followed by the UERM and then the NT-6, which isn't boring, but is on the thinner side, although it is not lacking in capability of the lowest registers. 

I auditioned it for roughly 30 mins, sourced from a clip+. Might invest in an amp/dac soon to line out from my SGS3. Flac files of some of my favorite songs from the Adele live album, John Mayer live album, Maroon 5, Jessie J and Red Hot Chili Pepper.

Unfortunately from all the options you mentioned, there are no demo here in Singapore. The AM4 seems interesting though. Quite affordable yet promising.
post #1929 of 4231

Well I'm now convinced the fit on the mi3's is still not right.  It fit's very well but it also feels incredibly tight in the left ear, almost as if it needs slackening off if that means any sense.  As it stands I can't wear them for more than 20 minutes without having to take them out.  This obviously makes it hard to evaulate.  I'm also a little concerned about the bass for a triple driver.  Mind you I am coming from a westone 3, an iem with a known bass hump so that could be the problem.  Going to email minerva today and wait for a reply this week (being bank holiday :) ).

 

Cheers

post #1930 of 4231
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

 

 

I can imagine...sounds like a great CIEM, and I do know there are some other CIEMs that can "move air" such as the 5-way and 8.A.  I also can imagine that the EM6 has a more coherent presentation that the EM4 since the EM6 has the Earsonics sound signature, but I can't say for certain.

 

 

Yes, Earsonics sound signature, but much well extended highs with better clarity than EM3 . I say the ultra high can compete with 8.a with a much more balanced upper mids/lower high spectrum.  I saw you were saying EM4 is technically similar to JH16 with some noticeable variation. EM6 certainly has more extended high, thicker mids, more relaxed and airy presentation than JH16. The bass.....probably the best bass I have ever heard from an IEM. So dynamic, I can really feel the air traveling through my ear drum. JH16 might have more bass quantity, but EM6 has much more powerful bass. The decay is very natural, bt it doesn't merge into mids/highs at all like 8a. Didn't realize EM6 is a beast before because I was so distracted by the fitting from actual listening ;). There is really no weakness in these IEMs. Full and dynamic if driven with enough power. EM6 makes me feel like I am listening to a full size headphone. It makes me want to take another risk by ordering another one. Can't figure out how they scan the ear molds. Shame that they couldn't get the right ear mold right so many times.

 

DYNAMIC~~~~~~ biggrin.gif


Edited by tupac0306 - 8/27/12 at 11:00am
post #1931 of 4231

Hi average_joe,

 

First please let me thank you for going through the painstaking process of reviewing and sharing you insights on these CIEMs. Very helpful and informative!.

 

Secondly, I'm interested in getting a pair of ACS - T1 Live! in the UK after factoring everything involved (availability, price, turnover time, etc...). Actually I'm struggling between deciding on the aforementioned pair and the UM Miracle and possibly any other available competitors, but there probably will be none due to the competitive pricing policy of ACS in the UK (700 pounds vs. 1k for, say, a pair of ES5 or JH13 in the UK). What I'm mainly looking forward to achieving from it is a decently good amount of detail (I'm not a detail freak but it would be nice if the ACS can equally match or surpass my PFE 232 in this field), musicality, and the ability to convey emotions. From your point of view, can you say that the overall sound quality of the ACS T1! Live does justify the price tag and also can you comment on how it would fare against competition from the same price bracket (~$1200) in the US?

 

Thanks a bunch smile.gif

post #1932 of 4231
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nationarmy View Post


I auditioned it for roughly 30 mins, sourced from a clip+. Might invest in an amp/dac soon to line out from my SGS3. Flac files of some of my favorite songs from the Adele live album, John Mayer live album, Maroon 5, Jessie J and Red Hot Chili Pepper.
Unfortunately from all the options you mentioned, there are no demo here in Singapore. The AM4 seems interesting though. Quite affordable yet promising.

 

If you like it, then it is the right one for you!  The JH13 demo I heard wasn't all that great and getting the JH16 was a nice surprise.  And yes, the AM4 is quite good for the price if that is the sound signature you want.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post

Well I'm now convinced the fit on the mi3's is still not right.  It fit's very well but it also feels incredibly tight in the left ear, almost as if it needs slackening off if that means any sense.  As it stands I can't wear them for more than 20 minutes without having to take them out.  This obviously makes it hard to evaulate.  I'm also a little concerned about the bass for a triple driver.  Mind you I am coming from a westone 3, an iem with a known bass hump so that could be the problem.  Going to email minerva today and wait for a reply this week (being bank holiday :) ).

