New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

UM Aero or JH5?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Hi guys, need some help making this decision. I have spent countless hours trying to decide before making this investment but still unable to decide. With the UM Aero on a 20% discount now, should I get the UM Aero or JH5? I have tried both demos and found both to be excellent in sound quality..

 

I am very particular about aesthetic quality, so please comment if the JH audio model actually pale very much in comparision with UM?

 

Thanks.

post #2 of 11



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinte View Post

Hi guys, need some help making this decision. I have spent countless hours trying to decide before making this investment but still unable to decide. With the UM Aero on a 20% discount now, should I get the UM Aero or JH5? I have tried both demos and found both to be excellent in sound quality..

 

I am very particular about aesthetic quality, so please comment if the JH audio model actually pale very much in comparision with UM?

 

Thanks.

 

I've never heard the JH5, but from what I read it should have a bit more of an aggressive sound signature than the Aero. But you've already heard both, so you should be able to decide that for yourself. I didn't know about the 20% off on the Aero: that's a good deal.

 

My JH13 has pretty good build quality. I have maybe 3 or 4 very small bubbles in each side, and one area where it looks a little bit cloudy. All of this is hard to notice unless you really look closely. I'd call it quite acceptable. On the other hand, UM seems to somehow make their stuff completely flawless. So if that is important, and you already know you like the sound, you might go with the Aero.

 

post #3 of 11

Out of curiosity, where did you try a UM Aero demo?

JH audio quality doesn't "pale" in comparison to UM's customs, but UM's stuff is made better.

The UM Aero is supposed to be rather bass light despite having dual low drivers.  It's probably somewhat like a etymotic ER4 but more bass although still not a lot.  I don't know about the JH5. 

post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sari0n View Post

Out of curiosity, where did you try a UM Aero demo?

JH audio quality doesn't "pale" in comparison to UM's customs, but UM's stuff is made better.

The UM Aero is supposed to be rather bass light despite having dual low drivers.  It's probably somewhat like a etymotic ER4 but more bass although still not a lot.  I don't know about the JH5. 


Stereo Singapore. When I compared it to the Westone UM2 and UM3X, the Aero sounded terrible. 

 

The JH5 still had a decent fight with the UM3X and beats the UM2 by a good margin.

 

post #5 of 11

I've owned (and sold) the UMX3 and currently own the JH5.  The UMX3 had a very sweet mid-range that was addictive.  But it had a recessed high (it sounded muffled) that absolutely drove me batty. The JH5 has the better overall balanced presentation with clear and smooth highs, mids, and good lows that wasn't boomy like the UMX3s.  The custom fit of the JH5s also makes it incredibly comfortable.

 

But your mileage may vary...

 

CJ
:)

post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj3209 View Post

I've owned (and sold) the UMX3 and currently own the JH5.  The UMX3 had a very sweet mid-range that was addictive.  But it had a recessed high (it sounded muffled) that absolutely drove me batty. The JH5 has the better overall balanced presentation with clear and smooth highs, mids, and good lows that wasn't boomy like the UMX3s.  The custom fit of the JH5s also makes it incredibly comfortable.

 

But your mileage may vary...

 

CJ
:)


spot on, i couldnt tolerate the UM3X's recessed high. It sounded even more recessed than the UM2. would you say the JH5 had a better high end? I didnt get to demo it for long.

 

post #7 of 11

Zinte, I'm confused. You initially said the JH5 and Aero both sounded excellent. Then later you said the Aero sounded terrible compared to the UM2 and UM3X. Are you saying the Aero is an inferior product to those 2, or is it just one of those things where the comparison makes one sound better or worse than it really is, due to the contrast between them? 

post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

Zinte, I'm confused. You initially said the JH5 and Aero both sounded excellent. Then later you said the Aero sounded terrible compared to the UM2 and UM3X. Are you saying the Aero is an inferior product to those 2, or is it just one of those things where the comparison makes one sound better or worse than it really is, due to the contrast between them? 


sorry for the confusion. basically, the Aero was excellent until I compared it to both Westones, because the Westones revealed so many flaws in the Aero. however the JH5 still performed better when compared to both the UM2 and Um3x. The JH5 just seemed to bridge the gap between both Westones, making it sound perfect. The um3x had too much bass and treble rolloff but still sounded more detailed and musical than Aero
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
you might also find it confusing because after listening for a longer period of time on different songs, more flaws were revealed in comparisons..
post #10 of 11


Wasn't sure if it was the tips or the cable but that recessed high was just too much on the UM3X.  I'm not sure if the JH5 has a better high end - just better balanced and comfortable for long-term listening.  Those flanges and spongy tips start to become uncomfortable after a while.  I see now why people recommend the custom IEMs.

 

CJ
:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinte View Post




spot on, i couldnt tolerate the UM3X's recessed high. It sounded even more recessed than the UM2. would you say the JH5 had a better high end? I didnt get to demo it for long.

 



 

post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinte View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

Zinte, I'm confused. You initially said the JH5 and Aero both sounded excellent. Then later you said the Aero sounded terrible compared to the UM2 and UM3X. Are you saying the Aero is an inferior product to those 2, or is it just one of those things where the comparison makes one sound better or worse than it really is, due to the contrast between them? 




sorry for the confusion. basically, the Aero was excellent until I compared it to both Westones, because the Westones revealed so many flaws in the Aero. however the JH5 still performed better when compared to both the UM2 and Um3x. The JH5 just seemed to bridge the gap between both Westones, making it sound perfect. The um3x had too much bass and treble rolloff but still sounded more detailed and musical than Aero


I see, that makes sense. Sounds like you are more of a fan of the Westone sound signature in general. I can understand that, as I really like Westone myself. But I ended up liking the Aero more than my UM3X and Westone 3. 

 

Sometimes things just don't compare well. For example, when I listen to my K701 for a while and get used to it, then switch to something like my Lawton LA7000: The LA7000 is by far the better performer overall, but after a direct switch, it seems to have distant mids. I know that it is just temporary, because I was used to the more prominent mids from the AKGs, but it takes a while to adjust. Likewise, when I go the other way: Switching from the Lawtons to the K701 makes them seem incredibly thin, to the point of me really disliking them. After a long adjustment period, I start to appreciate the tight AKG bass again. To solve this problem I've stopped switching from certain headphones directly to certain other headphones.

 

I'm not sure how long you got to spend with the Aero and the Westones, but I'd suggest taking more time to get to know each one more. If you still like the Westones more, then buy them of course. Or if you want customs, consider the ES3X or the new AC2.  

 

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: