- 5 Posts. Joined 7/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAltec Lansing inMotion iM716tagged by System, 2/23/11
- productAudio Technica cks70tagged by System, 2/23/11
- productCreative Aurvana 2 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 2/23/11
- productEtymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphonestagged by System, 2/23/11
- productEtymotic Research ER4S MicroPro Reference Earphonestagged by System, 2/23/11
- productHiFiMAN RE-400tagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 2/23/11
- productJays a jays threetagged by System, 2/23/11
- productJays a Jays twotagged by System, 2/23/11
- productJays T Jays Onetagged by System, 2/23/11More
- productMEElectronics M 11+tagged by System, 2/23/11
- productMP4Nation Brainwavz M1tagged by System, 2/23/11
- productMP4Nation Brainwavz M2tagged by System, 2/23/11
- productOrtofon e-Q5tagged by System, 2/23/11
- productShure E3c Sound Isolating Earphonestagged by System, 2/23/11
- productSoundmagic PL 21tagged by System, 2/23/11
- productVSonic GR06 Pro Dynamic Noise Isolation Earphones Earbudstagged by System, 7/23/12
- productWestone UM2 stage monitorstagged by System, 2/23/11
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Any classical musicians or regular classical concertgoers here using IEMs? Last post on 12/4/12 at 11:50pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best IEM for under $100? Last post on 7/30/13 at 5:52am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Which three IEM's covers it all? Last post on 1/2/14 at 8:26am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Tricky first foray in a brave new world - advice on budget IEMs Last post on 8/18/12 at 10:46am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/4/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/7/14
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
I purchased the Audio Technica ESW9a. These have African Paduak shells rather than the cherry of the Japanese release. The ESW9a is made in Japan. Physical: First, these are most...
Build Quality & Design The build quality on these isn't so good in the long run, the entire headphone is mostly constructed out of plastic the only metal part on these cans would be the earcups,...
First off my gear is HeadRoom Micro DAC and Amp.(I don't see how people get by without the crossfeed circuit on older rock recordings) Out of the rather cheap box the high-end was brittle and harsh...
Note: All of my listening impressions of the Stax SR-202 were done with a Stax SRM-313 amplifier, which was hooked up to an AMB y2 DAC via the RCA input with SKW JIB braided interconnects. For the...
I will bypass the quality of their sound, as pretty much everyone has covered this topic above me... I have to say, I was not impressed with their cable quality, but apart from this, it seems to...
Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013) - Page 67post #991 of 122512/21/12 at 5:56pmHello, first I want to congratulate you for the great comparison of IEM.I wanted to ask a couple of things.I have a cowon Z2, with SoundMagic e10, "No Amp"My taste in music is varied, but for now I'm just listening to K-popI'm between the GR07 and BA200 actually UMX3 would I like some, but its price is not really like xD.Of all the review I read, no one talks about his musical taste, then I can not make a comparison.Sorry for my English.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #992 of 122512/21/12 at 6:29pm
In my view...
The gr07 and ba200 are similar in quality, but different in presentation. Whether you're listening to k-pop or classical music, I'm not really of the opinion that most people have of "gearing a headphone to a style of music". Don't get me wrong, there will be some that perform better with certain properties of sound. But I go for overall quality and functionality. In this instance, I think most people would recommend the gr07 for k-pop. They will definitely give you more thumping bass and some instruments in the mid/treble range will stand out more. So the music style might sound a bit more "lively" than the ba200.
But if it were me, i would buy the ba200. They sound more flat and more flat is what the artist intended you to hear. The ba200 still have good bass for a ba iem, but the overall sound is so much smoother between frequency areas than the gr07. There is no harsh sibilance. They have no major dips or bumps in the frequency range, unlike the gr07. The gr07 'sound' a little brighter in a certain way, but they both lack very high treble extension. While the ba200 drops of gradually and smoothly in the upper end the gr07 spikes and then falls faster, creating more uneven treble.
I find them both comfortable and well built. They gr07 trumps the ba200 in eartip options, but the ba200 just sounds better overall in my opinion.
So if you want the sound to be more lively and slightly more colored, the gr07 would do better. If you want a more even sound with fewer flaws in the FR the ba200 would be better. Just my two cents. :)
Edited by luisdent - 12/21/12 at 6:31pmpost #993 of 122512/22/12 at 12:39amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by GarbaHello, first I want to congratulate you for the great comparison of IEM.I wanted to ask a couple of things.I have a cowon Z2, with SoundMagic e10, "No Amp"My taste in music is varied, but for now I'm just listening to K-popI'm between the GR07 and BA200 actually UMX3 would I like some, but its price is not really like xD.Of all the review I read, no one talks about his musical taste, then I can not make a comparison.Sorry for my English.
If you like UM3X, BA200 will be a closer approximation. However, I'll recommend GR07 for K-pop and its more versatile sound signature over BA200.post #994 of 122512/22/12 at 4:06ampost #995 of 122512/22/12 at 5:17pmQuote:continue looking at reviews, and I'm closer to the GR07thankspost #996 of 122512/22/12 at 7:10pm
If sibilance isn't a problem for you I think you'll love the gr07. Other than the sibilance there isn't much to complain about in my opinion. I personally can't stand sibilance, but I know a lot of people here don't find it that bad and love the set anyway. The great aspect for the k-pop will definitely be the low end of the gr07. I think for the price the low end is one of the best.post #997 of 122512/22/12 at 9:12pmThread Starter
Sibilance is only a problem with normal to loud volume. GR07 is tuned to be listened in lower volume as where those peaks adds detail instead of sounding sibilant.post #998 of 122512/22/12 at 11:23pmQuote:
This is true.. While ClieOS is definitely correct saying that it is better at lower volumes though, I tested these for a while at low volumes and no matter what I did the sibilance bothered me personally. I know different people tolerate sibilance to different degrees. I have no tolerance for "certain" bands of sibilance. It usually ranges from 5khz to 10khz, being the worst around 6-8khz. The gr07 to me just hits it at the wrong point at any volume. Lower is better, but still makes it not enjoyable for me personally.
Do keep in mind everyone is different and this is my opinion. You may not be bothered by it, but it is a known issue with the gr07. If you tolerate sibilance in general you'll be fine as I've heard worse. But if you're sensitive like me, they may not do it for you.
Edited by luisdent - 12/22/12 at 11:26pmpost #999 of 122512/23/12 at 5:57amActually, I'm not an expert in sound. Also do not use many IEM I can only say that I like the ring of the E10.If sound better than the E10 I'll be very happy.The only question I have. Is whether a Z2 cowon'll have problems with the sound. Or will I have to buy an amplifierpost #1000 of 122512/26/12 at 8:07ampost #1001 of 122512/26/12 at 6:20pmThread Starter
If you are talking about similarity, PR401 has a slightly sharper treble, which is closer to E10. Consonance will be smoother in comparison.post #1002 of 122512/30/12 at 9:34amThread Starter
Rock It Sounds R10, R11, R20, R30 and R50 added.
Mid 38. Rock it Sounds R-10 (link)
Warm, laid back and somewhat mid centric. Bass begins to roll off after mid bass and disappear completely around 30Hz. Similar fashion of roll off can be observed on the treble region right above 12kHz, causing the lack of sparkle and air. Mid, while is the center of the presentation, is laid back, distanced and doesn’t have a lot of texture or detail to offer. With the lack of detail and air, soundstage is below average. As the lowest end of Rock It Sounds line-up, the R10 doesn’t carry any surprise. It is priced at $20 and for the most part, the sound quality is in line with other IEM that priced similarly.
Warm+Sweet 56. Rock It Sounds R-11 (link)
Similar warm and laid back sound as R10, but less mid-centric in comparison. Treble still rolls off at the top end and so sparkle and air are both missing. Bass however extends a little better than R10 with sub-bass better rendered, even though quantitatively it is still less than neutral. Mid shares the same laid back, distanced fashion as R10, lacking detail and texture. However, there are lesser ‘disconnect’ between the mid and bass, so it is overall closer to more of a warm+sweet sound rather than a mid centric sound. Soundstage is below average as well. While R11 is priced just a little higher than R10 and spots a more neutral’ish presentation, the overall sound quality is still right around the same ballpark. It is more of a different in sound signature than in actual quality.
