or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread - Page 381

post #5701 of 6264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuneslover View Post


I was the one who contacted Sennheiser back in December and they stated that the 598 and 598SE were identical, only different colors. I have heard the beige 598's at a retailer and thought they sounded terrific but couldn't compare the SE version at the time because they weren't available at that time. I managed to snap up a pair of SE's during the Black Friday sale on Amazon because to me they were a terrific buy especially based on my memory of the beige 598's. I burned them in on continuous play for 200 hours (listening in periodically) and then packed them away as a Christmas gift to myself from my mother-in-law not hearing them for 3 weeks. Late evening Christmas day I finally had an opportunity to have some quality time with them and I thoroughly enjoyed the stupendous musical soundscape these HP's gave me, especially for the ridiculously low price that I obtained them for. Now they don't resolve as well as my HD650's but for the price I paid for the 598SE's they're amazing. As good as the beige 598's, honestly no idea but frankly who cares if there is in fact a major (?) or whatever difference, they just sound damned good. Don't forget to just enjoy the overall sound and don't get too hung up about the minutiae.

Seems like you gave yourself a hell of a Christmas gift! I hope it's not to late to wish you had a happy holiday and that the (relatively new) year is a great one for you (and everybody else as well). And of course, welcome to the SE fanclub!smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy View Post

I think I am becoming (have been for ages?) a total Sennheiser fanboy.  I got to listen to HD700/HD800 today through a HDVD 800 amp/dac.

The experience taught me a few things, possibly the most important being the HD598 is a FANTASTIC headphone for the money.  The setup they had on show was somewhere in the region of $3500 and, compared to my $80 E10K and $100 HD598, it would be like tearing up $100 bills in the shower.  It was a fantastic audio experience, but I can fully enjoy my 598s knowing that summit-fi is akin to climbing a hill for me.

Treasure your Lennons and.. wait.. what did we agree to call the beige ones?  tongue_smile.gif

Wow, so you DID get to hear the HD700 before me! You lucky guy! Now I feel so jealous. So... How do they sound? I mean, in comparison to both their little siblings the 598, 600 and 650, and his older sibling the 800? Oh, I would also like a comparison to your X2 (since you posted in the X2 thread that you were interested in comparing the two headsets)... Is that too much to ask?

So... Do we agree that from now on, the HD598 SE had been rechristened as the Lennons? I feel so complimented! Haha XD (Oh, and yes, I will treasure them for as long as I can)
post #5702 of 6264
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggiePopper View Post


Wow, so you DID get to hear the HD700 before me! You lucky guy! Now I feel so jealous. So... How do they sound? I mean, in comparison to both their little siblings the 598, 600 and 650, and his older sibling the 800? Oh, I would also like a comparison to your X2 (since you posted in the X2 thread that you were interested in comparing the two headsets)... Is that too much to ask?

So... Do we agree that from now on, the HD598 SE had been rechristened as the Lennons? I feel so complimented! Haha XD (Oh, and yes, I will treasure them for as long as I can)

 

Gave a general impression in this post.  I went again today with some better quality source files and had another listen.  In comparison to the 598, I would say the seperation is better, soundstage is wider and deeper, and the bass is increased in quantity slightly but much better controlled and with lots of texture.  Vocals were crisper and the treble was less rolled off (you could say harsher).  I would say they're generally tilted on the warmer side while somehow retaining their analytical nature.  If someone wants to stay in the Sennheiser family then IMO the 700 is the obvious choice (I haven't heard HD600).

 

Had a quick listen to the 650 through the HDVD 800 and didn't like it a whole lot.  The clamp was ridiculously tight and they just sounded like a less refined/more laid back version of the X2, to me.  Didn't really spend much time analyzing them, though.  Pretty certain I'd prefer the 598 over them.

 

The 700 and 800 are the two most comfortable and best sounding headphones I've ever heard, but I've never heard any other TOTL so take that for what it is.  The difference between them is marginal, definitely not worth 2-3x the price for the 800 to my ears.  I said it in the post I pointed to above, but there's a weird sensation with the 800 that you're not really listening to music but just experiencing it.  I'd say it's there with the 700 too, but to a lesser extent (more engaging, kind of fun).

