- 581 Posts. Joined 10/2010
- Location: New Orleans
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones with unusually large drivers Last post on 7/26/16 at 8:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Black Friday / Cyber Monday 2012 - Deals Last post on 7/7/13 at 8:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Advice needed on a 'final' TOTL Electrostatic amp within $2k price range. Last post on 10/24/12 at 6:48pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Would you sell your whole collection for just one SR009/amp Last post on 2/4/14 at 7:28am in High-end Audio Forum
- Choosing between ATH M50 vs Philips Fidelio L1 Last post on 10/4/12 at 2:26am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I was sent a couple of the ShareMe headphones to try recently for review purposes. The name of the company isn't one that I'm familiar with but I have seen various low priced offerings on...
The ANC-G5 active noise canceling headphones can be had from Amazon for 60 USD. How does it compare to the number one noise canceling headphones, the Bose QuietComfort QC20i? Comfort The...
Preamble: Superlux – the Chinese/Taiwanese company really doesn’t need any further instruction for anyone who is at least just a little into audio and headphones. Being in the...
Commercial brands are pretty much like IT girls: should one of them flash her bare belly in the street, the next day the whole town would follow to vast enjoyment of the «other half of mankind»,...
Cayin can definitely organise master-classes "how to succeed on personal audio market". Of course with their experience on serious hi-fi market, taking over portable niche isn't hard, but so many...
Stax Sigma wood mesh housing? - Page 7post #91 of 1072/12/12 at 6:50pmI think it is calling you to try.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #92 of 1072/12/12 at 9:20pmThread Starter
The 407 Sigmas were a failure no doubt about it. I took a step back and enjoyed the O2 Mk1 I bought at the time. The diy sigmas with lambda pro drivers are not bad at all. I swapped out the mineral wool and replaced it with pure cotton balls that i pulled apart. It was a noticeable improvement for me.The 407 drivers in that new plastic housing sound something like bongos with any tap on the diy housing that I made. I just tore them apart and am going to try and turn them into the old style drivers.
Edited by jaycalgary - 2/12/12 at 9:21pmpost #93 of 1072/12/12 at 10:56pm
I would if it didn't cost so much. I think it's at least 120 dollars for the two cups. That's a spendy failure if the structure flexes and causes coloration... There's always making the backplate with steel bronze, but I think it's too costly and too heavy. I'll look more closely at it after I'm done with my kgsshv.
Bongos. Haha. Is it really that bad? I thought that the way the drivers are mounted in the 407 plastic enclosure means that there'll be less coloration?
Edited by ujamerstand - 2/12/12 at 11:13pmpost #94 of 1077/18/12 at 9:37pmpost #95 of 1077/23/12 at 2:14pmQuote:
Yeah when used in a 407 housing. I guess it goes to show that you really can't mix new with old.post #96 of 1077/25/12 at 10:29pmThread Starter
The 407's were scraped it was hopeless because of the hollow sound the 407 drivers gave. I will try again some day with the older drivers because it was a fun project and had those housings as solid as I think they would need to be.
Edited by jaycalgary - 7/26/12 at 12:02ampost #97 of 1078/3/12 at 6:57am
I'm trying to make the enclosures (using a slotted Aluminum Grill II bought on Ebay)
I see this is the top and bottom but does anyone have the side measurements?post #98 of 1078/8/12 at 4:08am
the width of the side walls is plain b.c I know the top and bottom dimensions
but the height of the side walls isn't clear, does anyone know it?, It would be the same height for all of them.
Edited by scott16 - 8/8/12 at 4:09ampost #99 of 10710/6/12 at 2:16amThread Starter
I have been listening to a factory pair of Sigma pro's for a week or so. Sure gave me the itch to make a new pair. I have read the people like how the 303 drivers sound so I will try to find a pair. It sure won't be any of the new type drivers. It is going to take me a while to build being away busy with work but I think I have a great idea. It is not really going to be a Sigma. It is a different shape but I think it is going to have way better treble extension and an even wider soundstage. I am going to make a model of the housing a put a picture up if anyone would like to see. I also found a website "CNC Machine shop" that makes parts if I draw it out in their CAD program.post #100 of 10710/6/12 at 6:06pm
The 303 and 404 drivers appear to be identical - the differences between the two models lies in the cord between the amp and phones. It would be interesting to see what you come up with design wise.
Treble extension isn't too much of a problem with the Sigma Pro or Sigma/404. The Sigma normal bias had a marked roll off in the treble however.
Currently listening to Derek And The Dominos - Live At The Fillmore via the Sigma/404.
Edited by John Buchanan - 10/6/12 at 6:10pmpost #101 of 10710/7/12 at 10:19amThread Starter
My idea turned out to be very impractical when I cut the shapes I needed to see how they would fit together. I am still going to make another one or so but this one is just going to be almost identical to the original. Looks hard to find a Sigma ark Assembly but I do have a couple extra Lamda Sig and pro ones. I think the Lambda ones are about a quarter of an inch longer. The one thing that I want to change is how close the driver is to the ear pads. There is about a quarter of empty space between in the factory pair and I want the driver as close to the earpad as possible.post #102 of 10710/14/12 at 10:31ampost #103 of 1074/16/13 at 6:47ampost #104 of 1074/16/13 at 7:50ampost #105 of 1074/16/13 at 10:31amQuote:scott16
or to be funny,
- Stax Sigma wood mesh housing?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 18 seconds ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 46 seconds ago
- › Fostex HP-V1 Portable Tube Amp 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones 2 minutes ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 2 minutes ago
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 3 minutes ago
- › Fostex HP-V1 "Portable" Tube Amp UNIQUE 6.3MM HEADPHONE JACK! 4 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 4 minutes ago
- › Meze 12 Classics review tour - worldwide reviewers wanted! 6 minutes ago
- › Mixcder ShareMe Wireless Bluetooth Headphones,Built in Mic for... by iancraig10
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by pkshiu
- › Superlux HD-668 B by HiFiChris
- › Meze 99 Classics by HansBarbarossa
- › Cayin i5 by cleg
- › MrSpeakers ETHER C by Delayeed
- › Cable Matters Gold Plated Toslink Digital Optical Audio Cable with... by Gabeh765
- › HiFime SPDIF Optical 9018 DAC by Cinder
- › ZMF Headphones x Vibro MK II by Cinder
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Turrican2
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...