Mid 19. Rock It Sounds R-20 (link)
Knowles Siren based single balanced armature and for the most parts it sounds very similar to SBA-01 - warm and musical with a full sounding mid, especially in the upper region. Treble is well extended though not quite as refine and lacks good sparkle. Mid is decently full with a sweet vocal, but a little harsh on the upper region when in loud volume. Bass is quite deep with a good speed and impact but not vest in body. Soundstage is about average. Given the similarity between sensitivity and impedance, it is likely R-20 and SBA-01 have the same Siren driver, the only noticeable difference in sound is that R-20 is a tiny bit more upfront. But it isn’t different enough to notice without very close A/Bing.
Pro: Same as SBA-01 but cheaper.
Con: Out performed by newer Siren.
Mid 17. Rock It Sounds R-30 (link)
Warm, mid-centric with a similar but thicker, fuller and more upfront presentation when compared to R-20. Treble is decently extended but lacks good sparkle. Mid is full, sweet and rather thick, though smoother on the upper region due to the fullness. Bass has decent speed and impact, and also a little thick on the body. Soundstage is decent, would have been better if not somewhat limited by the thickness of the presentation. R-30 can be said to be a fuller sounding R-20, but the fundamental of the sound quality hasn’t been changed by much. At most, it is just a tiny step-up.
Pro: Ear sleeves for comfort.
Cons: Size. A bit expensive over R-20.
Analytical 2. Rock It Sound R-50 (link)
A midpoint between B2 and GR01. B2 is leaner on bass, fairly neutral while bright and sparkly. GR01 focuses more on a warmer and well textured bass and mid, but with a smoothed out treble. R-50 on the other hand has the same kind of brightness as B2, with a sense of warmth like GR01 in the bottom ends, granted it isn’t quite as well textured in comparison. Treble is well extended, crisp and sparkly. Mid is well textured and slightly upfront. Bass is well extended as well, with a good sense of body. However, R-50 is closer to ‘B2 with a warmer, better bodied bass’ rather than ‘GR01 with a sparkly high’. As far as overall sound quality goes, it is right about the same level as GR01. Even though it does offer better treble extension and a more upfront presentation than GR01, it doesn’t have the same textured and hard hitting bass to lower mid. This makes it more analytical sounding than warm+sweet sounding, but it is still a very good compromise between the two. Soundstage is quite good. The warmer tone adds back the layers missing in B2 while still retains the same excellent separation.
Pro: Price. Dual driver with a top-tier sound.
Con: Warranty terms.post #1003 of 12251/2/13 at 7:05pm
SONY MH1C (personal experience)
- Good sound quality (better than my old sennheiser mm 50 and cx 400ll )
- lots & lots of bass (i actually use bass reducer in equalizer)
- Tangle-free cord
- ill-fitting ( earbuds tend to slip out because of slippery nature of material used)
- Poor cord design (though tangle-free but its very difficult to set the cord )
- Alot of cord rubbing noise when walking
- Hard to drive (have about 70 % of loudness fore-mentioned sennheisers, when used with iphone )
I tried both mh1 and mh1c with iphone and both work pretty well. Sound controls cannot be used in both.But play-pause button does work, quick double pressing of this button also changes the song.
Edited by shaiby - 1/2/13 at 7:06pmpost #1004 of 12251/4/13 at 10:23pmpost #1005 of 12251/6/13 at 4:28pmAny thoughts about the Meelectronics CW31 for classical and jazz? They're only $25 online. They've been around a while but I like the look for everyday use in the office. I'd like to hear from anyone with direct experience with them...
JJReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Sony MDR-1R series MK2 9 seconds ago
- › Pending: Earsonics SM3v2 31 seconds ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 36 seconds ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 2 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables - The Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX50 + Rockbox finally here (Latest Update: 2014-03-15) 3 minutes ago
- › Why would 24 bit / 192 khz flac sound any better than 16 bit / 44.1... 3 minutes ago
- › NAD Viso HP50 Headphones 4 months old-Like new condition 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 4 minutes ago
- › Most underrated and overrated headphone? For a bit of fun :) 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphones by bjmr
- › Sony X Headphones MDR-X10 by DigitalGrounder
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by chrismini
- › Stax SR-202 by JustinBieber
- › AKG K 518 LE Limited Edition Folding Headphones - Red by kalpman
- › Sennheiser CX 685 SPORTS In-Ear Canal Headphones - Black by wrathzombie
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by Head-Head
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by G2F
- › ALO Audio The National by pieman3141
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude