This is a superb write up! The perfect tool for the uninitiated people like me! You are a star, ClieOS! Thanks mate!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAltec Lansing inMotion iM716tagged by System, 2/23/11
- productAudio Technica cks70tagged by System, 2/23/11
- productCreative Aurvana 2 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 2/23/11
- productEtymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphonestagged by System, 2/23/11
- productEtymotic Research ER4S MicroPro Reference Earphonestagged by System, 2/23/11
- productHiFiMAN RE-400tagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 2/23/11
- productJays a jays threetagged by System, 2/23/11
- productJays a Jays twotagged by System, 2/23/11
- productJays T Jays Onetagged by System, 2/23/11More
- productMEElectronics M 11+tagged by System, 2/23/11
- productMP4Nation Brainwavz M1tagged by System, 2/23/11
- productMP4Nation Brainwavz M2tagged by System, 2/23/11
- productOrtofon e-Q5tagged by System, 2/23/11
- productShure E3c Sound Isolating Earphonestagged by System, 2/23/11
- productSoundmagic PL 21tagged by System, 2/23/11
- productVSonic GR06 Pro Dynamic Noise Isolation Earphones Earbudstagged by System, 7/23/12
- productWestone UM2 stage monitorstagged by System, 2/23/11
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Any classical musicians or regular classical concertgoers here using IEMs? Last post on 12/4/12 at 11:50pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best IEM for under $100? Last post on 7/30/13 at 5:52am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Which three IEM's covers it all? Last post on 5/1/14 at 1:03pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Tricky first foray in a brave new world - advice on budget IEMs Last post on 8/18/12 at 10:46am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
I don’t get asked very often about the Private 333 amongst the Fitear customs I own. Nor do you hear people raving about it as you might in respect of the C435, the MH 334 and the MH335DW....
Before I begin with my review of the Beyerdynamic XP1, all of the below are solely what I’ve managed to get out of the IEM, I suggest to try it out or read some other people’s review to get a...
See The Whole Review With Pictures Here: http://db-headphones.blogspot.com ... Oh and ignore the sliders for the audio quality, value etc. I can't edit the slider scoring on mobile. Disclaimer: I...
Disclaimer First of all, huge thanks to Audrey and the Brainwavz team for giving me the opportunity to write this review. Please note that I was not paid to write this review, nor am I...
First, the normal boilerplate stuff - Audio setup - FLAC files in Media Monkey -> Amazon Basics TOSLINK cable -> Schiit Bifrost w/Uber upgrade -> Knukoncept Shielded RCAs -> Project Ember...
Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013) - Page 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 12312/24/11 at 8:07am
Nice review as always. I generally agree, although I don't think RE0 and DBA-02 are really analytical. RE0 is a tubey, somewhat compressed sounding IEM that is certainly very detailed, but also balanced throughout the spectrum, except for the slight roll off in the sub bass. If you perceive it as thin and cold, then you are either used to bass heavy headphones or you are not getting a good fit. With the stock dual flange tips, RE0 leaves the balanced territory and enters the warm and sweet territory IMO. Plenty of bass punch and midrange presence with sweet, beautiful treble.
DBA-02 is balanced IMO, provided that you get a good fit. It is a bit emphasized in the bass and treble. It is forward and extremely detailed, analytical and musical all at the same time. It's not exactly sweet and there is some sense of coldness in the treble, but bass and mids are smooth and on the warm side. Treble is not as sweet as on RE0, nor as high quality, but very good. Mids don't have the same sense of warmth that RE0 has, but they are sweetened in a different way - they are brought forward and given extra fullness and air. In the bass, DBA-02 is trying to mimic dynamics and does it very well for a BA - there is definitely some dynamic-like rumble and texture present in the low end, unlike Etymotic ER4 for example, where the bass is very different from dynamics: clearly tighter and more controlled with modest impact only when it is present on the recording and is made possible by the quality of the source.
