Hi I'm looking to purchase a new pair of headphones/earbuds in the near future and I wanted to see what suggestions you guys have for me.
I currently have a pair of Sennheiser CX 300 earbuds (they sound all right; the bass is pretty prevalent but sometimes the high and some mid sounds hurt my ears when I listen to my music even when the volume is fairly low) which replaced my original V-Moda Vibe earbuds (nice bass but highs and mids were muddy).
My parents recently purchased me a pair of Skullcandy Hesh headphones which sound all right as well (the bass seems to be more defined with these than the CX 300's and the sound stage seems to be more open, I'm not sure how to word it). Although these sound okay, they're big and bulky since they don't fold or lie flat, making them rather cumbersome to carry around.
I have a budget of less than $300 at the moment so I was looking for a pair of headphones or earbuds that have a nice bass, accurate sound, and also look fairly stylish. I would prefer headphones that fold or lay flat since I'm a college student and when I don't need them around my head I would like to store them in my backpack safely.
The types of music I like to listen to are quite unique, I like Chinese-pop, Korean-pop, Japanese-rock, American pop, and some techno. I will primarily be using the headphones/earbuds at school, on the bus/carpool, and at home using either my iPod Touch or Macbook.
I've looked through some of Head-Fi's forum posts and I think I've narrowed it down to a few headphones:
(Not in any particular order)
- Studio Beats by Dre-White (they have the nice bass sound but people say the overall sound quality is pretty muddy; I haven't had much time with these at the Apple store so I can't say for sure)
- Audio Technica ATH-M50 (highly respected in the Head-Fi community as it seems with decent bass and accurate sound quality)
- Ultrasone HFI-580 (also another respected heaphone in this community, I was thinking of purchasing these but my friends think the M50's look cooler >_<')
- Phiaton MS-400 (I've read that these are pretty good for the amount of bass they output)
- Monster Turbine Pro Copper (I haven't looked into these much but I've heard they're actually pretty decent)
In these forums I've read mixed opinions for the bass level of the M50's and the 580's. On one review it said that the M50's had better bass, but on a newer thread one review said that the 580's were pretty close to the Studio Beats.
Thanks in advance for any help/advice you guys can provide! :)
I decided to post a poll since I think it would help me decide which one you guys recommend.