 

Cheers

 

Sorry to hear it as it does sound like you need them to shave the canal down.  My review does mention the bass, but the Arrow can remedy that, especially with the bass boost.  However, the bass will never be to the level of many other CIEMs or multi-driver universals for whatever reason.  But, once you do get a great fit, that fit will help with the bass response and using an ear lubricant does help form an even better seal.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupac0306 View Post

Yes, Earsonics sound signature, but much well extended highs with better clarity than EM3 . I say the ultra high can compete with 8.a with a much more balanced upper mids/lower high spectrum.  I saw you were saying EM4 is technically similar to JH16 with some noticeable variation. EM6 certainly has more extended high, thicker mids, more relaxed and airy presentation than JH16. The bass.....probably the best bass I have ever heard from an IEM. So dynamic, I can really feel the air traveling through my ear drum. JH16 might have more bass quantity, but EM6 has much more powerful bass. The decay is very natural, bt it doesn't merge into mids/highs at all like 8a. Didn't realize EM6 is a beast before because I was so distracted by the fitting from actual listening ;). There is really no weakness in these IEMs. Full and dynamic if driven with enough power. EM6 makes me feel like I am listening to a full size headphone. It makes me want to take another risk by ordering another one. Can't figure out how they scan the ear molds. Shame that they couldn't get the right ear mold right so many times.

 

DYNAMIC~~~~~~ biggrin.gif

 

Now you are making me want one!  The EM4 bass is different than that of the JH16 as it is more organic, thick, and conveys more power than the more articulate, detailed, and punchier JH16 bass.  I hear the EM6 is more bass heavy, or maybe just less emphasis on the upper end.  And if possible, can you give more of a comparison between the EM6 and 8.A?  

 

Why can't Earsonics fix your existing EM6?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3nenbgumi View Post

Hi average_joe,

 

First please let me thank you for going through the painstaking process of reviewing and sharing you insights on these CIEMs. Very helpful and informative!.

 

Secondly, I'm interested in getting a pair of ACS - T1 Live! in the UK after factoring everything involved (availability, price, turnover time, etc...). Actually I'm struggling between deciding on the aforementioned pair and the UM Miracle and possibly any other available competitors, but there probably will be none due to the competitive pricing policy of ACS in the UK (700 pounds vs. 1k for, say, a pair of ES5 or JH13 in the UK). What I'm mainly looking forward to achieving from it is a decently good amount of detail (I'm not a detail freak but it would be nice if the ACS can equally match or surpass my PFE 232 in this field), musicality, and the ability to convey emotions. From your point of view, can you say that the overall sound quality of the ACS T1! Live does justify the price tag and also can you comment on how it would fare against competition from the same price bracket (~$1200) in the US?

 

Thanks a bunch smile.gif

 

You're welcome!  The ACS T1 Live! is a nice earphone that does many things well and does hold its own against most of the competition, but from my reading the sound sig will vary from both the JH13 and ES5, and I think it might actually be a cross between the two.  I don't hold the PFE 232 in the highest regards after a short audition, so I would think the T1 Live! should outperform the 232 by a decent margin (at least I think it would to my ears, but haven't A/Bed so I can't say with absolute certainty).

 

Before you make your decision think about the sound signature because if you don't like it, the money you saved will be wasted when you don't use it because you want a different sound.

post #1933 of 4231

average_joe, do you can help me?

 

 

I think in buy a 1964-Q Quad Driver, Audio Earz AUD-5X or FitEar To Go! 334.

 

I need know if the expensive FitEar is better than 1964 and Audio Earz or one of these last is a good deal.

 

I never try a custom IEM. I try many IEMs like Westone 4R (my actual earphones), Shure SE535, CK100, Hifiman 252, PK1 and many others, but I want try a custom now.

A friend says you can not compare the sound of a custom with a traditional IEMs.

 

That´s all.

 

Sorry for my bad english! :D  

post #1934 of 4231
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupac0306 View Post

Yes, Earsonics sound signature, but much well extended highs with better clarity than EM3 . I say the ultra high can compete with 8.a with a much more balanced upper mids/lower high spectrum.  I saw you were saying EM4 is technically similar to JH16 with some noticeable variation. EM6 certainly has more extended high, thicker mids, more relaxed and airy presentation than JH16. The bass.....probably the best bass I have ever heard from an IEM. So dynamic, I can really feel the air traveling through my ear drum. JH16 might have more bass quantity, but EM6 has much more powerful bass. The decay is very natural, bt it doesn't merge into mids/highs at all like 8a. Didn't realize EM6 is a beast before because I was so distracted by the fitting from actual listening ;). There is really no weakness in these IEMs. Full and dynamic if driven with enough power. EM6 makes me feel like I am listening to a full size headphone. It makes me want to take another risk by ordering another one. Can't figure out how they scan the ear molds. Shame that they couldn't get the right ear mold right so many times.

 

DYNAMIC~~~~~~ biggrin.gif

 

Quite a few flagships you've tried there! I'm gonna second Average_Joe and request an EM6 vs 8.A comparison. VERY interested to hear how these two stack up against each other, particularly given there similar sigs.

post #1935 of 4231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nulliverse View Post

 

Quite a few flagships you've tried there! I'm gonna second Average_Joe and request an EM6 vs 8.A comparison. VERY interested to hear how these two stack up against each other, particularly given there similar sigs.

In terms of bass power or ultra high detail, they have similar characters. Other than that, they are very different to my ears. Totally different two sound signatures.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)