 

They also had the X2 on demo!  In comparison with the 700, the X2 sounds... very bassy.  It's kind of obvious that the bass bleeds into the midrange when you compare them side-by-side.  There's more quantity on the X2 but it sounds boomy in comparison and not as well controlled.  700 is twice as expensive so..

 

Fun fact: I didn't hear any jaw dropping differences between the 700/800 from the HDVD 800 and from my cellphone.  I feel embarrassed admitting it - there was a difference, I could A/B them blind, but it was not earth shattering to my ears.  All of these conclusions were from the floor of a semi-noisy shop so YMMV, as they say.

 

This post went on way longer than I expected.  In closing, I believe the HD598 at $100 is still better value than the HD700 at even $425.  It is not a 4x better headphone, but you're paying for the increased technical ability and improved comfort.  I have been given permission to order mine tonight after my little girl goes to bed.  :smile:

 

Headphone porn?  Headphone porn.

 

post #5703 of 6264

@Hammy

 

Consider yourself very fortunate.  No shops with TOTL headphones from top manufacturers anywhere near me.  I think it's a major problem across the USA, unless you either live near a very large metro area like NYC or LA, or are lucky enough to have a small independent hifi shop near you, which there aren't that many of across the USA.  It's not like every large city has one.

 

Didn't you also say in another post that the 598 lets you experience the music more than the X2, more of that "I'm there" feeling?

post #5704 of 6264
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulguru View Post
 

Hey guys

What amplifier to use to relaxed the treble in this 598 ?

Anyone tryed it with AudioEngine N22 ???


Have not tried with the AE, but it does sound brighter and less bassy with my Fiio E10K than with my iphone 6.  Those are the only 2 sources I've had to compare so far.

post #5705 of 6264
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyListener View Post
 

@Hammy

 

Consider yourself very fortunate.  No shops with TOTL headphones from top manufacturers anywhere near me.  I think it's a major problem across the USA, unless you either live near a very large metro area like NYC or LA, or are lucky enough to have a small independent hifi shop near you, which there aren't that many of across the USA.  It's not like every large city has one.

 

Didn't you also say in another post that the 598 lets you experience the music more than the X2, more of that "I'm there" feeling?

 

That nice headphone setup wasn't there even late last year, so it's a relatively new thing.  Definitely feel lucky!

 

Yes, that is pretty much my opinion.  The X2 are all up in your face and can be overwhelming for long sessions (not to mention comfort..).  The bass is a nice improvement, but it becomes a bit of a novelty after a while.  The 598 feels more laid back (in comparison), more open feeling while still retaining most of the details that the X2 reveals.  They're both pretty interesting headphones, but I think I took a step in the wrong direction with the X2.  The QC issues have also taken a toll on my opinion of that headphone.  After listening to the HD700, I decided I just wanted a more comfortable, refined version of the HD598.  Hopefully it won't be too 'exciting'.

 

The only real reason I tried something different from the 598 is my pads compressed over time and my ear started touching the driver cover.  Would have been a smart move to buy a new set of pads.


Edited by Hammy - 2/9/16 at 12:44pm
post #5706 of 6264

@Hammy

 

Yeah, I've actually started considering the HD 600 myself, due to the obvious acclaim it's gotten over the years, and due to the fact that Amazon US is now selling it in a package deal for $400 which includes a $150 Amazon gift card I can use towards other stuff at Amazon in the future.  So they end up costing me $250.  Still, if it's going to require me to upgrade my Fiio E10K in order to get good sound out of it, then I'm not going to do it, at least not now.

 

I've posted in the HD 598 vs HD 600 thread, but no replies yet.  If anyone has direct experience with both 598 and 600, please share.

post #5707 of 6264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy View Post

That nice headphone setup wasn't there even late last year, so it's a relatively new thing.  Definitely feel lucky!

Yes, that is pretty much my opinion.  The X2 are all up in your face and can be overwhelming for long sessions (not to mention comfort..).  The bass is a nice improvement, but it becomes a bit of a novelty after a while.  The 598 feels more laid back (in comparison), more open feeling while still retaining most of the details that the X2 reveals.  They're both pretty interesting headphones, but I think I took a step in the wrong direction with the X2.  The QC issues have also taken a toll on my opinion of that headphone.  After listening to the HD700, I decided I just wanted a more comfortable, refined version of the HD598.  Hopefully it won't be too 'exciting'.