I agree that Etymotic ER4S is analytical, but the P is more colored and I would say mid centric. The bass is all there and present, but the dominating part of the spectrum with ER4P is the midrange, it is forward, engaging and extremely detailed but not agressive. The treble is a bit in the background compared to the mids. Not recessed, but not dominating in any way either. The sound of ER4P reminds me a lot of SE530, just a little less smooth and warm.post #33 of 12312/24/11 at 8:12ampost #34 of 12312/24/11 at 8:49amThread Starter
I don't think I'll disagree with what you are saying here, perhaps just the different way we classify them. As I have said on another reply, some IEM are in the gray zone - takes DBA-02 for an example, it is fairly balanced sounding but also very detail. There is nothing wrong to put it into either group, but it has to be one or the other, or else I'll just end up with way too many categories which in term defeats the purpose of keeping this thread simple. So the decision is made by first impression, as in what grabs my first attention when I am listening to them. If it is the "detailness" of the presentation, then it goes to analytical; if it is the "balancedness" on the presentation, then it goes to balanced, etc. For DBA-02, it is the overall brightness that takes my attention, and so it goes into analytical.post #35 of 12312/25/11 at 4:28am
Just a question, I already own ER4S and E7 with an LOD, this is my current set up. I was wondering should I buy the minibox-ES from head-direct or should I instead buy Ultimate Ears TripleFi they both cost the same for me.
What you guys thing? I love ER4S as it is but I was thinking perhaps it would be fun to try a different IEM sound signature than just improve the same signature of ER4. I am not sure maybe the ER4 is yet to reach its full potential with a better amp
Thanks in advance :)post #36 of 12312/25/11 at 5:09amThread Starter
On one hand I can see ER4S scale up with the MiniBox-ES, on the other hand I know for sure TF10 offer a different sound compared to ER4S. Personally I don't see fault in either choice. However, from purely an economy start point, MiniBox-ES has better resell value than TF10 - so if it purely an experiment to find a different sound, I'll get the MiniBox-ES first, if I am not very happy about it, sell it and get the TF10 instead. Sure you will lose some money in the process, but with luck it shouldn't be too much. However, if the goal is to just buy one of them and keep it, I'll probably opt for TF10 first.post #37 of 12312/25/11 at 5:27am
^thank you I am the kind who likes to keep things because as soon as I sell it I want it back again! I rather have it and down the track eventually buy the thing which makes it sound better. So TF10 it is :)
My next goal is changing my DAP and AMP(waiting for fiio to see what they have for us stored in the sleeves) and eventually Westone 4. Once I get Westone 4 I probably either save up for a custom IEM or spend the money on a Burson 160D. It is so hard to be an audiophile on a university student budget :( Cannot wait till I graduate!post #38 of 12312/25/11 at 5:38ampost #39 of 12312/25/11 at 5:42ampost #40 of 12312/25/11 at 6:51ampost #41 of 12312/25/11 at 7:36ampost #42 of 12312/25/11 at 7:48am
Are you sure about the ES having good resale value? I remember a while back there was someone trying to sell the Minibox ES for a couple months with not much luck.
This is definitely a great thread and will definitely be a help to many since we tend to have an idea of what we want but sometimes reviews make it difficult to determine the signature especially for newcomers since many reviews here are full of technical terms and are difficult to understand for people who are unfamiliar with those terms.post #43 of 12312/25/11 at 8:07amThread Starter
A new MiniBox-ES is about $200, so a mint condition should easily go for $150. It is however harder to sell a pair of TF10 for $150 because now there are those who expect to pay $100 new (blaming Amazon for that). So you are more likely to sell it for less than $150. Also, used IEM tends to drop value much faster then amp once you have it for some time.post #44 of 12312/25/11 at 6:55pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Amp recommendations for Fostex TH900? 2 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 3 minutes ago
- › Recommendations please. 5 minutes ago
- › Why so much gain? 6 minutes ago
- › NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!! 8 minutes ago
- › Durable IEM upgrade? 8 minutes ago
- › IEM's or Headphones...? 10 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Need help choosing new gear headphone or IEM or DAC 12 minutes ago
- › FitEar Private 333 by Kiats
- › Beyerdynamic XP1 by SawItComing
- › Audio-Technica ATH-WS77 SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan Import) by DisCHORDDubstep
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by thatBeatsguy
- › Fostex TH 900 by smitty1110
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by aquamacs
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM02 balanced amature inner earphone by thatonenoob
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by thatonenoob
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by H20Fidelity
- › Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 by smitty1110
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)