- 580 Posts. Joined 10/2010
- Location: New Orleans
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones with unusually large drivers Last post on 7/24/12 at 3:52am in Headphones (full-size)
- Black Friday / Cyber Monday 2012 - Deals Last post on 7/7/13 at 8:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Advice needed on a 'final' TOTL Electrostatic amp within $2k price range. Last post on 10/24/12 at 6:48pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Would you sell your whole collection for just one SR009/amp Last post on 2/4/14 at 7:28am in High-end Audio Forum
- Choosing between ATH M50 vs Philips Fidelio L1 Last post on 10/4/12 at 2:26am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Ok we'll these were my first over ear headphones I fell in love with and there's plenty of reasons for that, I'll talk about the durability, comfort level and mind blowing bass first -...
My video review for those interested: The VS3S is a VSONIC’s latest earphone, and they have made a big claim. That is that these VS3S as well as their brother VSD3(at the current price of...
Introduction I got these headphones around the national holiday. These came out about 2 years after I had got my K701. I was first attracted by its classy design and colour. I thought I would...
I am one of the lucky ones to get a chance to be reviewer in the HE-400i "tour". HiFiMAN has intrigued me since the start of my Head-Fi journey. The HE-400 was the first headphone I purchased...
Note: Much of this comes from a review I wrote and posted elsewhere a month or so ago, but with some editing and organizational tweaks. I have wanted to do a full Alpha Dog review for a while,...
Stax Sigma wood mesh housing? - Page 7post #91 of 1072/12/12 at 6:50pmI think it is calling you to try.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #92 of 1072/12/12 at 9:20pmThread Starter
The 407 Sigmas were a failure no doubt about it. I took a step back and enjoyed the O2 Mk1 I bought at the time. The diy sigmas with lambda pro drivers are not bad at all. I swapped out the mineral wool and replaced it with pure cotton balls that i pulled apart. It was a noticeable improvement for me.The 407 drivers in that new plastic housing sound something like bongos with any tap on the diy housing that I made. I just tore them apart and am going to try and turn them into the old style drivers.
Edited by jaycalgary - 2/12/12 at 9:21pmpost #93 of 1072/12/12 at 10:56pm
I would if it didn't cost so much. I think it's at least 120 dollars for the two cups. That's a spendy failure if the structure flexes and causes coloration... There's always making the backplate with steel bronze, but I think it's too costly and too heavy. I'll look more closely at it after I'm done with my kgsshv.
Bongos. Haha. Is it really that bad? I thought that the way the drivers are mounted in the 407 plastic enclosure means that there'll be less coloration?
Edited by ujamerstand - 2/12/12 at 11:13pmpost #94 of 1077/18/12 at 9:37pmpost #95 of 1077/23/12 at 2:14pmQuote:
Yeah when used in a 407 housing. I guess it goes to show that you really can't mix new with old.post #96 of 1077/25/12 at 10:29pmThread Starter
The 407's were scraped it was hopeless because of the hollow sound the 407 drivers gave. I will try again some day with the older drivers because it was a fun project and had those housings as solid as I think they would need to be.
Edited by jaycalgary - 7/26/12 at 12:02ampost #97 of 1078/3/12 at 6:57am
I'm trying to make the enclosures (using a slotted Aluminum Grill II bought on Ebay)
I see this is the top and bottom but does anyone have the side measurements?post #98 of 1078/8/12 at 4:08am
the width of the side walls is plain b.c I know the top and bottom dimensions
but the height of the side walls isn't clear, does anyone know it?, It would be the same height for all of them.
Edited by scott16 - 8/8/12 at 4:09ampost #99 of 10710/6/12 at 2:16amThread Starter
I have been listening to a factory pair of Sigma pro's for a week or so. Sure gave me the itch to make a new pair. I have read the people like how the 303 drivers sound so I will try to find a pair. It sure won't be any of the new type drivers. It is going to take me a while to build being away busy with work but I think I have a great idea. It is not really going to be a Sigma. It is a different shape but I think it is going to have way better treble extension and an even wider soundstage. I am going to make a model of the housing a put a picture up if anyone would like to see. I also found a website "CNC Machine shop" that makes parts if I draw it out in their CAD program.post #100 of 10710/6/12 at 6:06pm
The 303 and 404 drivers appear to be identical - the differences between the two models lies in the cord between the amp and phones. It would be interesting to see what you come up with design wise.
Treble extension isn't too much of a problem with the Sigma Pro or Sigma/404. The Sigma normal bias had a marked roll off in the treble however.
Currently listening to Derek And The Dominos - Live At The Fillmore via the Sigma/404.
Edited by John Buchanan - 10/6/12 at 6:10pmpost #101 of 10710/7/12 at 10:19amThread Starter
My idea turned out to be very impractical when I cut the shapes I needed to see how they would fit together. I am still going to make another one or so but this one is just going to be almost identical to the original. Looks hard to find a Sigma ark Assembly but I do have a couple extra Lamda Sig and pro ones. I think the Lambda ones are about a quarter of an inch longer. The one thing that I want to change is how close the driver is to the ear pads. There is about a quarter of empty space between in the factory pair and I want the driver as close to the earpad as possible.post #102 of 10710/14/12 at 10:31ampost #103 of 1074/16/13 at 6:47ampost #104 of 1074/16/13 at 7:50ampost #105 of 1074/16/13 at 10:31amQuote:scott16
or to be funny,
- Stax Sigma wood mesh housing?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › [A Poor Man Reviews] Sony MDR-XB70AP 53 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Is the Hifiman HE-6 clearly a league above the Hifiman HE-500? 2 minutes ago
- › ROCK JAW Testers 2 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › B.M.C. Announces PureDAC 3 minutes ago
- › Help me optimize my 1k budget 4 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice 5 minutes ago
- › Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread 5 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 6 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by 12cc2
- › VSONIC VSD3S Black High Fidelity Professional Quality Stereo... by Tom22
- › AKG K 550 by QBoQBo
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by smellyfungus
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by hans030390
- › Fostex TH 900 by archeryc
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)