The only real reason I tried something different from the 598 is my pads compressed over time and my ear started touching the driver cover.  Would have been a smart move to buy a new set of pads.

Headphone porn indeed! I will visit the Sennheiser store this Friday, so I expect to catch up with you soon.

I replied to this post instead of the original one because this one caught my attention too. I remember the first time we met was when you let me know about the X2 sale back in december, and recommended me to try the X2 as an upgrade to my HD 598. Now here you are, saying that you like the 598s better.

In the last weeks I've noticed you and I have somewhat similar tastes in sound, so I would like to know, what made you change your preference? I'm asking because, before I got the 598s, I've considered the X2 (from reviews and impressions) my headphone holy grail, and my original plan was to get the 598s mainly as a "for the meantime" step before upgrading to and settling down on the king of midfi, the Fidelio X2.

But over time, I've been falling in love with my Lennons each day a little bit more and more, that I'm considering not to get the X2, and instead head for something different (currently looking at the Q701 and Hifiman HE 400S), or even not upgrade at all anymore. So your opinion is important to me and I'd like to know a bit more about what happened.

You already said that the bass has become more of a novelty than a true strength of the X2 and the "in your face" signature, but I'd like to know a little but more of what you like better about the 598's, or like less on the X2's, to the point of calling the Fidelios "a step in the wrong direction" despite saying that they are still an interesting headphone. Or you can just send me your X2 as a Valentine's day gift so I can find it out on my own (JK, sorry for the bad joke).

Cheers.
post #5708 of 6264
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggiePopper View Post


Headphone porn indeed! I will visit the Sennheiser store this Friday, so I expect to catch up with you soon.

I replied to this post instead of the original one because this one caught my attention too. I remember the first time we met was when you let me know about the X2 sale back in december, and recommended me to try the X2 as an upgrade to my HD 598. Now here you are, saying that you like the 598s better.

In the last weeks I've noticed you and I have somewhat similar tastes in sound, so I would like to know, what made you change your preference? I'm asking because, before I got the 598s, I've considered the X2 (from reviews and impressions) my headphone holy grail, and my original plan was to get the 598s mainly as a "for the meantime" step before upgrading to and settling down on the king of midfi, the Fidelio X2.

But over time, I've been falling in love with my Lennons each day a little bit more and more, that I'm considering not to get the X2, and instead head for something different (currently looking at the Q701 and Hifiman HE 400S), or even not upgrade at all anymore. So your opinion is important to me and I'd like to know a bit more about what happened.

You already said that the bass has become more of a novelty than a true strength of the X2 and the "in your face" signature, but I'd like to know a little but more of what you like better about the 598's, or like less on the X2's, to the point of calling the Fidelios "a step in the wrong direction" despite saying that they are still an interesting headphone. Or you can just send me your X2 as a Valentine's day gift so I can find it out on my own (JK, sorry for the bad joke).

Cheers.


I know you're not asking me directly, but I've had experience with all 4 headphones you've mentioned, so I'd like to chime in.  I was able to audition all 4, as well as others, at the same time.  Here's a very quick and basic summary:

 

598 (obviously my proper sounding Ivory pair) --  best SQ of all headphones I tried, best comfort overall, best value bar none, would easily pay $250-300 for this level of sound quality

 

HE400S --  most beautiful and natural midrange of all I tried, too light in the bass (but I read can be vastly improved with replacement pads), unrefined treble at times; supremely comfortable fit except for itchy earpads

 

Q701 --  very crisp, clear sound; light in bass; vocals sound good initially but after comparing to 400S, they sound a bit colored/unnatural and a bit distant at times; bigger soundstage than 598 with proper amplification; good combination of analytical and musical; bumps on headband can get painful after about half an hour

 

X2 --  if you need more bass than 598, get these.  treble can sound a bit harsh at times depending on your source and material; I found clamping force a bit too much

 

My personal feeling is that none of these are an upgrade to the 598, especially if you factor in price, but even if price was equal, I still think the 598 provides better overall SQ and comfort.  The HE400S comes closest.  If you think the 598 sounds too bassy or is lacking in the mids/vocals, or if you're willing to shell out another $30-40 on replacement pads to try to improve bass, or EQ it in, then I'd say this MAY be an upgrade for you.  Of all open cans I tried, the HE400S is the only one I kind of miss listening to a bit.

post #5709 of 6264
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggiePopper View Post


Headphone porn indeed! I will visit the Sennheiser store this Friday, so I expect to catch up with you soon.

I replied to this post instead of the original one because this one caught my attention too. I remember the first time we met was when you let me know about the X2 sale back in december, and recommended me to try the X2 as an upgrade to my HD 598. Now here you are, saying that you like the 598s better.

In the last weeks I've noticed you and I have somewhat similar tastes in sound, so I would like to know, what made you change your preference? I'm asking because, before I got the 598s, I've considered the X2 (from reviews and impressions) my headphone holy grail, and my original plan was to get the 598s mainly as a "for the meantime" step before upgrading to and settling down on the king of midfi, the Fidelio X2.

But over time, I've been falling in love with my Lennons each day a little bit more and more, that I'm considering not to get the X2, and instead head for something different (currently looking at the Q701 and Hifiman HE 400S), or even not upgrade at all anymore. So your opinion is important to me and I'd like to know a bit more about what happened.

You already said that the bass has become more of a novelty than a true strength of the X2 and the "in your face" signature, but I'd like to know a little but more of what you like better about the 598's, or like less on the X2's, to the point of calling the Fidelios "a step in the wrong direction" despite saying that they are still an interesting headphone. Or you can just send me your X2 as a Valentine's day gift so I can find it out on my own (JK, sorry for the bad joke).

Cheers.

 

I'll admit it, I was indeed guilty of jumping on the X2 bandwagon.  I recommened them to you because I had read about your interest in them, the all-time low price, and my excitement regarding my incoming pair.  I thought they were going to be end-game type headphones for me, even before hearing them.  I really don't know which of the two that I "prefer better".  I believe the X2 has more technical ability in that it can retrieve details than the 598.  This may be because of the sharper treble/in your face signature.  If I had to live with only one, for my purposes, it would be the 598.  If someone offered me the X2 signature in a 598 comfort package.. I couldn't make a decision at this point.  I may be biased because I have so many hours listening to them, but they just let you get on with listening without bothering you.  The feeling the X2 gives me is that of a backseat full of kids asking their parents "are we nearly there yet?" over and over again.  In terms of sound alone, I'd rank the HD598 at high-entry level and the X2 at mid-midfi, but I'm still new to this game myself so take my words with a ladle of salt.

 

At this point in time, I think you could have a long and happy relationship with your Lennons.

 

I think I covered your final paragraph above, but just to eleaborate I believe the X2 are more "Hi-Fi" than the 598, but I tried and just can't learn to love them.  Some main points of difference/ramblings:

 

  • X2 has greater quantity midbass and extends lower, giving you much more 'rumble' than the 598.  The trade-off from this is that the whole spectrum is warmed up and significantly coloured.
  • Midrange on the X2 is definitely recessed in comparison.  Vocals have more weight behind them, but female vocals suffer the greatest here.
  • Treble is sharper on the X2.  It's clearly rolled off on the Senns, which may or may not be a good thing depending on what you prefer.  It brings out more details because of it, but I found it to be somewhat sibilant at times (E10K powering it..).
  • Soundstage and imaging is better on the 598, no doubt in my mind but people with more experience than me will disagree.  What's the point in having a decent soundstage if it all happens inside your head?

 

I probably have more so say, but I'll stop now.  FWIW my HD700 will be here on Friday.  If you lived in Europe I'd have no problem sending my X2s for a loaner.  Really looking forward to your impressions of the HD800, if you allow yourself the luxury of listening.  ;) 

 

EDIT: Typos and such.


Edited by Hammy - 2/10/16 at 6:49am
post #5710 of 6264
@LazyListener, @Hammy: thank you both for your input. It's helped me quite a lot to make up my mind.

From what both of you say, I assume that the X2 is indeed an interesting headphone I want to try and enjoy for a while, but probably not one I'd keep, as from its sound signature against the 598, the latter suits my tastes better, so in the end it seems I'll still love my Lennons better. That or I'm just a Sennheiser fanboy (blame you, sweet Momentums!).

Or maybe not, as your impressions pushed me even more towards the Hifimans as my next step in this long stairway. But I think it'kl be years on. I'm in love with my Lennons and before I move on, I need to pamper them and give them a nice DAC/amp.
post #5711 of 6264
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulguru View Post
 

Hey guys

What amplifier to use to relaxed the treble in this 598 ?

Anyone tryed it with AudioEngine N22 ???

Anyone can help me ?

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyListener View Post
 


I know you're not asking me directly, but I've had experience with all 4 headphones you've mentioned, so I'd like to chime in.  I was able to audition all 4, as well as others, at the same time.  Here's a very quick and basic summary:

 

598 (obviously my proper sounding Ivory pair) --  best SQ of all headphones I tried, best comfort overall, best value bar none, would easily pay $250-300 for this level of sound quality

 

HE400S --  most beautiful and natural midrange of all I tried, too light in the bass (but I read can be vastly improved with replacement pads), unrefined treble at times; supremely comfortable fit except for itchy earpads

 

Q701 --  very crisp, clear sound; light in bass; vocals sound good initially but after comparing to 400S, they sound a bit colored/unnatural and a bit distant at times; bigger soundstage than 598 with proper amplification; good combination of analytical and musical; bumps on headband can get painful after about half an hour

 

X2 --  if you need more bass than 598, get these.  treble can sound a bit harsh at times depending on your source and material; I found clamping force a bit too much

 

My personal feeling is that none of these are an upgrade to the 598, especially if you factor in price, but even if price was equal, I still think the 598 provides better overall SQ and comfort.  The HE400S comes closest.  If you think the 598 sounds too bassy or is lacking in the mids/vocals, or if you're willing to shell out another $30-40 on replacement pads to try to improve bass, or EQ it in, then I'd say this MAY be an upgrade for you.  Of all open cans I tried, the HE400S is the only one I kind of miss listening to a bit.

HE400S have a light bass ??? :basshead:

In its official thread says about it as slightly bassier ....

post #5712 of 6264
So who else uses their HD598 for gaming?? I can't tell if I prefer to play with Dolby headphone on or just straight, unprocessed 5.1 mix down to stereo.. Dolby headphone just makes it so much more immersive due to the processed crosstalk rather than having sounds happen in just one ear but with lower fidelity lol!

Just thought of this because i ran into someone named Hammyking on COD yesterday, lol! @Hammy
post #5713 of 6264
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallrsk View Post

So who else uses their HD598 for gaming?? I can't tell if I prefer to play with Dolby headphone on or just straight, unprocessed 5.1 mix down to stereo.. Dolby headphone just makes it so much more immersive due to the processed crosstalk rather than having sounds happen in just one ear but with lower fidelity lol!

Just thought of this because i ran into someone named Hammyking on COD yesterday, lol! @Hammy

 

I've played quite a few games with them and had no problems whatsoever.  Very enjoyable.. think I played 70~ hours of Fallout 4 a few months ago.  I've not tried any DSP for gaming but I know I don't usually like those effects for music/movies.

 

Hehe.  Imposter.  :tongue_smile:

post #5714 of 6264
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulguru View Post
 

Anyone can help me ?

 

 

 

HE400S have a light bass ??? :basshead:

In its official thread says about it as slightly bassier ....


From my personal experience, yes, the HE400S have much less bass than the Ivory 598s, but on par with the 598SE I had.  This is with the stock earpads.  I read that replacement pads improve the bass noticeably, but I've not tried that.

post #5715 of 6264
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallrsk View Post

So who else uses their HD598 for gaming?? I can't tell if I prefer to play with Dolby headphone on or just straight, unprocessed 5.1 mix down to stereo.. Dolby headphone just makes it so much more immersive due to the processed crosstalk rather than having sounds happen in just one ear but with lower fidelity lol!

Just thought of this because i ran into someone named Hammyking on COD yesterday, lol! @Hammy


Sacrilege! As someone who (up until late 2013/early 2014) has owned virtually every gaming headset and PC gaming sound card, NOTHING holds a candle to the HD598, not even the PC350. The HD598 has such a natural, wide soundstage (probably one of the best for any headphone at any price) that using THX or Dobly headphones takes away from the experience. I can pin-point enemies off screen with ease.

 

:beerchug: 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread